Thinking of moving to Texas, Iowa, Idaho, or North Carolina

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bloom2708

Re: Thinking of moving to Texas, Iowa, Idaho, or North Carolina

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:20 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:12 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:40 pm
If you want to test the weather put Fargo, ND on your list. :o Lots of good jobs and low unemployment. Our weather makes Iowa seem like the deep south. Ha ha.
Fargo is a great town with lots of jobs, high standard of living, but you will be in for a major cultural and weather shock, coming from California. I went to college in Fargo, and think of a very strong cold wind blowing across the prairie in the middle of January when it's 10 above to -10 below zero WITHOUT including the wind chill. The summers are glorious, however, and Fargo is very close to Lake Country in Minnesota.
Yes. I've lived in this area for 47 years and winter still punches me in the face. Spring and Fall do too. :shock:

I work at Megacorp and lots of people transplant in. They never probably adjust to the weather. Weather matters, but you can persevere over it, sometimes.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

trueblueky

Post by trueblueky » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:33 pm

treadingwater wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:13 am
Iowa has a 9% state income tax. Texas has none.
Iowa taxpayers can deduct their federal income tax from their income. So if your effective (not marginal) federal rate is 20%, you are paying Iowa on 80% of your income. This reduction in taxable income is a separate line available whether you itemize or take the standard deduction.

Because many taxpayers will have less federal income tax to deduct, the legislature lowered the top marginal rate to 8.53% beginning in 2019. If your federal effective rate is 20%, the Iowa marginal rate becomes .8.53(1 -.20) = 6.824% of otherwise taxable income.

The state funds much of K-12 education costs, which makes property taxes relatively low.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:43 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:31 am
I can speak to this, moved from San Diego to Austin. (I may need my head examined for doing this move, I greatly prefer SD! :beer )

Anyway.

Austin - the good
- Jobs, jobs, jobs. Clearly this place is growing, construction is everywhere.
- The food is great! Especially BBQ, Oh my. (Exception is Mexican food)
- It actually rains!
- There are lots of trees
- There are a few hills, lots of streams, creeks, rivers, lakes
- Adequate outdoor recreation
- Decent local wine industry
- The people are very nice. Everyone says "yes sir", even the youngsters.
- Schools are very good! Our new HS is definitely better than even our private school in CA.
- No state tax
- Cost of utilities is lower than CA
- Auto registration is much lower than CA (eg. for 4 vehicles it was $1600/year, now $250/year)

Austin - the not as good
- There's no real Mexican food here, 99% of it is "tex-mex" (think cheese from a can.) Locals will get offended if you knock it, but the tex-mex is terrible. (Brisket in a taco?) You can find the good MX but it's an effort
- It's humid, seemingly all the time. If you sit still in the shade it's fine but if you're active, you'll sweat.
- Traffic can be bad. No worse the SoCal, but the infrastructure here can't handle any more people. The freeways are 2 lanes each way, compared to 6-10 lanes each way in CA. Freeway merge ramps are one lane. (Evenings/weekends are ok) Up in the northern part of the city they have some nice new toll roads that are ok but it will cost you.
- Politics are much like San Francisco. Probably only about 5% of the people are actually locals, everyone is a transplant. (Today's news: Austin restaurants are not allowed to throw away old food)
- Cost of living much higher than I would have expected! Houses are not cheap. Less than CA however.
- Food tends to be expensive, and there are fewer "hole-in-the-wall" spots compared to CA
- Far less opportunity for outdoor activities compared t oCA. No mountains unless you drive for two days or fly.
- Far less beer, and the beer is not as good as CA. The best beer is imported from CA.
- Property taxes are high, 2-3%, and change annually

EDIT: Added taxes
Are you talking about Cal-Mex or real Mex? Haven't ventured into East Austin for Mexican food or Fonda San Miguel or Las Palomas for interior Mexican yet?
I grew up in southeast Louisiana. Austin is quite dry, compared to that humidity.
Disagree on beer and hole in the wall restaurants.
Local wine here sucks, but not as bad as it did 10 years ago.
Yep on property taxes, but no income taxes. The man will get his money one way or another.
Traffic here is absolutely awful - glad I don't have to drive Mopac anymore for my current job. Traffic alone would make me think twice about moving here if I weren't already here. And there's a good chance it will be a reason to move elsewhere when retirement comes.

