Apple - macOS Mojave

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Apple - macOS Mojave

Post by abuss368 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:32 pm

Bogleheads -

In clicking "About this Mac" and then "Software Update" I was led to the App Store where a new operating system is available: "macOS Mojave". I am presently running "macOS High Sierra".

Has anyone updated their software? What are the thoughts and perspectives?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"

aqan

Re: Apple - macOS Mojave

Post by aqan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:40 pm

literally just upgraded and launched safari :)
I like the dark mode so far. Will update as I find out more.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:43 pm

I always run the latest software version for cybersecurity reasons.

You can find the feature set online and see if there is anything you'll use.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/review/mac-s ... a-3678471/

Some people will prefer the option of dark mode (dark background with light text). I do not.

I am not aware of a reason to defer the upgrade if your hardware and software is supported.

revert

Post by revert » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:45 pm

Yes - it's been running well. This last round of updates from Apple (iOS and macOS) were focused on internal and performance updates; they're great updates, but expect few major user-visible changes (Mojave rethemed a bit, and a few nice small changes).

As a rule of thumb, I'd wait for the first minor update (10.14.1) if you're on the conservative side or have no pressing need to update. The first dot release usually irons out any rough patches from the first major release, and typically comes ~1 month after (so look for it end of October).

Glasgow

Post by Glasgow » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:17 pm

Updated mine. Run like a charm. News and stocks apps are pretty good.

Lion Rock

Post by Lion Rock » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:36 pm

I wait a few months after the new release for some remaining bugs to be fixed by the .1 or .2 releases, because I don't have a pressing need to use the new features. The older operating system can still be kept up-to-date for security patches by Apple.

Was thankful for holding off a few years ago when I eventually found out that some scanning software I was using was producing serious errors under the new operating system.

telemark

Post by telemark » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:45 pm

It doesn't run on my 2010 Mac Mini, so no.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:06 am

It runs really well on my mid-2012 MacBook pro.
Wiki

stl717

Post by stl717 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:08 am

Been running it since this morning; so far, so good...

MrNo

Post by MrNo » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:20 am

I upgraded to Mojave the day it was released on 2016 MBP, runs great.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:53 am

Updating should largely be a non-event. My 2012 Mac mini is doing well on Mojave.

mrc

Post by mrc » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:02 am

If you use Backblaze for remote backups, be sure to upgrade the client before the OS. Backblaze sent out reminders to customers about heightened security policies within the OS that results in loss of access to some files with the older client.
Science is about the pursuit of truth. That always threatens someone.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:26 am

stan1 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:43 pm
I always run the latest software version for cybersecurity reasons.
Although I don’t think there’s a stated policy, Apple usually provides security updates for at least 2 versions prior of current OS. Thus, I would feel perfectly comfortable running Sierra—and do so on a 2009 iMac. I always run at least 1 version prior of current OS for a good while into the new release for these reasons:

- legacy software compatibility
- allow time for app developers to catch up with their releases and update current apps
- let others work out the bugs of the newest release

That said, nothing wrong with the latest, greatest if it floats your boat.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:38 am

I usually wait about a week and read on-line reviews before updating.

Unless there is something compellingly bad about an application right now, a week is enough time for the major issues to at least become known on the forums.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:43 am

I love it. Great features for me- stacks, continuity camera (cool), asking Siri for passwords, better screenshot functionality, trimming videos in finder and quick actions. Awesome upgrade.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:46 am

Seems fine. Like the dark theme and dynamic background which seems coordinated with time of day.

Seems much easier to directly import pictures from iOS.

I like that “share” now remembers email address of who I shared with recently.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 am

I always give it some time. I'm never in a rush. I see no reason to want to be "first on the block."

It is actually very rare for me to need or care about anything in the upgrades. I follow the upgrade path because my experience is that you start to encounter major glitches if you let yourself get two releases behind. I regard the annual upgrade as more of a nuisance than anything else, and the only thing that stops me from dragging my feet even more is that the sooner I upgrade, the longer it will be before I need to do it again.

