Best deals to buy iphones

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Neoseo1300

Best deals to buy iphones

Post by Neoseo1300 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:32 am

Hi guys,

Me and my wife have had our smartphones (Samsung A5 and Iphone 6) for quite some time and we would like to get new ones (our phones are getting very slow, and only have 16gb of storage). We want to buy 2 iphones XS. My question is: what are the best deals available in that situation? We don't mind switching carriers and commit to long term plans (up to 24 months) as long as we don't end up with plans at +$70 (we currently pay $50 each and we don't want to be above that).. We don't mind paying a large sum upfront or spread over several months, as long as the overall value of the offer makes sense.

We've looked at BOGO offers but they don't seem to be worth it when you do the math. So are there other interesting offers for someone planning on buying 2 phones?

Also, is it worth waiting for the black Friday season? Do you get better deals on smartphones at that time or is it all marketing?

ps: please keep in mind that fighting about buying iphones vs other android phones is not the point of the discussion

Thanks

bloom2708

Re: Best deals to buy iphones

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:42 am

My recommendation is to pay "full" price from Apple for 2 unlocked Xs with the storage you want. No strings. There really (really) are no deals unless you are willing to go used (X) or sign long term lease or go with Sprint or T-mobile (perhaps).

Now, pair it with a plan that saves you money over the next 2-3 years.

Example: You are paying $100/month for your service. Not bad, but can you do better?

Total Wireless (Verizon) - 2 lines sharing 15GB of data (unlimited calls/unlimited texts). $57 with auto-pay.

Your plan savings is $43/month. 43 x 36 months = $1,548. (math updated)

Now, you paid up front more. But saved the equivalent of more than 1 new Xs over the 3 year period. You did a buy one get one free in reverse. Probably ended up quite a bit ahead if you go with the 64gb model.

If you use less data, you could do a Redpocket plan and pay for 1 year up front (choosing your Verizon or At&t coverage by color) and probably pay less by a bit. but much less data. 2gb or 5gb each.

Just an idea.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:51 am

Switch to Xfinity Wireless and port a number and get $200 off an iPhone. There are also some BOGO $700 off with the major carriers.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 am

I personally would wait until Black Friday if you have that option. You can usually save another $100+ per phone is my experience.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:41 am

I did bogo. What makes you think the math does not work out?

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:59 am

Neoseo1300 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:32 am
We've looked at BOGO offers but they don't seem to be worth it when you do the math. So are there other interesting offers for someone planning on buying 2 phones?
That's one of the things that I never figured out when people post how they were able to get [insert phone] for [insert discount]. You're paying for it in the contract - the cost is just spread out and potentially higher. Are you attached to a particular service provider?

Are you okay with going with the iPhone X? You'd save $100 over minor upgrades in the XS. Honestly, I would just pay up because the XS measures slightly different from the X, and the cases you buy for one will not perfectly fit the other.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:07 am

I got two iPhone Xs for half the price of two full priced phones. I stayed with my same carrier and they allowed me to kill off an old line for the new one. I am not paying any more than exactly what was outlined. I don't understand why people think its not what is advertised. My plan hasn't changed. Nothing has changed and the credits are coming through.

So again, why are people suggesting its not what is advertised?

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:26 am

BOGO is the cheapest way. Also buy one or two generation iphone to save money. Normally cellphone company will promote their plan during thanksgiving season. if you are qualified for senior plan, use their discounted plan.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:34 am

NextMil wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:07 am
I got two iPhone Xs for half the price of two full priced phones. I stayed with my same carrier and they allowed me to kill off an old line for the new one. I am not paying any more than exactly what was outlined. I don't understand why people think its not what is advertised. My plan hasn't changed. Nothing has changed and the credits are coming through.

Because you end up paying no matter what. If you are with corp Verizon or AT&T, your monthly plan is likely significantly higher than other MVNO plans out there.

I was trying to point out your total cost may be much higher looking for a BOGO phone deal. Yes, you stay with your carrier, but if your bill is $150 or $200 or more (they often are), you are paying. It is just being absorbed into your higher plan cost. The point is you are paying one way or the other.

