Suggestions on Phonics & Reading programs for 4 year old? Pre-K to Kindergarten

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
F150HD

Suggestions on Phonics & Reading programs for 4 year old? Pre-K to Kindergarten

Post by F150HD » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:03 pm

Any good suggestions that you have personally used or experienced? (for a gift to the mom to help a niece or granddaughter etc). TO TEACH A CHILD TO READ.

Something that is NOT COMPLICATED.

Have done some reading, for example https://www.thoughtco.com/homeschool-cu ... ms-1833058

The first recommendation at link above has good reviews, I like that it's SIMPLE.

I think the more complicated it gets, the higher the potential for the mom to not follow through on lessons.

Not as interested in 'techy' suggestions (unless they're a grand slam), kids have enough Ipads/tech devices/software they play learning games on, and they can become distracting.

Thanks.
Last edited by F150HD on Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Filetmerlot

Re: Suggestions on Phonics & Reading programs for 4 year old? Pre-K to Kindergarten

Post by Filetmerlot » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:16 pm

Try Bob Books. They come in sets of 5 or6. We have used those with our son and now with our kindergarten daughter. They come in several levels so you can find the appropriate one for the child.

Filetmerlot

Re: Suggestions on Phonics & Reading programs for 4 year old? Pre-K to Kindergarten

Post by Filetmerlot » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:19 pm

Double post

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:26 pm

Filetmerlot wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:16 pm
Try Bob Books. They come in sets of 5 or6. We have used those with our son and now with our kindergarten daughter. They come in several levels so you can find the appropriate one for the child.
thanks. reading the site it looks like this assumes the child can already read (?) and/or multiple parts/books/manipulatives are needed....multifaceted etc.

Not sure. Site isn't quite clear how the child learns letters, sounds, pieces sounds together etc. Thanks again.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:41 pm

F150HD wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:03 pm
Any good suggestions that you have personally used or experienced? (for a gift to the mom to help a niece or granddaughter etc).

Have done some reading, for example https://www.thoughtco.com/homeschool-cu ... ms-1833058

The first recommendation at link above has good reviews, I like that it's SIMPLE.

I think the more complicated it gets, the higher the potential for the mom to not follow through on lessons.

Not as interested in 'techy' suggestions (unless they're a grand slam), kids have enough Ipads/tech devices/software they play learning games on, and they can become distracting.

Thanks.
What is the purpose? Why not just buy the family a gift certificate to Barnes & Noble and let them pick out a few dozen books they would like to read to the child? It's a time tested method! :)

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:46 pm

If just learning letters and letter sounds, you can't beat leap frog letter factory video.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Leapfrog-Let ... gJEzPD_BwE

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:13 pm

At 4, just put in the time reading with them, pointing at things, asking questions about the pictures, etc. Any book that is of interest to the child. Even better, a library card.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:16 am

JBTX wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:46 pm
If just learning letters and letter sounds, you can't beat leap frog letter factory video.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Leapfrog-Let ... gJEzPD_BwE
Thanks, already have the leapfrog and its been in action.

Looking for a formal program to teach her to read etc.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:19 am

fortfun wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:41 pm

What is the purpose? Why not just buy the family a gift certificate to Barnes & Noble and let them pick out a few dozen books they would like to read to the child? It's a time tested method! :)
Can get books at the library for free so no BN, goal is a program to use to teach a child to read. Child is already read to. Thanks.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:22 am

sailaway wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:13 pm
At 4, just put in the time reading with them, pointing at things, asking questions about the pictures, etc. Any book that is of interest to the child. Even better, a library card.
Thanks, that's all been and done. Looking to go further so child can learn to read. Thanks again.

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:25 am

F150HD wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:19 am
fortfun wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:41 pm

Can get books at the library for free so no BN, goal is a program to use to teach a child to read. Child is already read to. Thanks.
Why do you think it's important to teach the child to read and not have her pick it up on her own? Is she showing difficulties, or a disinterest? Not all children learn to read at 4
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:35 am

My children’s school uses the Zoophonics program in preschool to learn letters/phonics and switches to The Letter People series in pre-K for reading. We bought flash cards etc from these programs to reinforce at home. Also read Bob Books, which are great confidence boosters for kids.

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:19 am

Another vote for "just get books and read to/with them". Those programs are a huge waste of money, IMHO.

When my kids were little, I'd start with identifying letters, and talking about what sounds they make. Then we'd go to letter blends ( "ch", "st" and so forth). We'd do this in books, and also about town--find the "K" on the "Bakery" sign! It would be part of our daily routine, just regular talking with my kids. We'd do colors and shapes, as well.

