Black suit with dark brown shoes?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
helloeveryone

Black suit with dark brown shoes?

Post by helloeveryone » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:19 pm

I am attending a black tie dinner as part of a three day work trip where for the daytime the attire is formal. (ie- 95+% wear shirt tie and jacket rather than just dress shirt and khakis. For the three days I will wear dark brown shoes with my khakis, shirt & tie and navy jacket.

Thus for the black tie dinner I will wear a black suit, black tie, and white shirt. I want to wear the same dark brown shoes with matching dark brown belt.

My google search is not helpful. (some sites say no way to the black suit/brown shoes combo... other says totally acceptable. The pics on google image do look nice for the black suit/brown shoes combo.

I don’t want to bring separate shoes for just a 3 hour dinner. I am comfortable with myself, have a stable job and I am certain no one will care but I wanted to solicit BH’s thoughts on that color combo since this forum has so many good comments and always seem to bring up things I don’t think about.

thank you

jester14

Re: Black suit with dark brown shoes?

Post by jester14 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:35 pm

Maybe you could pull it off, but that's not something I would feel comfortable wearing. Then again, if I'm not comfortable with what I'm wearing, I'm uncomfortable in general, but it sounds like that might not be the case for you?

Take the black shoes and keep it simple. Less is more.

Unless you have the option for a navy or light grey suit and your brown shoes are a certain color, then you could get away with only bringing one pair of shoes. Not sure if your black tie dinner is truly a black color event, or, if you're using that as a way to indicate that it's just more formal than the rest of your trip?

Best of luck to you. If you do decide on black shoes, don't forget your black belt! :sharebeer

LittleGreenSoldiers

Post by LittleGreenSoldiers » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:36 pm

Always be a gentleman.
It's formal. Be respectful and dress the part. Black shoes and black belt.

Carter3

Post by Carter3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:11 am

No way. Black shoes only for black suit

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:12 am

Unless you're a hipster I can't see how you could pull it off.

Blue or grey suit, yes. Black, doubtful.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:17 am

I have recently seen brown shoes and belt with a blackish/charcoal suit, but I don't think that works for formal attire. Just stick the extra shoes in a back or other loose carry on.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:23 am

Nobody cares. People have other things to do at dinner than to analyze others.

Cash

Post by Cash » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:46 am

No way for black tie. Technically, the shoes should be black patent leather if you are wearing a tux ("black tie" means tux, not just a black suit with a black tie). But most people wear regular black dress shoes these days.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:48 am

Buy some black shoes on the trip and leave them behind. One can also rent shoes at the same place one rents a tuxedo.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

BlueCable

Post by BlueCable » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:57 am

Cash wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:46 am
No way for black tie. Technically, the shoes should be black patent leather if you are wearing a tux ("black tie" means tux, not just a black suit with a black tie). But most people wear regular black dress shoes these days.
It's worth echoeing Cash: black tie means a tuxedo, not a suit with a black tie.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:07 am

I would not wear brown shoes and a brown belt with a black suit.

JT

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:19 am

Thanks everyone. So far we have all but 1 no’s and 1 that said a hipster might pull it off.

For those that commented on black tie being tuxedo you are correct but about a third of the men wear black suits so it is not too out of norm for me to wear a black suit.

I will probably decide at the last minute what to do and for the first time in my life be on the lookout for shoe/suit combo to see if anyone does the brown/black combo.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:30 am

Take charcoal slacks with your navy blazer. Then you can wear the same black belt and black shoes with both outfits.

corysold

Post by corysold » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:32 am

Brown and black just don't go together.

Yes, some others might be wearing it, that doesn't make it right. And no, nothing will probably happen to you if you do wear brown shoes with a black suit, but again, that doesn't mean you should.

You don't specify what type of work trip it is, but if there is a chance of meeting people who are important to your success in business, I'd avoid the black/brown combo. While there are many who won't care what shoes you wear, there are some who will use it against you and it will be something you have to overcome in your interaction with them.

Right or wrong, that's how the world sometimes works.

BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:49 am

If it were me -

If I had formal-ish black shoes in my closet I'd bring 'em. If I didn't I'd go with the dark brown.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:12 am

If you only want to take one pair of shoes then why not take a pair of black shoes since it sounds like they would go OK with the what you would be wearing the other days.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:14 am

I don't know about everyone else, but I couldn't tell you what shoes anyone has worn to the last formal events I have attended. I just don't spend time looking down at the floor. I would wear the dark brown shoes.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:15 am

Black shoes, please.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:19 am

No.
I remember this comment by George Gobel on the Johnny Carson show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHVcgUajtA
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:44 am

If you care enough to ask this question, you already know what the right answer is.

