What GDPR compliant email do you use?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sksbog

What GDPR compliant email do you use?

Post by sksbog » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:14 am

With recent news events over private data hacking and news articles about Gmail and Yahoo, which said sometimes their employees see our emails to make sure the machine learning algorithms are working as expected.
I have decided to switch to a European based GDPR, privacy rules compliant email.

Have any of you done that?

JoMoney

Re: What GDPR compliant email do you use?

Post by JoMoney » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:19 am

I still use GMAIL, have a lot tied to it... but I do have a Protonmail account, and have considered moving more to that. Email is stored encrypted on the server and gets decrypted on the client browser, supposedly the key is tied only to your password and they're unable to retrieve or decrypt without it.
Apparently, they're also "GDPR" compliant
https://protonmail.com/gdpr
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:20 am

I have moved just about all of my sensitive email to Protonmail.

I still have a majority of my email going to my gmail account. I purged 95% of my old email this spring, but I don't want to leave gmail entirely. I have too much history saved in it. Often an email search is the easiest way to figure out where and when I bought something.

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:34 am

Thanks. Is paid protonmail any better than free one?

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:39 am

sksbog wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:34 am
I only have the free, the only feature paid offers that I might be interested in is more storage.
https://protonmail.com/pricing
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:07 am

Fastmail also appears to be GDPR compliant. I have found it be flexible and easy to use. I looked at ProtonMail, but couldn't think of anyone I would send an encrypted email to. Those with whom I email probably wouldn't know how to set up their client to handle encrypted email.

Will Vanguard or other financial or medical firms send their information using encrypted email?

I still get a lot of paper bills and statements because I have found that if you sign up for electronic statements, many firms insist on sending personal information unencrypted through email. Vanguard and my bank don't, you have to read everything on their web sites, which is the way it should be.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:52 am

rkhusky wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:07 am
... I looked at ProtonMail, but couldn't think of anyone I would send an encrypted email to. Those with whom I email probably wouldn't know how to set up their client to handle encrypted email...
FWIW, protonmail works just like any other email. If you send email to another protonmail user it's automatically encrypted (transparent to the users), if you specifically choose to send someone outside protonmail an encrypted message they just get a link to follow back to protonmail and enter a password/key you've shared with them to read the encrypted message.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:13 am

JoMoney wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:39 am
sksbog wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:34 am
I only have the free, the only feature paid offers that I might be interested in is more storage.
https://protonmail.com/pricing
I pay for Plus (annual) primarily to enable multiple email addresses using our own domain name. In additional to myname@protonmail.com, I have myname@mydomain.org, mywife@mydomain.org, etc. I can use the addresses for different purposes and filter the incoming email addresses accordingly.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:18 am

JoMoney wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:52 am
rkhusky wrote:
... I looked at ProtonMail, but couldn't think of anyone I would send an encrypted email to. Those with whom I email probably wouldn't know how to set up their client to handle encrypted email...
FWIW, protonmail works just like any other email. If you send email to another protonmail user it's automatically encrypted (transparent to the users), if you specifically choose to send someone outside protonmail an encrypted message they just get a link to follow back to protonmail and enter a password/key you've shared with them to read the encrypted message.
Yes, but since I have no need of this capability, I'm not sure I want to pay for it. On the other hand, perhaps Protonmail is not any more expensive for regular email than other providers (besides the advertising-supported and data analytics-supported free email). Perhaps I should give them a test drive to see how easy it is to use.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:26 am

rkhusky wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:18 am
JoMoney wrote:
rkhusky wrote:
Yes, but since I have no need of this capability, I'm not sure I want to pay for it. On the other hand, perhaps Protonmail is not any more expensive for regular email than other providers (besides the advertising-supported and data analytics-supported free email). Perhaps I should give them a test drive to see how easy it is to use.
The FREE level of protonmail suits many basic users email needs just fine.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:49 am

JoMoney wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:26 am
rkhusky wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:18 am
JoMoney wrote:
rkhusky wrote:
The FREE level of protonmail suits many basic users email needs just fine.
It appears that to use IMAP with ProtonMail you need a paid account and install a separate program. And the alias mechanism in ProtonMail looks a bit clunky and is limited to receiving emails, not sending. So, since I don't need the encryption capability, but do use IMAP and aliasing, ProtonMail for regular email isn't quite as user-friendly as some other services.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:10 am

rkhusky wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:49 am
... So, since I don't need the encryption capability, but do use IMAP and aliasing, ProtonMail for regular email isn't quite as user-friendly as some other services.
Sure... Not for everyone. Protonmail is designed with security and privacy as priorities.