Anyone ever tired of managing hair and consider shaving to go bald

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Elysium

Anyone ever tired of managing hair and consider shaving to go bald

Post by Elysium » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:24 pm

I have been considering it now and then, but the fear or social stigma especially in the work place is keeping me away from doing it. Not to speak of unspeakable horrors at home from my spouse and kids. But, I want to feel free sometimes of the hair, and at least for once try it. Has anyone else tried it, and if so, how did you navigate the social and professional settings.

MindBogler

Re: Anyone ever tired of managing hair and consider shaving to go bald

Post by MindBogler » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:34 pm

What stigma? I've been shaving my head for a decade and I work in a professional setting. It's never been an issue and it sure makes the morning routine easier. If you shave your hair and then grow a beard that's about as good as it gets!

:beer

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:39 pm

I didn't mean stigma in a very strong sense, just others getting used to the new look. I want to try it, but afraid to pull it off.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:42 pm

Yep, shaved my head about five years ago and have never regretted it. My wife supported the try. Never went back to hair. I did it at the beginning of a week off from work, just to kind of get used to it myself before returning to work. It was news at work of course, but everyone liked it. (Apparently I have a good skull?) Look around and you'll notice a lot of shaved heads.

It's certainly easy to maintain. About every three days I'll shave my head as part of my shower. You'll get good at this and do it by feel, no mirror needed. Use a standard 5-blade disposable and you'll never cut yourself. I just use regular soap as lather in the shower. Nothing fancy.

Makes for great jokes, too. How's my hair look? I used to have hair before this project! Etc. I was at a big party a couple of years ago and someone thought I was Security! Breaking bad...

Have fun.
There are stars in the Southern sky | And if ever you decide | You should go | There is a taste of time sweetened honey | Down the Seven Bridges Road

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:43 pm

It grows back really fast, I wouldn't worry about it. My spouse does it for me so it also saves a lot of money. :twisted:

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:43 pm

MindBogler wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:34 pm
What stigma? I've been shaving my head for a decade and I work in a professional setting. It's never been an issue and it sure makes the morning routine easier. If you shave your hair and then grow a beard that's about as good as it gets!

I agree...I did the grow a beard thing too!
There are stars in the Southern sky | And if ever you decide | You should go | There is a taste of time sweetened honey | Down the Seven Bridges Road

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:47 pm

SevenBridgesRoad wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:43 pm
MindBogler wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:34 pm

I agree...I did the grow a beard thing too!
I don't think the morning could get any better until I retire... :sharebeer

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:51 pm

No way. I’ve got a great head of hair and I receive compliments on my hair regularly. It takes all of 1 minute in the morning, on a bad morning, to “do” my hair. No gel, no products of any sort, just a quick rinse (if I don’t shower) with a flick of sink water and brush through it. I also buy a bottle of whatever 2-in-1 shampoo is on sale at Kroger every six months. I’ve got no idea how long until I’ll start losing my hair, but when that starts full swing I’ll gladly start shaving it. My wife also really loves my hair, so that’s reason enough to keep it.

Bald seems like too much work to me. I already don’t like shaving my face, and I’ve never gotten into the whole beard fad. I can’t imagine adding my big ol’ head to my shaving routine. You can really tell when someone misses a few days shaving their head.

Maybe you need a simpler hairstyle? Or just a change? Check with your barber! :beer

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:59 pm

It's not the morning routine, that's never a problem. It's just bothering me every once in a while. I also do a lot of cycling and wear a helmet, and that causes too much sweating and sticking to head and all that.

Momus

Post by Momus » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:04 pm

No one is going bald by choice... If you are balding bad thinning hair everywhere, with receding hairline, thinning at the crown, shaving it all isn't a bad choice. Nothing is more pathetic than the dude who is holding his last remaining hair.

rob

Post by rob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:27 pm

Why not do it as part of a charity thing... do the publicity up front from co-workers and if you like it, just don't go back afterwards. Gives a charity some dollars, gives you a way out if you don't like it, gives you a soft landing if you want to keep afterwards... win, win, win.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Kalo

Post by Kalo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:02 pm

I've thought about it. I definitely do not like long hair. I can't believe I had long hair as a teenager. I mean really long. What a lot of work that was just to shampoo. And it was hot, and always falling in my face. No way I'd ever do that again.

