Thinking of moving to Texas, Iowa, Idaho, or North Carolina

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Radman

Re: Thinking of moving to Texas, Iowa, Idaho, or North Carolina

Post by Radman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:11 pm

I can’t speak for all the locations, but I did move from Atlanta to Des Moines for work 2 years ago and I can support what others are saying. Des Moines is a great mid sized city for young families. We have found life much more livable. Great schools, plenty of activities and culture, easy commutes, low crime, and reasonable home prices. It was named a 2018 too 10 place to live by US News and World reports for what that’s worth.

There is winter of course but if you dress appropriately it’s fine. Half the country has winter, I think some focus on it too much but I guess it depends what your priorities are.

Atlanta was great but as a young family we found ourselves dealing with the downsides of a major metro (traffic, pollution, poor schools, crime, etc) more then the benefits like major sporting events, museums, and concerts. Sounds like Houston and Dallas would be similar. Charlotte may be heading that way but at the moment seems still reasonable.

mnnice

Post by mnnice » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Iowa’s weather is unpredictable. Yesterday at this time it was 87.Today it’s 57. It was about 40 first thing this morning.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:43 pm

It really is a lifestyle decision.If you want better schools and environment for your children, a move to a colder climate is probably the best. That is just reality. I think today you have to go "colder" to get a better overall quality of life. I have lived in California, Arizona, and more recently, Montana, and have to say that I really like the dry, colder weather and the people.

You will find a job wherever you go, so go for where you would like to live.

My recommendation would be: Boise, Fort Collins, Bend, Oregon, Bozeman or Billings, MT. . Less culture shock than N.C. or Texas, nice dry winters.
Iowa would be a good place to raise a family but would you really stay there? Lots of Iowa snowbirds in Arizona.

I loved SoCal when I was younger and single, but I would only live there now if I were single and had at least $5 million so I could buy a tiny house in Newport Beach!

regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 pm

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:43 pm
It really is a lifestyle decision.If you want better schools and environment for your children, a move to a colder climate is probably the best. That is just reality.
???

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:00 pm

What is wrong with the other states you are not considering? How did you narrow it down to just those 4 states?

grokzilla

Post by grokzilla » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:43 am

laughlinlvr wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:52 pm
Compared to SoCal (where my S-I-L lives) I would say NC has SoCal beat hands down in affordability of homes, culture (especially high culture), parking facilities and crime.
You totally had me until "high culture!" What the heck is high culture and how could NC ever have anything remotely resembling it? :)

Presumably you mean high-brow elements such as museums, art, plays, symphonies, etc? Unfortunately, if that's the case there is simply no comparison. I'm sure to the outside observer the sheer quantity of "low culture" in So Cal overwhelms, but it is a vast metropolis literally filled with the fancy flavors. Disney Hall, LA Philharmonic, LA Opera, LA Ballet, the Getty, the Greek, the Ford, the Ahmanson, Hollywood Bowl, countless Museums of Art, the Geffen, Page Museum, Natural History Museum, Griffith park, etc... And, that's just a few in Los Angeles. Of course, LA county is more populous than the entire state of NC so no real surprise. But, OC and SD combined are also about the size of NC with an equal assortment of foo-foo.

OP: Don't move to NC thinking there's gonna be some sort of culture explosion. It ain't gonna happen. That said, you certainly might be able to experience more of it given the dramatically reduced traffic profile!

regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:00 am

grokzilla wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:43 am
laughlinlvr wrote:
Compared to SoCal (where my S-I-L lives) I would say NC has SoCal beat hands down in affordability of homes, culture (especially high culture), parking facilities and crime.
You totally had me until "high culture!" What the heck is high culture and how could NC ever have anything remotely resembling it? :)

Presumably you mean high-brow elements such as museums, art, plays, symphonies, etc? Unfortunately, if that's the case there is simply no comparison. I'm sure to the outside observer the sheer quantity of "low culture" in So Cal overwhelms, but it is a vast metropolis literally filled with the fancy flavors. Disney Hall, LA Philharmonic, LA Opera, LA Ballet, the Getty, the Greek, the Ford, the Ahmanson, Hollywood Bowl, countless Museums of Art, the Geffen, Page Museum, Natural History Museum, Griffith park, etc... And, that's just a few in Los Angeles. Of course, LA county is more populous than the entire state of NC so no real surprise. But, OC and SD combined are also about the size of NC with an equal assortment of foo-foo.

