When do you need a hearing aid

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Rob5TCP
Posts: 3168
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

When do you need a hearing aid

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:29 pm

would like to get an opinion on this. I just came back from the ENT doctor. When the audiologist
tested my ears, she found 5-20% loss between 250-1k frequency. At 8k frequency it jumps to 50%
in both ears. She went on about my needing a hearing aid in both ears and waiting could make the
deterioration too severe to for the hearing aid to have any affect. Something about the nerves not getting
stimulation they die more quickly. She said if I don't get a hearing aid, I should be checked at least every year.
I felt she was selling me / pushing me towards the hearing aid. I took an online test and the results
were pretty similar to what hers were. I am curious if her opinion was free of bias or does the monetary
gain have a direct influence (the Boglehead in me).

When the Dr saw my results he said they were normal hearing decline for my age and I should setup
another appt in two years.


This is my first appt for this in almost 20 years - i am now 60.
Thoughts from people that know about this !

I actually only went because I had wax in my ears (quite severe) and I am flying to Seattle in a few days
and did not want to travel with my ears feeling "clogged up".

hicabob
Posts: 2718
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: cruz

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by hicabob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:41 pm

Indeed high frequency loss happens as we get older. Online hearing tests are sort of interesting - here's a quickie that gives an approximation as to frequency you can still hear depending on how good your sound card is and other factors. I haven't heard that hearing aids slow down loss though. Sounds a little suspicious but it's a good sales line.

https://playback.fm/hearing-test

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18779
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:44 pm

No experience (yet), but I think I would consider the ENT (Physician) being a more "objective" source of guidance on this and not having a significant financial "bias".

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18779
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:47 pm

hicabob wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:41 pm
Indeed high frequency loss happens as we get older. Online hearing tests are sort of interesting - here's a quickie that gives an approximation as to frequency you can still hear depending on how good your sound card is and other factors. I haven't heard that hearing aids slow down loss though. Sounds a little suspicious but it's a good sales line.

https://playback.fm/hearing-test
OK - did this at my desktop with speakers. Did it twice. First time hearing of 57 year old and second time 56. I am 72 :)

hicabob
Posts: 2718
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: cruz

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by hicabob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:49 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:47 pm
hicabob wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:41 pm
Indeed high frequency loss happens as we get older. Online hearing tests are sort of interesting - here's a quickie that gives an approximation as to frequency you can still hear depending on how good your sound card is and other factors. I haven't heard that hearing aids slow down loss though. Sounds a little suspicious but it's a good sales line.

https://playback.fm/hearing-test
OK - did this at my desktop with speakers. Did it twice. First time hearing of 57 year old and second time 56. I am 72 :)
mine was optimistic too - I'm not so sure I like that test since you sort of hear it until you don't then press the button so a delay happens.
This is much better.
http://onlinetonegenerator.com/

User avatar
Rob5TCP
Posts: 3168
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:22 pm

I am leaning towards waiting a couple of years before I even consider getting one. The hard sell was a put off.
Are there any independent places that test but do not SELL hearing aids. So I could get truly objective advice.

User avatar
BolderBoy
Posts: 4148
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:16 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by BolderBoy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:59 pm

I asked an ENT friend that exact question. He suggested going to 10 different, unrelated hearing test websites and run the test on each. Then discard any results that reported, "Yeah, you need hearing aides and we're here to help." And take the average results of the remaining sites.

After doing that my hearing is approx normal for my age.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18779
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:13 pm

My opinion is that the successful (for those that need them) use of hearing aids requires that the person have "patience" and attitude to use them properly. My late father had some hearing issues in his older years, BUT would not (or could not) successfully use hearing aids because of his "impatience".

Then, there are some folks who are very happy NOT hearing everything.

