Tipping

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Amandarose

Tipping

Post by Amandarose » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:49 am

I've started getting my nails done by someone I found on yelp. She does nails at her home. The 2 times that I've gotten my nails done with her, I have tipped a little more than 20% because she does a great job. My boyfriend told me that I shouldn't be tipping her because she is the owner, but I disagree. Do you think I should tip her or no longer tip? Please explain your answer, thank you.

tennisplyr

Re: Tipping

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:56 pm

Old school rule is you don't tip the owner but if you feel like it, give her 10-15%. Check this out:

https://bizfluent.com/12081171/etiquett ... ess-owners
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:47 pm

The article above talks about not tipping an owner but rather focus on the employee giving the service. This is where the etiquette rule came from. In your case- the owner is also the employee giving the service. You should tip.
Maybe in your case you can think of the owner as the bank the mortgage is paid to. Don't tip them - but tip the person servicing you.

westie

Post by westie » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:47 am

I tip 20% unless the minimum wage is $15 an hour. Then I tip nothing.

daheld

Post by daheld » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:54 am

I suspect this is not the proper forum if you're looking for people to support your opinion of willingly giving your money to someone else who performs a service for you.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:57 am

My wife gives in home piano lessons to beginner children. She travels to your house and for $25 she teaches for 30 minutes. She never gets tipped.

squirm

Post by squirm » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:03 am

Yes tip.

Wabbit

Post by Wabbit » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:16 am

Do whatever feels right to you. Our tipping culture is honestly bizarre and inconsistent. For example, outside the airport, many people tip the curbside baggage handlers. Inside the airport many people don't tip the airline baggage handlers for doing the same job.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:23 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:57 am
My wife gives in home piano lessons to beginner children. She travels to your house and for $25 she teaches for 30 minutes. She never gets tipped.
Yeha, I never tipped any of my teachers either :twisted:

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:26 am

The only certainty about asking a tipping question on this forum is that you will get every conceivable answer in return.

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:31 am

daheld wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:54 am
I suspect this is not the proper forum if you're looking for people to support your opinion of willingly giving your money to someone else who performs a service for you.
I like your response. The tipping topic is so tiresome. It depends...

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:36 am

tipping is getting out of control. My dad said when he was young, the tip was 7%, then as he got older it was 10% for a long time. Now more recently somehow it got up to 15% and now it seems people are saying 20% and now people are forgetting you tip on PRE TAX amount not on the total bill. And The whole a waiter/waitress only makes 2.50 an hour speech is tired, just because their employer doesn't pay them minimum wage doesn't mean I have to make up for it.

Also a tip is supposed to be for exceptional service or going above and beyond, not just for doing what is expected. Usually my rule is depending on cost of the meal, I tip based on how many times they come back to the table and offer to refill my soda.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:57 am

Have never tipped outside of a restaurant oriented business.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:13 am

Wabbit wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:16 am
Do whatever feels right to you. Our tipping culture is honestly bizarre and inconsistent. For example, outside the airport, many people tip the curbside baggage handlers. Inside the airport many people don't tip the airline baggage handlers for doing the same job.
I once heard that "TIP" meant "to insure promptness." That's why I tip the curb-side baggage checkers.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:14 am

If you receive great service and would like to tip, feel free to tip.

bligh

Post by bligh » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:26 am

I would tip the owner of the business (if s/he was the one providing me with the service), especially if I am trying to establish a relationship.

I personally dislike the tipping culture too, but it is what it is. Since I know tips are expected, I tip generously and mentally just account for that cost in my expenses. For example, I just consider it a ~20% service tax when I eat at a restaurant. Can't afford that? I dont eat out.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:11 am

RudyS wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:13 am
I once heard that "TIP" meant "to insure promptness."
If so, we should call it a "TEP", because you're trying to ensure promptness, not insure it.
Stay on target...