OP: Don't move to NC thinking there's gonna be some sort of culture explosion. It ain't gonna happen. That said, you certainly might be able to experience more of it given the dramatically reduced traffic profile!
No high culture?! The state fair just announced the new fair food. How does a Texas Pete Glazed Doughnut sound?

https://www.wral.com/unicorn-bacon-texa ... /17893151/

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:26 am

4nwestsaylng wrote:
It really is a lifestyle decision.If you want better schools and environment for your children, a move to a colder climate is probably the best. That is just reality.
Citation, please.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:35 am

regularguy455 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:00 am
grokzilla wrote:
laughlinlvr wrote:

Presumably you mean high-brow elements such as museums, art, plays, symphonies, etc? Unfortunately, if that's the case there is simply no comparison. [...]
No high culture?! The state fair just announced the new fair food. How does a Texas Pete Glazed Doughnut sound?

https://www.wral.com/unicorn-bacon-texa ... /17893151/
Pretty tasty actually. I'll have to go try one. :twisted:

Central NC is more of a food/music culture place than a art/theatre culture place, though it has both.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:18 pm

yohac wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:48 pm
nkotbbh wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:35 pm
umm.... why not? the town that starts with a D which one the one where the movie was filmed? or the one with a river behind it? why is it the worst choice?
I'm pretty sure he meant Dubuque, and I agree, compared to your other choices it's a bleak nowhere.

No one ever moves to Dyersville. It's a tiny little podunk town, just like a thousand others in Iowa, except for the Field of Dreams.
I heard Dubuque was cheap and Dyersville is just famous because of the movie but yeah I have heard it is really nothing but corn fields.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:19 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:44 pm
nkotbbh wrote:
Glockenspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:12 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:40 pm
If you want to test the weather put Fargo, ND on your list. :o Lots of good jobs and low unemployment. Our weather makes Iowa seem like the deep south. Ha ha.
Fargo is a great town with lots of jobs, high standard of living, but you will be in for a major cultural and weather shock, coming from California. I went to college in Fargo, and think of a very strong cold wind blowing across the prairie in the middle of January when it's 10 above to -10 below zero WITHOUT including the wind chill. The summers are glorious, however, and Fargo is very close to Lake Country in Minnesota.
so..... do you recommend it?
As far as recommending it, absolutely yes. I’d move back if my family was there. I grew up in Minnnesota. If you like the outdoors and can get into outdoor activities, even in cold weather, you’ll love it.
I guess i will look in to it.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:21 pm

LawEgr1 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:09 pm
yohac wrote:
nkotbbh wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:35 pm
umm.... why not? the town that starts with a D which one the one where the movie was filmed? or the one with a river behind it? why is it the worst choice?
I'm pretty sure he meant Dubuque, and I agree, compared to your other choices it's a bleak nowhere.

No one ever moves to Dyersville. It's a tiny little podunk town, just like a thousand others in Iowa, except for the Field of Dreams.
+1 all the way around

I meant Dubuque, but fully support the Dyersville comment as well. I apologize for not clarifying that, I did not realize Dyersville was in the original post. Dubuque is actually pretty in parts, and no where near what folks tend to think of when they think of Iowa. However, don't let the beauty of the river bluffs be the attracting quality.

I'd be happy to expound on it, but long story short be prepared for tight, close-knit circles, Catholicism, racism, winter and busch light. Coming from SoCal, just a hunch it wouldn't be your thing. HyVee is cool though, so there is that.
wow sounds pathetic/ridiculous talk about close minded people. but yeah if you can reiterate that be great.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:22 pm

22twain wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:24 am
nkotbbh wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:54 pm
and what do you mean "the man will get his money?"
"The man" is slang (in some groups, at least) for the government, in this case state and local govermnents. They need money in order to provide services. Different states use different combinations of various taxes and fees in order to raise that money.

Texas has no state income tax, and gets its money from property taxes and probably fees. I live in a different southern state that probably provides a similar level of services. Here we have a state income tax and rather low property taxes, especially for homeowners.
now I am in the Manufacturing Industry job title Machinist and have been doing it for a year now. Went through a 7 month schooling training program for Machinist.
Are you looking for jobs in specific kinds of industries? That might affect where you want to consider moving. If you move somewhere without having a job already lined up, I would think you'd want someplace with a good amount of that industry. For example, in South Carolina, near the cities along I-85 in the "upstate" (Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson), there are many automotive suppliers because of the big BMW plant in the area.
Yes most definitely I am staying in that industry "machinist" and will not move unless I have a job lined up first.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:23 pm

dcabler wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:28 am
nkotbbh wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:54 pm
dcabler wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:43 pm
sunny_socal wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:31 am
I can speak to this, moved from San Diego to Austin. (I may need my head examined for doing this move, I greatly prefer SD! :beer )

Anyway.

