Automobile Shipping

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ScottW999

Automobile Shipping

Post by ScottW999 »

I want to ship my car from NJ to AZ. Can anyone recommend a company or an individual with whom you have had a good experience? Thank you in advance.
jimcrawford01

Re: Automobile Shipping

Post by jimcrawford01 »

Beware AutoStar. The experience with AutoStar was so bad that I drove the car OR to ME this summer.
badger42

Post by badger42 »

Be aware they are basically all just brokers, who buy available slots on car carriers. Your car may go on 2 or 3 different carriers / drivers as part of the process. Also, consider the time in transit claimed to be a very rough estimate - it can easily go a couple weeks in either direction. They will then contract out local delivery from the transport hubs. This is not a "white glove" process, and it's also pretty low tech - think telephones and carbon paper on the back-end (you will not have any sort of tracking).

We ended up shipping one car (no problems) and selling the other - be careful of shipping cars not worth shipping.

If I had a car that was special to me, or particularly high value, I would make the time to drive it.

Otherwise, accept there is a small but non-zero chance you'll need to make an insurance claim. Stuff happens in transit, and most "this place was great" or "this place was awful" was dumb luck on which driver you landed.
megabad

Post by megabad »

ScottW999 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:42 pm I want to ship my car from NJ to AZ. Can anyone recommend a company or an individual with whom you have had a good experience? Thank you in advance.
Personally I would take the week off and drive it myself. I love the road and you can hit a bunch of sweet places along that route. But since you asked, we have used United in the past. They did ok I suppose. I think we paid $0.40 a mile for NH to CA but that was years ago. I would think there are cheaper companies and apps now.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Intercity

I used them to ship a higher end sports car from California to Ohio.

I had a great experience and the car arrived without issue.

It was around $1,800.
Topic Author
ScottW999

Post by ScottW999 »

Thank you all. Appreciate the advice. Hoping to find a small company that does not broker out the cars. Willing to wait for a reliable carrier.