My sister-in-law have 5 phones on Verizon corp. They struggle with data being used up. Their bill is north of $260/month. An all Unlimited plan on Cricket (with an unlocked iPhone) is $125/month. But, you don't get "phone deals". The deals are not deals. When you are taking the hit in your service portion.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:43 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:26 am
BOGO is the cheapest way. Also buy one or two generation iphone to save money. Normally cellphone company will promote their plan during thanksgiving season. if you are qualified for senior plan, use their discounted plan.
BOGO only works if you add a new line. DW and I already have our lines, so I don't think we would get it and not sure about killing off an old line means an active one, wouldn't want to have to get a new number for either of us and update the world with a new number.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:47 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:34 am
NextMil wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:07 am

Because you end up paying no matter what. If you are with corp Verizon or AT&T, your monthly plan is likely significantly higher than other MVNO plans out there.

I was trying to point out your total cost may be much higher looking for a BOGO phone deal. Yes, you stay with your carrier, but if your bill is $150 or $200 or more (they often are), you are paying. It is just being absorbed into your higher plan cost. The point is you are paying one way or the other.

My sister-in-law have 5 phones on Verizon corp. They struggle with data being used up. Their bill is north of $260/month. An all Unlimited plan on Cricket (with an unlocked iPhone) is $125/month. But, you don't get "phone deals". The deals are not deals. When you are taking the hit in your service portion.
Oh. Ok. That makes sense. I have never really looked at MVNO's before. So with multiple lines on an account is it easy to deal with or do you have to have a bunch of different accounts? Obviously, I cannot make the jump now, but could be interesting for the future. My family is data hogs though, we go through something like 25-30 gigs a month in data alone.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:52 am

Thegame14 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:43 am
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:26 am
BOGO only works if you add a new line. DW and I already have our lines, so I don't think we would get it and not sure about killing off an old line means an active one, wouldn't want to have to get a new number for either of us and update the world with a new number.
You can always switch around difference cell companies and keep your old phone numbers.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:53 am

not going to leave Verizon to save a couple buck and have worse service....

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:55 am

NextMil wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:47 am
Oh. Ok. That makes sense. I have never really looked at MVNO's before. So with multiple lines on an account is it easy to deal with or do you have to have a bunch of different accounts? Obviously, I cannot make the jump now, but could be interesting for the future. My family is data hogs though, we go through something like 25-30 gigs a month in data alone.
We have one account with Cricket. 5 phones (variety of iPhone 7 and 8 all purchased unlocked).

3 teens that rip through data like wildfire. $125 includes all taxes and fees. The top data speed is capped, but with all of us, we can stream music, watch video, netflix, whatever you want, so the cap speed really doesn't come into play. Others may find slower capped data criminal. That is fine.

If you focus on only a phone deal, you might be missing the forest for the trees. There are a lot of scenarios. Work paying for the plan may be a factor. If work pays, people don't try to get a deal on the service plan. They may try to get a deal on a phone if they have to pay.

There are some good MVNO plans that people don't know about or think is too much work to switch. It is really no harder than anything else.

Move line one to Cricket, transfer the number in the plan purchase transaction. SIM card arrives. Insert in phone, turn on and activate. Number is now ported.

Now do line 2, then do line 3. It may take 2 weeks to move each line. You can typically only have one transfer in process, so you do them sequentially.

I tell my kids now, I don't care if you put wi-fi on. :wink: :o :D

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:58 am

Thegame14 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:53 am
Great. Stay the course. How many times per month/year do you contact Verizon Service once you are up and running? Shouldn't be many.

Many options use Verizon towers for coverage. So that service would not be different.

Many paths.

