AARP UnitedHealthCare Plan G

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
catalina355

AARP UnitedHealthCare Plan G

Post by catalina355 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:41 pm

I have decided to sign up for Medicare Plan G. I would like to find out what people think of the AARP plan. Have you had coverage or billing issues with UnitedHealthCare? If issues have arisen did UHC customer service resolve the issues promptly and correctly. How was the sign up experience and getting things set up? How have costs risen over the years?

I am hoping there are people who signed up for AARP UHC some years ago and have experiences to share.

Thanks!

celia

Re: AARP UnitedHealthCare Plan G

Post by celia » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:56 am

Billing issues should not be a problem with any of the Medigap carriers. Medicare decides what the cost of a service should be for your area. Then it assigns the deductible to you (if any) and pays 80%, leaving 20% for the carrier. There is no decision to be made by the time it gets to the Medigap carrier. But if Medicare rejected the claim (eg, not medically necessary) and doesn't pay, neither will the Medigap carrier. In these cases you may need to go back to the patient liaison representative for the doctor group and ask if they can get correct billing codes and re-submit the claim. I usually get the Medigap carrier's Explanation of Benefits before the Medicare Explanation, even though the Medigap carrier pays second.

DH used UHC when he was on Plan F but changed carriers to go on Plan G last year, not realizing they were just starting to offer Plan G. This year he went back to them.

I *think* their premiums are the same across the country and are easy to understand. For Plan G, they charge $239.75 per month for those age 77 and over. Subtract 3% for each year under age 77 you are. (For example, if you are 65, you are 12 years less than 77, and you would pay 36% less. So 100% - 36% = 64%. $239.75 * 64% = $153.44. On each birthday month, the premium increases so that you lose 3% of the discount.)

When you get the first bill, there will be a form for signing up for electronic withdrawal from your account. That will save you another $2 a month. and if you and your spouse both sign up with them, you will each save another 5%.

Signing up is easy if you don't have to go through medical underwriting. If you do it by phone, you have to listen to disclaimers they have to read to you out loud. But if you do it online, there may be a few questions you aren't sure of, so you may end up phoning in anyways. Currently, they are allowing current AARP United HeathCare members to change from any of their plans to any other plans they have without medical underwriting. That means their current policyholders who don't have plan F (the most comprehensive plan) can sign up for it if they want.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:26 am

catalina355 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:41 pm
I have decided to sign up for Medicare Plan G. I would like to find out what people think of the AARP plan. Have you had coverage or billing issues with UnitedHealthCare? If issues have arisen did UHC customer service resolve the issues promptly and correctly. How was the sign up experience and getting things set up? How have costs risen over the years?

I am hoping there are people who signed up for AARP UHC some years ago and have experiences to share.

Thanks!
I have AARP Plan F with is almost Plan G. It covers everything Plan F covers plus there are no copays and no deductible. They have been quite decent, worlds away from UHC running its own non-Medicare plans which I would advise everyone never to sign up for if they have a choice.

I pay annually. I didn't look up the intervening years but here are my 2011 $1690.00 and 2018 $2760.12 payments.

I also have AARP Plan D and they have approved, usually within a day or two, any med my doctor asked for even ones that cost thousands a month. That is in contrast to UHC in its own plans which denied the most important one and also gave me the run around about it for almost a year. Either Medicare itself or AARP is reining in UHC in the Medigap plans.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:05 pm

I had AARP Plan F until a month ago when I switched to G. During the 6 yrs I had F, the premiums increased 50%.
That is a 7% increase/yr of which 3% is the disappearing discount so the other component account for health care costs
increasing is 4%/yr. Now that the discount is gone, that 4% should approximate the annual increase from now on.

Have no idea about customer service quality since I never had to use it except to sign up for F and recently G. I had UHC as a company benefit before Medicare and it was fine also but I never had any major problems during that time so perhaps not the best stress test.

Oleanmike

Post by Oleanmike » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:37 pm

I have had AARP plan G this year. Signup was through a broker and it was easy.

I met the deductible early in the year and have about 15 claims since then. The process has been seamless between Medicare and AARP/UHC. One month I get a summary from Medicare about how they handled the claim and the next month a statement from UHC about how they paid the remainder.