I also like to wait to give software developers time to let me know about problems. (In my case... my remote backup app, BackBlaze, has an issue due to tightened security in Mojave, and they say both that it's essential to update the backup client, but also that there is a multistep procedure to go through to manually tell Mojave that BackBlaze needs "full access" to the disk... or something like that).

I don't use every app I have all the time, and after I switch to a new OS, it may take weeks to discover problems. There are often one or two applications that arbitrarily will not run if the OS version is higher, and need to be updated or upgraded. There are various utility programs (backup, antivirus, etc.) that need to go deeper into system internals than most, and may have issues.

I drop into MacInTouch to get a feeling for how people are doing. As a rough rule of thumb, yes, I like to wait for the first update before I install.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:29 am

Thank you for the thoughts and perspectives. I plan to upgrade tonight.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"

pasadena

Post by pasadena » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:15 am

I've been running it on my iMac for a few days, and have encountered no issue. I surprisingly like the dark mode. Im planning on upgrading my MacBook Pro today.

Do a backup before upgrading and you should be fine.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:42 am

I wait until a 1.x release, maybe 6 months down the road. I'm sure the OS is good enough for me but I _always_ have a handful of apps that don't work. Waiting gives the publishers enough time to catch up to the OS.

gtownsend

Post by gtownsend » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:15 pm

I upgraded a couple of days ago. All my ancient unsupported 32-bit software (e.g. Photoshop Elements 6) still runs fine, albeit with a warning the first time.

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:04 pm

Updated it the 1st day it was available and it loaded without issue. The next day I fired up my computer and it froze half way through the loading process. Called Apple support and they had me start up in safe-mode and I was able to boot up. I then turned it off and fired it up in the normal mode and it loaded without any issues.

The big plus for me is the Apple News app, which I think is great in IOS is now available on your desk top with Mojave. It is automatically loaded with the upgrade.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:30 pm

I downloaded macOS Mojave and everything appears to be working well. I did notice the option for dark or light background but not too much else thus far.

telemark

Post by telemark » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:38 pm

Mojave removes support for subpixel antialiasing, a.k.a. font smoothing or ClearType. If your Mac doesn't have a Retina display, you may want to experiment with turning that off before you upgrade.

The subtle death of subpixel antialiasing

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:02 pm

I have read before that Apple will eventually phase out iPhoto and replace with Photo. A couple of years ago, Photo was the iOS app, and iPhoto was on the Mac. As the mobile and desktop software continue to converge, we now have one application - Photo.

Will iPhoto eventually be removed with future releases?

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:47 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:02 pm
I have read before that Apple will eventually phase out iPhoto and replace with Photo. A couple of years ago, Photo was the iOS app, and iPhoto was on the Mac. As the mobile and desktop software continue to converge, we now have one application - Photo.

iPhoto has been gone for what seems like years, I think. Photos has been on my Mac desktop for quite a while. Same with iOS. If you have iPhoto you must be running an older OS, I think?

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:55 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:47 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:02 pm

iPhoto has been gone for what seems like years, I think. Photos has been on my Mac desktop for quite a while. Same with iOS. If you have iPhoto you must be running an older OS, I think?
That's just it! I am running the latest - mac OS Mojave. When using spotlight and typing iPhoto, the app will display and open.

What I read a couple of years ago when the macOS added photos was that iPhoto was still there lurking in the background because Apple was unsure how to remove and wanted to avoid a possible removal with any update that may cost or erase photos. I am unsure what the status is.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:03 pm

I clicked "About This Mac" on my 2011 MBA 13 with Hi Sierra 10.13.6 (17G3014), but I cannot update to Mojave. Any divine inspiration? TIA.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:15 pm

htdrag11 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:03 pm
I clicked "About This Mac" on my 2011 MBA 13 with Hi Sierra 10.13.6, but I cannot update to Mojave. Any divine inspiration? TIA.
The oldest MacBook Air that can run Mojave is the mid-2012 model (see Apple's system compatibility list for Mojave). You'll continue to get security updates for Hi Sierra for another year or two, but I think you're stuck with Hi Sierra at this point.

