New Laptop setup questions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
GrowthSeeker

New Laptop setup questions

Post by GrowthSeeker » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi all.
Laptop died, so I now have a new one, Windows 10 pro, removed old SSD and got docking unit so I have all my files transferred at 5 Gig/min instead of slow downloading from my cloud backup.

1) which browser to use: Edge vs my old pal Firefox?
2) which ad blocker? Seems like if I use Edge and go with Adblock, I have to use Windows Hello to login.
3) why should I use “Hello” if I don’t want to use biometrics.
4) What about Word and Excel (which version to get)? I don’t want to keep most of these files in the cloud. Get PC version for $150 one time fee; vs 365 for $70/year; vs 365 for 5 users for $100/year so I could also have it on my iPhone 6 (and I might get a second laptop in a year or so)
5) Security: thinking Windows Defender plus Makewarebytes. Maybe CCleaner.
Thoughts?
(and thanks in advance)
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

fortfun

Re: New Laptop setup questions

Post by fortfun » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:51 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:45 pm
Hi all.
Laptop died, so I now have a new one, Windows 10 pro, removed old SSD and got docking unit so I have all my files transferred at 5 Gig/min instead of slow downloading from my cloud backup.

2) which ad blocker? Seems like if I use Edge and go with Adblock, I have to use Windows Hello to login.
4) What about Word and Excel (which version to get)? I don’t want to keep most of these files in the cloud. Get PC version for $150 one time fee; vs 365 for $70/year; vs 365 for 5 users for $100/year so I could also have it on my iPhone 6 (and I might get a second laptop in a year or so)
Thoughts?
(and thanks in advance)
Why not Chrome and Google Spreadsheets. Google Spreadsheets can do nearly everything that Excel can do, and even a few things it can't.

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:06 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Hi all.

Thoughts?
(and thanks in advance)
My opinion on your specific questions.
1) I don't care for Edge, so I would choose Firefox.
2) I have used Adblock and think it is fine.
3) Haven't used Hello so no opinion.
4) Office 365 is a much better deal in my opinion than the one time purchase, and it is even more of a deal if you are thinking you will be using it on multiple devices.
5) Those are fine.
"My idea of rich is ordering the most expensive thing at Denny's"

Momus

Post by Momus » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:16 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Hi all.

Thoughts?
(and thanks in advance)
1. Chrome
2. Adblock
3. You shouldn't use anything you don't want to
4. Office Libre
5. Avast or 360 total security

Don't pay for anything. Profit!!!

onourway

Post by onourway » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:12 am

1. Edge is great for battery life and smooth scrolling, but it’s still extremely unreliable. It crashes frequently with no way to restore your session, and it’s still incompatible (often in ways that are frustratingly difficult to detect) with many websites. I would choose Firefox over Chrome. It’s far better on battery life, scrolls smoother, and most importantly, they are serious about privacy. You probably use Google services enough already. Avoiding Chrome at least puts a bit of a barrier between you and their data collection.

4. There is a convenience to using Office 365 and being able to install on multiple devices. You also get a good deal of OneDrive storage space included. That said, it’s undoubtedly more expensive than a one-time purchase that you use for 5 years or so.

5. I would use Windows Defender, an ad-blocker for web browsing, and common sense. Most anti-virus is ineffective, has a significant impact on the overall system, and in many cases, is little different than paying the mafia for protection.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:25 am

1) Firefox or Chrome
2) No question: uBlock Origin
3) You don't have to use Hello if you don't want to.
4) Office365 subscription is a great value, and will continue to have dramatically more features than the perpetual licensed version as time goes on. Perpetual also went up by $100 last week with the launch of Office 2019--which, feature-wise, is roughly equivalent to O365 from early this year with all the online functionality stripped out.
5) You're fine here. Windows Defender is free, works as well as most of the aftermarket AV, and doesn't slow your machine down. Malwarebytes and CCleaner are both good products and there's no problem with using them, I just haven't seen the need the past few years.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:42 am

Before you buy Excel and Word consider trying the free LibreOffice opens source program.

https://www.libreoffice.org/

I don't do a lot of real fancy things in Office so it works fine for me. It can open and save files in Excel and Word formats.