All tongue-in-cheek. :D
I'm not a local, but I got here as soon as I could get away from Louisiana (mid '80's)

Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:10 pm

sillysaver wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:18 am
nkotbbh wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:26 pm
Texas cities to live in I have only thought of 2 Houston and Austin. Do not want to have my house flooded. Still considering other cities but those 2 are the main ones.
Austin has become too crowded because of migration (from places like California). Traffic and cost of housing have become big problems.
Totally agree!!! That’s why I left after I retired....

grokzilla

Post by grokzilla » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:27 pm

I know NC and TX pretty well having extended family in many locations in both states. And, also hail from CA.

I love to visit TX, but I'd be hard pressed to recommend it as a place to live and I would certainly never do it myself. Lots of positives, but nearly as many negatives. Great and interestingly diverse cities and people in an unfortunate geographical area. The metros are also just beginning to seriously struggle with population -- it's like CA in the 80s, but with MUCH less infrastructure. We know this tune...

NC is smaller but similar with interestingly diverse population centers, but in a tremendously fortunate geographical area. Also love visiting NC, but could easily see myself living there. Probably want to avoid the coast unfortunately (same with TX i suppose).

Ultimately, both TX and NC are good choices. Have only ever passed through the Idaho and Iowa.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:38 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:
If you want to test the weather put Fargo, ND on your list. :o Lots of good jobs and low unemployment. Our weather makes Iowa seem like the deep south. Ha ha.
Fargo is a great town with lots of jobs, high standard of living, but you will be in for a major cultural and weather shock, coming from California. I went to college in Fargo, and think of a very strong cold wind blowing across the prairie in the middle of January when it's 10 above to -10 below zero WITHOUT including the wind chill. The summers are glorious, however, and Fargo is very close to Lake Country in Minnesota.
Also count on not seeing the sun very often in Fargo from November-March. In addition to the wind and cold, it's very gloomy/cloudy in the winter. That will likely be a big change coming from CA; I don't recommend it. All of the other cities on your list are likely to be better choices (although Houston summers are at the other end of the weather spectrum.)

iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:01 pm

I am guessing Idaho would win in the weather department.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:15 pm

Charlieville wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:03 pm
I recommend Des Moines or the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area. I have lived in both areas. Great place to raise a family. Good public schools. Fairly cheap housing especially if you are coming from California. Traffic is bearable and the economy is strong. These two areas do not fit the farm stereotype.
ok will consider I do plan on taking a vacation next year maybe around summer time or june here for us in california.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:16 pm

MP123 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:10 pm
Texas has no state income tax. Your other three choices also have their advantages depending on what you're looking for.

What part of California are you coming from?

If you haven't already you should check out city-data.com forums.
actually I have read much about the weather very humid and traffic is also bad I hear. But I am from southern california LA county right next to orange county.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:17 pm

MJS wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:39 pm
You, your gf, (and any kid who can) would learn a lot about different places by playing with https://teleport.org/welcome It lets you select the stuff that matters to you, then narrows it down.
cool thanks.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:18 pm

DarthSage wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:10 am
We moved to North Carolina, 3 years ago. I can't speak to the other three places, except I recommend visiting, if possible, to draw your own conclusions.

NC is a big, diverse state--much to love in every area. Raleigh and Charlotte are huge--Charlotte is growing rapidly, but also housing costs are going up with the growth. OTOH, you would be able to find work easily. The "smaller" cities, like Asheville, Greenville, have their own pros/cons--if you like the outdoors, there are plenty of options with good parks, mountain trails, beaches, etc. nearby.

We live coastal, and our city got slammed in the hurricane (as in, Flo made landfall 10 miles from our house). Our neighborhood sustained tree damage/power lines down, but was mostly intact--other neighborhoods fared much worse. Flooding from the rivers was a much bigger problem than the actual storm hit. Here in Wilmington, there's been a TON of growth--not like Charlotte, which is a major city, but I've been surprised by the amount of construction, just in the time we've been here. We don't find taxes to be excessive (although any amount is too much, IMHO).

As far as schools go, NC has full school choice. Every county has at least one "early college" HS, where students complete an associate's alongside their HS diploma. My kids have the choice of 8(!!!) public high schools, each with a different focus--2 are Early College, then there's a Vo-tech, one with a STEM focus, Marine Biology, an IB program, and one with a more creative type curriculum. Sorry, I forgot the last. My DD15 went the IB route, which happens to be our home district, while DS12 may choose the STEM route. Obviously, smaller counties would have fewer choices, but there's something for everyone. VPS--Virtual Public School--is also big, so even small, remote schools have access to a plethora of choices--DD15 is currently taking an Honors Forensic Science course online--and the class continued, even throughout the hurricane shutdown (schools have been closed, they reopen tomorrow, not that I'm eager...).