+1 Bring some black shoes.

themesrob

Post by themesrob » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:45 am

if it's black tie, you will already be on the semi-underdressed side with a black suit. Personally, even if there's a few other men in a black suit, I would not want to be the one guy wearing brown shoes/belt. I think a lot of the old-school color combo rules (like "no brown shoes with a navy suit") are now generally disregarded, and no one would look askance. A black suit, however, does require black shoes.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:51 am

I wouldn't go out and buy a pair just for this and when I travel I only bring one pair and dress accordingly. But really no one cares.

corysold

Post by corysold » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:03 am

Nate79 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:51 am
I wouldn't go out and buy a pair just for this and when I travel I only bring one pair and dress accordingly. But really no one cares.
I don't think that's true. Many don't care. But some do and if you happen to have to interact with those who do, it can matter.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:11 am

Black tie to me typically means black bow tie and a dinner jacket or tuxedo. I think a black suit falls short, and brown shoes takes it further.

How dark are your brown shoes? What type are they? There is still a wide spectrum of formality in terms of shoe types besides color.

If brown shoes are all you have, you would be better off probably just wearing a navy blue or charcoal grey suit so that your ensemble matches even if underdressed. You can go dark with either the navy or grey.

Right now you would be both underdressed and not matching. A minor faux pas in the big scheme of things but something that might leave a lasting impression.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:14 am

corysold wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:03 am
Nate79 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:51 am
I don't think that's true. Many don't care. But some do and if you happen to have to interact with those who do, it can matter.
That's true. Shallow people care. You just hope that their opinion doesn't matter.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:27 am

NO. Bring the extra shoes and belt. It can't possibly be that much of a hassle to look at least partly well dressed for the dinner.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:28 am

Based on your post, you absolutely need to bring two pairs of shoes. You shouldn't wear black shoes with khakis and a navy jacket, and you shouldn't wear brown shoes with a black suit.

Black shoes are very formal and should be paired only with a mid-gray to charcoal to black suit, or a navy suit. Most people shouldn't bother with a black suit since a charcoal suit is suitably formal for events like a funeral and the infrequent black tie event. If you go to black tie events with any frequency, get a tuxedo.

You can pull off brown shoes with a charcoal suit, although it's not ideal. You definitely shouldn't wear them with a black suit, and especially not with a black suit at a black tie event.

At a black tie event where black tie is optional, I think the lowest level of formality you should attempt would be a charcoal suit, white shirt, black tie, black shoes, and white pocket square in a classic straight across fold.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:37 am

Ketawa wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:28 am
Based on your post, you absolutely need to bring two pairs of shoes. You shouldn't wear black shoes with khakis and a navy jacket, and you shouldn't wear brown shoes with a black suit.

Black shoes are very formal and should be paired only with a mid-gray to charcoal to black suit, or a navy suit. Most people shouldn't bother with a black suit since a charcoal suit is suitably formal for events like a funeral and the infrequent black tie event. If you go to black tie events with any frequency, get a tuxedo.

You can pull off brown shoes with a charcoal suit, although it's not ideal. You definitely shouldn't wear them with a black suit, and especially not with a black suit at a black tie event.

At a black tie event where black tie is optional, I think the lowest level of formality you should attempt would be a charcoal suit, white shirt, black tie, black shoes, and white pocket square in a classic straight across fold.
+1

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:40 am

Ketawa wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:28 am

+1 - I would bring the shoes, but if its a super pain, I might go by a tux shop and rent just shoes. That may be more of a hassle then just bringing your shoes though.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:52 am

Even I would not wear brown shoes with a black suit. I might consider black Birkenstocks with black socks.
Edit: if you only want to bring one pair of shoes, I'd bring black and wear them the whole time.
But everybody who knows me knows I'm clueless about fashion ;)

MnD

Post by MnD » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:02 am

I saw an SEC webinar the other day where one of the lead presenters did the black suit and brown shoes combo.
It didn't look horrible, but I noticed it about 2 seconds after he stood up to talk.
The suit looked pretty high quality and fit perfectly - not some frumpy government employee that crawled out from under a rock.
I wondered at the time if this was a "thing" now.

Bottom line - people will notice.

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:47 am

Black suit / brown shoes can definitely work, but it results in more cssual look that must be appropriate for the situation.

You should absolutely not do it here - wearing a suit to black tie means you're already too casual. Adding brown shoes to the mix will increase this disparity.

reimann

Post by reimann » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:06 am

black shoes

Edward Joseph

Post by Edward Joseph » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:16 am

I understand not wanting to haul an extra pair of shoes back and forth. FedEx them to yourself at the hotel and then home afterwards. It's certainly an added expense but I've done that with golf attire (shoes/clothes) when I try and travel light for business.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:24 am

MnD wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:02 am
I saw an SEC webinar the other day where one of the lead presenters did the black suit and brown shoes combo.
It didn't look horrible, but I noticed it about 2 seconds after he stood up to talk.
The suit looked pretty high quality and fit perfectly - not some frumpy government employee that crawled out from under a rock.
I wondered at the time if this was a "thing" now.

Bottom line - people will notice.
If you're going to break a style rule, it has to be intentional and everything else has to be impeccable. Sounds like the person might have broken the rule to deliberately draw attention to the cut of his/her suit.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:37 pm

Wear the brown shoes if you don't care about standing out.

Even the casual observer will notice. He or she may not care about what you do, but it will be noticed. People make prejudgements within a matter of seconds whether they like it or not.

I would not wear brown shoes with a black suit in any situation.

Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:45 pm

Some people will be put off by someone wearing that combination. Some people won't. More will be put off than won't. Few if any will look at it as an appropriate fashion statement. Some will think the person wearing that combination doesn't respect or care about the context/event/people putting on the event. Some will think he doesn't know better.

Who knows whether someone whose opinion matters to you will be one of the ones who are put off by it.

If you don't care about any of the above, wear what you want. I'm guessing you do care though, because you asked.
I don't know anything.

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:48 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:14 am
I don't know about everyone else, but I couldn't tell you what shoes anyone has worn to the last formal events I have attended. I just don't spend time looking down at the floor. I would wear the dark brown shoes.
Most guys probably don't care, but I would bet that more than a few females will :P ...

Especially important if your boss (current or the possibility of an attendee in the future) is a female.

Since I'm older than dirt and did the "dress for success" thing decades ago, I would surely go for black shoes; but that's only my opinion on the question asked...

- Ron

MJW

Post by MJW » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:03 pm

wabbajack wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:44 am
If you care enough to ask this question, you already know what the right answer is.

+1 Bring some black shoes.
Exactly.

You really have two choices:

1) Be "that guy" and not care what people think and be willing to commit to that mindset.

2) Dress appropriately for the occasion. It's work-related and you're a guest at the function.

lifeisinmirrors

Post by lifeisinmirrors » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:46 pm

Black shoes should always be worn for a black tie event. Breaking traditional rules is a decent idea for an actor at the Oscars, not so for regular business occasions.

Socrates28

Every man should own

Post by Socrates28 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:05 pm

1 pair brown dress shoes and 1 pair black dress shoes....even loafers (which I do)

buy some Cole Haan's at Nordstrom Rack for half off and dust the black ones off when wearing black, gray or formal events.

Black tie means formal. I dont care what other's think, but I want to be comfortable and dressing appropriately makes me feel that way

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:18 pm

I'm with the majority here. It's a formal function and black shoes are called for.

I would be comfortable with cordovans or darker brown shoes with navy blue, but not black.

Unless you're wearing a Brioni suit and some Salvatore Ferragamo shoes, then all bets are off. :twisted:

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:28 pm

helloeveryone wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:19 pm
I am attending a black tie dinner as part of a three day work trip where for the daytime the attire is formal. (ie- 95+% wear shirt tie and jacket rather than just dress shirt and khakis. For the three days I will wear dark brown shoes with my khakis, shirt & tie and navy jacket.

Thus for the black tie dinner I will wear a black suit, black tie, and white shirt. I want to wear the same dark brown shoes with matching dark brown belt.

My google search is not helpful. (some sites say no way to the black suit/brown shoes combo... other says totally acceptable. The pics on google image do look nice for the black suit/brown shoes combo.

I don’t want to bring separate shoes for just a 3 hour dinner. I am comfortable with myself, have a stable job and I am certain no one will care but I wanted to solicit BH’s thoughts on that color combo since this forum has so many good comments and always seem to bring up things I don’t think about.

thank you
Update:
Ran it by my wife and she says the shoes are dark enough its acceptable. She’s been my guest before to this function and says it’s not a faux-pas at all.

They are about this dark: http://www.theunstitchd.com/fashion/coc ... e-for-men/

Not this level of brown: https://goo.gl/images/CwTQXD

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I figured there were plenty of people who have attended these types of functions and I really appreciate your feedback.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:35 pm

Black tie affair - don’t be an outlier lest you don’t mind being the talk of the office. Wear black shoes.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

ram

Post by ram » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:41 pm

no...
Ram

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:20 pm

I recently saw a mannequin at Macy's with a black suit and brown shoes. Grated on my sensibilities. I'm 82 and can't remember seeing that combo ever before in my life. Evaluate the upside and downside. I would never wear brown shoes in that situation. The fact that the brown shoes are a dark brown doesn't make it a reason, it's an excuse. Well, you asked!

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:24 pm

I'm reminded that Frank Zappa told us all that "Brown Shoes Don't Make It". He's right. :-)

https://genius.com/Frank-zappa-brown-sh ... -it-lyrics

https://youtu.be/gQe9B_VBVqM
"What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny. "You gotta fight for your right to party!" -Beastie Boys

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:24 pm

Just skip the black tie dinner.

MJW

Post by MJW » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:17 am

helloeveryone wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:28 pm
Update:
Ran it by my wife and she says the shoes are dark enough its acceptable. She’s been my guest before to this function and says it’s not a faux-pas at all.

They are about this dark: http://www.theunstitchd.com/fashion/coc ... e-for-men/
Still no.

MJW

Post by MJW » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:20 am

RudyS wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:20 pm
I recently saw a mannequin at Macy's with a black suit and brown shoes. Grated on my sensibilities. I'm 82 and can't remember seeing that combo ever before in my life. Evaluate the upside and downside. I would never wear brown shoes in that situation. The fact that the brown shoes are a dark brown doesn't make it a reason, it's an excuse. Well, you asked!
You've never seen it before because it is an abomination. You should have beaten the mannequin up in the middle of the store.