Fall Foliage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TravelforFun

Fall Foliage

Post by TravelforFun » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:20 pm

Who live in an area where your fall foliage is spectacular? I'm trying to get some ideas on where to go see some next October.

TravelforFun

Silverado

Re: Fall Foliage

Post by Silverado » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:24 pm

North Georgia was always spectacular. Maybe 90 minutes from ATL. Lots of places to see good foliage.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:26 pm

It's good in New England.
Go mid week anytime from now thru end of October.
How far north you need to go will depend...
Attempted new signature...

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm

I would recommend the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC/VA/TN. Asheville, Gatlinburg, Johnson City, Boone are all fabulous places to see fall color. The Eastern edge of the Smokies has the longest leaf color season in the world due to the big variability in altitude and more biodiversity than, for example, New England. Also, the Blue Ridge Parkway and the incredible system of trails and hikes in this area lets you get up close and personal with hundred-mile vistas full of color around every corner. Examples of some great fall color hikes near me:

https://ashevilletrails.com/fall-foliag ... mountains/

Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:04 pm

Copper Harbor - Keweenaw Peninsula - Upper Michigan. Just back from 5 days up there, colors beyond spectacular.

http://copperharbor.org/copperharborfal ... b-tw-10-3/

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:12 pm

The Appalachians can't be beat. Start in early October in New England, and slowly work your way south.

The maples give nice reds and yellows in NE.

My favorite spot is North western PA around the middle of October. Allegheny Nation Forest and there about has a huge population of wild cherry.

There are entire ridges of red!

Then as you get down into central PA, all the way to Georgia, you'll see mixed stands of oak, cherry, maple, poplar, hickory, sour gum, birch, etc. You'll see every warm natural color imaginable! It looks like Fruit Loops cereal!

Although I will admit that the stands of pure yellow aspens in the west are awesome too!
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

ram

Post by ram » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Ram

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:27 pm

It is all in the timing. The colors move from north-to-south in the fall. With perfect timing you can start in New England and follow them south to the Skyline Drive and continue along the Blue Ridge Parkway--if you have the time. Of course, others may have the same plan, and you have to be a little lucky to time it right. It is best to avoid weekends (and the crowds) if possible. Areas of PA & NY also have some beautiful foliage. We made this trek three years ago.

As mentioned above, the Keeweenaw Peninsula is also beautiful and worth the trip--especially if you haven't seen it previously and can also include some of Wisconsin and Minnesota. We did this drive two years ago.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:06 am

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:27 pm
It is all in the timing. The colors move from north-to-south in the fall. With perfect timing you can start in New England and follow them south to the Skyline Drive and continue along the Blue Ridge Parkway--if you have the time. Of course, others may have the same plan, and you have to be a little lucky to time it right.
+1. Timing is everything, and the "peak time" in a given locale is different every year depending on how wet the spring and summer were, other climate factors, etc. SoAnyway...

OP, I can vouch for the mind-blowingly spectacular fall foliage in New England. "Leaf-peeping" is big here, and every year there are tons of fall foliage maps and calendars online, on the local news, etc. showing you where a particular area is at "peak". Traditionally, Columbus Day weekend is peak in the New Hampshire mountains where I go for my annual dose, but sometimes the peak there has been earlier or later. If you're a AAA member, stop by your local office for assistance next year when you're planning your trip; they'll have great info on scenic drives to take in whatever area you choose. Whether New England or another area, I recommend that you choose a mountainous area. While even the flatlands are great as you're driving around under a canopy of brilliant reds/yellows/oranges, taking a drive along a mountain road will give you a vista across a valley that will absolutely take your breath away.

Bottom line: Every year, Mother Nature puts on this spectacular show in certain parts of the country that feeds the soul - Enjoy it!! After all, in keeping with BH philosophy, it's FREE!! :happy

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:11 am

Dendritic Tree wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
I would recommend the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC/VA/TN. Asheville, Gatlinburg, Johnson City, Boone are all fabulous places to see fall color. The Eastern edge of the Smokies has the longest leaf color season in the world due to the big variability in altitude and more biodiversity than, for example, New England. Also, the Blue Ridge Parkway and the incredible system of trails and hikes in this area lets you get up close and personal with hundred-mile vistas full of color around every corner. Examples of some great fall color hikes near me:

https://ashevilletrails.com/fall-foliag ... mountains/
:thumbsup
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

KCinBAMA

Post by KCinBAMA » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:49 am

This prediction map for the entire country might be useful
https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:23 am

Currently at our lake house near Bancroft in Ontario. The colours are very slow this year and probably won’t peak until next week which is about 2 weeks late. Starting to look very nice now though.

mhc

Post by mhc » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:20 am

The aspen in the mountain west (e.g., Colorado) are pretty nice. If you time things correctly, you can also enjoy the elk rutting season. Estes Park is great for the rut. There are many drives not too far from there to see the fall colors.