We get one week of winter here. Seriously. I own a winter coat because I moved down from New England. I've never worn it here. My older son wears shorts/sandals year-round. He gets funny looks in Jan., but he won't freeze.
wow never heard of that here in california very interesting will consider.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:20 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:31 am
Absolutely visit where ever sticks on your list. The weather and natural disaster potential is all over the map with your picks. You'd fit fine culturally in Cary, just outside Raleigh (City of All Retired Yankees). But you'll also find the traffic to be familiar with southern CA. Depends where you live and where you need to get and when. My wife and I spent a lot of time looking at the Raleigh area for a work relocation and one thing we did find was that the infrastructure planning was better than anywhere else we've been. I also covered the area for work (why the opportunity was there) and would notice 3 lane roads in each direction in the middle of nowhere and with no traffic. A year later, it would seem like a mall, restaurants, businesses and neighborhoods just popped out of the ground. Since I covered the southeast, it was a stark difference from the Atlanta area where the same kind of construction would rely on the same single lane cow path.
yeah I was told to go check out Atlanta but have not even considered it.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:24 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:33 am
Where is your extended family at? Don’t underestimate being close to family if you’ve never lived away from them.

Have you been to any of those places? Have you been to any of them during the worst times of year for weather? Weather in other places can kind of be a rude awake awakening for a Californian.

Have you really looked at what the traffic is like in those places? Several of those places have traffic of their own.

Have you checked what YOUR tax situation would be in each of those places? Every state is different in how much tax it collects for various things, and every state has to collect money to run the state, so just knowing what the income tax is, or even the overall tax burden is won’t be all that useful to you. For example, when we lived in WA, there was no income tax, but property tax was double what we paid in CA, sales tax was over 10%, and among other super high fees, driver’s licenses were $80. When I retired, it was cheaper to move back to California. Property tax in TX is in the 4% range. CA is actually the middle of the pack as far as total tax burden.

Have you checked what the job opportunities would be in those places for your career paths? You should be able to eliminate a couple that way.

Have you checked into doing the things you like to do outside of work? Can you do them? Can you do them as much as you want?

Have you checked the culture of each of the places?

We tried the grass is greener someplace else thing, hated it, and moved back.
Ok dont mean to sound like a bad person but I have family here from uncles/aunts to cousins and a few young nephews and nieces but truth be told I hardly/rarely see them they are family by blood but if you define what family is they are not! my only real family here are my parents which truth be told I am trying to get them to leave california as well things are getting worse in here and california has now become "tent city" and we pay the most amount of taxes and highest amount of taxes.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:25 pm

burt wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:40 am
You mentioned that traffic was becoming unbearable in your current location.
If that's the case, you will want to avoid Houston.

burt
compared to california????? i dont know I would have to visit and see but yeah you are not the first to say it. Seems like Dallas is another bad traffic area.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:26 pm

yohac wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:07 am
nkotbbh wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:31 pm
I can kind of care less about weather as that does not pay your bills I just care about making a living.
I'm sure you mean that, but having grown up in Iowa, a Californian can't really comprehend an Iowa winter. Having to get up and go to work in the dark, in the middle of a blizzard. Driving on icy roads covered by snow. Maybe I'm not remembering exactly but it seemed like weeks would go by where it never got above freezing. Get into February and people are just depressed, as the cold just drags on and on. Iowa has much to recommend it, but don't underestimate the climate issue.

And as others have said, also don't underestimate the psychological impact of tearing up roots and moving to a new place where you know absolutely no one. If you're an extravert and make friends easily, maybe you'll have no problem. But I sure as hell did.
Dont mean to sound like a prude but I am more of a homebody although I have much family they are family by blood thats all.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:27 pm

sillysaver wrote:
nkotbbh wrote:
Texas cities to live in I have only thought of 2 Houston and Austin. Do not want to have my house flooded. Still considering other cities but those 2 are the main ones.
Austin has become too crowded because of migration (from places like California). Traffic and cost of housing have become big problems.
interesting you say that I have looked at zillow and it seems affordable? at least compared to califonia not to mention size of house/property.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:31 pm