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:25 am

- Nail salons: not an issue (I bite my nails :oops: )
- Hair: a couple bucks
- Sit-down restaurants: I double the tax
- Stand-up ordering at restaurant: No tip
- Hotel staff: a few dollars, $5 if I don't have smaller change
- Valet: never ever use it!
- Construction crews: $20 per worker
- Movers: $20 per worker

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:59 am

I think your tipping policy is reasonable. If the "owner of the business" did not want the tip she wouldn't accept it. And once you started, it would be awkward to stop. I am thankful to be able to tip for services I receive and happy for the good-will it usually engenders (and on the practical level, for the reciprocity that it also usually engenders).

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:59 am

RudyS wrote:
I once heard that "TIP" meant "to insure promptness." That's why I tip the curb-side baggage checkers.
What you heard is a case of false etymology. No basis in fact.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:02 pm

RudyS wrote:
Wabbit wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:16 am
I always heard you tip them if you want your bag to make it on the flight. Not sure if it was true. Of course, after 9/11 I haven't seen much curbside baggage checking.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:07 pm

Yes, I would tip her. I've been to small restaurants where the owner was the chef and served the food. Not tipping them because they are the owner would be awkward and odd in my opinion. I believe you tip depending on the role/service performed and not if they own the business or not.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:10 pm

Better question. Is she licensed to do the work that she's doing in her home? Are you paying her in cash enabling her to not declare the income to the IRS? Does she have insurance in case you get an infection from unclean instruments.

Oh, to answer the question, do whatever you want to do. But keep in mind you already gave her 20% several times, she's going to not be thrilled with no tip. :wink:

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:26 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:02 pm
RudyS wrote:
I always heard you tip them if you want your bag to make it on the flight. Not sure if it was true. Of course, after 9/11 I haven't seen much curbside baggage checking.
That was the advantage of the skycap system. They'd take your luggage right as you were dropped off so you didn't have to carry it through the airport. The people at the check-in counter don't.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

PVW

Post by PVW » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:37 pm

I get my hair cut by a personal friend in her home. She works as an employee in a salon but also has a professional setup in her home. She said she goes by the old rule of don't tip the owner, so I don't tip her.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:43 pm

I recently had my hair cut and high-lighted by a new person. He made it clear he owned his own business, yet he was renting space in someone else's salon. The bill came to way more than I thought it would ($275!) due to the addition of a procedure I hadn't anticipated. At the end, he presented me with one of those square card machine things. The first screen had the little buttons to push for the different percentages for tips. The worker stood over me while I made my selection. It was so awkward. I ended up tipping him $50, which was a little less than 20%.

In my opinion, he wasn't worth anywhere near what I paid. I decided that due to the awkwardness of it (the pressure to select a tip for a business owner while he stood over me), I won't be going back. It was very uncomfortable.

Too bad for him that while he may have made more money up front, he lost money going forward since I won't be going back.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:57 pm

Washington DC approved a public referendum issue raising the minimum wage for restaurant, etc. workers to $15 per hour. The city council is evaluating overriding that . A great many workers have opposed the minimum wage increase because these workers do very, very well on tips - and are concerned that their tip income will go down.

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:02 pm

RollTide31457 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:57 am
Do you cut your own hair, or not have hair?
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:03 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:57 pm
Washington DC approved a public referendum issue raising the minimum wage for restaurant, etc. workers to $15 per hour. The city council is evaluating overriding that . A great many workers have opposed the minimum wage increase because these workers do very, very well on tips - and are concerned that their tip income will go down.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc ... fc9167dfd4

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:52 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:59 am
RudyS wrote:
What you heard is a case of false etymology. No basis in fact.
False etymology or urban legend, it predates the internet for sure. Lots of details here: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tip-sheet/

JupiterJones also pointed out that in the context I used, ensure is better than ensure.

