Geico umbrella us dropping me. What can I do?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cdu7

Geico umbrella us dropping me. What can I do?

Post by cdu7 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:42 am

I was rear ended under complicated circumstances earlier this year and the other party disputed fault and was suing for medical damages. I don’t know how/if this thing resolved fully, but I got a letter in the mail saying due to that accident and an accident my wife was in years ago they are dropping my umbrella. I really like geico, what should I do? Does this mean no one will give me umbrella now over this stupid car accident? I feel like I should drop all my insurance with them if I get umbrella with someone else.

mancich

Re: Geico umbrella us dropping me. What can I do?

Post by mancich » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:51 am

If you were rear-ended and they're dropping your umbrella insurance, I would indeed start shopping around. I think most insurance companies will require you to have home and/or auto insurance with them before they'll issue umbrella, but I may be wrong.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:56 am

Insurance companies want customers that pay premiums and never file claims. It's common for them to drop you after a claim.

SHouldn't be a big deal. It's just business.

Shop around aggressively. You'll be fine.
Funding secured

Chris K Jones

Post by Chris K Jones » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:03 am

I was dropped twice for umbrellas by USAA. I have been with USAA for over 30 years. In each case, there were accidents. In each case, I (or my wife for one of them) were not at fault. I have an umbrella now with another company (USLI, I think). The rates are higher, but there was no problem obtaining coverage. You will find someone else. Best wishes.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:57 am

There is an system call CLUE that reports all of you insurance claims sort of like how the credit reporting companies report your credit history. You can also get a free report from them to see what is on your history. It would be good to get that to check to make sure that there are not any errors on that report.

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/ ... losure.jsp

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:08 am

The lowest cost companies tend to drop you when you exceed a certain risk profile. It's not just accidents that will do it. That is how they're keeping the amount they're charging you low.

Other companies will pick up the riskier customers, but they will charge more. You should be able to get coverage from someone else.

If you do switch to a higher cost carrier, be sure to revisit your decision in a few years. If your risk profile drops again (no accidents, no tickets, better credit rating) then get your insurance re-quoted and switch back. Otherwise you're going to end up paying for the higher risk profile forever.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:08 am

Watty wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:57 am
There is an system call CLUE that reports all of you insurance claims sort of like how the credit reporting companies report your credit history. You can also get a free report from them to see what is on your history. It would be good to get that to check to make sure that there are not any errors on that report.

Thank you, I did not know about this. Just ordered my reports. I have had auto accident history and would be curious to see what is on the record.

furwut

Post by furwut » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:16 am

Insurance companies have data that shows the more accidents one has (regardless of fault) the likier it is for there to be future accidents. Shedding umbrella coverage, then, is simply a risk reduction on their part.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:21 am

wabbajack wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:08 am
Watty wrote:

Thank you, I did not know about this. Just ordered my reports. I have had auto accident history and would be curious to see what is on the record.
I ordered mine too. Sad that it is mailed in 15 days rather than just shown on the screen or emailed.

3dream3

Post by 3dream3 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:56 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:21 am
wabbajack wrote:
Watty wrote:

I ordered mine too. Sad that it is mailed in 15 days rather than just shown on the screen or emailed.
Thank you! I didn't know about this either so just ordered our reports... will be interesting to see what is on there.

sport

Post by sport » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:44 am

When you shop for another insurer, you should also shop all of your other casualty insurance policies. I have State Farm, and they give me substantial discounts for multiple cars and multiple policies. The discounts apply to all the policies. For example, I just received a renewal notice for one of my cars. The 6-month premium is $231. They also show discounts for "Multiple Line", "Multicar", "Accident-Free", and "Annual Mileage". They do not breakdown the discount for each one, but the total discount is $258.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:50 am

Geico is quite infamous for dropping customers for "anything". This is not surprising. I'd expect you'll have no trouble finding another company to cover you.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:04 am

Is Geico backing you up on this rear-end accident?

I know it is complicated, but if they rear-ended you, they are at fault. Vehicle control. Now, if someone hit them and they in turn hit you, then it is different.

People are sue happy. They are at fault and sue in hopes of bait/switching and taking the focus off. You have to have your insurance company fight for you. If they don't do that, what is the point.

My agent/adjuster would stop that junk in its tracks. Maybe a good counter-suit would bring things to resolution.

Getting a new umbrella policy might be interesting while this accident is open. Find a local independent agent in your area using the lookup tool on the www.cinfin.com front page. They can shop multiple carriers and give you advice. I like talking to a real person with a building.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

cdu7

Post by cdu7 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:23 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:04 am
Is Geico backing you up on this rear-end accident?

I know it is complicated, but if they rear-ended you, they are at fault. Vehicle control. Now, if someone hit them and they in turn hit you, then it is different.

People are sue happy. They are at fault and sue in hopes of bait/switching and taking the focus off. You have to have your insurance company fight for you. If they don't do that, what is the point.

My agent/adjuster would stop that junk in its tracks. Maybe a good counter-suit would bring things to resolution.