No disputes whatsoever. I highly recommend.

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:12 pm

celia wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:56 am
Billing issues should not be a problem with any of the Medigap carriers. Medicare decides what the cost of a service should be for your area. Then it assigns the deductible to you (if any) and pays 80%, leaving 20% for the carrier. There is no decision to be made by the time it gets to the Medigap carrier. But if Medicare rejected the claim (eg, not medically necessary) and doesn't pay, neither will the Medigap carrier. In these cases you may need to go back to the patient liaison representative for the doctor group and ask if they can get correct billing codes and re-submit the claim. I usually get the Medigap carrier's Explanation of Benefits before the Medicare Explanation, even though the Medigap carrier pays second.

DH used UHC when he was on Plan F but changed carriers to go on Plan G last year, not realizing they were just starting to offer Plan G. This year he went back to them.

I *think* their premiums are the same across the country and are easy to understand. For Plan G, they charge $239.75 per month for those age 77 and over. Subtract 3% for each year under age 77 you are. (For example, if you are 65, you are 12 years less than 77, and you would pay 36% less. So 100% - 36% = 64%. $239.75 * 64% = $153.44. On each birthday month, the premium increases so that you lose 3% of the discount.)

When you get the first bill, there will be a form for signing up for electronic withdrawal from your account. That will save you another $2 a month. and if you and your spouse both sign up with them, you will each save another 5%.

Signing up is easy if you don't have to go through medical underwriting. If you do it by phone, you have to listen to disclaimers they have to read to you out loud. But if you do it online, there may be a few questions you aren't sure of, so you may end up phoning in anyways. Currently, they are allowing current AARP United HeathCare members to change from any of their plans to any other plans they have without medical underwriting. That means their current policyholders who don't have plan F (the most comprehensive plan) can sign up for it if they want.
Even though I have read many threads on Medicare your advice from experience is very helpful. As you probably gathered I am signed up for Medicare for the first time. I was not aware there is no decision to be made by the Medigap carrier. That is reassuring.

The premiums may not be the same across the country as in my area Plan G is $111.68 at age 65.

Thank you for the information about savings for electronic withdrawal. I will sign up online and go with Plan G as the cost of the Part B deductible is less than the difference between Plan F and Plan G premiums. As has been said before in other threads the changing demographic for Plan F may result in greater annual increases than Plan G. I don't want to rely on being able to change from F to G later on without underwriting.

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:18 pm

mouses wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:26 am
catalina355 wrote:

Thanks!
I have AARP Plan F with is almost Plan G. It covers everything Plan F covers plus there are no copays and no deductible. They have been quite decent, worlds away from UHC running its own non-Medicare plans which I would advise everyone never to sign up for if they have a choice.

I pay annually. I didn't look up the intervening years but here are my 2011 $1690.00 and 2018 $2760.12 payments.

I also have AARP Plan D and they have approved, usually within a day or two, any med my doctor asked for even ones that cost thousands a month. That is in contrast to UHC in its own plans which denied the most important one and also gave me the run around about it for almost a year. Either Medicare itself or AARP is reining in UHC in the Medigap plans.
I had UHC for employer sponsored insurance and the experience with UHC was not too bad. Physician's offices sometimes had to insist UHC do the medically appropriate thing but fortunately I did not have to get involved.

I'm sorry you had a worse experience with UHC. I think that it is Medicare itself the is reigning in the Medigap insurers. A good thing too. It would be even better if Medicare covered 100% with an additional premium.

Which AARP Plan D allows approval of medications that the doctor requested?

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:19 pm

kaneohe wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:05 pm
I had AARP Plan F until a month ago when I switched to G. During the 6 yrs I had F, the premiums increased 50%.
That is a 7% increase/yr of which 3% is the disappearing discount so the other component account for health care costs
increasing is 4%/yr. Now that the discount is gone, that 4% should approximate the annual increase from now on.

Have no idea about customer service quality since I never had to use it except to sign up for F and recently G. I had UHC as a company benefit before Medicare and it was fine also but I never had any major problems during that time so perhaps not the best stress test.
Did you end up signing up online or did you do it all on the phone?

