New Homeowners - Paint first or fix hard wood floors first?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Faisal

New Homeowners - Paint first or fix hard wood floors first?

Post by Faisal » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:20 pm

As the title says. We just bought a home and are looking to fix up some of the stuff to our liking. Now we going to paint all the rooms and fix the hardwood floors.

The question is what do we start off with first? Floors or painting?

TheAccountant

Re: New Homeowners - Paint first or fix hard wood floors first?

Post by TheAccountant » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:29 pm

What's worse, the floors or the walls?
Making cents out of every dollar.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:37 pm

Painting goes more quickly and is usually less disruptive than refinishing or replacing flooring.

I'd do the flooring first so you can start to get settled in.

A counterpoint could be drawn from the debt snowball - repainting can make the home feel nicer more quickly, giving you an easy victory before tackling the larger projects.

Either order has some risks to guard against - paint first and you may dent and scrape your just-refreshed walls with tools and materials while working on the floor. Do the floor first and you have to be extra careful about getting paint on the nice flooring. For this concern also I prefer doing the flooring first. Drop clothes are cheap and easy.

bradpevans

Post by bradpevans » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:40 pm

Faisal wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:20 pm
As the title says. We just bought a home and are looking to fix up some of the stuff to our liking. Now we going to paint all the rooms and fix the hardwood floors.

Do you have baseboard trim? you can do a nicer / easier job on the floor with that trim removed.
I'd go floors, walls. And lots of drop cloths ;)

Topic Author
Faisal

Post by Faisal » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:50 pm

Perfect thanks guys! Floors it is with a lot of drop cloths!

And neither are bad really. They just need to be "finished" so that we won't need to do it again for a 5 plus years.

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:58 pm

Sanding the floors makes a huge amount of dust, you don't want to get freshly painted walls covered in dust.

OTOH, sometimes when they stain and/or polyurethane (or whatever they use to seal) the floor, they can splatter onto the freshly painted walls.

I'd say, do the floors first.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:04 pm

Another vote for the floors so you don't have to take freshly painted trim off.

JPH

Post by JPH » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:09 pm

bradpevans wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:40 pm
Faisal wrote:

Do you have baseboard trim? you can do a nicer / easier job on the floor with that trim removed.
I'd go floors, walls. And lots of drop cloths ;)
I agree with this. Paint the baseboards while they are removed. After you nail them back into place, you will have just a small touchup to do on them. Are you painting the ceilings? For me, that makes a mess on floors no matter how many drop cloths.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Finishing hardwood floors creates a LOT of dust (from the wood) and it goes everywhere.

No expert - but I would do the floors first for this reason.

We'll See

Post by We'll See » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:10 pm

First, take the baseboards off. Second, refinish the floors. Third, lay many drop cloths. Fourth paint walls. Fifth, install baseboards and crown molding. Lastly, consider getting HVAC ducts cleaned and make sure to change the furnace filter.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:27 pm

No opinion on the order. But look for a "dustless" finisher. Makes a big difference

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:02 am

dm200 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:10 pm
Finishing hardwood floors creates a LOT of dust (from the wood) and it goes everywhere.

No expert - but I would do the floors first for this reason.
Agree, based on our experience; sanding hardwood creates a virtual dust storm no matter how much they try to isolate the rest of the house. The dust got in our basement and upstairs when three first floor rooms were sanded. Also, note that fresh poly on the new floors takes quite a bit of time before you should put rugs over it or set heavy furniture on it, maybe a week or so. Perhaps paint the ceiling first, then do the floors, then the walls last. We lived in our upstairs bedroom with a coffee pot and a microwave for over a week before putting the furniture back downstairs. Luckily, we had a couple of rooms on the first floor that did not get new hardwood that we could store the furniture in while the poly dried and set up.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

Topic Author
Faisal

Post by Faisal » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:14 am

Thank you all. Much appreciated. I guess after sanding and painting maybe hire a good maid service to clean up the home?

MangoMama

Post by MangoMama » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:31 am

We took a slightly different approach......whole house got painted inside, then all the floors were sanded/refinished. Thinking at the time was that there would be less dust on the walls if painting first. And if there were any spilled paint, nicks, or marks that they would be fixed when the floors were redone. We didn't necessarily want the painters walking around, moving ladders, or pouring paint on new floors. Ram board is pricey but does a great job of protecting floors. Used it for all our projects when we knew people would be in and out of the house.

Either way there will be a lot of dust. We put blue tape over the registers and returns during refinishing, but we all the ducts professionally cleaned to remove any dust. Money well spent! Also changed furnace filter once all the work was complete.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:58 am

Faisal wrote:

As someone who does this as a hobby, I always do the floors last. When you are working on walls and ceilings, it is much easier when you aren't forever spending hours protecting your new floors first just to move a simple ladder around or touching up paint. If you are fixing up a space by moving/removing/adding a wall, you aren't having to worry about fixing the flooring. With just about any project, I'm am constantly going outside in all kinds of weather to clean brushes, get some tool, etc and I don't have to worry about tracking a mess back in with a floor that is going to be refinished anyway. If you mess up and do drop a splotch of paint on the floor, you have no worries because you still have to sand it anyway. With a completed floor, you are trying to scrape it off without marring the surface or replacing that piece.

Many mention the dust control as the reason they would do floors first. Working on drywall is perhaps the most dusty job in the house. Besides, dust is easily controlled. I get a coupe zip poles and a sheet of plastic to block off the entryway into a room and stick a box fan in the window. Make sure to close any vents. You can even get stick on zippers so you can access the room without having to mess with the poles or sheet of plastic.

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Standard/ideal sequence is to put in hardwood floor with 2 coats of lacquer on it (due to guranteed sawdust storm during the job), then do the painting, then buffing out scratches and 3rd coat on hardwood.

If using prefinished hardwood, then do painting first.