Getting a new umbrella policy might be interesting while this accident is open. Find a local independent agent in your area using the lookup tool on the www.cinfin.com front page. They can shop multiple carriers and give you advice. I like talking to a real person with a building.
I honestly don't what to get into the details of the accident, but yes Geico has my back. He is claiming that I "backed into him" which is literally impossible in this situation, but because Geico agrees I was not at fault he is engaged in a suit with them, I don't know the full situation since GEICO is handling it. What is interesting is that Geico claimed I wasn't at fault in the case against the other guy, but in the letter dropping my umbrella they listed my accident as: minor accident at fault.

steadyhand

Post by steadyhand » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:28 am

Same thing happened to me recently where GEICO dropped our umbrella after a weather related accident. I have found another insurance company (Kemper) for all my insurance needs (home, auto, umbrella) through an insurance agent and saved about 25% also in the process.

Note that umbrella typically needs at least auto coverage to be with the same company. Good luck!

I know that I may have to switch again next year to keep low rates, and unfortunately that is the game being played. I keep September every year a bit free in terms of chores so I can go insurance shopping😀

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:40 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:04 am

I know it is complicated, but if they rear-ended you, they are at fault.
This is not a correct -- or at least not a completely correct -- statement of the law. See, e.g., https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... -case.html

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:06 am

There are stand-alone umbrella policies out there btw. A few quick googles turned up about 5-6 companies.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:48 am

All too often people reward (pick) insurance companies that are the least expensive, vs. the best. USAA and AMICA are top rated. In the recent past, I have seen comments that USAA may not be providing top notch service like they used to. Never with AMICA have I seen these comments.

I pay a lot of money to AMICA every year. Rates keep going up. I plan on checking out Chubb and Pure shortly, bit not just price.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:03 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:48 am
All too often people reward (pick) insurance companies that are the least expensive, vs. the best. ... I plan on checking out Chubb and Pure shortly, bit not just price.
We have had Chubb for many years (auto, home, umbrella). We had 2 not-at-fault accidents and they handled things flawlessly. The premiums are high, but IMO, well worth it.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:07 am

Years ago, GEICO refused to give us homeowners insurance because they thought our roof was too old. We did eventually have the roof replaced 10 years after that, but just because we were getting a few curling shingles, not because of damage or leaks. I don't even check GEICO anymore for insurance.

Post by 2015 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:22 am

Shop, baby, shop. My former umbrella carrier did the favor of sending me a rude letter saying they were dropping me because I had insufficient underlying limits. Been with them for decades, no claims, and a letter like this. I'd tried shopping them before to get better rates to no avail. As a result of their new favor of increasing my displeasure with them I had my broker shop both unbundled homeowners and umbrella and we found new carriers for each with about $300 a year overall savings.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:29 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:07 am
Years ago, GEICO refused to give us homeowners insurance because they thought our roof was too old. We did eventually have the roof replaced 10 years after that, but just because we were getting a few curling shingles, not because of damage or leaks. I don't even check GEICO anymore for insurance.
GEICO does not underwrite home insurance.

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:36 pm

We’ve had significantly higher satisfaction with State Farm than with USAA in the past, despite USAA being better than most others. Zero interest in GEICO.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:59 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:29 pm
rkhusky wrote:
https://www.geico.com/homeowners-insurance/

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:04 pm

cdu7 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:42 am
I was rear ended under complicated circumstances earlier this year and the other party disputed fault and was suing for medical damages. I don’t know how/if this thing resolved fully, but I got a letter in the mail saying due to that accident and an accident my wife was in years ago they are dropping my umbrella. I really like geico, what should I do? Does this mean no one will give me umbrella now over this stupid car accident? I feel like I should drop all my insurance with them if I get umbrella with someone else.
Insurance companies. Typical deadbeats.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

blevine

Post by blevine » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:38 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:50 am
Geico is quite infamous for dropping customers for "anything". This is not surprising. I'd expect you'll have no trouble finding another company to cover you.
I have heard the same. Would never even call them for a quote. It is a one claim policy. Pay every year, one claim and you are out.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:53 am

rkhusky wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:59 pm
neilpilot wrote:
rkhusky wrote:
They sell home insurance underwritten by other insurance companies; ie they act as the broker. GEICO does not underwrite home insurance, only vehicle and umbrella policies.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:36 am

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:53 am
rkhusky wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:59 pm
neilpilot wrote:
rkhusky wrote:
They sell home insurance underwritten by other insurance companies; ie they act as the broker. GEICO does not underwrite home insurance, only vehicle and umbrella policies.
Whatever their role was 20 years ago, they refused to insure our house, whereas no other company had an issue with it.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:40 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:21 am
wabbajack wrote:
Watty wrote:

Glad I ordered my CLUE report. There are 3 water damage claims on there that aren't mine. I live in a townhouse and the address on the report doesn't have my unit number. They total over $3k and I know this would be very bad if I got new insurance quotes. None of the claims are even
with insurance companies I have had, so this should be easily resolved (but who knows since this is the first time dealing with this).