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:21 pm

Oleanmike wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:37 pm
I have had AARP plan G this year. Signup was through a broker and it was easy.

I met the deductible early in the year and have about 15 claims since then. The process has been seamless between Medicare and AARP/UHC. One month I get a summary from Medicare about how they handled the claim and the next month a statement from UHC about how they paid the remainder.

No disputes whatsoever. I highly recommend.
This is great news all round. I hope the online sign up will also be easy.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:39 pm

I've had AARP/UHC Plan G for about 1-1/2 years. Unfortunately I've used it extensively in that time.

I chose the plan at the recommendation of my agent after much discussion. I resisted because after joining AARP many years ago I had to fight for years to stop the deluge of junk mail from them. As a result I had a negative reaction to anything carrying the AARP name. I knew I had to join AARP in order to sign up for the plan so I could envision the avalanche of junk coming again. When I called to join I made it very clear to the rep that I wanted NO mailings from AARP other that that which is directly related to my insurance and she said they could do that....and they have.

Not only have I used the plan extensively but I've used it mostly with a provider that doesn't accept Medicare assignment. This means that both Medicare and AARP/UHC checks come to me and I am responsible for paying the provider. Given that I am very pleased to say that after many months and claims everything has gone like clockwork. The billings flow smoothly from the provider to Medicare and on to the AARP/UHC systems and the checks arrive in the mail to me in a timely fashion and in the correct amounts so I can pay the provider. I was apprehensive to begin with but have been more than pleased with the coordination of the systems. One thing that has been of great help in my situation is that the provider's billing department is very organized and the reps are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

I'm also very pleased that I chose Plan G because since my provider doesn't accept assignment they can charge a percentage (somewhere between 10% and 15% - it's complicated to explain) over the Medicare approved amount and Plan G pays those 'excess' charges. I wish it weren't the case but for me that has added up to a significant amount already.

So to make a long story short, I now understand why my agent made the recommendation that he did and I'm glad that I took his suggestion. I would not hesitate for a moment to recommend the AARP/UHC Plan G to anyone considering it both for the coverage it provides as well as the quality of administrative services that have been provided to me.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:07 am

Semes that all insurers in a given market area essentially offer the same Plan G coverage, and actual payment is determined by CMS and not the insurer. Therefore, with the exception of future premium increases, unless there’s a real difference in others aspects of how the policy is administered I see no reason why you wouldn’t simply pick the lowest cost insurance.

When I shopped at age 65, in 2015, the UHC Plan G was at or near the highest priced Plan G in my market.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:56 am

catalina355 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:19 pm
kaneohe wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:05 pm

Did you end up signing up online or did you do it all on the phone?
signed up on the phone via broker (Extend Health, now called Via) for plan F and on phone myself for plan G.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:01 am

neilpilot wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:07 am
................................................. Therefore, with the exception of future premium increases, unless there’s a real difference in others aspects of how the policy is administered I see no reason why you wouldn’t simply pick the lowest cost insurance.

If you could figure this out tho, it might be important............

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:26 am

neilpilot wrote:
Semes that all insurers in a given market area essentially offer the same Plan G coverage, and actual payment is determined by CMS and not the insurer. Therefore, with the exception of future premium increases, unless there’s a real difference in others aspects of how the policy is administered I see no reason why you wouldn’t simply pick the lowest cost insurance.
I agree. The problem I had when choosing a plan is that it's tough if not impossible to know what future premium increases will be or the quality of administration. As far as administration, I was able to talk to others but in my case so many had AARP/UHC that it was difficult to get a feel for how other insurers might compare. Of course premium increases can't be known.

Ultimately I went with my broker's recommendation because I've had very good experience with him on other insurance issues. He certainly doesn't want to recommend a company that I'm going to have problems with because it may very well end up requiring his time and effort to help resolve. But I have no way to know differences in his compensation between insurers and how that impacts his recommendations.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:45 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:26 am
neilpilot wrote:
I agree. The problem I had when choosing a plan is that it's tough if not impossible to know what future premium increases will be or the quality of administration. As far as administration, I was able to talk to others but in my case so many had AARP/UHC that it was difficult to get a feel for how other insurers might compare. Of course premium increases can't be known.