FlyAF wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:45 am
You say that you don't care about weather, but then mention that you don't want your house flooded. That could rule out places like Houston, and where did that last hurricane hit the other week? That's right, NC. You also mention tornadoes, and yep, TX has those too, among many other types of severe weather. Saying that you don't care about the weather is truly spoken by someone who hasn't spent a summer in Houston or a winter in Iowa/Idaho, three places I could NEVER live. Austin has major traffic issues and the COL has skyrocketed in the last decade. I live in DFW and while you can make a fortune and live cheap, it's a boring and superficial place to live with no culture and no identity. I would do your research and not make an impulsive decision. For me personally, off of your list, I'd choose NC and cross off just about every other option you listed. Actually, I'd choose Austin, but you'd just be trading for a different kind of miserable traffic and COL and worse weather.
Seems like you are from Dallas? that was one area I was considering too. why choose NC? now question is how bad is traffic in Austin compared to Cali? and to be honest I have been on zillow and seems affordable at least compared to California? the size of home and property something like that here in California will at least be $700,000 plus! something I can not afford/qualify for here.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:32 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:47 am
yohac wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:07 am
nkotbbh wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:31 pm
I can kind of care less about weather as that does not pay your bills I just care about making a living.
I'm sure you mean that, but having grown up in Iowa, a Californian can't really comprehend an Iowa winter. Having to get up and go to work in the dark, in the middle of a blizzard. Driving on icy roads covered by snow. Maybe I'm not remembering exactly but it seemed like weeks would go by where it never got above freezing. Get into February and people are just depressed, as the cold just drags on and on. Iowa has much to recommend it, but don't underestimate the climate issue.
On the flip side, one of the theories for why obesity rates are higher in the South is because of the weather. The combination of heat and humidity makes it too hot to get any meaningful exercise outdoors for several months per year in large parts of the South. There are reasons to love the South, but the weather is pretty horrible a lot of the year.

One last thing, then I’ll shut up...we’re in the middle of spending several months traveling around the United States. I never really thought about how much it freaking rains in other places. A Southern Californian can’t really comprehend that until they experience it.
we are dying for rain no really!

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:33 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:03 am
I'd think about the taxes from the house. Since your parents own it and don't live in it, they wouldn't qualify for the capital gain exemption. If they quitclaim it to you, gift taxes may apply.
I think we/they would have to get the right CPA.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:35 pm

LawEgr1 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:51 am
Hi! Great list, I love the variety.

I grew up in Iowa, in the exact NE town you have listed that starts with a D. I do not recommend it and I firmly believe it's the worst choice you have on your list. I also spent a ton of time in Iowa City. I would recommend Iowa City - lovely area, U of Iowa nearby, relatively low cost of living with an educated populace that is more on the left leaning side / open. It is small, however, and could get tiresome after awhile. I also think Des Moines is a nice metro area and largely overlooked. Similar to Iowa City, easy to get around, LCOL, amenities are decent and >>larger than IC. However, with Iowa comes old man winter. That CANNOT be understated as someone who is from SoCal. I would imagine you would nope outta there in a heartbeat after a year or two...maybe not though.

I cannot vouch for Texas or Idaho.

We've considered NC triangle and Charlotte and have spent a good amount of time in both. I think Charlotte is a very nice area that fit (would fit) us better than the Triangle. Charlotte certainly had a more metro feel to it, Raleigh had better job opportunities and felt more suburban overall. Would recommend a quick visit to both. Weather is certainly an upgrade from Iowa, IMO and while it gets cool in those areas I do not think it would be something that would deter SoCalians from staying put long term. It will rain, but that's a different and milder beast than a true winter.

Not sure if Phoenix is on your list, but between keeping similar weather and having an HVAC background, combined with lower COL sounds like it might fit on the surface.

Good luck with your decision and let us know where you end up!
umm.... why not? the town that starts with a D which one the one where the movie was filmed? or the one with a river behind it? why is it the worst choice?

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:37 pm

chickadee wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:59 am
Austin has an affordability problem and traffic is no bueno. But unemployment is at 3%, so we need workers. I’d also look at a Houston or Dallas burb. The price you pay for a good economy is often traffic.
why do people keep saying Austin is not affordable? when I look at home prices compared to california they seem affordable? for example I can spend $175000 in austin where here in california you would be looking at $700000 plus cant afford that here. good size home and lot.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:43 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
I can speak to this, moved from San Diego to Austin. (I may need my head examined for doing this move, I greatly prefer SD! :beer )

Anyway.