FTR, my 4 kids learned to read:

DD1 learned at age 4--she was very independent, still is. She taught herself--had no interest in me teaching her, thankyouverymuch.

DS1 learned at age 3--he was a late walker and late talker, we were told he'd struggle to learn to read. Because of this, I read to him constantly. He's the only one that I actively worked with, with a goal of him learning to read. Or at least, to love books. We now know that he has Asperger's and 2 learning disabilities.

DD2--we discovered she could read at 28 months. I say "discovered" because, when we realized it, she was already beyond easy reading. Believe me, if I knew the secret, I would bottle it and sell it to people like the OP--I was actually hoping for potty training more than reading. She remains a very quick thinker.

DS2--learned to read at 4.5 (slacker!)

Bottom line, it's not about a date or age--your goal really is a lifetime love of reading. To that end, encourage reading. Read to the child, let them "read" to you (even if they're reciting the story), let them see you read and enjoy books. Make reading interesting and fun. A non-reading preschooler is not behind the curve.

epargnant

Post by epargnant » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:28 am

Some kids are ready to learn to read at 4, and some (like my own kids), are barely ready at 6! I think the important thing at age 4 is to make sure the child is enjoying it, never push them, and stop if they are getting frustrated. Don't make them "finish the page/book/lesson." There seem to be lots of studies/articles saying that parents reading to kids is a bigger predictor of future success than how early a child is able to read. I certainly hope that's the case for my family!

But, if/when the child is ready, lots of homeschoolers in my area swear by "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons." It tells the parent what to say, and does not come with any manipulatives/flash cards. It doesn't work well for my own later readers, but it might for you!

I concur with above posters, and love Bob Books- they start nice and easy, you only have to teach a few letter sounds before the first book.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:45 am

We used meet the letters, meet the phonics, etc there is a whole selection of them. They worked great for us.

Carson

Post by Carson » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:20 am

We used Teach...100 Lessons with our two boys around age 4. Our oldest was begging us to learn to read and went through it pretty readily/easily. Our second was more resistant (turns out that's just his general disposition). Both times it took longer than going through it every single day, we'd take days off here and there.

https://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Child ... 0671631985

As a result of this, neither of my kids learned to read in school and went into Kindergarten as fluent readers. It's my opinion, that if you think you want to go through this book, you go all in with its methodology and stick with it, even if you have to start and stop. It is a very particular method. I do think it's better to give this a shot before they're in a classroom setting learning to read another way.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:43 am

In the summer before K we got Now I'm Reading! sets from Amazon. They were 10-12 small books with a repetitive word in 3-4 word sentences through the book. We used 3 different sets, my boys enjoyed them. After a few weeks they were starting to read them on their own.

I found anything with a picture on each page, and very limited words helped them to gain confidence.

Then there are always the classic Dr Seuss. I picked up a collection of 25 or so off ebay, used but really good condition, for something around $10. Now in 2nd grade those are still some of their favorite books.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:51 am

F150HD wrote:
Any good suggestions that you have personally used or experienced? (for a gift to the mom to help a niece or granddaughter etc). TO TEACH A CHILD TO READ.

The Reading Lesson: Teach your child to read in 20 easy lessons.

https://www.amazon.com/Reading-Lesson-T ... 0913063029

We used this for both our daughters when they turned four years old. We tried with the oldest one earlier but until their attention span got to the right development, it wasn't worth it. But once they got to where they could focus for ten or fifteen minutes at a time on this book, they cranked right through it.

It is a masterfully done and very simple to follow book compared to others I have seen used among my peer parents. Each chapter introduces new sounds and letter combinations and then has a variety of exercises to drill that home while keeping the kids entertained. Both kids were able to finish the book comfortably in a few months over summer.

My eldest daughter currently has the reading level of a college freshman and is in middle school. The youngest is in kindergarten and we just got the test results back two days ago and she is already at a second grade level. She is already reading chapter books so I wasn't surprised.

I've recommended this book to several other friends over the years (and it was also recommended to me by a friend as well) and everyone has had success.
Last edited by lthenderson on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52 am

I am concerned about the line in the OP that Mom may not follow through. If this is not something Mom is enthusiastic about then I agree with those who have posted that you do not need to teach a preschooler to read. You need to teach them to learn which is not the same thing.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:24 am

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:51 am
F150HD wrote:

We used this for both our daughters when they turned four years old. We tried with the oldest one earlier but until their attention span got to the right development, it wasn't worth it. But once they got to where they could focus for ten or fifteen minutes at a time on this book, they cranked right through it.