I keep mine about 1/2 inch on top, and 1/4 on the sides. I feel like it's the simplest length (well, other than going even shorter). The problem with shaving, as others have mentioned, is that then it's even more maintenance than just keeping it very short. I still only need to get a haircut every 4 or 5 weeks. So between haircuts, it's about as easy as it gets.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

tnbison

Post by tnbison » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:32 pm

I opted to start shaving my head about 5 years ago, would never go back. I was thinning quite a bit on top. I had a lot of scalp acne which contributed to me being afraid of shaving my head. My scalp is tremendously better now. The act of shaving itself exfoliates. I do have a nicely shaped head though, so that helps. I've always been a beard guy to, so I think the look works well.

FYI, if you don't know about moles on your head, you'll find them the first time. Had a friend who bled like a stuck pig first time he shaved his.

If you want some encouragement and have any questions I suggest visiting slybaldguys.com. They have a forum of head shaving enthusiasts.

Join the club!

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:19 am

Kalo wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:02 pm
I've thought about it. I definitely do not like long hair. I can't believe I had long hair as a teenager. I mean really long. What a lot of work that was just to shampoo. And it was hot, and always falling in my face. No way I'd ever do that again.

I keep mine about 1/2 inch on top, and 1/4 on the sides. I feel like it's the simplest length (well, other than going even shorter). The problem with shaving, as others have mentioned, is that then it's even more maintenance than just keeping it very short. I still only need to get a haircut every 4 or 5 weeks. So between haircuts, it's about as easy as it gets.

Kalo
A number 3 for my hair, a number 2 for my beard; the Goldilocks length, easier than shaved or longer. $20 every month or two.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:29 am

As a woman, I can't imagine why a guy would shave off hair, which is sexy, to go bald. Then again, I don't like beards and mustaches or the not shaved for three days look :-) so I am clearly unfashionable.

How much maintenance time are we talking about here? Now that I'm retired, I wash my hair twice a week in the shower and cut it myself every month or two, that's it.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:31 am

Been doing a short buzz cut for about 5 yrs now.

Simple and saves money

BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:40 am

Lol sounds like more work to keep shaving your head than having hair.

I Have mine cut short, maybe finger length. The only effort I put in between monthly haircuts is shampoo. It sounds like maybe you worry too much about style or something.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:07 am

Once in a while I’ll shave it. When I retire (soon) I may stay that way - it’s easier for me and when I try to get haircuts in other counties the results are, well, not what I asked for.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:15 am

I don't shave bald because it looks funny on me, but I trim my whole head with a 1-gauge every couple weeks. I just like it best that way. Every office I've worked in had had at least one guy or gal who shaved bald, whether as a response to awkward hair loss or just for personal preference. Just try it. It'll grow back if you don't like it.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:31 am

As soon as it started going I went bald. I love it, I save a ton on hair products :) It took a few days to get used to it but then it became second nature. Shave it before you go on vacation so you can get used to it.
Now the first time shaving it will feel weird, like the razor will cut your head. You just need to get used to using the razor on your hair, after the first time its a breeze. 4-5 years now I have been shaving it and its so much easier. Plus you kind of lock in your age when you go bald because no one can see you grey out :)

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:33 am

Cut it short. Problem solved.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

warner25

Post by warner25 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:43 am

Yeah, I'll reiterate the comments on shaving vs. just keeping it really short with clippers. I feel like you'd have to shave daily to maintain that look, and it would be painful. Using clippers, maybe with a short comb guard, you could reduce the effort to once every couple of weeks, painlessly. As a military officer, I've been cutting my own hair for more than a decade with a $30 set of clippers, between 1/8" and a 1/2". It takes a little skill to keep the top longer than the sides, but a straight 1/8 would be super easy. The low maintenance aspect is fantastic, and I think it looks perfectly professional. Everybody looks and feels weird at first with a major hair style change, but I'd bet nobody notices anymore after a week.

gd

Post by gd » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:05 am

Get it cut shorter and shorter by a pro until they're pretty much just using the same clippers everywhere, then try DIY. The shorter, the easier. Wash your hair immediately before, towel dry and it'll work better because the hair lays more uniformly. You'll need someone else if you want crisp hairlines at your neck unless you are unusually talented. Don't think I'd call shaving easier, just simpler in sense of no further fuss.

If you don't know this already, tops of heads get sunburned very easily.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:22 am

Started doing it about 10 years ago when I finally got over the denial that I was going bald. I don't shave, just use a $20 set of Wahl clippers without a guard. The Wahl has a fine adjustment lever I put about midway so I'm basically at about 1/16". Five minutes every seven to 10 days, no shampoo to buy...