For my sister-in-laws family, they could save $150/month in service. That is an extra vacation each year. To some that matters, others meh..just money.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:59 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:51 am
Switch to Xfinity Wireless and port a number and get $200 off an iPhone. There are also some BOGO $700 off with the major carriers.
I did this with Tmobile, best deal I could find at the time. $120 all in for 2 lines unlimited + they pay for my netflix.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:01 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:58 am
Thegame14 wrote:
Great. Stay the course. How many times per month/year do you contact Verizon Service once you are up and running? Shouldn't be many.

Many options use Verizon towers for coverage. So that service would not be different.

Many paths.

For my sister-in-laws family, they could save $150/month in service. That is an extra vacation each year. To some that matters, others meh..just money.
I pay $130 per month, that is including the phone payments, going to go down to $115 per month next month once payments and credits are done for two iphones...... on Verizon, so tell me how much I can save with another company with worse service?

Also that includes $18 in insurance, going to take at least one phone off insurance, so then it will be $106 per month for two iphones.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Also appears that MVNOs are no frills. Tethering and prioritization are important to me and could be a deal breaker.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:42 pm

We pay via autopay, $60 for 2 lines unlimited data, no throttling on TMobile 55+. It’s cheaper and better than the plan we were on before where we paid more for 4 lines and less unthrottled data. I have a line with D as 2nd user on it and H has one with S as his 2nd user.

I have not purchased a new phone but will be considering it one of these days. My 6s is still serving my needs nicely. It was purchased unlocked from Apple store as a Christmas gift from my son.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:11 pm

When you buy iphone through particular carrier, be careful about the cell modem iphone use. It may work as LTE at one carrier and not work at other carrier. The Sprint and Verizon iphone is usually duel CDMA and GSM modemm AT&T and TM iphone are only GSM. So I would get a Sprint or Verizon iPhone deal 1st and then switch around.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:48 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:01 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Thegame14 wrote:

Many paths.

I pay $130 per month, that is including the phone payments, going to go down to $115 per month next month once payments and credits are done for two iphones...... on Verizon, so tell me how much I can save with another company with worse service?

Also that includes $18 in insurance, going to take at least one phone off insurance, so then it will be $106 per month for two iphones.
See post #2 in this thread. $50 per month minimum. $600 per year. $1,800 over the ~3 year life of a phone.

Might be reasonable or not. Depends. Assumes you buy phones. So less than $50 if phones paid in $130.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:05 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:48 pm
Thegame14 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:01 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Thegame14 wrote:

Many paths.

See post #2 in this thread. $50 per month minimum. $600 per year. $1,800 over the ~3 year life of a phone.

Might be reasonable or not. Depends. Assumes you buy phones. So less than $50 if phones paid in $130.
The $130 includes payment on both phones, but also includes a trade in credit which was a great deal, I got $650 credit my wife got $400 credit for our IPhone 6 and 5s when we traded up to the IPhone 7

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:33 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:42 am
My recommendation is to pay "full" price from Apple for 2 unlocked Xs with the storage you want. No strings. There really (really) are no deals unless you are willing to go used (X) or sign long term lease or go with Sprint or T-mobile (perhaps).

Example: You are paying $100/month for your service. Not bad, but can you do better?

Total Wireless (Verizon) - 2 lines sharing 15GB of data (unlimited calls/unlimited texts). $57 with auto-pay.

Now, you paid up front more. But saved the equivalent of more than 1 new Xs over the 3 year period. You did a buy one get one free in reverse. Probably ended up quite a bit ahead if you go with the 64gb model.

If you use less data, you could do a Redpocket plan and pay for 1 year up front (choosing your Verizon or At&t coverage by color) and probably pay less by a bit. but much less data. 2gb or 5gb each.

Just an idea.
This!
I have done exactly opposite (went with a large carrier, and got a phone "free" but it really wasn't, they were giving me credit on an ongoing basis, while keeping me on their expensive plan), and have realized that it costs more in the long run. Buying new phones from apple is the way to go. Or buying refurbished from apple.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:52 am

TheOscarGuy wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:33 am
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:42 am

Just an idea.
This!
I have done exactly opposite (went with a large carrier, and got a phone "free" but it really wasn't, they were giving me credit on an ongoing basis, while keeping me on their expensive plan), and have realized that it costs more in the long run. Buying new phones from apple is the way to go. Or buying refurbished from apple.
But if you only keep the phone 2 years like I do, this is very close to a wash and you lose tethering and prioritization (which if you live in a major city and there is a disaster guess what happens to your calls on a cut rate plan? No thanks. I can also trade in my phones on Verizon and get credit towards my bill.

