What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Nearly A Moose
Posts: 896
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:28 pm

What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by Nearly A Moose » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Just closed on a new "used" house and find out that Seller left five Bose speakers installed in the ceiling, with the wires hanging out of the wall plate behind where they had their A/V unit. I'm not that familiar with Bose products, but I think they are from an Accoustimass system. Each speaker consists of two small black cubes stacked together, turned slightly offset. Each cube is about 2.5" wide. Each set has two wires that merge in a sleeve, run into the wall, and emerge with a single RCA style plug at the end. Presumably these are intended to plug into the Accoustimass module, which was not left behind. I haven't been able to find model numbers so far.

I had originally planned to wire my existing surround sound system into this room (a 5.1 system driven by an Onkyo receiver). I'm not very familiar with Bose and have always shyed away on account of the systems being so proprietary. But now I'm wondering if I can keep the speakers and plug then into my Onkyo receiver. Anyone have experience with this? Alternative is to just use the existing wires to fish cables through and use my speakers (they're not amazing but fine for my needs). Thoughts?
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

bloom2708
Posts: 5005
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:47 pm

You can probably find the acoustimass unit on eBay.

That vintage Bose setup was not that great. I had them.

Tinny sound compared to newer Bose systems. I would reuse the wires. Use your speakers for now.

Research an upgrade later.

PS I am one that likes Bose products. On our main TV we have a Bose Cinemate GS II 2.1 sound system. The acoustimass and 2 speakers. Hooked up with a single optical cable from the TV. Great sound quality. The other TV has a Bose Cinemate 15 1.1 sound system. The bass unit and one speaker. Again, amazing sound in a small package.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

runner3081
Posts: 1717
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by runner3081 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Sell them.

User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by watchnerd » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 pm

Donate for charitable deduction.
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2340
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:54 pm

DD & SIL similarly acquired a set of those in the living room of their first home about a year ago. They ignored my advice to rid themselves of them and kept them. I assume they also were left the amp or whatever powers them. The speakers are hideous imo, but they do sound better than tv speakers. Not much more than that though.

Chip
Posts: 2371
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:57 am

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by Chip » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:56 am

Apparently I don't have the refined musical ear of others, but the Acoustimass-10 system I have sounds just fine to me. From my reading online, Bose seems to be generally hated by those who consider themselves audiophiles.

My system was given to me 20 years ago. It is a 5.1 system and has the speakers you described. Your issue is that you'll need that subwoofer/crossover module to complete the system. I don't know why the prior owners took it as it seems unlikely to do them much good without the cube speakers. Maybe the first step would be to contact the previous owners, ask them if they still have it and offer them something for it.

I see some modules offered on ebay but I'd think you'd want to be sure that any module you buy matches the cubes you have. Bose made quite a few systems with that same overall design and I don't know how much the modules & cubes vary between those systems.

User avatar
dumbbunny
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:00 pm
Location: Oregon coast

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by dumbbunny » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:22 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:47 pm
You can probably find the acoustimass unit on eBay.

That vintage Bose setup was not that great. I had them.

Tinny sound compared to newer Bose systems. I would reuse the wires. Use your speakers for now.

Research an upgrade later.
I had this same system and the CD player needed repair twice. You still need a sub-woofer for it. If you can find it cheap on eBay, it might suit you. I eventually got rid of it and bought Denon and KEF speakers.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

niceguy7376
Posts: 2165
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:59 pm
Location: Metro ATL

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by niceguy7376 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:06 am

I had the same type of speakers (and sub woofer) that is currently 20 year old, handed down to me by my brother 10 years back. I connected them to my denon receiver and route all the sounds from satellite, tv, pc, dvd player and apple play into them.

So if you have a sub woofer, you could definitely use them based on my experience.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 3550
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by lthenderson » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:29 am

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:26 pm
Each set has two wires that merge in a sleeve, run into the wall, and emerge with a single RCA style plug at the end. Presumably these are intended to plug into the Accoustimass module, which was not left behind. Alternative is to just use the existing wires to fish cables through and use my speakers (they're not amazing but fine for my needs). Thoughts?
I certainly wouldn't fish new wires. If you don't like the speakers, just clip the wires at the speakers and cut the RCA style plug off the other end and put new correct ends on them if needed.

User avatar
jfn111
Posts: 955
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by jfn111 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:52 am

I use the Bose cubes in my family room and the wife loves them.

LesBleus**
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:01 am

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by LesBleus** » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:59 am

watchnerd wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 pm
Donate for charitable deduction.
Double that. Bose are only good for headphones to say the least..

Nearly A Moose
Posts: 896
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:23 pm

Interesting - the forum seems mixed. Thinking I'll try plugging them into my receiver and see what happens. Don't really care if I blow them out. But guessing I'll end up putting in my old speakers. I've read there is a big gap in then 150-280 hz range. I'm by no means an audiophile but do appreciate reasonably crisp sound, especially voice now that I can no longer consider myself youthful.