If you are going to buy a version of Office check to see if you can get an education discount if you have kids in school. Some large companies also have a licence that allows employees to install Office on their personal PC but I am not sure how common that is now.

onourway

Post by onourway » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:48 am

Good point. ^^ It's not even large companies anymore. If your employer or school of any size provides you with an Office subscription, you are likely entitled to use it at home under the same license.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:04 am

I agree on the various settings. There are a lot that need to be changed from the barebones OS installation. What I typically do after I have a bare system "tuned" but before I install software is to take an image of the machine. That way, if I want to do a "fresh install" I can re-install a pre-tuned system. I use Macrium Reflect to take the images.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:57 pm

Momus wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:16 pm
Office Libre
Watty wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:42 am
Before you buy Excel and Word consider trying the free LibreOffice opens source program.

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:25 am
fortfun wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:51 pm
Why not Chrome and Google Spreadsheets. Google Spreadsheets can do nearly everything that Excel can do, and even a few things it can't.
Thank you, guys.
I went ahead and downloaded Firefox, Ublock Origin and LibreOffice.
I'll probably add Chrome also, I always had it available before.

One thing I'm a little unclear on with Google Sheets: can you create and use local spreadsheet files without being signed into Google and without having a copy of the file in the cloud?

re LibreOffice: I think over 10 years ago I checked out Open Office, but found it lacking and I think I was not that aware that LibreOffice was being a distinct entity by a different company.

Password Protection of Files:
I keep a few word processor and spreadsheet files password protected, and LibreOffice seems to support this.
Curious as to what others do regarding password protection of sensitive files:
I heard years ago that MS Office password protection was pretty weak protection and easy to defeat (don't know if that was true back then or now).
Last time I researched password protection of individual files I did not find a free or very low cost and easy solution. Back in the old DOS days, there was a free utility (was it cipher.exe or is that something more recent?) that worked and I assumed it was secure but who knows?
---
edit: I have Win 10 Pro, so I guess I have Bitlocker though not sure about its features
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:08 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:57 pm
Momus wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:16 pm
Office Libre
Watty wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:42 am

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:25 am
fortfun wrote:
Thank you, guys.
I went ahead and downloaded Firefox, Ublock Origin and LibreOffice.
I'll probably add Chrome also, I always had it available before.

One thing I'm a little unclear on with Google Sheets: can you create and use local spreadsheet files without being signed into Google and without having a copy of the file in the cloud?

re LibreOffice: I think over 10 years ago I checked out Open Office, but found it lacking and I think I was not that aware that LibreOffice was being a distinct entity by a different company.

I keep a few word processor and spreadsheet files password protected, and LibreOffice seems to support this.
I heard years ago that MS Office password protection was pretty weak protection and easy to defeat (don't know if that was true back then or now).
Last time I researched password protection of individual files I did not find a free or very low cost and easy solution. Back in the old DOS days, there was a free utility (was it cipher.exe or is that something more recent?) that worked and I assumed it was secure but who knows?
---
edit: I have Win 10 Pro, so I guess I have Bitlocker though not sure about its features
Yes, you can run the entire Google Suite offline. I believe you just need to download the app from the Chrome store. It will automatically sync when you are connected to wifi again. I suppose you could run it/keep it completely offline, if you wanted.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:55 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Password protection of the old binary office files (.doc, .xls, etc) was indeed very weak, and could be easily stripped using a number of free utilities. On the newer XML-based formats (.docx, .xlsx, etc), documents are encrypted quite strongly when password protected.

Matt62

Post by Matt62 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:29 pm

Congrats on your new Windows machine.