Austin - the good
- Jobs, jobs, jobs. Clearly this place is growing, construction is everywhere.
- The food is great! Especially BBQ, Oh my. (Exception is Mexican food)
- It actually rains!
- There are lots of trees
- There are a few hills, lots of streams, creeks, rivers, lakes
- Adequate outdoor recreation
- Decent local wine industry
- The people are very nice. Everyone says "yes sir", even the youngsters.
- Schools are very good! Our new HS is definitely better than even our private school in CA.
- No state tax
- Cost of utilities is lower than CA
- Auto registration is much lower than CA (eg. for 4 vehicles it was $1600/year, now $250/year)

Austin - the not as good
- There's no real Mexican food here, 99% of it is "tex-mex" (think cheese from a can.) Locals will get offended if you knock it, but the tex-mex is terrible. (Brisket in a taco?) You can find the good MX but it's an effort
- It's humid, seemingly all the time. If you sit still in the shade it's fine but if you're active, you'll sweat.
- Traffic can be bad. No worse the SoCal, but the infrastructure here can't handle any more people. The freeways are 2 lanes each way, compared to 6-10 lanes each way in CA. Freeway merge ramps are one lane. (Evenings/weekends are ok) Up in the northern part of the city they have some nice new toll roads that are ok but it will cost you.
- Politics are much like San Francisco. Probably only about 5% of the people are actually locals, everyone is a transplant. (Today's news: Austin restaurants are not allowed to throw away old food)
- Cost of living much higher than I would have expected! Houses are not cheap. Less than CA however.
- Food tends to be expensive, and there are fewer "hole-in-the-wall" spots compared to CA
- Far less opportunity for outdoor activities compared t oCA. No mountains unless you drive for two days or fly.
- Far less beer, and the beer is not as good as CA. The best beer is imported from CA.
- Property taxes are high, 2-3%, and change annually

EDIT: Added taxes
Are you talking about Cal-Mex or real Mex? Haven't ventured into East Austin for Mexican food or Fonda San Miguel or Las Palomas for interior Mexican yet?
I grew up in southeast Louisiana. Austin is quite dry, compared to that humidity.
Disagree on beer and hole in the wall restaurants.
Local wine here sucks, but not as bad as it did 10 years ago.
Yep on property taxes, but no income taxes. The man will get his money one way or another.
Traffic here is absolutely awful - glad I don't have to drive Mopac anymore for my current job. Traffic alone would make me think twice about moving here if I weren't already here. And there's a good chance it will be a reason to move elsewhere when retirement comes.

All tongue-in-cheek. :D
I'm not a local, but I got here as soon as I could get away from Louisiana (mid '80's)
Yes seems like property taxes are high but no income tax so its one or the other? and what do you mean "the man will get his money?"
"the man" being the gov't. Meaning property taxes are high because there is no income tax. Some places in the country have no sales tax, but they also have income tax and property tax. The revenue is still there, but it comes from different sources and is balanced differently among them.
So one way or another they will get their money.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:27 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:49 am
Glockenspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:44 pm
nkotbbh wrote:
Glockenspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:12 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:40 pm
If you want to test the weather put Fargo, ND on your list. :o Lots of good jobs and low unemployment. Our weather makes Iowa seem like the deep south. Ha ha.
Fargo is a great town with lots of jobs, high standard of living, but you will be in for a major cultural and weather shock, coming from California. I went to college in Fargo, and think of a very strong cold wind blowing across the prairie in the middle of January when it's 10 above to -10 below zero WITHOUT including the wind chill. The summers are glorious, however, and Fargo is very close to Lake Country in Minnesota.
so..... do you recommend it?
As far as recommending it, absolutely yes. I’d move back if my family was there. I grew up in Minnnesota. If you like the outdoors and can get into outdoor activities, even in cold weather, you’ll love it.
If Fargo is in the consideration loop, then add Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Bigger than Fargo. Slightly better weather as it is farther south and their weather is influenced a bit more from the Rockies as compared to Fargo where cold air pours down from Canada. It was 25 this morning. Ouch for early October.

