sunny_socal wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:31 am
I can speak to this, moved from San Diego to Austin. (I may need my head examined for doing this move, I greatly prefer SD!
Austin - the good
- Jobs, jobs, jobs. Clearly this place is growing, construction is everywhere.
- The food is great! Especially BBQ, Oh my. (Exception is Mexican food)
- It actually rains!
- There are lots of trees
- There are a few hills, lots of streams, creeks, rivers, lakes
- Adequate outdoor recreation
- Decent local wine industry
- The people are very nice. Everyone says "yes sir", even the youngsters.
- Schools are very good! Our new HS is definitely better than even our private school in CA.
- No state tax
- Cost of utilities is lower than CA
- Auto registration is much lower than CA (eg. for 4 vehicles it was $1600/year, now $250/year)
Austin - the not as good
- There's no real Mexican food here, 99% of it is "tex-mex" (think cheese from a can.) Locals will get offended if you knock it, but the tex-mex is terrible. (Brisket in a taco?) You can find the good MX but it's an effort
- It's humid, seemingly all the time. If you sit still in the shade it's fine but if you're active, you'll sweat.
- Traffic can be bad. No worse the SoCal, but the infrastructure here can't handle any more people. The freeways are 2 lanes each way, compared to 6-10 lanes each way in CA. Freeway merge ramps are one lane. (Evenings/weekends are ok) Up in the northern part of the city they have some nice new toll roads that are ok but it will cost you.
- Politics are much like San Francisco. Probably only about 5% of the people are actually locals, everyone is a transplant. (Today's news:
Austin restaurants are not allowed to throw away old food)
- Cost of living much higher than I would have expected! Houses are not cheap. Less than CA however.
- Food tends to be expensive, and there are fewer "hole-in-the-wall" spots compared to CA
- Far less opportunity for outdoor activities compared t oCA. No mountains unless you drive for two days or fly.
- Far less beer, and the beer is not as good as CA. The best beer is imported from CA.
- Property taxes are high, 2-3%, and change annually
EDIT: Added taxes