Sweating is even more annoying without hair. Without something to wick it away it just runs into your face and eyes more. Easily solved with a hat.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:28 am

jehovasfitness wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:31 am

Simple and saves money
This is the route I opted for. I cut it myself once a week and only takes a couple min.

I'm getting thin on top and refuse to become comb over guy. :sharebeer

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:44 am

Elysium wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:24 pm
I have been considering it now and then, but the fear or social stigma especially in the work place is keeping me away from doing it. Not to speak of unspeakable horrors at home from my spouse and kids. But, I want to feel free sometimes of the hair, and at least for once try it. Has anyone else tried it, and if so, how did you navigate the social and professional settings.
Depends....Are you male or female?

I have been close to doing this multiple times. I hate having to take the time to go somewhere and get a haircut. I hate dealing with it.
My wife rejected my idea of getting a Flowbee. There are bald people where I work. My best friend is a cop and shaves his head and I am jealous. But I do enjoy buying him shampoo for his birthday as a joke.

I think the biggest shock would be to family/friends/coworkers who already know me. And I worry that I would discover my head is knobby or shaped funny.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:53 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:19 am
Kalo wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:02 pm

Kalo
A number 3 for my hair, a number 2 for my beard; the Goldilocks length, easier than shaved or longer. $20 every month or two.
I use the same attachment for both my hair and beard. I do it myself using the same electric hair clippers and plastic attachment (I think a #2) that I've had for over thirty years so it is free. I do get my wife to do the back of my neck but that only costs me a kiss and a compliment.

head gamez

Post by head gamez » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:58 am

Elysium wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:59 pm
It's not the morning routine, that's never a problem. It's just bothering me every once in a while. I also do a lot of cycling and wear a helmet, and that causes too much sweating and sticking to head and all that.
I think that you will find that the shaved head will result in a worse experience while riding. I tried it once, and couldn't keep the sweat out of my eyes while riding.

pezblanco

Post by pezblanco » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:16 am

There are different bald looks, I think. One is the shaved head (Yul Brenner, Michael Jordan, etc etc). If you want it to look shaved all the time you have to keep on top of and shave every day or two depending. The other is the "close clippered head". You take it down as short as a set of "balding clippers" can take it and you have that stubbly look (Jason Statham for example). This is much easier to maintain, you just run the clippers over your head every week to 10 days ...

Wahl Balding Clippers are a great product and cost about 50 bucks ...

FunnelCakeBob

Post by FunnelCakeBob » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:47 am

Shaving it will take more maintenance to keep the look. Some guys look great with shaved head; others better with short cut. I prefer buzzing my hair, or cutting it very short. Been doing it myself with a trimmer since I was laid off from a job during the Great Recession. Number 2 clipper on the top and number 1 on the side. I do maintenance trimming every 1 or 2 weeks. Sometimes, I'd let it grow and just maintain the sides for a few months to go back to the old look. Haven't gone to the barbershop or paid a "stylist" for almost 10 years. Sometimes a bottle of shampoo will last more than a year.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:51 am

The thing is, people won't tell you when you look like a tool by trying to cover up your baldness. You don't have to completely shave your head but it looks a lot better to have it really short than have long hair with a big bald spot. I know a couple of guys in their 40's who sometimes brag about their hair and what they don't realize is that it looks dumb and they are not fooling anyone.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:56 am

Momus wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:04 pm
No one is going bald by choice... If you are balding bad thinning hair everywhere, with receding hairline, thinning at the crown, shaving it all isn't a bad choice. Nothing is more pathetic than the dude who is holding his last remaining hair.
OP doesn't mention their situation. Are they losing hair? What is the current look?
If you are balding, either shave it off or transplant. I tried the shaved look. Decided I was too young and it wasn't for me, so I got a transplant. That's almost 5 months ago. Results are starting to show now.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:09 am

Get a $20 clipper set.

Try #2. If too long, try #1. If too short, try #3. I've been "cutting" my own hair for years. $20 saved each time and I can do it whenever I want.

I personally detest shaving my face. I usually just trim it back with a beard trimmer a couple times a week.

I can't imagine shaving my face and entire head every day. Although I know many do just that.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:38 am

Elysium wrote:
Male or female?