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:53 am

I bought a refurbished iPhone SE from the Apple store. Decent price and has been very durable. Also, the size phone I want

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:57 am

Thegame14 wrote:
I have Xfinity mobile. My LTE carrier is, wait for it...

Verizon.

The way to save on an iPhone is by buying used or older generation or a model out of favor (and possibly being phased out). Apple are premium products and if you want the latest greatest you must pay one way or another. The SE is usually a discounted phone — assuming it fits your needs. I’m not in the market (have 6S+ currently) but if I were, I’d look into an iPhone 8 because it fits my needs (2 sizes to choose from, Touch ID) and I could get a discount. It’s a late enough model for me to expect years of use.

hmw

Post by hmw » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:15 pm

This will not be applicable to most people. My wife just bought the latest iPhone at a discount. One of her relatives works for Apple. He can buy apple products at "friends and family" price at a 10% discount.

rj49

Post by rj49 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:08 pm

I buy older models on swappa.com, but in mint condition. Sellers have to show detailed photos of the phone and any imperfections, and all purchases are paid by paypal and have guarantees. It's sort of like an ebay just for phones. I bought a new-looking iphone SE for $120 on there.

As others have said, how much you pay for the phone can easily be dwarfed by plan costs. For those who like Verizon, you can get the Verizon network, unlimited data capped at 5mbps, for $40, with no taxes or fees, through their Visible wireless service. I tried it out but unfortunately live in a Verizon dead zone.

I get the best coverage through T-Mobile, so I have a Mint mobile plan for $25 a month for 10GB of data, with tethering and additional costs for roaming abroad. I might switch to the T-Mobile senior plan for $50 for everything, or $55 military plan (with Netflix, international roaming, and tethering). I actually like having data capped now, since it puts a limit on internet/phone addiction.

ATT offers unlimited prepaid for $55/month or $40 for 8GB, with various features, and I remember seeing some good deals on older iphones through ATT prepaid at Best Buy.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:59 pm

HIinvestor wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:42 pm
We pay via autopay, $60 for 2 lines unlimited data, no throttling on TMobile 55+. It’s cheaper and better than the plan we were on before where we paid more for 4 lines and less unthrottled data. I have a line with D as 2nd user on it and H has one with S as his 2nd user.

I have not purchased a new phone but will be considering it one of these days. My 6s is still serving my needs nicely. It was purchased unlocked from Apple store as a Christmas gift from my son.
T-Mobile's 55+ plan now costs $70 for two lines after Autopay. I guess HIinvestor is grandfathered into the $60 rate T-Mobile offered before.

Sprint also has a similar plan at the "same" price. I put "same" in quotes because Sprint adds on a $2.50/line "administrative charge", and all the government taxes and fees on top. So T-Mobile comes out $10/mo cheaper for two lines.

Neoseo1300

Post by Neoseo1300 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Quick update on this post, as Black Friday is coming up (btw, my wife bought a refurbished Iphone 8 so I'm now looking for only one phone).

I've checked deals on iphone presented during previous black Fridays, and it seems that all the offers require to subscribe to one of the big carrier's plans to get a discount on the phone. But is there any true free and clear discount on iphones around Black Friday?

If not, I may end up buying the iphone full price at the apple store and go with a cheap plan from one of the MVNO (such as Total wireless with 2 lines for $52/m), as suggested by Bloom2708.

Just a bit scared of the overall quality of the MVNO offers..

pochax

Post by pochax » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:53 pm

Neoseo1300 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:35 pm
Quick update on this post, as Black Friday is coming up (btw, my wife bought a refurbished Iphone 8 so I'm now looking for only one phone).