Ultimately I went with my broker's recommendation because I've had very good experience with him on other insurance issues. He certainly doesn't want to recommend a company that I'm going to have problems with because it may very well end up requiring his time and effort to help resolve. But I have no way to know differences in his compensation between insurers and how that impacts his recommendations.
Back in 2015 I worked with a broker, and that resulted in my deciding on Plan G. Then the broker essentially said I should pick the cheapest Plan G he sold since he said the coverage and service would all be the same. Unfortunately for him I Googled my states Plan Gs and found that the cheapest was a plan that only sold direct, i.e. not thru a broker. Maybe that's one reason why they were the lowest premium.

So far after 3 years I've had absolutely no issues at all, and no paperwork to complete. I simply pay the premium. It started out at about $97/mo at 65, and is now up to $111/mo for each 68 year old.

Munir

Post by Munir » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:58 am

It seems that most if not all posters in this thread are praising plan G over Plan F. Any opinions to the contrary and why?

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:17 am

Munir wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:58 am
It seems that most if not all posters in this thread are praising plan G over Plan F. Any opinions to the contrary and why?
There has been a lot of previous discussion about plans F and G on this board. A search will bring them up. Here's a fairly recent one....

viewtopic.php?t=229222

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:49 pm

F vs G: DW loves Plan F because there is no deductible, no copays. Even though it costs us a few bucks more. For me, I have Plan N.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:05 pm

I also have Plan N. I don't mind paying an occasional copay in exchange for having a lower premium. Plan N does not pay Doctor's Excess Charges, but in my state (PA) Doctors are not permitted to charge those. If I remember correctly OH is the only other state with that restriction.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:34 pm

Munir wrote:
I like Plan F because it's hands free. I don't have to pay copays or any bills. I've read the speculation that premiums will increase faster than Plan G. If that happens I will think about doing something about it, although I realize that may involve underwriting, in which case I won't be able to.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:37 pm

catalina355 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:18 pm
mouses wrote:
catalina355 wrote:

Thanks!

I had UHC for employer sponsored insurance and the experience with UHC was not too bad. Physician's offices sometimes had to insist UHC do the medically appropriate thing but fortunately I did not have to get involved.

I'm sorry you had a worse experience with UHC. I think that it is Medicare itself the is reigning in the Medigap insurers. A good thing too. It would be even better if Medicare covered 100% with an additional premium.

I am not sure what you are asking. My understanding is that if a med is not in a plan's formulary, the doctor has to get approval to get it covered.

Munir

Post by Munir » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 pm

I compared the cost of the premium for my current plan F vs. plan G for me in Oregon on the AARP web site and plan F was cheaper!! I don't know why except that I have been with Plan F for many years and maybe that gives me a deduction of some kind. If I was a first-timer (newcomer), then plan G would be cheaper.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:19 pm

Munir wrote:

Either way you will share the risk pool with the higher utilizers of health care so I dont think there will be much difference in rate stability.Since the F plan will be closed to those who turn 65 after 2020 the rates may be more stable since the plan wont have to accept all comers in guarantee issues scenarios regardless of health like the plan G will continue to do. IMO the N is the better value of these three plans for most people and will have better rate stability .

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:30 pm

Since the F plan will be closed to those who turn 65 after 2020 the rates may be more stable since the plan wont have to accept all comers in guarantee issues scenarios regardless of health like the plan G will continue to do.
Except that you are forgetting that Plan F will lose all the younger (65) and perhaps healthy? participants. With zero new entrants, over actuarial time Plan F will become older and sicker. Premiums should increase faster than in Plan G.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:53 pm

Munir wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 pm
I compared the cost of the premium for my current plan F vs. plan G for me in Oregon on the AARP web site and plan F was cheaper!! I don't know why except that I have been with Plan F for many years and maybe that gives me a deduction of some kind. If I was a first-timer (newcomer), then plan G would be cheaper.
If you are saying that your current plan F (with a company other than AARP/UHC) is less than AARP's plan G, than that's totally believable.

When I started Plan G with TnFarmBureau, G was $87 and F was $104. If I had gone with Aetna, G was $110 and F was $144. If I had gone with Transamerica, G was $147 and F was $160.