MP123

Post by MP123 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:25 pm

head gamez wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:58 am
Elysium wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:59 pm
I think that you will find that the shaved head will result in a worse experience while riding. I tried it once, and couldn't keep the sweat out of my eyes while riding.
I had the same problem but a Halo headband slips nicely under a helmet, keeps the sweat out of your eyes, and and helmet band marks off your forehead. :sharebeer

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:01 pm

Been using a clipper and 1/8 inch guard on my head every 2 weeks for last 30 years. Probably saved about $10k and always maintained a clean cut professional look. When I still worked it really made working out at lunch or before work a lot easier if you can shower and dry your hair in 5 minutes.

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:19 pm

Be prepared to wash your pillowcase much more frequently than weekly. All that sebum has to go somewhere if not your hair. Take it from personal experience. But nevertheless, I am in favor of the shaved look.

Zonian59

Post by Zonian59 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:05 am

Had a coworker who was going bald who did just that; shaved his head.
Then he grew a full beard just to prove he could still grow hair on his head.

I have the same problem and I tried shaving my head but head looked incomplete so I grew a beard.
Beard turned out to be more gray than hair on head.
Made me look 20 years older.

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:33 am

Misenplace wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:19 pm
Be prepared to wash your pillowcase much more frequently than weekly. All that sebum has to go somewhere if not your hair. Take it from personal experience. But nevertheless, I am in favor of the shaved look.
Agree much more "grease" everywhere. Don't do the facial hair-no need to make up for no hair on your noggin. It makes you look older.

surveyor

Post by surveyor » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:44 am

Been doing the clipper with no guard cut for years. Last year I bought a set of clippers that had a built in vacuum (no Flowbee) and it made clean up pretty minimal.

Arinbjorn

Post by Arinbjorn » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:41 am

I've been shaving my head for a few years now. Highly recommended. If you use an old school type safety razor, you can buy blades dirt cheap. I spend one cheap hair cut cost on my head yearly now.

I also grew a beard.

When the breeze blows, I feel it on my dome and beard. Life is good.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:47 am

I always thought a shaved head goes best with a muscular physique so you can go for the "Mr. Clean" look. Earring not required :mrgreen:

dgm

Post by dgm » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:52 am

Elysium wrote:
Has anyone else tried it, and if so, how did you navigate the social and professional settings.
Do it! I shaved my head for a period (not completely -- just really short). I jokingly used to say that was my best investment ever. $15 clippers saved many many times that cost of going to the barbershop.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:47 am

Try short, I went short. My hair is not longer than 1 inch. After many years being tired of my natural waves I finally found the solution : short hair removes my waves! My 15 year old grandson recently had changed to long hairs on top, now has also short hair.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:55 am

surveyor wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:44 am
Been doing the clipper with no guard cut for years. Last year I bought a set of clippers that had a built in vacuum (no Flowbee) and it made clean up pretty minimal.
Can you please provide make/model ?
Thanks.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:06 pm

Elysium wrote:
Is everyone who is responding assuming that the OP is a man? I’m guessing many of the responses would be different if the question is posed by a woman.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:49 pm

OP here. After reading all the different ideas on how to shave the head, some even mention daily, it sounds more complicated than keeping the hair! I am somewhat surprised at how popular this topic is. I guess I will try it at some point in future just to see how it looks and feels.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:54 pm

GerryL wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:06 pm
Elysium wrote:
Is everyone who is responding assuming that the OP is a man? I’m guessing many of the responses would be different if the question is posed by a woman.
Maybe many would but mine would not. I know men and women at my workplace with buzz cuts and shaved heads, and I'm one of them. No good reason why it should not be just as accepted in a professional workplace regardless of gender. As with many things, ymmv, especially for outside sales or in-person consultancy jobs in conservative industries.

OP, the upkeep requirements differ wildly depending on whether you are planning to shave smooth or just cut very short (1/16"-1/2"). I think everyone who's interested should try very short hair at least once. It will grow back.

tony_roach

Post by tony_roach » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:28 pm

I would cut it super short (0 level) with hair clippers to try out. I did the same (preemptive move) and have not gone back. Still use zero level hair clippers so not shaving yet.

seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:42 pm

jehovasfitness wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:31 am

Simple and saves money
Me too... for about 20 years. I cut my own hair. I have purchased 5 clippers at about $25 a pop over the years. Total $125 investment against, say, sixteen $20.00 haircuts a year. Total savings around $7000.00. That's a number any Bogglehead can love. The buzz cut is a no brainer. It was never an issue at work, one day I had hair, the next day I didn't. People got used to it in a day or two.