Austin - the good
- It actually rains!
- Schools are very good! Our new HS is definitely better than even our private school in CA.
- No state tax
- Auto registration is much lower than CA (eg. for 4 vehicles it was $1600/year, now $250/year)

Austin - the not as good
- There's no real Mexican food here, 99% of it is "tex-mex" (think cheese from a can.) Locals will get offended if you knock it, but the tex-mex is terrible. (Brisket in a taco?) You can find the good MX but it's an effort
- It's humid, seemingly all the time. If you sit still in the shade it's fine but if you're active, you'll sweat.
- Traffic can be bad. No worse the SoCal, but the infrastructure here can't handle any more people. The freeways are 2 lanes each way, compared to 6-10 lanes each way in CA. Freeway merge ramps are one lane. (Evenings/weekends are ok) Up in the northern part of the city they have some nice new toll roads that are ok but it will cost you.
- Politics are much like San Francisco. Probably only about 5% of the people are actually locals, everyone is a transplant. (Today's news: Austin restaurants are not allowed to throw away old food)
- Cost of living much higher than I would have expected! Houses are not cheap. Less than CA however.
- Food tends to be expensive, and there are fewer "hole-in-the-wall" spots compared to CA
- Far less opportunity for outdoor activities compared t oCA. No mountains unless you drive for two days or fly.
- Far less beer, and the beer is not as good as CA. The best beer is imported from CA.

I LOVE BBQ!!! its my number one thing. why do people say austin not affordable? like you said compared to california its affordable. Im in LA county by the way borderline to the OC. what do you mean "added taxes" seems like traffic is the same as so cal?

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:46 pm

Wilderness Librarian wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:19 am
livesoft wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:40 am
Idaho is great, but in the context of winters in Iowa, you should know what I mean.
Several points related to this whole discussion.

I grew up in Idaho but have lived in several other states throughout my life. Retired and moved back. All of the places you mention have hot summers and some for extended periods of time. Yes Boise is very hot too and I would not care to live there for that reason. In addition Iowa has extremes - hot humid summers, cold windy winters nice but short falls, spring even shorter. I lived in Ames Iowa for 3 years as an adult and very recently Fairbanks Alaska for 18. I would take the winters in Fairbanks over Iowa without any hesitation whatever (the wind is a big factor). In my section of Idaho the winters are not harsh ( often freeze thaw snow and melt a few days latter) For my tastes they are actually too mild.

Not sure of your employment opportunities. Others can speak better to that. I doubt there is one significant metro area in the country that doesn't have major traffic problems. So pick your place and try to live as close to work as you can possibly afford. I did not try to follow your financial points. But as a general matter I think it is counterproductive to try to secure tax advantages of one sort or another. You should live where you can achieve a comfortable balance point between work and life style.
True just that california is VERY expensive and the price we are paying for rent is due to the down payment because rent in this are goes for 2200 plus there is no way i would be able to afford that and when I see houses in other states for a price of $175000 you get a good size home with a very good size lot.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:47 pm

goldensam wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:31 am
I live in Houston. I moved here for work without knowing much about it, and for the most part, I absolutely hate it here. The local economy is good, the food is awesome, and there is lots of diversity, which I like, but the traffic is a nightmare and the weather and mosquitos are so bad that I am unable to really go outside more than absolutely necessary for several months of the year. I know you say the weather isn't a big deal to you but you should know exactly how bad our summers are before you commit. Our high today is 89. With the heat and humidity, it says it currently feels like it is 96. At 11:30AM in October!

We are considering a move to Austin in the near future, but eventually will leave Texas altogether.
gotcha.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:47 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:43 am
goldensam wrote:
I live in Houston. .... Our high today is 89. With the heat and humidity, it says it currently feels like it is 96. At 11:30AM in October!
Yes, it is refreshingly cool today. That rain that moved through yesterday has really dropped the temps.
ive heard weather is unpredictable.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:48 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:
so..... do you recommend it?

yohac

Post by yohac » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:48 pm

nkotbbh wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:35 pm
umm.... why not? the town that starts with a D which one the one where the movie was filmed? or the one with a river behind it? why is it the worst choice?
I'm pretty sure he meant Dubuque, and I agree, compared to your other choices it's a bleak nowhere.

No one ever moves to Dyersville. It's a tiny little podunk town, just like a thousand others in Iowa, except for the Field of Dreams.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:51 pm

trueblueky wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:33 pm
treadingwater wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:13 am
Iowa has a 9% state income tax. Texas has none.
Iowa taxpayers can deduct their federal income tax from their income. So if your effective (not marginal) federal rate is 20%, you are paying Iowa on 80% of your income. This reduction in taxable income is a separate line available whether you itemize or take the standard deduction.