hightower

Post by hightower » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:08 pm

Tipping has it's roots in slavery. It's an American thing, born out of the post-civil war south, that isn't the norm outside of the US. I learned about the history of tipping when I first started traveling in Europe and was curious as to why it's not normal to tip over there. It's unfair to certain workers and especially women in certain industries. It's something that needs to go away IMO. People deserve a fair wage and shouldn't have to rely on tips. That doesn't mean you can't tip if you'd like to. But forcing someone to rely on tips leaves them open to abuse and unfair pay for their hard work.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:10 pm

hightower wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:08 pm
Tipping has it's roots in slavery. It's an American thing, born out of the post-civil war south, that isn't the norm outside of the US. I learned about the history of tipping when I first started traveling in Europe and was curious as to why it's not normal to tip over there. It's unfair to certain workers and especially women in certain industries. It's something that needs to go away IMO. People deserve a fair wage and shouldn't have to rely on tips. That doesn't mean you can't tip if you'd like to. But forcing someone to rely on tips leaves them open to abuse and unfair pay for their hard work.
Then again, as is the case in Washington DC - some of the most vocal opponents of raising their minimum wages are those who do very well on TIPS.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:18 pm

Why are people here against tips but then is accepted that charitable giving is ok?
To me charity makes absolutely no sense. I don't like tipping but at least I can understand the reason behind it... (well, not really but at least it makes some sense).

hightower

Post by hightower » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:24 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:10 pm
hightower wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:08 pm
Then again, as is the case in Washington DC - some of the most vocal opponents of raising their minimum wages are those who do very well on TIPS.
Sure some can do well with tipping in certain jobs, but many do not do well at all. Many times people do far worse than minimum wage when they rely on tips. I remember when my wife was a waitress briefly after college how some nights she would come home crying because of how people would treat her poorly then not even bother tipping at all. She would then only get paid like $2-3/hr for a whole night of work. Luckily for us that job was just a temporary thing she was doing to earn extra money and she quit as soon as that started happening. But, imagine if you're someone who's only employment option is to waitress in a job like that. It's absurd that we let that happen to people. That's not fair and we, as a wealthy society, can do better than that IMO.
I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think I remember reading that when you adjust for inflation, the federal minimum tipped wage is lower now than it was like 60-70 years ago or something like that.

hightower

Post by hightower » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Starfish wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:18 pm
Why are people here against tips but then is accepted that charitable giving is ok?
To me charity makes absolutely no sense. I don't like tipping but at least I can understand the reason behind it... (well, not really but at least it makes some sense).
I'm not against tipping as a way to show gratitude or whatever, I'm just against it being part of a person's salary. They should be paid fairly for their work first, then tips should be considered extra.
Charitable giving is a totally different topic in my opinion. I give money to the national park foundation every year because I want future generations of people to be able to enjoy our national parks the same way I did. It's about putting your money to work for a cause you care about. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:39 pm

hightower wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:32 pm
Starfish wrote:
I'm not against tipping as a way to show gratitude or whatever, I'm just against it being part of a person's salary. They should be paid fairly for their work first, then tips should be considered extra.
Charitable giving is a totally different topic in my opinion. I give money to the national park foundation every year because I want future generations of people to be able to enjoy our national parks the same way I did. It's about putting your money to work for a cause you care about. Makes a lot of sense to me.
I love national parks but no way I giving them money.
I pay a ticket or the annular pass, and I pay plenty of taxes.
Of course by the same logic the service price should included in the meal at a restautrnat, because this is why I pay 30$ for a dish. But it is not. Why is this considered ok, no idea.
BTW is proven that as expected tipping is racist, sexist and ageist. Because when you remove the political correctness people are who they are. For these reasons it will probably become illegel sooner or later.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:16 pm

I would try to casually bring it up in conversation while you are getting your nails done. I have also read that you don't tip the owner, but more than one kind of made it clear to me that tips were expected.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:27 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Your comparing apples to oranges (A job were tipping is typical versus one where it is not).

I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't get a holiday-gift though.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:27 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Your comparing apples to oranges (A job were tipping is typical versus one where it is not).

I’m just saying if I were going to someone’s house (or them coming to me) and they were a sole proprietor I would not tip them. They set the price and the price should be the price. There are LOTS of jobs I’ve seen people saying on this website should be tipped but I never did so. Perhaps I’m cheap or perhaps those people are suckers.

J295

Post by J295 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:05 pm

If you can afford the service, then tip. If it stretches you to pay for the service , do the nails yourself.