Sioux Falls is growing and has good employment opportunities.
interesting, will consider home look nice on zillow.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:28 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 am
livesoft wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:55 am
These threads never resolve anything. I've lived in many places and I was never the only person living there, so people like all the places I have lived. So where have I lived and visited extensively:

California, Texas, spitting distance to Iowa where I have siblings, various parts of North Carolina where I have siblings, Fargo where the temp was 104 deg F and the mosquitos were the size of horseflies when I was there, and further north than Fargo for a few years in an Idaho-like place where it was dark in the winter from 3 pm onwards, but the summers were glorious. And many other places not yet mentioned in this thread.

So all of these are good choices to actually try out. One can always move again if they don't like the place.

And I've lived in a place where I had to cook my own Mexican food from ingredients shipped to me by my sisters.
+1. OP is going to get nothing but anecdotes, which are essentially irrelevant because we all value different things. As someone originally from the same general area as OP (left at age 23), it would take a 7-figure a year salary and the ability to work remotely to consider moving back to California. Can't stand the place. Even when visiting (~2x/yr to see childhood friends and my one sibling still there), wife (also California native) and I want to come home within 24hrs. Lived for 5yrs in Houston, loved it and enjoyed the other Texas metro areas a lot too (Dallas was my least favorite, but still would live there). Have visited Iowa, Idaho, and NC as well; initial impressions are I'd move to all 3 before California. We're currently in Utah, probably for the long-haul and we like it, but the wife and I might be in Texas if we didn't have so much family here.
I understand, if I can ill take a vacation and see if I can bring my parent's.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:31 pm

9to5er wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:16 pm
regularguy455 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:49 pm
OP, I think you need to consider culture fit. I’ve seen folks move to Raleigh that loved it or hated it. Any of those cities will be VERY different than California.
Agree that if you can find your culture fit, you'll be happiest. I just saw this thread, and laughed as I live in Texas, have thought about Idaho (have spent some time in the summers there), and NC. (I have never considered Iowa). I have lived in the Houston, Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio areas and like they say, Texas is big so these cities vary in culture. Kind of like SoCal is worlds apart from northern California. (I lived in SoCal for 6+ years before moving back to Texas).

North Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth area) is more conservative than the other big Texas cities in my experience. For me that was a good thing and I really like the area. I personally like a bit more land around my house, so I'd consider Ft. Worth if I went back to that region. It's probably a bit more laid back than Dallas as well. Houston is more diverse, but agree with others that traffic (crazy drivers) is an issue. It may also be the reason people think of Texas as humid. Austin has grown so quickly the traffic is indeed it's biggest issue. Austin is the most liberal of the larger Texas cities, but if you consider yourself a hipster or foodie then you may love it. San Antonio is a very large city, but likes to tout the small city feel. Traffic can be bad too, but probably not as frustrating as the other cities mentioned. San Antonio has attractions for visitors (Riverwalk, Alamo, Sea World). The economy is good, but probably doesn't get the hype of the other large Texas cities as the overall education level isn't as high which results in fewer Megacorp businesses here. There are some big call centers here if your spouse wants to stay in that line of work.

I agree with a previous poster that I did not see much in the way of work opportunities in Idaho when I looked. Whenever I decide to leave San Antonio, I may still need to consider NC as well as DFW, unless its after retirement, where Idaho could be an option.

Gook luck in your quest.
Yes I am getting a lot of feedback and now a bit confused to I have to make a final choice and see which to visit for vacation and make a choice from there. Me as a Machinist I have heard that "supposedly" Texas is number one state when it comes to machining.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:31 pm

white_water wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:34 pm
You might want to read the local paper hard copy or on-line for a few months and not just for the help wanted and real estate ads.

Also www.city-data.com is worth checking. lots of numbers there to look at;
Thanks.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:33 pm

laughlinlvr wrote:
I lived and worked in Cary, NC for several years until relocating to eastern Idaho in 2015. Compared to SoCal (where my S-I-L lives) I would say NC has SoCal beat hands down in affordability of homes, culture (especially high culture), parking facilities and crime. Big downside is the humidity, which others have mentioned, the pine pollen and the bugs - which others have not. Employment prospects are second to none. I've worked in Texas. While LCOL was nice, I found it alienating and superficial. Felt lonely there. Crime and social problems are abundant there.
Now I'm in eastern Idaho I find myself living in paradise. Yellowstone, Craters of the Moon and Grand Tetons a tank away. Glacier, Black Hills and Utah's "Big 5" a day away. It's a LCOL area. Crime miniscule. Culture is okay. Lots of family orientated stuff to do - and lots of that is free. This is an area of religious observance (as is NC and TX - SoCal perhaps not so much). Eastern ID is in the LDS heartland. Boise is not.
Many posters mention the winters as though the ice storms in NC (which are untreated outside the big, affluent cities) don't exist. Your car can spin just as easily in NC as in IA. And is more likely to get hit with the huge traffic growth they've experienced in NC. One huge plus for ID is the lack of humidy and lack of flying insects. This makes outdoor life without equal IMHO. The only state with more wilderness is Alaska. I agree that you should not move to ID on spec. Have jobs lined up. Boise is definitiely a millenial city with a lively downtown resaurant/brew pub scene. (This is also true for Durham and no doubt other NC cities.)
One other thing you should be aware of in relocating to ID is that Californians are not welcome. Natives feel they are being squeezed out by rich Californians. A similar thing was true in NC where prejudice against northern transplants was rampant - until the locals were simply overhelmed!
lol not the first time I heard that. So overwhelmed meaning..... they stopped or took action in to their own hands? I also saw there is the KKK over there?