I've checked deals on iphone presented during previous black Fridays, and it seems that all the offers require to subscribe to one of the big carrier's plans to get a discount on the phone. But is there any true free and clear discount on iphones around Black Friday?

If not, I may end up buying the iphone full price at the apple store and go with a cheap plan from one of the MVNO (such as Total wireless with 2 lines for $52/m), as suggested by Bloom2708.

You have plenty of people using MVNOs on this forum to placate your concern.

what do you do on your phone? if you have any of the following needs/issues, then MVNO may not be for you:
1) you frequently travel to places that require a lot of roaming (outside of network) coverage
2) you need REALLY good customer service (probably more so in the setup/activation phase)
3) you need uncapped data speeds (with the exception of MetroPCS which has no discernable data cap speed on TMobile network). most MVNOs offer a capped speed that is fine for email, general web browsing, streaming music, GPS navigation, but may not be good enough for HD or 4K video streaming (which is hard to appreciate on small screens like phones). if you are connected to a good Wifi network when streaming, this is a moot point.
4) you need tethering support (MVNOs do offer this but sometimes will charge extra)

Socrates28

If you have a Costco membership

Post by Socrates28 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:01 pm

go check them out on a Tuesday morning (least crowded IMO). They often rotate deals. They will give you a nice trade in for your old phone (I got $200 for my broken phone-speaker issue), offer a fair price and often provide nice accessories for free (e.g., charger, car charger, I even got a portable battery charger).

Neoseo1300

Post by Neoseo1300 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:39 am

Indeed, I don't frequently need roaming, customer service and uncapped data speed. I'm just looking for a service that works correctly, with good US coverage and fair internet speed (to browse the internet, listen to music)

Between all the MVNOs available, is there a favorite among the bogleheads community?

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:32 am

Neoseo1300 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:39 am
I don't frequently need roaming
I didn't think I needed it either. Until T-Mobile sent me a text to say that I had exhausted my 200MB data allocation when I was traveling through North/South Dakota.

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:40 am

Cricket 4 lines unlimited everything $100/mo. Using AT&T towers. Speed is capped but you rarely see any difference.

Tmobile one $140/4 lines unlimited everything with Netflix paid. No speed cap.

Mint mobile (run under tmobile) 2GB 15/mo,5GB data for $20/mo, 10GB $25/mo. I use 2GB coz I ain't stupid to be watching videos on cell phone and Instagram non stop racking up data.

Verizon is normally the most overpriced, I would stay away. This is the most unfrugral thing to do to be with Verizon coz they really have no added value.

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:02 pm

pochax wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:53 pm
Neoseo1300 wrote:

You have plenty of people using MVNOs on this forum to placate your concern.

what do you do on your phone? if you have any of the following needs/issues, then MVNO may not be for you:
1) you frequently travel to places that require a lot of roaming (outside of network) coverage
2) you need REALLY good customer service (probably more so in the setup/activation phase)
3) you need uncapped data speeds (with the exception of MetroPCS which has no discernable data cap speed on TMobile network). most MVNOs offer a capped speed that is fine for email, general web browsing, streaming music, GPS navigation, but may not be good enough for HD or 4K video streaming (which is hard to appreciate on small screens like phones). if you are connected to a good Wifi network when streaming, this is a moot point.
4) you need tethering support (MVNOs do offer this but sometimes will charge extra)
5) you need coverage internationally where MVNO providers typically have no roaming agreement. (Kind of covered under your #1 but wanted to add that.)