I use both Edge and Chrome. Love Edges reading view. Have seen comments that it crashes but it has never crashed on me.
If you subscribe to Windows 10 updates you don't need additional security software.
Office 365 over Google docs. I don't trust Google.

Just my 2 cents

-M

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:38 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Hi all.

Thoughts?
(and thanks in advance)
- Firefox or chrome
- ublock origin
- you don't have to
- libreoffice or Google docs
- defender + Malwarebytes is fine. No reason for cccleaner anymore.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:08 pm

fortfun wrote:
Or, if the OP didn’t want to use a cloud solution, they might try LibreOffice.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:40 pm

I do my taxes and other financial records in Excel, and I would never use cloud-based spreadsheets for that. I need access to my financial files if my computer becomes disconnected for whatever reasons. I cannot depend on the cloud provider for the security or reliability. And I don't want to deal with spreadsheets that are less reliable than Excel.

$150 for a Windows Office 2016 is not too much, in my opinion. Newegg.com is now selling Office 2016 Home and Student for $130.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:58 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Hi all.

I use Firefox. No problems. I was using Chrome, but FF just "feels" nicer to me.
I use uBlock Origin. Works without any issues. Unobtrusive.
Never used it.
MS Office 365. Great apps. The subscription is a bargain considering the amount of OneDrive space you get with it.
Windows Defender plus Makewarebytes is all I find necessary. I don't use CCleaner. There have been reports of problems with it. In any case I don't want anyone but Microsoft messing with my Windows registry and other internals.
Thoughts?
(and thanks in advance)
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:53 pm

Google office >>> libreoffice for my use. If you have complex spreadsheets,powerpoints, may not be the case for you, but gdocs is really powerful, easy to use, and robust.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:19 am

I'd recommend against using Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer unless it's a work computer that requires it. I'm a huge Firefox fan and choose it over Chrome for privacy reasons. Chrome has gobbled up "market share," but I love Firefox. They started adding the "Quantum" engine in version 57, and it keeps getting better and faster and uses less memory, so a lot of the people that left Firefox for Chrome should consider coming back. :beer

If you have to use an AdBlocker, the top recommendation for performance reasons and low memory usage is uBlock Origin. I don't use an ad-blocker for ethical reasons (I whitelist sites that I respect/visit so that they get ad revenue.) I find that Firefox's built-in "Tracking Protection" automatically blocks lots of ads anyways. I also use:

* HTTPS Everywhere -- this forces connections to HTTPS and is pretty much "set it and forget it." I've contributed a tiny bit to this project, too. Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is a great non-profit dedicated to privacy and Internet freedom.
* Privacy Badger -- another project by the EFF, this uses heuristics to block trackers. Most ads are trackers, so this is enough of an "ad blocker" without having to install uBlock Origin anyways.
* Privacy Settings -- I like this add-on because it offers a "1-click" button that improves the privacy of your browser without having to manually set many of them. Fairly user friendly for beginners.
* Cookie AutoDelete -- this automatically deletes cookies (you have to set it up and specify the time period, I use 60 seconds) when you close a tab. So if you browse in many tabs with each website on a different tab, you can "nuke" a website's cookies once that tab is closed and 60 seconds have passed.

Recommend not using Windows Hello. Also recommend not tying your Windows 10 account to an Outlook.com/Live/Hotmail e-mail address -- you can use "local" accounts for Windows that only exist on your computer.

If you are employed with a company that uses Microsoft Office, see if you qualify for the Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP). You can get Office for $9.95.

I have no opinion between the perpetual one-time Office license or the Office 365 purchase. I personally hate how most companies are going to a subscription model, but maybe weigh the pros/cons.

Windows Defender is "good enough" and free, as long as you learn and follow best practices. "Security is a process, not a tool." Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free is a very good on-demand scanner for weekly or monthly scans (or whatever). Piriform CCleaner has had a few bumps in the road (malware incident last year or the year before, and known for bundling Google Chrome). Avast bought Piriform so now owns the CCleaner product. I personally use CCleaner free, but I turn off most of the privacy settings and auto-update settings.