Because many taxpayers will have less federal income tax to deduct, the legislature lowered the top marginal rate to 8.53% beginning in 2019. If your federal effective rate is 20%, the Iowa marginal rate becomes .8.53(1 -.20) = 6.824% of otherwise taxable income.

The state funds much of K-12 education costs, which makes property taxes relatively low.
but texas is none. seems like they get you in property tax though.

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:54 pm

dcabler wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:43 pm
sunny_socal wrote:

Anyway.

Austin - the good
- It actually rains!
- No state tax

Austin - the not as good

Are you talking about Cal-Mex or real Mex? Haven't ventured into East Austin for Mexican food or Fonda San Miguel or Las Palomas for interior Mexican yet?
I grew up in southeast Louisiana. Austin is quite dry, compared to that humidity.
Yep on property taxes, but no income taxes. The man will get his money one way or another.
Traffic here is absolutely awful - glad I don't have to drive Mopac anymore for my current job. Traffic alone would make me think twice about moving here if I weren't already here. And there's a good chance it will be a reason to move elsewhere when retirement comes.

I'm not a local, but I got here as soon as I could get away from Louisiana (mid '80's)
Yes seems like property taxes are high but no income tax so its one or the other? and what do you mean "the man will get his money?"

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:55 pm

Texgal17 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:10 pm
sillysaver wrote:
nkotbbh wrote:
Totally agree!!! That’s why I left after I retired....
if you dont mind me asking where did you move to?

Topic Author
nkotbbh

Post by nkotbbh » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:57 pm

five2one wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:58 pm
Whatever you do, don't take your California politics with you to your new home.

There is nothing more infuriating than a transplant that complains about their new home or worse votes to make the new home like the old one.

There is a reason you are leaving and there are things that caused it.
Reflect on your condition and not just the what but the so what...2nd and 3rd order effects.
true and im not one to discuss politics because like you said obviously you are leaving for a new reason so dont bring it here.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:44 pm

nkotbbh wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:48 pm
Glockenspiel wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:
As far as recommending it, absolutely yes. I’d move back if my family was there. I grew up in Minnnesota. If you like the outdoors and can get into outdoor activities, even in cold weather, you’ll love it.

sillysaver

Post by sillysaver » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:24 pm

nkotbbh wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:27 pm
interesting you say that I have looked at zillow and it seems affordable? at least compared to califonia not to mention size of house/property.
I guess it's all relative. In central areas, one cannot find a 3BR/2BA for less than $600k, and prices go up from there. That is more than ten times the average household income in Austin, TX.

Suburbs are more affordable, but traffic is killer if you have to commute downtown.

Also, property taxes are very high and will add to the monthly payment.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:25 pm

I hear the potatoes in Idaho are pretty good.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Some of these home price comparisons seem suspect. You need to compare apples to apples. In Chicago, where I live, you can buy a house for $20k. That doesn't mean generally it is cheap/affordable because most people would not live in that kind of area (or house). You can spend $20k or $20 million. I would look at what similar homes cost in similar neighbors between the two cities if possible. If you include the suburbs, that changes things too. You can also look at the median home price. In San Diego it is $618k and in Austin it is $349k. So this $170k home being mentioned is less than 1/2 the median home price.

Goat1036

Post by Goat1036 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:04 pm

What about davenport / quad cities for ia? Dubuque is pretty small.

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:09 pm

yohac wrote:
nkotbbh wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:35 pm
I'm pretty sure he meant Dubuque, and I agree, compared to your other choices it's a bleak nowhere.

No one ever moves to Dyersville. It's a tiny little podunk town, just like a thousand others in Iowa, except for the Field of Dreams.
+1 all the way around

I meant Dubuque, but fully support the Dyersville comment as well. I apologize for not clarifying that, I did not realize Dyersville was in the original post. Dubuque is actually pretty in parts, and no where near what folks tend to think of when they think of Iowa. However, don't let the beauty of the river bluffs be the attracting quality.

I'd be happy to expound on it, but long story short be prepared for tight, close-knit circles, Catholicism, racism, winter and busch light. Coming from SoCal, just a hunch it wouldn't be your thing. HyVee is cool though, so there is that.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:24 am

nkotbbh wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:54 pm
and what do you mean "the man will get his money?"
"The man" is slang (in some groups, at least) for the government, in this case state and local govermnents. They need money in order to provide services. Different states use different combinations of various taxes and fees in order to raise that money.