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:34 pm

new2bogle wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:04 pm
nkotbbh wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:47 pm
livesoft wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:43 am
goldensam wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:31 am
I live in Houston. .... Our high today is 89. With the heat and humidity, it says it currently feels like it is 96. At 11:30AM in October!
Yes, it is refreshingly cool today. That rain that moved through yesterday has really dropped the temps.
ive heard weather is unpredictable.
Not in Houston. If it's not January or February, the weather is hot and humid.
ok.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:35 pm

ladycat wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:23 pm
Definitely recommend getting accurate tax advice on the current home. Changing ownership may have a huge impact on property taxes. California reassesses tax base upon sale and you have a $260K increase in home value.
true need to get with the right real estate agent and cpa.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Radman wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:11 pm
I can’t speak for all the locations, but I did move from Atlanta to Des Moines for work 2 years ago and I can support what others are saying. Des Moines is a great mid sized city for young families. We have found life much more livable. Great schools, plenty of activities and culture, easy commutes, low crime, and reasonable home prices. It was named a 2018 too 10 place to live by US News and World reports for what that’s worth.

There is winter of course but if you dress appropriately it’s fine. Half the country has winter, I think some focus on it too much but I guess it depends what your priorities are.

Atlanta was great but as a young family we found ourselves dealing with the downsides of a major metro (traffic, pollution, poor schools, crime, etc) more then the benefits like major sporting events, museums, and concerts. Sounds like Houston and Dallas would be similar. Charlotte may be heading that way but at the moment seems still reasonable.
cool thanks for letting me know but can you elaborate.... I was told NOT to move to Des Moines I guess it is ghetto? and crime I have seen a few homes online that definitely look nice and neighborhoods that look torn down.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:39 pm

4nwestsaylng wrote:
It really is a lifestyle decision.If you want better schools and environment for your children, a move to a colder climate is probably the best. That is just reality. I think today you have to go "colder" to get a better overall quality of life. I have lived in California, Arizona, and more recently, Montana, and have to say that I really like the dry, colder weather and the people.

My recommendation would be: Boise, Fort Collins, Bend, Oregon, Bozeman or Billings, MT. . Less culture shock than N.C. or Texas, nice dry winters.
Iowa would be a good place to raise a family but would you really stay there? Lots of Iowa snowbirds in Arizona.

I loved SoCal when I was younger and single, but I would only live there now if I were single and had at least $5 million so I could buy a tiny house in Newport Beach!
that is hilarious me personally if I had 5 million I probably still wouldn't do it its just not worth it in California anymore now imagine that money in another state.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:41 pm

dknightd wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:00 pm
What is wrong with the other states you are not considering? How did you narrow it down to just those 4 states?
just states honestly that I have been seeing online texas is the more expensive one to buy real estate while IA, NC, and ID are cheaper. Still would consider others.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:43 pm

grokzilla wrote:
laughlinlvr wrote:

By all means feel free to correct me but "culture explosion" you're meaning any race outside of the "norm?"

sillysaver

Post by sillysaver » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:19 pm

I lived briefly in Raleigh and worked in Cary, NC, when I was in my twenties. At the time, I thought it was a very boring place. However, today I think it might suit me better, as I no longer find urban living very "exciting."

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:48 pm

If you’re going to consider Iowa, you’ll like Minnesota a whole lot more. If not the Twin Cities, consider Rochester, Mankato, or Duluth. Fewer corn fields, more lakes, more scenery, better jobs, pro sports. Southern Minnesota is about the same climate as Iowa. Consistently rated a top place to live.