Windows 10 has basic ransomware protection too and "Controlled Folder Access" if you want to experiment with that. It basically locks down your Pictures, Documents, Videos, etc. folders and only allows apps that you manually whitelist.

Anti-exploit protection has been incorporated into Windows 10 within the past year, but it's pretty technical, tedious, and still needs lots of improvement. I miss the old Microsoft EMET, which they just discontinued in July 2018 or so.

I recommend Full Disk Encryption (FDE) with a strong password (that you don't forget!). I personally use Veracrypt, but it's somewhat clunky with Windows 10/UEFI/GPT setups and doesn't support Secure Boot without some tweaks. Since you have Windows 10 Pro, Bitlocker isn't a bad choice at all. I would also disable Sleep. [Note on Bitlocker: Print out the "Recovery Key" and store in your safe or safe deposit box or store it encrypted somewhere on a different machine. This is vitally important if you forget your password.]

To help reduce lots of Windows 10 telemetry and spying, look into Spybot Anti-Beacon. It offers a "set it and forget it" approach to disabling lots of the privacy-invasive things, and it can be set to re-immunize every time your computer boots. I believe it's still a free product, but it looks like they now offer a paid version with more bells and whistles.

Also, one of the best things you can do for security on any computer system is to have separate Administrator and Standard user accounts. When you first set up Windows, the first account you make will have Administrator rights, and you should rarely need to log into this directly. I would immediately create a second "Standard User" account and use that one for all day-to-day use. If you have to install software or make system changes, I would still use your Standard account but User Account Control (UAC) will prompt you to enter your Admin password to make changes every time. It's worth the inconvenience.

By separating your Admin and Standard accounts and only using your Standard account every day, it makes it more difficult for viruses/malware/hackers to do as much damage to your computer, since they typically will only be as powerful as the currently logged in account, so if you're logged in as Standard, it requires more skillset and work to gain Admin privileges.
Last edited by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon on Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:36 am

GrowthSeeker wrote:
The encryption security improves with each new version of Office. I currently use 2016, and it seems pretty secure and much better than 2007, 2010. I believe it uses either AES-256-CBC or AES-128-CBC but double-check me on that. Of course, this also requires that you use a strong password, since cracking programs definitely exist for all versions of Office.

Beyond the built-in Microsoft Office encryption for each file, there's still a lot of products out there. Veracrypt allows the creation of containers that you can put files into, but it doesn't support file-based encryption. GPG4Win uses asymmetric encryption and can be used to encrypt individual files, but I'm a beginner in that area. There's lots of commercial products out there, but quite frankly I don't trust any of them so I steer clear. You can also use a compression program like 7-Zip to create an encrypted (password-protected) Zip or 7z file and throw in whatever files inside it that you want to protect.
GrowthSeeker wrote:
Bitlocker's fine, and I recommend using the PIN + TPM option, or at least the PIN option. That way when your computer boots, it requires a PIN (password) before it unlocks the hard drive and Windows boots. Without it, it defaults to just using the TPM chip on the computer, which means anyone who steals your computer can still get in.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:39 am

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:36 am
Bitlocker's fine, and I recommend using the PIN + TPM option, or at least the PIN option. That way when your computer boots, it requires a PIN (password) before it unlocks the hard drive and Windows boots. Without it, it defaults to just using the TPM chip on the computer, which means anyone who steals your computer can still get in.
If someone steals a computer, can't they get the PIN by brute-force?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:59 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:39 am
Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:36 am
If someone steals a computer, can't they get the PIN by brute-force?

Victoria
The TPM enforces a limit on the number of tries.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:20 am

fortfun wrote:
GrowthSeeker wrote:
Hi all.

Thoughts?
(and thanks in advance)
+1