Texas has no state income tax, and gets its money from property taxes and probably fees. I live in a different southern state that probably provides a similar level of services. Here we have a state income tax and rather low property taxes, especially for homeowners.
now I am in the Manufacturing Industry job title Machinist and have been doing it for a year now. Went through a 7 month schooling training program for Machinist.
Are you looking for jobs in specific kinds of industries? That might affect where you want to consider moving. If you move somewhere without having a job already lined up, I would think you'd want someplace with a good amount of that industry. For example, in South Carolina, near the cities along I-85 in the "upstate" (Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson), there are many automotive suppliers because of the big BMW plant in the area.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:13 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Austin - the not as good
I thought Tacodeli was great and even Torchy's was good. Certainly on par with hipster L.A. mex-fare like Kogi's.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:28 am

nkotbbh wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:54 pm
dcabler wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:43 pm
sunny_socal wrote:

Anyway.

Austin - the good
- It actually rains!
- No state tax

Austin - the not as good

Yes seems like property taxes are high but no income tax so its one or the other? and what do you mean "the man will get his money?"
"the man" being the gov't. Meaning property taxes are high because there is no income tax. Some places in the country have no sales tax, but they also have income tax and property tax. The revenue is still there, but it comes from different sources and is balanced differently among them.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:43 am

CFM300 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:13 am
sunny_socal wrote:
Austin - the not as good
I thought Tacodeli was great and even Torchy's was good. Certainly on par with hipster L.A. mex-fare like Kogi's.
Tacodeli is actually very good - they even have Carne Asada! I love their Habanero hot sauce :beer Haven't been to Torchy's after looking at their menu (seemed very tex-mex) but maybe I should give it a try.

sillysaver

Post by sillysaver » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:48 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Austin - the not as good
This and the comment about no hole-in-the-wall restaurants is probably from a tourist.

Plenty of authentic options are available but they are little neighborhood places, not in downtown Austin or South Congress, and not the popular chain (Chuy's). There is authentic interior Mexican as well as Salvadoran, Columbian, etc.

There are also tons of ethnic (Indian, Mediterranean, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Chinese) eateries in north Austin, along Lamar/Braker, 183/Spicewood and other neighborhoods where people live and work.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:49 am

Glockenspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:44 pm
nkotbbh wrote:
Glockenspiel wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:
As far as recommending it, absolutely yes. I’d move back if my family was there. I grew up in Minnnesota. If you like the outdoors and can get into outdoor activities, even in cold weather, you’ll love it.
If Fargo is in the consideration loop, then add Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Bigger than Fargo. Slightly better weather as it is farther south and their weather is influenced a bit more from the Rockies as compared to Fargo where cold air pours down from Canada. It was 25 this morning. Ouch for early October.

Sioux Falls is growing and has good employment opportunities.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:55 am

These threads never resolve anything. I've lived in many places and I was never the only person living there, so people like all the places I have lived. So where have I lived and visited extensively:

California, Texas, spitting distance to Iowa where I have siblings, various parts of North Carolina where I have siblings, Fargo where the temp was 104 deg F and the mosquitos were the size of horseflies when I was there, and further north than Fargo for a few years in an Idaho-like place where it was dark in the winter from 3 pm onwards, but the summers were glorious. And many other places not yet mentioned in this thread.

So all of these are good choices to actually try out. One can always move again if they don't like the place.

And I've lived in a place where I had to cook my own Mexican food from ingredients shipped to me by my sisters.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 am

livesoft wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:55 am
These threads never resolve anything. I've lived in many places and I was never the only person living there, so people like all the places I have lived. So where have I lived and visited extensively:

California, Texas, spitting distance to Iowa where I have siblings, various parts of North Carolina where I have siblings, Fargo where the temp was 104 deg F and the mosquitos were the size of horseflies when I was there, and further north than Fargo for a few years in an Idaho-like place where it was dark in the winter from 3 pm onwards, but the summers were glorious. And many other places not yet mentioned in this thread.

So all of these are good choices to actually try out. One can always move again if they don't like the place.

And I've lived in a place where I had to cook my own Mexican food from ingredients shipped to me by my sisters.
+1. OP is going to get nothing but anecdotes, which are essentially irrelevant because we all value different things. As someone originally from the same general area as OP (left at age 23), it would take a 7-figure a year salary and the ability to work remotely to consider moving back to California. Can't stand the place. Even when visiting (~2x/yr to see childhood friends and my one sibling still there), wife (also California native) and I want to come home within 24hrs. Lived for 5yrs in Houston, loved it and enjoyed the other Texas metro areas a lot too (Dallas was my least favorite, but still would live there). Have visited Iowa, Idaho, and NC as well; initial impressions are I'd move to all 3 before California. We're currently in Utah, probably for the long-haul and we like it, but the wife and I might be in Texas if we didn't have so much family here.