Radman

Post by Radman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:01 pm

nkotbbh wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:37 pm
Radman wrote:

cool thanks for letting me know but can you elaborate.... I was told NOT to move to Des Moines I guess it is ghetto? and crime I have seen a few homes online that definitely look nice and neighborhoods that look torn down.
I was speaking of the greater Des Moines metro. Specifically you could look at the western or northern suburbs. Ankeny, West Des Moines, Clive, Urbandale, Waukee and Johnston. Des Moines proper has nice areas as well such as south of grand. But yes, Des Moines itself has areas that are rougher (like most larger cities do and those areas in Des Moines are nothing like the rough areas I saw in Atlanta). From any of the above suburbs you are 10-20 minutes to get downtown. Your commute would obviously depend on where you work.

In general, I would say if you were considering moving to Iowa from out of state, most of the growing opportunities outside of agriculture are in the Greater Dea Moines metro, the Iowa City/Ceder Rapids corridor, and the quad cities. Of course it will all depend on where you have job opportunities.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:28 pm

sillysaver wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:19 pm
I lived briefly in Raleigh and worked in Cary, NC, when I was in my twenties. At the time, I thought it was a very boring place. However, today I think it might suit me better, as I
no longer find urban living very "exciting."
what is the reason for?

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:48 pm
If you’re going to consider Iowa, you’ll like Minnesota a whole lot more. If not the Twin Cities, consider Rochester, Mankato, or Duluth. Fewer corn fields, more lakes, more scenery, better jobs, pro sports. Southern Minnesota is about the same climate as Iowa. Consistently rated a top place to live.
Well another reason I was considering Iowa was because it is really growing a lot manufacturing especially (I am a machinist) and jobs are becoming an abundance so they are looking for people bad. But I am definitely open to other states so I will take for consideration what you have said and I will check out Minnesota.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:32 pm

Radman wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:01 pm
nkotbbh wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:37 pm
Radman wrote:

I was speaking of the greater Des Moines metro. Specifically you could look at the western or northern suburbs. Ankeny, West Des Moines, Clive, Urbandale, Waukee and Johnston. Des Moines proper has nice areas as well such as south of grand. But yes, Des Moines itself has areas that are rougher (like most larger cities do and those areas in Des Moines are nothing like the rough areas I saw in Atlanta). From any of the above suburbs you are 10-20 minutes to get downtown. Your commute would obviously depend on where you work.

In general, I would say if you were considering moving to Iowa from out of state, most of the growing opportunities outside of agriculture are in the Greater Dea Moines metro, the Iowa City/Ceder Rapids corridor, and the quad cities. Of course it will all depend on where you have job opportunities.
I saw a video where it was people from the state of Iowa and jobs are becoming an abundance including Manufacturing ( I am a Machinist) so that is one of the reasons why. It seems like the state of Iowa is really growing and is in need of people for work.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:05 am

nkotbbh wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:39 pm
4nwestsaylng wrote:

that is hilarious me personally if I had 5 million I probably still wouldn't do it its just not worth it in California anymore now imagine that money in another state.
Actually I agree, on second thought probably would get a small ranch in Montana.But I don't think I have to worry, it is a pure hypothetical!

sillysaver

Post by sillysaver » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:22 am

nkotbbh wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:28 pm
sillysaver wrote:
I lived briefly in Raleigh and worked in Cary, NC, when I was in my twenties. At the time, I thought it was a very boring place. However, today I think it might suit me better, as I
what is the reason for?
I lived in LA for about a decade. Let's just say the novelty wears off after a few years. I got tired of the noise, high costs, rude people, pollution, traffic, etc.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:04 am

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:05 am
nkotbbh wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:39 pm
4nwestsaylng wrote:

Actually I agree, on second thought probably would get a small ranch in Montana.But I don't think I have to worry, it is a pure hypothetical!
Yes Montana I seen pictures online definitely looks nice, I use to work with a lady who retired her and her husband sold their house in Orange county and moved over to Montana and retire there.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:07 am

sillysaver wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:22 am
nkotbbh wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:28 pm
sillysaver wrote:
what is the reason for?
I lived in LA for about a decade. Let's just say the novelty wears off after a few years. I got tired of the noise, high costs, rude people, pollution, traffic, etc.
I know what you mean its get's old real fast! traffic has doubled in the last 10 yrs. The theme parks tend to have more tourist then actual residents and are getting expensive for the regular joe. Disneyland has more tourist then actual Anaheim residents.