Neoseo1300

Post by Neoseo1300 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:22 pm

wabbajack wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:32 am
Neoseo1300 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:39 am
I don't frequently need roaming
I didn't think I needed it either. Until T-Mobile sent me a text to say that I had exhausted my 200MB data allocation when I was traveling through North/South Dakota.
Don't know if I'm missing the joke as a non-American, but isn't roaming related to out of country usage only? Don't carriers all provide national coverage?

investor997

Post by investor997 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:22 pm

If you're an airline miles collector, note that every so often the airline points shopping portals will offer a pretty good deal with the Apple Store. There was a deal recently where you could earn 5 United miles per $ spent.

https://www.cashbackmonitor.com/cashbac ... ple-store/

Just looking at this now I see Citi has a 2% cash back offer available via their portal. If you happen to have a Citi DoubleCash Mastercard, this will stack on top of the 2% cash back the card already earns. The Citi card also offers extended warranty protection.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:41 pm

02nz wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:59 pm
HIinvestor wrote:

T-Mobile's 55+ plan now costs $70 for two lines after Autopay. I guess HIinvestor is grandfathered into the $60 rate T-Mobile offered before.

Sprint also has a similar plan at the "same" price. I put "same" in quotes because Sprint adds on a $2.50/line "administrative charge", and all the government taxes and fees on top. So T-Mobile comes out $10/mo cheaper for two lines.
That's a bit disingenuous, Sprint is upfront about the admin fee while everyone else just bakes it into the price. You just doen't know your paying it with the others, we all have that same fee and taxes.

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:45 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:41 pm
02nz wrote:
HIinvestor wrote:

That's a bit disingenuous, Sprint is upfront about the admin fee while everyone else just bakes it into the price. You just doen't know your paying it with the others, we all have that same fee and taxes.
I don't like sprint. They tend to be the worst in term of coverage. AT&T/Cricket/Verizon > tmobile/Mint/MetroPCS > sprint/boost.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Momus wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:45 pm
brad.clarkston wrote:
02nz wrote:
HIinvestor wrote:

I don't like sprint. They tend to be the worst in term of coverage. AT&T/Cricket/Verizon > tmobile/Mint/MetroPCS > sprint/boost.
That's a personal thing then as telco/isp coverage is very location dependent based on towers and fiber relays.

AT&T and Verizon is the worst in my area so just blindly telling people to switch to my favorite is not good advice unless there in the same city as me and even then the other side of the city can be different.

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:59 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:56 pm
Momus wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:45 pm
brad.clarkston wrote:
02nz wrote:
HIinvestor wrote:

That's a personal thing then as telco/isp coverage is very location dependent based on towers and fiber relays.

AT&T and Verizon is the worst in my area so just blindly telling people to switch to my favorite is not good advice unless there in the same city as me and even then the other side of the city can be different.
True, check where you are going and check the heat/coverage map.

Sprint is the worst in 3 areas I visited. It doesn't include long rural city to city interstate/highways. For, that I stay away.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:09 pm

Momus wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:59 pm
brad.clarkston wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:56 pm

True, check where you are going and check the heat/coverage map.

Sprint is the worst in 3 areas I visited. It doesn't include long rural city to city interstate/highways. For, that I stay away.
Very true Sprint and T-Mo is working on rural coverage which isn't very good at the moment but overall we are within 1% of the big boys.
AT&T is still going to be the go to network for rural for a while. Hopefully the 5g roll outs will help with that.

*disclaimer I work for Sprint Enterprise - nothing to do with the LTE network side.

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Neoseo1300 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:22 pm
Don't know if I'm missing the joke as a non-American, but isn't roaming related to out of country usage only? Don't carriers all provide national coverage?
They provide coverage across the nation but do have some spots (due to the vast size of the country) where they wont have coverage. in those areas, they might provide coverage through other carrier towers and this is called roaming.

International roaming is when you are out of country and the cell phone carrier has agreements with the other country carriers.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:46 pm

niceguy7376 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:10 pm
Neoseo1300 wrote:
They provide coverage across the nation but do have some spots (due to the vast size of the country) where they wont have coverage. in those areas, they might provide coverage through other carrier towers and this is called roaming.

International roaming is when you are out of country and the cell phone carrier has agreements with the other country carriers.
Correct. So in my case, the data I was using through T-Mobile while in North/South Dakota counted as roaming. This is unfortunate because GPS navigation requires data. There is no way to buy additional local roaming data (as in my case), which I found to be absurd. If I found myself visiting rural America more often, I would just pay the premium to get Verizon.