So to summarize, TnFarmBureau's Plan F at $104 would have been less than the Plan G at either Aetna or Transamerica. That was in 2015.

There are many who choose AARP (UHC), possibly due to their advertising, and pay a premium over several perfectly fine underwriters who also offer the exact same plan.

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:45 pm

mouses wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:34 pm
Munir wrote:
I like Plan F because it's hands free. I don't have to pay copays or any bills. I've read the speculation that premiums will increase faster than Plan G. If that happens I will think about doing something about it, although I realize that may involve underwriting, in which case I won't be able to.
The only difference between F and G is the $183 annual deductible. Once you satisfy that thee are no copays or other bills.

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:48 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:53 pm
Munir wrote:
If you are saying that your current plan F (with a company other than AARP/UHC) is less than AARP's plan G, than that's totally believable.

When I started Plan G with TnFarmBureau, G was $87 and F was $104. If I had gone with Aetna, G was $110 and F was $144. If I had gone with Transamerica, G was $147 and F was $160.

So to summarize, TnFarmBureau's Plan F at $104 would have been less than the Plan G at either Aetna or Transamerica. That was in 2015.

There are many who choose AARP (UHC), possibly due to their advertising, and pay a premium over several perfectly fine underwriters who also offer the exact same plan.
It shows how things vary depending on where you live. AARP/UHC is the lowest cost Plan G of those available in my area and Blue Cross is slightly higher.

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:54 pm

mouses wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:37 pm
catalina355 wrote:
mouses wrote:
catalina355 wrote:

Thanks!

I am not sure what you are asking. My understanding is that if a med is not in a plan's formulary, the doctor has to get approval to get it covered.
I understand. I was surprised that Medicare would approve a medication not in a plan's formulary and that AARP Plan D would pay. I thought the plan's formulary was fixed. Different plans having different formularies.

Munir

Post by Munir » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:09 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:53 pm
Munir wrote:

All the estimates I quoted are with AARP/UHC and all are in Oregon.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:10 pm

catalina355 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:54 pm
mouses wrote:
catalina355 wrote:
mouses wrote:
catalina355 wrote:

Thanks!

I understand. I was surprised that Medicare would approve a medication not in a plan's formulary and that AARP Plan D would pay. I thought the plan's formulary was fixed. Different plans having different formularies.
I don't think Medicare has any say in which meds, as all the cost is paid by Plan D and the patient. I think the only federal involvement is Congress prohibiting negotiating the prices with BigPharma as regular insurance is able to do.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:28 pm

mouses wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:10 pm
catalina355 wrote:
mouses wrote:
catalina355 wrote:
mouses wrote:

I don't think Medicare has any say in which meds, as all the cost is paid by Plan D and the patient. I think the only federal involvement is Congress prohibiting negotiating the prices with BigPharma as regular insurance is able to do.

CMS does establish what the universe of possible covered drugs are for all part D plans and mandates that all PDP formularies must cover at least one drug in each of the drug therapy categories. Sometimes you will see a non medicare covered drug such as Viagra covered on a MAPD plan but the cost of this would be covered by entirely by the plan since Viagra is not in the universe of medicare covered drugs

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:50 pm

cashmoney wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:28 pm
mouses wrote:
catalina355 wrote:
mouses wrote:
catalina355 wrote:

CMS does establish what the universe of possible covered drugs are for all part D plans and mandates that all PDP formularies must cover at least one drug in each of the drug therapy categories. Sometimes you will see a non medicare covered drug such as Viagra covered on a MAPD plan but the cost of this would be covered by entirely by the plan since Viagra is not in the universe of medicare covered drugs
So who approves a medication if a doctor requests it for a patient?

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:14 pm

catalina355 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:50 pm
cashmoney wrote:
mouses wrote:
catalina355 wrote:
mouses wrote:

The insurance company can make an exception as long as it is a medicare covered drug

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:19 pm

cashmoney wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:14 pm
catalina355 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:50 pm
cashmoney wrote:
mouses wrote:
catalina355 wrote:

The insurance company can make an exception as long as it is a medicare covered drug
Thank you.