My brother bought a house around 14 years ago. The prior owner had filed a claim for water damage from the roof that was subsequently fixed. He almost could not get insurance. He had to find some company that you've never heard of because the biggies wouldn't touch it even though it wasn't his claim and was years before he bought the house.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:03 pm

I didn't need a CLUE report to know that there was a claim on file for a car that I had sold 4 days prior, but I ordered the report so that I could add a comment to the file against a claim that wasn't legit.

Even though I retained my plates and transferred insurance to a replacement car, a driver apparently rear ended another car with the car I had sold a few days earlier. The driver was not the person who bought the car. My insurance company was notified by the state, and later told me that I should have turned in the plates and notified the state of the sale. However, that didn't make sense since I transferred the plates and registration to the new car. Since the state takes a few weeks to record the transfer, the accident was reported to my insurer as if it was still my car (even though I removed the plates at the time of sale). It does show as "no fault, $0 paid" but could still be held against my record if/when I decide to shop for a different insurer.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:30 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:03 pm
I didn't need a CLUE report to know that there was a claim on file for a car that I had sold 4 days prior, but I ordered the report so that I could add a comment to the file against a claim that wasn't legit.

Even though I retained my plates and transferred insurance to a replacement car, a driver apparently rear ended another car with the car I had sold a few days earlier. The driver was not the person who bought the car. My insurance company was notified by the state, and later told me that I should have turned in the plates and notified the state of the sale. However, that didn't make sense since I transferred the plates and registration to the new car. Since the state takes a few weeks to record the transfer, the accident was reported to my insurer as if it was still my car (even though I removed the plates at the time of sale). It does show as "no fault, $0 paid" but could still be held against my record if/when I decide to shop for a different insurer.
Aren't you concerned about that? I'm no expert on this, but I imagine AllState or one of the other biggies get or calculates a score. They aren't going to read your comments. It is like if you dispute something on your credit report and lose and they let you give a comment. That comment doesn't go into your credit score and therefore is only useful if manually underwritten. Maybe because $0 was paid in your case it isn't a big deal.

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:41 pm

I loved AAA. They wouldn't insure a rental property. I moved ALL of my policies. I found out AAA never cared.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

jcf

Post by jcf » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:44 pm

Geico dropped my home coverage after years of covering it. Claimed it was too big to insure! I spoke to supervisor just to make sure they were not kidding. Seems like they have some kind of algorithm in place to do these things.
Anyway, I moved everything away from them including Auto, Home, Umbrella etc and happy with Allstate since then. You shouldn't have problems finding another insurer to cover you.

J295

Post by J295 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Dropping insureds happens. Personally I would enjoy more loyalty, but that's not how it works.
I'm fairly certain you will need to move all policies to another insurer to get umbrella coverage.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:00 pm

J295 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:11 pm
Dropping insureds happens. Personally I would enjoy more loyalty, but that's not how it works.
I'm fairly certain you will need to move all policies to another insurer to get umbrella coverage.
Incorrect.....I have auto+umbrella thru GEICO, and home thru Farmers.

Also, as previously mentioned, GEICO sells other insurers' homeowner policies, not underwritten by GEICO. I suspect JCF was dropped by his homeowner insurance company, with GEICO acting only as the agent & messenger.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:07 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:00 pm
J295 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:11 pm
Incorrect.....I have auto+umbrella thru GEICO, and home thru Farmers.

Also, as previously mentioned, GEICO sells other insurers' homeowner policies, not underwritten by GEICO. I suspect JCF was dropped by his homeowner insurance company, with GEICO acting only as the agent & messenger.
Progressive also sells another company's home insurance.

The issue with splitting is often the multi-policy discounts are huge and hard to overcome for most people.

Oleanmike

Post by Oleanmike » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:25 pm

When I switched to Geico, they refused to write an umbrella policy for me since I was an elected official (local govt). I got quotes for but never bought a replacement policy. Now Geico is pulling the 10-20% increase every renewal period to where I'm looking for a replacement. Not sure if I will get an umbrella or not (yes I've read all the threads on the subject).

rich126

Post by rich126 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:56 pm

I'm not in the business so I can't say if this is true but I think insurance companies often give you a lower price to start business with them and then they will slowly increase the premiums (even with no claims). They are counting on the fact that most people are lazy and have no interest in price comparison and changing insurance needs.

When I bought my current house about 7 years ago, I had insurance with one company but a few months later they sent me a letter saying I had to fix something on my garage (my garage is a 2 car garage with no entry into the house). It was a minor thing (nothing structural in my opinion) and since my house was a fixer upper (not structurally) I had other priorities. So I forgot about it and then the company canceled my insurance. I did some shopping around and found a quality company where I ended up saving about 25% so the first company did me a favor.

Unfortunately too many people end up being friends with their insurance agent (similar to a financial person or other professional) and are afraid of hurting their feelings and moving elsewhere. Instead they end up with an over priced policy, bad financial advice, etc. While it isn't true in this thread, keep business and friendship/family separate.