LMBFlorida

Post by LMBFlorida » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:20 pm

You may want to look at South Carolina also. There is a high level of manufacturing companies here in SC and they are all growing rapidly. Machinists are in great demand in both the Greenville/Anderson area and also in Charleston. Michelin, BMW, Volvo, TTI, First Quality, and many medium size companies supporting the big boys. Taxes and COL are also lower than NC.

I will second all the suggestions to visit before you relocate. may also want to rent for a year to truly learn the area. I have lived in Houston and for 8 years and very much liked living there. I have a cousin that lives in Des Moines and loves it.

good luck with your decisions

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:47 pm

nkotbbh wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:07 am
... traffic has doubled in the last 10 yrs. ...
I think one can say that about almost every county with more than 50,000 people in every state in the USA.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:56 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:37 am
Charlotte and Raleigh are the 2 largest cities in NC and both have been prospering and growing at a rapid rate for a long time. Both have their share of traffic problems but nothing like Southern California. NC has a flat rate for state income tax: 5.49% with very few deductions. The weather is nice except for the hot humid days of July and August. People complain the heat and humidity but it has never bothered me much. I am active outdoors year round at age 74. Also, our humidity is not nearly as bad as the coast or Florida.

Both cities have a lot to offer. Charlotte is 2 hours from the mountains and 3.5 hours to the coast. Raleigh is further to the mountains but closer to the coast. Charlotte has a NFL team, the Panthers, and a NBA team, the Hornets. Raleigh has a NHL team and also has 3 major universities for college sports. There should be good job opportunities in both areas. I recommend that you visit sometime to get a feel for both areas. Greensboro and Winston Salem are mid sized cities that you also may want to check out.
+1. I think you should look at Charlotte first as it is a banking hub and HQ for some major banks like Bank of America among others and fits closely with your degree. I don’t think Idaho would offer anything great for employment, but you’d be solidly employed with a growth ceiling and earnings ceiling compared to Charlotte or Raleigh. I’d never move to Iowa just because of the climate, the weather in winter is grim to say the least. The people there are great however. Texas is in its own category and there are great job opportunities if you pick the right location. There ar parts of Texas I’d never move to if I had other options, but Austin is a great city and I like San Antonio a lot. Having spent time in each location, I’d zero in on NC and Texas. If you’ve never been to Charlotte you’ll be amazed the first time you go there.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:44 am

Wilderness Librarian wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:19 am

Several points related to this whole discussion.

I grew up in Idaho but have lived in several other states throughout my life. Retired and moved back. ... In my section of Idaho the winters are not harsh ( often freeze thaw snow and melt a few days latter) For my tastes they are actually too mild.
Wilderness Librarian, could you share with me what section of Idaho this is? We are taking a scouting trip to Idaho in December/January, and the climate you are talking about sounds nice (to us). Maybe PM me if you don't want to share w/ everyone, but would be comfortable otherwise?

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:49 am

I live most of the year in NC since retiring from CA. The first shock you will get is the hot humid weather. I've got used to the weather a bit but then we travel 1 month out of the summer. The people are fine and real estate is affordable. Traffic during peak times is as bad as anywhere you've been so plan on your commute from/To your work. For clarification, I'm talking about Charlotte area. Can't comment on Iowa but very much like the Boise area.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:45 am

TallBoy29er wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:44 am

I grew up in Idaho but have lived in several other states throughout my life. Retired and moved back. ... In my section of Idaho the winters are not harsh ( often freeze thaw snow and melt a few days latter) For my tastes they are actually too mild.
Wilderness Librarian, could you share with me what section of Idaho this is? We are taking a scouting trip to Idaho in December/January, and the climate you are talking about sounds nice (to us). Maybe PM me if you don't want to share w/ everyone, but would be comfortable otherwise?
TallBoy29er is not the only person curious about the answer. Please do "share w/ everyone."

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:55 am

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (where to live).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:13 pm

LMBFlorida wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:20 pm
You may want to look at South Carolina also. There is a high level of manufacturing companies here in SC and they are all growing rapidly. Machinists are in great demand in both the Greenville/Anderson area and also in Charleston. Michelin, BMW, Volvo, TTI, First Quality, and many medium size companies supporting the big boys. Taxes and COL are also lower than NC.

I will second all the suggestions to visit before you relocate. may also want to rent for a year to truly learn the area. I have lived in Houston and for 8 years and very much liked living there. I have a cousin that lives in Des Moines and loves it.

good luck with your decisions
I think I may be leaning towards texas although yes it is recommended I visit first which I plan on doing next year around summer time "June". I dont know if it is true but supposedly Iowa can hit -60 degrees F, like really that is COLD!