SEAworld9

Post by SEAworld9 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:53 pm

if you're a current at&t subscriber on an unlimited plan you can get a 64GB XS for 549 if you commit to 2 years.

mxs

Post by mxs » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:01 pm

wabbajack wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:46 pm
niceguy7376 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:10 pm
Neoseo1300 wrote:

Correct. So in my case, the data I was using through T-Mobile while in North/South Dakota counted as roaming. This is unfortunate because GPS navigation requires data. There is no way to buy additional local roaming data (as in my case), which I found to be absurd. If I found myself visiting rural America more often, I would just pay the premium to get Verizon.
One solution for this is to download that area's offline google maps, which will give you gps navigation even without cell service. I did this in Europe with no phone service there.

OP - I would go with a Black Friday deal if one pertained to you. (Likely a $250 Gift Card at Target or similar amount at different stores if staying with Verizon/Sprint/ATT) https://bestblackfriday.com/category/smartphones

iPhone XS ~$1000, 2 of them for $2000, 2 Black Friday deals gets you $500 back, so $1500 for phones, plus ~$50-$70 (not sure about this, may be more expensive depending what plan you are on) per month per phone for service. Over one year that is 50-70x2x12= 1,200-1680 + 1500 = $2700 - $3180 for Verizon or other big name carrier, compare that to Total Wireless below...

I went with an unlocked Moto and locked iPhone SE with Total Wireless last year and have been happy. About a year with them now. It does not include Verizon's secondary/roaming area which is a relatively small area that only came up once when I drove through Oklahoma. Other than that it was never noticed.

Total Wireless cost....
$2000 phones, plus ~$60 a month for service on two phones, 15GB shared. $2720 for a year. Maybe more if you want more data. Going forward this will be cheaper as the month service cost is less, unless you change phones every year and are hoping for a similar Black Friday deal, then it maybe about the same.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/feature ... 4glte#maps The pink Extended 4G LTE area is where I did not have service in Oklahoma.

Compare that map to Total Wireless's map and you should see the difference is the light pink from Verizon's map is white (no service) with Total Wireless. https://www.totalwireless.com/coverage/check

mxs

Post by mxs » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Neoseo1300 wrote:

Sorry, I missed this post when I replied above. There really is no Black Friday deal that isn't tied to paying for a particular phone service. Either you pay full price or get a discount and are tied to that service company. You can go iPhone X for ~$900, or iPhone XS for ~$1000 (XR is ~$750 btw). Another option would be to get the phone discount gift card on Black Friday or another deal, stay with Verizon for whatever the time frame is what comes with that deal, often one year, then switch to a MVNO like Total Wireless or another after a year. You get the phone discount and service you are used to and pay about the same for the first year, then get a discount for monthly service fee going forward.

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:57 pm

FWIW -
Sam's Club is having a one-day event this Saturday November 10th. iPhone X, XS, XS Max and XR purchases will get up to $300 Sam's Club gift card (depending on carrier).

Read the fine print on their add, but I believe the $300 gift card rebate will apply to upgrades as well as new lines.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/pagedetai ... nt-catalog

I am looking for an Xr and will be there when our Sam's Club opens on Saturday.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:33 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
02nz wrote:
HIinvestor wrote:

Wait, are you actually claiming that Sprint's extra charges are actually transparent and better? Sprint charges $70/mo for the two-line senior plan, plus $5 "admin fee" for the two lines, plus assorted other fees, some of which are taxes actually levied by the government, and some of which are to "reimburse" Sprint for its expenses. Total charge depends on the area but will usually be close to $85-$90/mo. T-Mobile charges $70/mo for its senior plan for two lines, but all taxes and fees are included in that amount. You pay less per month with T-Mobile. We're with Sprint because they had an unbeatable offer on the new iPhones, not because they have extra charges.

And you might want to check your own facts and math before calling other people "disingenuous."