Solar LED Lanterns/Luci Lights or Similar?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Barefootgirl

Solar LED Lanterns/Luci Lights or Similar?

Post by Barefootgirl » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:19 am

My brother and I are working inside an older barn on family property to clear out some old trunks of family records/heirlooms etc.

There is no electricity available and it's rather dark in there even on a sunny day.

I notice the RV crowd uses some Solar LED lanterns called Luci Lights, so I might try picking up a few of those.

Any other suggestions for this type of usage? thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Timoneer

Re: Solar LED Lanterns/Luci Lights or Similar?

Post by Timoneer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:57 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:19 am
My brother and I are working inside an older barn on family property to clear out some old trunks of family records/heirlooms etc.

There is no electricity available and it's rather dark in there even on a sunny day.

I notice the RV crowd uses some Solar LED lanterns called Luci Lights, so I might try picking up a few of those.
I think you would be disappointed with these solar lanterns. They may be adequate for sitting around a campsite after your eyes get adjusted to the darkness. The specs say 150 lumens on the high setting. That is about the same light as from a small 10 watt incandescent bulb.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:08 pm

for just a bit more than the Luci light ( which really aren’t powerful at all, just enough to see around campsite) I’d go to Harbor Freight and get their 36 LED solar light...it’s more light and reasonably reliable (for about three to four hours, any more then depending upon how much light it had to charge)

currently there for $16.99 each {item # 60498 and 69644}

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:38 am

Barefootgirl wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:19 am

Any other suggestions for this type of usage? thanks
Those Luci lights are good for ambiance but not much else. You'll be much happier with a bright headlamp like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Coast-FL70-405-F ... +headlamps

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:42 am

I have an old Rayovac lantern that has two florescent tubes and runs on 4 (6? I'm too lazy to go look) D batteries and lasts for several nights of multiday power failures. It provides plenty of light. I'd get one for each of you if something like that can still be found.