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:15 pm

TallBoy29er wrote:

Please post here so I can know as well.

jpjr

Post by jpjr » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Might I suggest you look into the Greenville, South Carolina area? Both you and your wife have transferable skills and would quickly find employment in your related fields. Greenville is in upstate SC, and is close to the mountains of North Carolina (Asheville) and is about two hour drive to either Charlotte,NC or Atlanta, GA. There are several large corporations (BMW, Michelin) and manufactures are clamoring for skilled workers. The climate is relatively moderate in the winter and summers are not as hot and humid as much of the Southeast. Taxes are favorable, health care is excellent, and the overall cost of living is lower than average. Please do yourself a favor and research the area.

Good luck!

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:46 pm

jpjr wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:22 pm
Might I suggest you look into the Greenville, South Carolina area? Both you and your wife have transferable skills and would quickly find employment in your related fields. Greenville is in upstate SC, and is close to the mountains of North Carolina (Asheville) and is about two hour drive to either Charlotte,NC or Atlanta, GA. There are several large corporations (BMW, Michelin) and manufactures are clamoring for skilled workers. The climate is relatively moderate in the winter and summers are not as hot and humid as much of the Southeast. Taxes are favorable, health care is excellent, and the overall cost of living is lower than average. Please do yourself a favor and research the area.

Good luck!
Good to know I was considering SC as well and I have been recommended Atlanta Ga as well.

Dakotah

Post by Dakotah » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:42 pm

I've lived in Texas (San Angelo, San Antonio), Idaho (near Boise), and North Carolina (Fayetteville).

It's been 15 years since I left, but I loved Boise. Nice weather, and had big-city amenities without too much traffic/congestion. Boise is by far the largest city in Idaho. Although areas out in the eastern part of the state (Pocatello, Idaho Falls) also seemed very nice.

I was not a big fan of Texas. Too hot for my northerner blood. Extremely aggressive drivers (specifically in San Antonio). San Angelo is a very small town.

Fayetteville is one of the most military-heavy cities in the country. It gets bad rap (Fayettenam!), but has made strides in the last 20 years or so. I really liked Raleigh...and really, really liked areas out in western North Carolina (Asheville and surrounding areas).

If weather REALLY isn't a factor...don't overlook areas in the Dakotas!

sergeant

Post by sergeant » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:14 pm

ladycat wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:23 pm
Definitely recommend getting accurate tax advice on the current home. Changing ownership may have a huge impact on property taxes. California reassesses tax base upon sale and you have a $260K increase in home value.
In California parents pass on the current property tax to children when they transfer ownership to them. I have friends paying 1970 property tax rates that live in homes that they bought or inherited from their parents.
Lincoln 3 EOW!

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:24 pm

I haven't read whole thread. I live in DFW area.

Pros:
one of the best job markets in the nation
Housing prices are very affordable and wide selection
For an urban area, I have found people generally friendly, and there are many transplants here
No state income taxes. Property taxes and sales taxes are relatively high though

Pro/con:

Weather. More temperate than north and upper Midwest but wide range of weather. Can get very hot. Houston is more humid. Can also occasionally snow and sleet and stop traffic for days. Last year in pockets it got down to single digits one day - first I ever recall that happening, but that was otherwise a nice day.

School systems: they can be good but you have to look in right area. We have generally been happy with ours.

Cons:

Occasionally weather. There is a month or two in summer that you often really don't want to go outside.

Traffic: it is bad, but probably not worse than other major cities. Actually it is getting somewhat better with some major highway construction finishing up.

Scenic beauty: CA it isn't, but there are pockets. Austin is probably best in that regard.

Tornados and hail storms - they happen.

Various tidbits:

- Houston would be my least favorite between dfw, Austin and Houston
- Austin has more culture in terms of music scene, and more outdoor activity opportunities with the hills and waterways
- I am somewhat knowledgeable of small refrigeration companies and can say good techs get paid very well, but it is hard work. With the wildly varying weather refrigeration techs are in high demand. As you probably know it is a specialized skill and requires aptitude and problem solving skills and enough people skills to interface with clients. People who are good at it often do better than people with many college degrees.

- with oil and gas industry, plus some other manufacturing (automotive, aircraft parts, etc) I suspect machining is in good demand too.

GW208

Post by GW208 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:39 pm

TallBoy29er wrote:

You might take a look into the Lewiston area. My sisters in-laws retired and moved from CA to Lewiston several years ago and they call it the banana belt of Idaho.