I'm guessing the owner's movers just grabbed everything that wasn't bolted down, hence their taking the module but leaving the speakers. Owner moved across country and I don't want to bother them with just this.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2340
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:23 pm
Interesting - the forum seems mixed. Thinking I'll try plugging them into my receiver and see what happens. Don't really care if I blow them out. But guessing I'll end up putting in my old speakers. I've read there is a big gap in then 150-280 hz range. I'm by no means an audiophile but do appreciate reasonably crisp sound, especially voice now that I can no longer consider myself youthful.

I'm guessing the owner's movers just grabbed everything that wasn't bolted down, hence their taking the module but leaving the speakers. Owner moved across country and I don't want to bother them with just this.
I'm not certain, but I think most Bose equipment has proprietary wiring rather than standard speaker wiring.

Chip
Posts: 2371
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:57 am

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by Chip » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:44 am

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:23 pm
Interesting - the forum seems mixed. Thinking I'll try plugging them into my receiver and see what happens. Don't really care if I blow them out. But guessing I'll end up putting in my old speakers. I've read there is a big gap in then 150-280 hz range. I'm by no means an audiophile but do appreciate reasonably crisp sound, especially voice now that I can no longer consider myself youthful.

I'm guessing the owner's movers just grabbed everything that wasn't bolted down, hence their taking the module but leaving the speakers. Owner moved across country and I don't want to bother them with just this.
I think there is a good chance you will blow them out if you put much power to them. The module you're missing has a crossover that limits the frequencies (and therefore power) going to the cubes. So keep the volume low.

If your receiver has any signal processing capabilities perhaps you can limit the frequencies going to the cubes before you try them out. I would guess restricting them to 200 Hz and above would be relatively safe.

If it were me I would bother the previous owner with an offer of money. :D

User avatar
jfn111
Posts: 955
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by jfn111 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:22 am

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:35 pm
Nearly A Moose wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:23 pm
Interesting - the forum seems mixed. Thinking I'll try plugging them into my receiver and see what happens. Don't really care if I blow them out. But guessing I'll end up putting in my old speakers. I've read there is a big gap in then 150-280 hz range. I'm by no means an audiophile but do appreciate reasonably crisp sound, especially voice now that I can no longer consider myself youthful.

I'm guessing the owner's movers just grabbed everything that wasn't bolted down, hence their taking the module but leaving the speakers. Owner moved across country and I don't want to bother them with just this.
I'm not certain, but I think most Bose equipment has proprietary wiring rather than standard speaker wiring.
I have 3 different kinds of Bose speakers, kept getting them in company contests, and none have any different wiring then any other speakers.

inbox788
Posts: 5693
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by inbox788 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:23 pm

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:26 pm
Just closed on a new "used" house and find out that Seller left five Bose speakers installed in the ceiling, with the wires hanging out of the wall plate behind where they had their A/V unit. I'm not that familiar with Bose products, but I think they are from an Accoustimass system. Each speaker consists of two small black cubes stacked together, turned slightly offset. Each cube is about 2.5" wide. Each set has two wires that merge in a sleeve, run into the wall, and emerge with a single RCA style plug at the end. Presumably these are intended to plug into the Accoustimass module, which was not left behind. I haven't been able to find model numbers so far.

I had originally planned to wire my existing surround sound system into this room (a 5.1 system driven by an Onkyo receiver). I'm not very familiar with Bose and have always shyed away on account of the systems being so proprietary. But now I'm wondering if I can keep the speakers and plug then into my Onkyo receiver. Anyone have experience with this? Alternative is to just use the existing wires to fish cables through and use my speakers (they're not amazing but fine for my needs). Thoughts?
I would just try it. What's the worst that could happen? :wink: :oops:

But it might help to first ID the speakers and check the specs if you can find them. Can you deduce the vintage?
https://community.bose.com/t5/Reviews-R ... d-p/101647
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose_speaker_packages
Two Twiddler speakers, 2 1/4", 3.2 Ohms(wired in series)

Amplifier power:L/R/C/LS/RS: 20W, <0.2% THD, 200 Hz-15 kHz,120 Vrms AC mains

Input impedance: Jewel Cube Speaker: 6.4 Ohms (two 3.2 Ohm Twiddler speakerswired in series)
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10484 ... tml?page=3

If you're not careful, it looks like there's a good chance you overpower the speakers and blow them out.

If all doesn't go well, or you don't like the sound, you might just reuse the existing wiring with your own speakers. Are the location of the speakers well placed?

Teague
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by Teague » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:05 pm

Use as weights for a rock cod rig?
Semper Augustus

bloom2708
Posts: 5005
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: What to do with Bose cube speakers left in rec room

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:23 pm
Interesting - the forum seems mixed. Thinking I'll try plugging them into my receiver and see what happens. Don't really care if I blow them out. But guessing I'll end up putting in my old speakers. I've read there is a big gap in then 150-280 hz range. I'm by no means an audiophile but do appreciate reasonably crisp sound, especially voice now that I can no longer consider myself youthful.

I'm guessing the owner's movers just grabbed everything that wasn't bolted down, hence their taking the module but leaving the speakers. Owner moved across country and I don't want to bother them with just this.
Without the bass module, they will sound like tweeters. All treble. Look for a bass module based on serial numbers on the satellite speakers.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

Post Reply