9to5er

Post by 9to5er » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:16 pm

regularguy455 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:49 pm
OP, I think you need to consider culture fit. I’ve seen folks move to Raleigh that loved it or hated it. Any of those cities will be VERY different than California.
Agree that if you can find your culture fit, you'll be happiest. I just saw this thread, and laughed as I live in Texas, have thought about Idaho (have spent some time in the summers there), and NC. (I have never considered Iowa). I have lived in the Houston, Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio areas and like they say, Texas is big so these cities vary in culture. Kind of like SoCal is worlds apart from northern California. (I lived in SoCal for 6+ years before moving back to Texas).

North Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth area) is more conservative than the other big Texas cities in my experience. For me that was a good thing and I really like the area. I personally like a bit more land around my house, so I'd consider Ft. Worth if I went back to that region. It's probably a bit more laid back than Dallas as well. Houston is more diverse, but agree with others that traffic (crazy drivers) is an issue. It may also be the reason people think of Texas as humid. Austin has grown so quickly the traffic is indeed it's biggest issue. Austin is the most liberal of the larger Texas cities, but if you consider yourself a hipster or foodie then you may love it. San Antonio is a very large city, but likes to tout the small city feel. Traffic can be bad too, but probably not as frustrating as the other cities mentioned. San Antonio has attractions for visitors (Riverwalk, Alamo, Sea World). The economy is good, but probably doesn't get the hype of the other large Texas cities as the overall education level isn't as high which results in fewer Megacorp businesses here. There are some big call centers here if your spouse wants to stay in that line of work.

I agree with a previous poster that I did not see much in the way of work opportunities in Idaho when I looked. Whenever I decide to leave San Antonio, I may still need to consider NC as well as DFW, unless its after retirement, where Idaho could be an option.

Gook luck in your quest.

white_water

Post by white_water » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:34 pm

You might want to read the local paper hard copy or on-line for a few months and not just for the help wanted and real estate ads.

Also www.city-data.com is worth checking. lots of numbers there to look at;

laughlinlvr

Post by laughlinlvr » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:52 pm

I lived and worked in Cary, NC for several years until relocating to eastern Idaho in 2015. Compared to SoCal (where my S-I-L lives) I would say NC has SoCal beat hands down in affordability of homes, culture (especially high culture), parking facilities and crime. Big downside is the humidity, which others have mentioned, the pine pollen and the bugs - which others have not. Employment prospects are second to none. I've worked in Texas. While LCOL was nice, I found it alienating and superficial. Felt lonely there. Crime and social problems are abundant there.
Now I'm in eastern Idaho I find myself living in paradise. Yellowstone, Craters of the Moon and Grand Tetons a tank away. Glacier, Black Hills and Utah's "Big 5" a day away. It's a LCOL area. Crime miniscule. Culture is okay. Lots of family orientated stuff to do - and lots of that is free. This is an area of religious observance (as is NC and TX - SoCal perhaps not so much). Eastern ID is in the LDS heartland. Boise is not.
Many posters mention the winters as though the ice storms in NC (which are untreated outside the big, affluent cities) don't exist. Your car can spin just as easily in NC as in IA. And is more likely to get hit with the huge traffic growth they've experienced in NC. One huge plus for ID is the lack of humidy and lack of flying insects. This makes outdoor life without equal IMHO. The only state with more wilderness is Alaska. I agree that you should not move to ID on spec. Have jobs lined up. Boise is definitiely a millenial city with a lively downtown resaurant/brew pub scene. (This is also true for Durham and no doubt other NC cities.)
One other thing you should be aware of in relocating to ID is that Californians are not welcome. Natives feel they are being squeezed out by rich Californians. A similar thing was true in NC where prejudice against northern transplants was rampant - until the locals were simply overhelmed!
Investing - The hardest way to make an easy living.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:04 pm

nkotbbh wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:47 pm
livesoft wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:43 am
goldensam wrote:
I live in Houston. .... Our high today is 89. With the heat and humidity, it says it currently feels like it is 96. At 11:30AM in October!
Yes, it is refreshingly cool today. That rain that moved through yesterday has really dropped the temps.
ive heard weather is unpredictable.
Not in Houston. If it's not January or February, the weather is hot and humid.

ladycat

Post by ladycat » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Definitely recommend getting accurate tax advice on the current home. Changing ownership may have a huge impact on property taxes. California reassesses tax base upon sale and you have a $260K increase in home value.