Doohop65

Post by Doohop65 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:27 am

I was just driving through north central Wisconsin earlier in the week telling my wife how beautiful the colors had become.

If you like outdoor activities there are many great things to see in the upper 1/3 of Wisconsin. If you want to go way up, I might suggest some of the waterfalls or taking in Lake Superior. The colors along the lake are amazing.

Some folks swear by Door County Wisconsin in the fall but there are a few too many blue hairs for my taste. If you like fall festivals they have plenty of those however. Make sure you take in a fish boil. The communities in Door County have for the most part resisted commercialization and there are many quaint inns and b&bs.

Filetmerlot

Post by Filetmerlot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:49 pm

I was in North Central Wisconsin also this week, but am now back home in NH. The colors in Wisconsin were pretty good, but back home I've noticed some of the White Birches in my woods around the house have dropped all their leaves already while others are still have green leaves. We haven't really had a good cold spell to accelerate the color change yet.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:22 pm

Not sure of the dates, since I moved away a long time ago.

Central and Western NY state (finger lakes area) can be very nice in the fall as well.

JDDS

Post by JDDS » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:34 pm

This is now in the consumer forum.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:46 pm

This is our first Fall in our new house near Boston. The first few trees are showing color now. I think it will be spectacular shortly :D
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:36 pm

In Virginia, Skyline drive is wonderful as well.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:44 pm

Not worth a special trip, but Rock Creek National Park in Washington DC has wonderful fall foliage, and it's only a mile away from home for me. I used to drive up to Shenandoah National Park to see the foliage, but since moving from Virginia to DC, I just go hang out in Rock Creek Park. I'm sure there are many similar lesser-known areas up and down the east coast. The key is to get out of the Tidewater and into the Piedmont.

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:54 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:26 pm
It's good in New England.
Go mid week anytime from now thru end of October.
How far north you need to go will depend...
+1

All over Mass, NH, ME, VT is great especially the Berkshires in Mass and VT/ME.
"Success in investing doesn’t correlate with IQ. Once you have ordinary intelligence, what you need is the temperament to control urges that get other people in trouble investing" - Buffett

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:04 pm

We did the narrow gauge train ride up in northern New Mexico on the Cumbres & Toltec in October.

The fall colors and the rest of the scenery was *amazing*.

Not my picture - but this is what we were able to see.
https://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com ... 8A8793.jpg

Highly recommended!

Magruder

Post by Magruder » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Hard to beat the foliage in NH's White Mountains!

StrangePenguin

Post by StrangePenguin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:24 pm

Others mentioned the Upper Peninsula in Michigan already but I wanted to specifically point out Porcupine Mountains State Park and Lake of the Clouds. I just went there (too early for much color) and I can imagine that it is spectacular at the peak time. Here's a photo from someone else: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mja/30421138838

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:31 pm

Google the Adirondack trail. Fun drive, even better foliage.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:40 pm

OP, if you're at all intrigued by the photos others have kindly linked, hear me now: No matter what area you choose to visit, NO photo - as spectacular as it appears - can possibly do justice to the experience of seeing it live.

To put it another way: Take each breathtaking fall foliage photo you see (no matter what geography it was shot in) and raise it to the nth degree. THAT is what it's like to be driving down the road or stopping at the side of a mountain road to take it all in...

No words....

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:10 pm

Spectacular in North shore area of Minnesota and the SE Minnesota bluff country. Hotels sell out early so it’s a good idea to book a year in advance! Currently the north shore is near peak, so October 5th-10th is a good target date for planning purposes. In SE Minnesota, I’d wait until mid-October.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fall_colors/index.html

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:19 am

I don't know about all areas, but in several areas I have lived the peak of fall foliage can vary by a few weeks. I would keep that in mind when planning.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:33 am

Report on this year - Mid Atlantic area

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... 12dac020b9

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:39 pm

Thanks for all the feedbacks. I have bookmarked this very helpful page.

TravelforFun