Starfish
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by Starfish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:16 pm

I know that you should get a hearing aid way before severe hearing loss but I have no idea how early.
Even if he was overselling, I would probably not try to save some money on my hearing.

bradinsky
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:32 am

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by bradinsky » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi all!
I’m 66 YO & have been wearing hearing aids for 11 years now. I believe that when you are tired of saying “pardon me, what, huh, or what did they say”, or asking someone to tell you what was just said on tv, you will know when it’s time to buy. I just got tired of hearing only 80% - 90% of a conversations, and trying to guess what I missed. That’s fairly typical when your hearing starts to go.
The ones I currently wear came from Costco. Hard to imagine, but they are the largest aid retailer in the U.S. They will test your hearing for free & if you need aids, they will let you try out a pair for an hour, or so, while you are in the store. If you purchase from them, they give you 45 days to try them out after purchase, and offer a “full” refund if you are not satisfied. Their prices are better than anyone else, and there was zero pressure to buy. Also, I believe most states have laws forcing retailers to offer full refunds for 30 days after purchase. Good luck!

Brad

Mr. Jelly
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by Mr. Jelly » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:41 pm

I started getting hearing aid ads in the mail all the time once I got into my 60s. So what's that tell you? I know I will need to get some in the not to distant future. But right now I don't really care what most people have to say anyway.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18779
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:45 pm

Some of these are extremely high tech. One friend has two (both ears) and a remote that looks like one for a TV.

Another friend has ones that (somehow) are electronically connected to her cell phone. She "hears" the cell phone when there is no audible ringing sound.

bradinsky
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:32 am

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by bradinsky » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:49 pm

Nanotechnology. Amazing little computers!

mrb09
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:02 am

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by mrb09 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:50 pm

bradinsky wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:28 pm
Hi all!
I’m 66 YO & have been wearing hearing aids for 11 years now. I believe that when you are tired of saying “pardon me, what, huh, or what did they say”, or asking someone to tell you what was just said on tv, you will know when it’s time to buy. I just got tired of hearing only 80% - 90% of a conversations, and trying to guess what I missed. That’s fairly typical when your hearing starts to go.
That was me. Happy with my hearing aids now.

RickBoglehead
Posts: 1002
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:04 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:45 pm
Some of these are extremely high tech. One friend has two (both ears) and a remote that looks like one for a TV.

Another friend has ones that (somehow) are electronically connected to her cell phone. She "hears" the cell phone when there is no audible ringing sound.
Bluetooth...

User avatar
calmaniac
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by calmaniac » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:07 pm

bradinsky wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:28 pm
I believe that when you are tired of saying “pardon me, what, huh, or what did they say”, or asking someone to tell you what was just said on tv, you will know when it’s time to buy. I just got tired of hearing only 80% - 90% of a conversations, and trying to guess what I missed.
I agree with Brad, the biggest issue is function in the real world, not the hearing test.

Hearing loss is most apparent in noisy situations, such as restaurants, large gatherings. Some people's lifestyle involves many crowded social events that may be more of an issue for hearing. An individual whose life involves chess or similar will have less of an issue with the same decibel hearing loss.

One additional issue is that we all become less adaptable as we get older. Learning to use hearing aids will be easier for a 70 year old than for an 80 year old. That may have been what the audiologist was referring to when suggesting a benefit to earlier use.

bradinsky
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:32 am

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by bradinsky » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:23 pm

The reality of it is, is that the longer you go without hearing well, the harder it is to recognize some words, after you are fitted with hearing aids. You tend to forget what they sound like, and it takes a moment to process the sound. People with profound hearing loss that go an extended period of time without hearing normal, many times require hearing therapy, after being fitted for aids.

mortfree
Posts: 1300
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by mortfree » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 pm

Go to Costco. Hopefully there is one nearby.

Get the free hearing exam. I will bet you will be more impressed with their exam than your ENT office.

See what they have to say. Try out the recommended model in store.

Think about it and discuss your concerns with them.

They have a terrific trial period (6 months now?) and return policy.

Early 40’s. Sensorineural hearing loss since birth. Bought HAs a few years ago from Costco. There was zero pressure to buy. I even had to press them to go ahead and order them for me.

Good luck. My unprofessional interpretation of your results is mild to moderate hearing loss.

There is a hearing aid forum as well you can visit. I think it is now called hearing tracker.
Last edited by mortfree on Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bradinsky
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:32 am

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by bradinsky » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:42 pm

If you don’t belong to Costco, join. The $50 cost of a membership will return 20 times + it’s cost, in savings.

mortfree
Posts: 1300
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by mortfree » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:46 pm

bradinsky wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:42 pm
If you don’t belong to Costco, join. The $50 cost of a membership will return 20 times + it’s cost, in savings.
Note: you do not need to be a member to get the hearing test. You only have to join if you want to buy the hearing aids.

