Washington, DC Trip & Fine Dining in the Area

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mholdi1540

Washington, DC Trip & Fine Dining in the Area

Post by mholdi1540 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:53 am

Hi - plan trip to Washington DC in near future and will be in the city for 1 week. Looking for suggestions for fine & good dining in the city and surrounding areas. Thanks in advance for the advice.

UpperNwGuy

Re: Washington, DC Trip & Fine Dining in the Area

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:55 am

mholdi1540 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:53 am
Hi - plan trip to Washington DC in near future and will be in the city for 1 week. Looking for suggestions for fine & good dining in the city and surrounding areas. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Google “Washingtonian Best Restaurants” and you will have the complete list along with short descriptions of each.

OpattyD

Post by OpattyD » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:23 pm

One of my favorite restaurants is Montmarte in eastern mark- small cozy French place with delicious food.

For brunch or lunch I like old ebbitt…. it's an iconic place and very close to the white house. You will often see politicians dining here.

There is a kayak rental place under the key bridge. Really fun to rent a kayak and paddle along the Potomac.

banhbao

Post by banhbao » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:38 pm

Here is a good starting place:

https://dc.eater.com/2018/9/6/17827566/ ... ourmand-dc

Obviously it depends on the type of food you like (and your price point), but we really enjoyed Nazca Mochica (Peruvian), Ottoman Taverna (Turkish), and Oyamel Cocina Mexicana.

Student2

Post by Student2 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:11 pm

Chowhound website and forums. It's not what it once was, but it's still beats most sites out there for food and restaurant info.

For restaurants in Washington DC reported on in the last year look here: https://www.chowhound.com/search/?q=was ... 20&start=0

sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:54 pm

I went last year to D.C. and really enjoyed Plume. It is a 1 Michelin star restaraunt with great service and a wonderful tasting menu. The wine list and somolier are also excellent. It is located in the Jefferson a very nice hotel built in the 1920’s I enjoyed it greatly. Would recommend the tasting menu and wine pairing you won’t regret it.

prospect-refuge

Post by prospect-refuge » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:13 am

If you're looking for "good," but not "Michelin-starred," you could try Founding Farmers. It's a farm-to-table group, and they do a fantastic job with a simple, down-home vibe with a twist.

To be honest, I think that the quality of dining in D.C. is abysmal, so the fact that I thought this place was a bright spot might not mean too much.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:14 am

prospect-refuge wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:13 am
If you're looking for "good," but not "Michelin-starred," you could try Founding Farmers. It's a farm-to-table group, and they do a fantastic job with a simple, down-home vibe with a twist.

To be honest, I think that the quality of dining in D.C. is abysmal, so the fact that I thought this place was a bright spot might not mean too much.
You think Jaleo, La Diplomate, Rose’s Luxury, Centrolina, Rasika, Joseolito, Johnny’s Half shell, any number of excellent African, Eastern Europe, and middle eastern restaurants sprinkled throughout downtown/U street/Shaw, minibar (a bit exotic adventure to be sure), the Tavern, mi vida, Pineapple and Pearls (!), and so many more are abysmal ?

banhbao

Post by banhbao » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:22 am

prospect-refuge wrote:
the quality of dining in D.C. is abysmal
I respectfully disagree. Maybe you didn't find the right restaurants. That's why I suggested the "bib gourmand" list above.

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:52 am

prospect-refuge wrote:

+1 to Founding Farmers. It's near my company's office in DC and I usually go there when in town.

Jayhawk11

Post by Jayhawk11 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:56 am

Highly suggest Obelisk

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:37 pm

Founding Farmers is a chain restaurant now scattered around the suburbs too, even in Pennsylvania.

For Washington Post/ Sietsema's review of the original DC version, see here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html

Spoiler: The review is not flattering of the restaurant.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:41 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:37 pm
Founding Farmers is a chain restaurant now scattered around the suburbs too, even in Pennsylvania.

For Washington Post/ Sietsema's review of the original DC version, see here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html

Spoiler: The review is not flattering of the restaurant.
Founding Farmers is an ok chain restaurant for locals needing a moderately priced meal. It's not good enough for an out-of-town visitor seeking fine dining.

pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Recommend the Penn Quarter area of DC. Its an area with many quality restaurants:

Rasika - Indian

Momofuku (w Milk Bar embedded) - Chang's DC location

The Jose Andrés tapas options:
Jaleo - Spanish
Oyamel - Mexican
Zaytinya - Turkish, Greek and Lebanese
China Chilcano - Asian/Peruvian fusion

Cuba Libre
Last edited by pointyhairedboss on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HappyWorkerBee

Post by HappyWorkerBee » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:57 pm

If you'll be footing the bill for these meals, brace yourself for the 10% restaurant tax.

It's not fine dining, but I always enjoyed Murphy's Irish Pub in Alexandria. They have food, drinks, and live music with audience participation. It's a good time and attracts an all-ages (above 21) crowd.

DownToThis

Post by DownToThis » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:09 pm

Like other posters I think dc has some great places. Tom sietsema is usually spot on. Rasika is great. The inn at little Washington (about an hour outside dc) is amazing!

You'll have plenty of good options to enjoy

pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:04 pm

DownToThis wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:09 pm
Like other posters I think dc has some great places. Tom sietsema is usually spot on. Rasika is great. The inn at little Washington (about an hour outside dc) is amazing!

You'll have plenty of good options to enjoy
Inn at Little Washington was just awarded three Michelin stars. The chef is legendary. The tasting menu is $238 per person on Saturdays with optional wine pairings at $150, and that doesn't include taxes and gratuity. Google maps says its 1hr and 20 minutes from the White House (using a well known DC location).

If the price hasn't scared you away, its also, as its name indicates, an Inn. Room prices between $700 to $1200.

Check out some of the images of the interior decor
http://theinnatlittlewashington.com

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:03 pm

HappyWorkerBee wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:57 pm
If you'll be footing the bill for these meals, brace yourself for the 10% restaurant tax.

It's not fine dining, but I always enjoyed Murphy's Irish Pub in Alexandria. They have food, drinks, and live music with audience participation. It's a good time and attracts an all-ages (above 21) crowd.
DC's 10% restaurant tax (net with sales tax) is still a deal compared to the Alexandria location you mentioned. Alexandria combined sales/meals tax is 11%.

Nearby Arlington is 10%. Fairfax County is still 6% as voters rejected an increase in 2016 (towns can have more). Fairfax and Falls Church cities are both 10%.

Foreign diplomats with state department ID are exempt from paying all sales and meals taxes.

edge

Post by edge » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:43 pm

There are extensive dining options in the greater DC metro. It is impossible to cover them all unless first narrowing the request a bit. Here are a few:

https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/02/1 ... ants-2018/