revert

Post by revert » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:30 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:55 pm
What I read a couple of years ago when the macOS added photos was that iPhoto was still there lurking in the background because Apple was unsure how to remove and wanted to avoid a possible removal with any update that may cost or erase photos. I am unsure what the status is.
Apple discontinued iPhoto in 2015 and removed it from the App Store. You're probably using that final release of iPhoto (assuming you're using the same computer and have done in-place OS upgrades since then). This is generally how any App Store removal works, including on iOS - Apple will take down the app for new installs, but it can hang around on your device indefinitely if you move your backup to each new device, etc.

I'd expect at some point for iPhoto to stop working due to some unfixed bug. Also, if you get a new computer or have to reimage your current it'll be difficult/impossible to reinstall iPhoto. I would suggest trying to transition to Photos now while you can run both and it's all under your control.

For what it's worth, I think Photos was a good improvements over iPhoto. :D

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:15 pm

revert wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:30 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:55 pm
Apple discontinued iPhoto in 2015 and removed it from the App Store. You're probably using that final release of iPhoto (assuming you're using the same computer and have done in-place OS upgrades since then). This is generally how any App Store removal works, including on iOS - Apple will take down the app for new installs, but it can hang around on your device indefinitely if you move your backup to each new device, etc.

I'd expect at some point for iPhoto to stop working due to some unfixed bug. Also, if you get a new computer or have to reimage your current it'll be difficult/impossible to reinstall iPhoto. I would suggest trying to transition to Photos now while you can run both and it's all under your control.

For what it's worth, I think Photos was a good improvements over iPhoto. :D
Love Photos and have all photos there. Very easy. I noticed years ago iPhotos would copy the photos but that has since stopped with Apple pulling the plug.

revert

Post by revert » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:29 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:15 pm
Love Photos and have all photos there. Very easy.
Oh, I completely misunderstood! I had misinterpreted it as a question of migrating from iPhoto to Photos. :?

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Gryphon wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:15 pm
htdrag11 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:03 pm
I clicked "About This Mac" on my 2011 MBA 13 with Hi Sierra 10.13.6, but I cannot update to Mojave. Any divine inspiration? TIA.
The oldest MacBook Air that can run Mojave is the mid-2012 model (see Apple's system compatibility list for Mojave). You'll continue to get security updates for Hi Sierra for another year or two, but I think you're stuck with Hi Sierra at this point.
Argh! Too bad. Thanks.

boyler99

Post by boyler99 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:45 pm

I upgraded to Mojave about a week ago and the main thing I noticed is that is MUCH faster than High Sierra on my 2013 MacBook Pro. Full disclosure: I performed a complete "erase" of my SSD hard drive (deleted all data) and then performed a fresh install. I had not done a fresh install since 2013 so I figured it was time. It's possible that the speed boost had more to do with the fresh install vs. Mojave. Either way, it's been fantastic all week. All my apps work perfectly, including BackBlaze.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:57 pm

After a couple of week macOS Mojave appears to be working well.

DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:09 pm

I just installed Mojave tonight. It took about 90 minutes. I have a 2013 27" iMac with 24GB RAM and a 1TB HD. I ran Time Machine first, so I would have a way back if something went awry. One thing I did NOT do, which I would recommend, is booting to the Apple diagnostic server and running Disk Utility before the upgrade. About the only time I've seen problems with OS X upgrades was when there were disk errors. I've seen the entire upgrade hang and make the unit unusable until DU was run and the upgrade started over. Mavericks had a strange bug where it would encrypt the drive, then take over five minutes to boot if the drive had errors; the solution was to decrypt the drive, run DU to repair the errors, then re-encrypt the drive if you cared to.
So I will be playing with some of the new features. It does almost seem faster, but maybe it's just me.