You also should be able to get the executive (?) membership (pays for itself with the reward on the hearing aid purchase) and if they still have it, use the Costco credit card to get a 0% offer.

User avatar
Rob5TCP
Posts: 3168
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:07 pm

Long time Costco member - was not aware they sold hearing aids.
I think I am on the border - but not nearly as "critical" as the
audiologist made it out to be.

bradinsky
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:32 am

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by bradinsky » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:14 pm

Hi Rob!
Testing is free. See how their testing compares to your previous ones. Also, the chance to try the aids in the store for an hour, or so, with no obligation, is interesting.

Brad

Scrapr
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 9:19 am

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by Scrapr » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:19 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:22 pm
I am leaning towards waiting a couple of years before I even consider getting one. The hard sell was a put off.
Are there any independent places that test but do not SELL hearing aids. So I could get truly objective advice.
I just went to Costco. I made the appointment. While there the guy took a quick look in my ears. Said you have major wax. I cleared them at home. Took about a week of constant drops & irrigation. Went in for the test. He said you have "some" loss, but probably not enough for aids. I have heard several people say Costco is not pushy on the sales

RickBoglehead
Posts: 1002
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:39 pm

bradinsky wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:42 pm
If you don’t belong to Costco, join. The $50 cost of a membership will return 20 times + it’s cost, in savings.
$60

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2301
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:09 pm

calmaniac wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:07 pm
bradinsky wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:28 pm
I believe that when you are tired of saying “pardon me, what, huh, or what did they say”, or asking someone to tell you what was just said on tv, you will know when it’s time to buy. I just got tired of hearing only 80% - 90% of a conversations, and trying to guess what I missed.
I agree with Brad, the biggest issue is function in the real world, not the hearing test.

Hearing loss is most apparent in noisy situations, such as restaurants, large gatherings. Some people's lifestyle involves many crowded social events that may be more of an issue for hearing. An individual whose life involves chess or similar will have less of an issue with the same decibel hearing loss.

One additional issue is that we all become less adaptable as we get older. Learning to use hearing aids will be easier for a 70 year old than for an 80 year old. That may have been what the audiologist was referring to when suggesting a benefit to earlier use.
+1

A couple of years ago I went to an ENT for a different issue. He had an audiologist do a hearing test for a baseline. They both told me at the time that I had high-frequency hearing loss and would "eventually" need hearing aids. When I went to the ENT for a routine follow-up a couple of years later, I complained of an increasing problem in understanding conversations. He sent me back to the audiologist, and one ear had a pronounced loss since the previous testing. I am now in the early stages of adjusting to hearing aids.

My layman's opinion is that now that you are aware that there might be an issue, pay particular attention to how you feel you are hearing things and how those close to you think you are hearing things. When you sense there is a problem, return for further evaluation/treatment.

Katietsu
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by Katietsu » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:22 pm

Do you have a spouse? Kids? Roommate? Lunch group? Poker group?

In my experience, they may be aware of your need for a hearing before you are.

spectec
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:00 am

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by spectec » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:35 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:45 pm
Some of these are extremely high tech. One friend has two (both ears) and a remote that looks like one for a TV.

Another friend has ones that (somehow) are electronically connected to her cell phone. She "hears" the cell phone when there is no audible ringing sound.
Its truly amazing what's available these days. I've mentioned this in another thread or two but will repeat here. About 7-8 years ago I bought my first set of hearing aids from the audiologist at my ENT's office. Cost was a little over $6,000. They came with a little device I could wear like a necklace to stream my iPhone to the HA's. They worked very well overall, but I had to return to the audiologist for any adjustments needed.

This year it was time to replace them (one had died). I had heard so much about Costco HA's I decided to check them out. I now wear a pair of their private labeled KS-8 Hearing Aids that cost me a little over $1,600 for the set. They are smaller and have better sound than the $6,000 pair. They connect directly to my iPhone automatically when it rings, when I make a call, and when I want to play music. The sound literally seems to originate inside my head in those modes. I can change settings on an iPhone app to adapt to various hearing situations (restaurant, outdoors, etc), and can even alter the directionality of the HA's using the iPhone or focus & enhance amplification from any direction. I have a device which is permanently connected to my TV to stream the TV audio directly to both HA's.(It cost a little extra but is well worth it). That feature is activated by simply pressing a tiny rocker switch on the HA's or choosing a setting on the iPhone app. I can listen to the TV with its volume setting up, down, or even muted, depending upon what others in the room prefer in the way of sound.