It is a masterfully done and very simple to follow book compared to others I have seen used among my peer parents. Each chapter introduces new sounds and letter combinations and then has a variety of exercises to drill that home while keeping the kids entertained. Both kids were able to finish the book comfortably in a few months over summer.

My eldest daughter currently has the reading level of a college freshman and is in middle school. The youngest is in kindergarten and we just got the test results back two days ago and she is already at a second grade level. She is already reading chapter books so I wasn't surprised.

I've recommended this book to several other friends over the years (and it was also recommended to me by a friend as well) and everyone has had success.
That is a great book especially for teaching phonics and not whole word.

psmoove

Post by psmoove » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:22 pm

My wife and I used “Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons” for two of our children. My youngest recently finished the book at 4 years old. It’s broken down in digestible 20 minute lessons, and what we usually did was one lesson a day, sometimes two depending on her mood. It took us approximately 4 months to go through the book (which was also supplemented by plenty of other books from the library with us reading to her). Now she is reading at a second grade level and she just started transitional kindergarten. My other daughter who also went through the book is 8 years old is reading at a 6th grade level. The book is currently $16.99 on Amazon.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:30 am

I am concerned about the line in the OP that Mom may not follow through. If this is not something Mom is enthusiastic about then I agree with those who have posted that you do not need to teach a preschooler to read. You need to teach them to learn which is not the same thing.
Please don't pull this thread off topic. Looking for suggestions to vet without typing an entire family history explaining the who/how/why/what ifs.... thanks.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:33 am

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:51 am

Thanks will do some reading on this.
psmoove wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:22 pm
My wife and I used “Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons” for two of our children....
Thanks. The book in post #1 I believe. Thanks again.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:17 am

We consistently read to our now five-year-old for years, but what I think flipped the switch for him last fall were apps for the Kindle called Endless Reader and Endless Alphabet, which he played on a long car trip during a family vacation. (It was his first experience with the Kindle, and it's mostly sat unused since that trip.) Once he figured out that those letters made words and those words made the stories he'd been hearing, there was no stopping him. His preschool gave us the BOB books that others have mentioned to borrow, and another series featuring a dog called Biscuit.

We're waiting on his formal assessment from kindergarten but the books he reads to himself are listed as somewhere between the 3rd and 6th grade level and he reads instructions for everything now (cookbooks, piano lesson text, etc.) Our two-year-old is pointing out letters and numbers so I imagine she'll have a similar trajectory. I don't think we had a method per se as much as a kid whose brain is naturally inclined toward words and an environment where that interest could flourish, so my other recommendation would be to ask for book recommendations rather than teaching methods.

warner25

Post by warner25 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:35 am

Our oldest daughter just turned 4 and my wife is about 90% complete with 100 Easy Lessons with her, which apparently means "2nd grade level." I didn't realize it was so popular. It has been amazing to watch, but I don't know if you can force it on a kid. She had already recognized the whole alphabet, upper and lower case, well before turning 2. Our younger daughter has taken less of an interest in letters, and it remains to be seen how reading will go. We try not to apply pressure or worry at this point.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:48 am

getthatmarshmallow wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:17 am
We consistently read to our now five-year-old for years, but what I think flipped the switch for him last fall were apps for the Kindle called Endless Reader and Endless Alphabet, which he played on a long car trip during a family vacation. (It was his first experience with the Kindle, and it's mostly sat unused since that trip.)
Thanks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcdM9OD2yaI

It looks like once a child learns the letters and sounds (Endless Alphabet), no more need for the app as it's done its job- then onto the site words. In this video it seems to show there is "1" word per letter, and there aren't more options for each letter (Apple, Axe, Alligator etc)

Cute program. Thanks.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:09 am

Both of our kids read early and well, one exceptionally so. It wasn't until afterwards that we realized that they took entirely different approaches to reading. The reading business calls these "sight word" versus "phonics" approaches. http://www.therightsideofnormal.com/201 ... r-phonics/

I am convinced that I could no easier have "converted" my kids to a different reading style than switched them from right-handed to left-handed. The child who learned exceptionally early is more artistic than the other child, who is stronger in analytics and math. I think this is a case where you have to pay attention to the child and follow their lead; I'm not taking credit for it, but their Montessori school was aces at it. In any case, remember that "it's not a question of how soon, but rather how far."
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:22 am

We found the McRuffy curriculum colorful and engaging. Here is a review: https://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschoo ... s-programs