It’s customary to pay a tip for someone doing your nails. Calling them the owner to not tip is rationalizing not following the social custom. You certainly don’t have to tip, just recognize that if you don’t you are not following the expected custom.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:36 pm

Is it possible s/he isn't paying taxes? Then s/he's getting a double whammy with the tip and also not paying the tax percentage.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:38 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 pm
GoldStar wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:27 pm
Jags4186 wrote:

I’m just saying if I were going to someone’s house (or them coming to me) and they were a sole proprietor I would not tip them. They set the price and the price should be the price. There are LOTS of jobs I’ve seen people saying on this website should be tipped but I never did so. Perhaps I’m cheap or perhaps those people are suckers.
But if the customary price is $20 with a average tip of $5 then this "owner" may be charging $20 (but still expecting that $5 tip). If this owner starts bundling in the $5 tip by rising the price to $25 they may lose all their clientele to the competition that keeps the customary pricing and tipping model.
The $25/30-minute music teacher pricing may be customary without a tip.
I enjoy traveling to countries in Europe where I don't have to worry about tipping as well - but the customs here are what they are.

leeks

Post by leeks » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:48 pm

I would always tip 10-20% for someone who did nails/hair/similar services, with no concern about whether or not they are an "owner." But more importantly, as others pointed out above, you have set a precedent of tipping this person so if you didn't in the future it would seem like you were dissatisfied with the service.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:39 am

buccimane wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:02 pm
RollTide31457 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:57 am
Do you cut your own hair, or not have hair?
Usually a mullet or mohawk.

clockman323

Post by clockman323 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:44 pm

I base my tip on the size of the restaurant. A small place where we are practically the only customers will get 25-30%. A busy place where it looks like one waitress is covering 10 or more tables an hour might only get 10%.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:14 pm

Starfish wrote:
Although not against tipping, I think the difference between tipping and charitable giving is the expectation on the recipients part. When I give to charity, there is no expectation whatsoever that they are receiving anything until they get it. Earlier this spring I went into a restaurant and received horrible service and left no tip when I signed my credit card receipt. The waitress later helped herself to a 40% tip which I eventually got refunded by the credit card company. She obvious expected a tip and got mad when she didn't get one. Another example are restaurants that add mandatory tipping for parties larger than X number or display default tip selections on their computer screens when you are paying. In both cases, they are expecting tips.
Last edited by lthenderson on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

z91

Post by z91 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:14 pm

Is this our weekly tipping thread?

I can't wait until the day places stop expecting tips for doing work. My co-workers never slip cash to me when I do great jobs, I usually just get a "thank you"

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:57 pm

hightower wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:24 pm
Sure some can do well with tipping in certain jobs, but many do not do well at all. Many times people do far worse than minimum wage when they rely on tips. I remember when my wife was a waitress briefly after college how some nights she would come home crying because of how people would treat her poorly then not even bother tipping at all. She would then only get paid like $2-3/hr for a whole night of work.
To be clear, though this does happen, it is completely illegal under the FLSA, and employers are regularly issued huge fines for doing so. Restaurant employees' actual pay must be at least the minimum wage, full stop. When their base wage (which by itself may be below minimum wage) plus actual tips are below the minimum wage, the employer is required by law to make up the difference.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:01 pm

z91 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:14 pm
Is this our weekly tipping thread?

I can't wait until the day places stop expecting tips for doing work. My co-workers never slip cash to me when I do great jobs, I usually just get a "thank you"
I would love to leave a tip jar in my office and anytime I get a request that is due same day or urgent, I can just point to the tip jar....

You get a "Thank you" I don't even get those...

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:05 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:57 pm
hightower wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:24 pm
Sure some can do well with tipping in certain jobs, but many do not do well at all. Many times people do far worse than minimum wage when they rely on tips. I remember when my wife was a waitress briefly after college how some nights she would come home crying because of how people would treat her poorly then not even bother tipping at all. She would then only get paid like $2-3/hr for a whole night of work.
To be clear, though this does happen, it is completely illegal under the FLSA, and employers are regularly issued huge fines for doing so. Restaurant employees' actual pay must be at least the minimum wage, full stop. When their base wage (which by itself may be below minimum wage) plus actual tips are below the minimum wage, the employer is required by law to make up the difference.
What is the "period" for the requirement? is it one shift OR the average per week or payday?