For most HA users (first time or replacement), a trip to Costco is almost a necessity AFTER having gotten a medical evaluation from an ENT. Costco will perform a hearing test that is as good as or better than anything you'll get at the ENT office, but first you want to be sure there isn't an underlying medical issue that needs treatment. Incidentally, if Costco detects anything medical they will tell you to see the ENT, but they don't pretend that their hearing test is a medical evaluation.

Finally, anyone contemplating HA's now or in the future, no matter how much you think you know about the devices, should visit the Hearing Tracker site and join their forum There is a wealth of excellent information that will help you make a more informed decision and avoid a host of costly mistakes. https://forum.hearingtracker.com
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

carolinaman
Posts: 3295
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by carolinaman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:52 am

calmaniac wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:07 pm
bradinsky wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:28 pm
I believe that when you are tired of saying “pardon me, what, huh, or what did they say”, or asking someone to tell you what was just said on tv, you will know when it’s time to buy. I just got tired of hearing only 80% - 90% of a conversations, and trying to guess what I missed.
I agree with Brad, the biggest issue is function in the real world, not the hearing test.

Hearing loss is most apparent in noisy situations, such as restaurants, large gatherings. Some people's lifestyle involves many crowded social events that may be more of an issue for hearing. An individual whose life involves chess or similar will have less of an issue with the same decibel hearing loss.

One additional issue is that we all become less adaptable as we get older. Learning to use hearing aids will be easier for a 70 year old than for an 80 year old. That may have been what the audiologist was referring to when suggesting a benefit to earlier use.
+1. I am 74 and have been wearing hearing aids for over 10 years. Noisy backgrounds and the female voice are the hardest for me. HAs have made limited improvements in noisy backgrounds but otherwise have been very helpful. My wife claims my difficulty hearing the female voice is an acquired skill, not a hearing deficiency!

I have heard from multiple audiologists that failure to use HAs can result in permanent hearing loss. They always stress that I wear the HAs most of the time for that reason.

I recommend using Costco for HAs. Much lower prices and good service. If you use Costco, insist on being tested and fitted by an audiologist, not a hearing tech. My first HA was from a Dr of Audiology and the last 2 were from Costco. I saw no difference in the competency of the two and Costco has better prices and service.

User avatar
Rob5TCP
Posts: 3168
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by Rob5TCP » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:21 am

Katietsu wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:22 pm
Do you have a spouse? Kids? Roommate? Lunch group? Poker group?

In my experience, they may be aware of your need for a hearing before you are.
Single and none of my friends have ever had to repeat. Only when in a noisy environment and they talk somewhat softly
do I request that they repeat. In private setting without a lot of background noise, I am fine.

User avatar
Rob5TCP
Posts: 3168
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by Rob5TCP » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:22 am

spectec wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:35 pm
dm200 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:45 pm
Some of these are extremely high tech. One friend has two (both ears) and a remote that looks like one for a TV.

Another friend has ones that (somehow) are electronically connected to her cell phone. She "hears" the cell phone when there is no audible ringing sound.
Its truly amazing what's available these days. I've mentioned this in another thread or two but will repeat here. About 7-8 years ago I bought my first set of hearing aids from the audiologist at my ENT's office. Cost was a little over $6,000. They came with a little device I could wear like a necklace to stream my iPhone to the HA's. They worked very well overall, but I had to return to the audiologist for any adjustments needed.

This year it was time to replace them (one had died). I had heard so much about Costco HA's I decided to check them out. I now wear a pair of their private labeled KS-8 Hearing Aids that cost me a little over $1,600 for the set. They are smaller and have better sound than the $6,000 pair. They connect directly to my iPhone automatically when it rings, when I make a call, and when I want to play music. The sound literally seems to originate inside my head in those modes. I can change settings on an iPhone app to adapt to various hearing situations (restaurant, outdoors, etc), and can even alter the directionality of the HA's using the iPhone or focus & enhance amplification from any direction. I have a device which is permanently connected to my TV to stream the TV audio directly to both HA's.(It cost a little extra but is well worth it). That feature is activated by simply pressing a tiny rocker switch on the HA's or choosing a setting on the iPhone app. I can listen to the TV with its volume setting up, down, or even muted, depending upon what others in the room prefer in the way of sound.

For most HA users (first time or replacement), a trip to Costco is almost a necessity AFTER having gotten a medical evaluation from an ENT. Costco will perform a hearing test that is as good as or better than anything you'll get at the ENT office, but first you want to be sure there isn't an underlying medical issue that needs treatment. Incidentally, if Costco detects anything medical they will tell you to see the ENT, but they don't pretend that their hearing test is a medical evaluation.

Finally, anyone contemplating HA's now or in the future, no matter how much you think you know about the devices, should visit the Hearing Tracker site and join their forum There is a wealth of excellent information that will help you make a more informed decision and avoid a host of costly mistakes. https://forum.hearingtracker.com
That's an amazing cost differential. I am NOT going back to the audiologist I saw yesterday, but will plan a trip to Costco after my vacation.
Thank you.

User avatar
JPH
Posts: 810
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by JPH » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:22 am

I wouldn't rush to get one. It's sort of like eyeglasses; you know you need them when life begins to get a bit difficult. It depends on your situation too. Before I got my hearing aides, I could not understand small children, but I was never around small children so it was not a big problem. I think the law in many states requires them to give you a trial period. You could take advantage of that if you can. But don't wait too long either. There is a lot of auditory information in the world. If you don't hear it you start ignoring the information. Your brain can get lazy if it does not receive and process the information. Studies show relatively poor cognitive performance among hearing impaired compared to normal hearing people.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

Call_Me_Op
Posts: 7048
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Milky Way

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by Call_Me_Op » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:58 am

Rob5TCP wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:29 pm
She went on about my needing a hearing aid in both ears and waiting could make the
deterioration too severe to for the hearing aid to have any affect. Something about the nerves not getting
stimulation they die more quickly.
I am a layperson, but skeptical of this claim.

I personally would get hearing aids if I felt my QoL would benefit from it.

https://www.truhearing.com/more-resourc ... ring-loss/
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

User avatar
CABob
Posts: 4611
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:55 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by CABob » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:13 am

I'm glad to see another hearing aid conversation on the forum since I have some hearing loss and know I should do something about it. My primary problem in my opinion is in listening to conversations in a noisy area or really when there is any interfering sounds. A room with several conversation going on at one time or even six or eight people sitting around a table was a problem. Or trying to carry on a conversation while the TV is on is difficult.
I went to Costco a couple of years ago and was tested and bought one of their Kirkland brand aids. I wore them several months and had them adjusted a number of times and each time they seemed good while in the store walking around but after I left I didn't think they improved my primary perceived problem. I finally returned the aids to Costco and have gone without them for a couple of years.
I know, however, that the hearing problem has gotten worse and need to do something about it, but haven't figured out what to do. Go back to Costco? Try to find an audiologist (they seem to be in short supply in my area)? Try another hearing aid sales place?
Any suggestions would be appreciated especially experience with regard to special (which isn't special) circumstances which do not show up in the aid shop.
Bob

mouses
Posts: 3826
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by mouses » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:21 am

hicabob wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:41 pm
Indeed high frequency loss happens as we get older. Online hearing tests are sort of interesting - here's a quickie that gives an approximation as to frequency you can still hear depending on how good your sound card is and other factors. I haven't heard that hearing aids slow down loss though. Sounds a little suspicious but it's a good sales line.
I have had a high frequency hearing loss for years. ENTs have never said anything about a hearing aid slowing down loss.

There is a thing where if babies lose something like sight or hearing and it isn't restored pretty promptly (I forget the range of time) their developing brain never builds the capability to process that type of information, but it is far different for adults. I think the technician was at best confused.

I tried a hearing aid when I was first diagnosed, but it was overkill. If I get to the point where it is more than occasionally asking What? then I'll think about a hearing aid.

User avatar
packet
Posts: 796
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:23 am
Location: The pub

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by packet » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:29 am

What?
First round’s on me.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18779
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by dm200 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:30 am

If you have hearing loss in both ears, can it make sense to just get one (for simplicity) hearing aid?

mortfree
Posts: 1300
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by mortfree » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:58 am

CABob wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:13 am
Any suggestions would be appreciated especially experience with regard to special (which isn't special) circumstances which do not show up in the aid shop.
Depending on the level of your hearing loss, you may need to lower your expectations. they will not give you super hearing powers in a noisy environment (or elsewhere). One thing you could try with the hearing aids is to play around with the directionality functions. Also, if you are in a noisy environment be sure to sit with you back to a wall (if possible) and try to sit at the table where most of the conversation is directed towards your dominant ear. some HA's also have microphones that you can set at the table to help you even more.


HA's are not like glasses. Glasses let you see immediately and do not require any real "brain training". the opposite is true for hearing loss. they are an "aid". hearing still sucks.
Last edited by mortfree on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
onthecusp
Posts: 487
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by onthecusp » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:22 pm

Have had hearing aids for about 2 months now and just getting fully used to them. Instead of things sounding abnormally bright and "brittle" as they did at first, things sound "muddy" when I take them out.

Another vote for Costco. They have a variety of brands besides Kirkland and from what I gather if the first does not satisfy after some free adjustments, you could return them and try another. I don't think they will rotate you through them all, and I don't think that would help at any rate.

I've had detectable high frequency loss (from noise exposure) for about 20 years now. In the past few years it seemed to get worse (age effect) in that I was missing more conversations in both noisy and not noisy environments, and had problems understanding many TV shows without turning up the volume. TV is still an issue but less so and I can turn up my aids.

I also think going in with the understanding that my hearing still won't be perfect helps in the adjustment period. Everybody says "huh" once in awhile and no one can hear in certain restaurants these days. But I catch a lot more and am getting back to filling in the missing words as people with normal hearing do.

wrongfunds
Posts: 1890
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:21 am
Katietsu wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:22 pm
Do you have a spouse? Kids? Roommate? Lunch group? Poker group?

In my experience, they may be aware of your need for a hearing before you are.
Single and none of my friends have ever had to repeat. Only when in a noisy environment and they talk somewhat softly
do I request that they repeat. In private setting without a lot of background noise, I am fine.
I think hearing aid will NOT help you that much in noisy environment but they are great during regular environment. I am shocked how quiet and serene my office is when I forget to wear mine :-) But I do have severe loss in one ear and age related in another.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2301
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:59 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:30 am
If you have hearing loss in both ears, can it make sense to just get one (for simplicity) hearing aid?
Why would you do that? Binaural hearing greatly assists in location of the source as well as improved hearing.

Simplicity would be getting none. Cheaper and more convenient as well. But let's not get carried away with the BH's search for simplicity.

mariezzz
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by mariezzz » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:07 am

bradinsky wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:23 pm
The reality of it is, is that the longer you go without hearing well, the harder it is to recognize some words, after you are fitted with hearing aids. You tend to forget what they sound like, and it takes a moment to process the sound. People with profound hearing loss that go an extended period of time without hearing normal, many times require hearing therapy, after being fitted for aids.
It's not so much you forget what they sound like - the relevant neural pathways start to be lost without the relevant input, and the longer you go without the input, the more you lose (use it or lose it ). You might selectively lose input - more in some frequencies than others. Pathways don't come back completely when you get hearing aid - a degree of functionality may be recovered over time, but it's not as good as if you hadn't lost the pathways to begin with.

spectec
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:00 am

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by spectec » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:34 am

Great points in the previous posts. No matter how good the device, one must always remember they are getting a hearing aid, not a new ear.

A couple of things to mention about crowded spaces. My new HA's from Costco have a directional selection, initiated through the iPhone app. It is normally 360 degrees, but in restaurants or crowded spaces, I can narrow the directionality to focus on sound coming from directly in front of me, or widen the focus incrementally. Nothing will completely eliminate surrounding noise, but it helps. Sitting with one's back to a wall or window also helps, even without a hearing aid.

Also, many HA's offer a feature called "XPhone" or "Crosstalk"), which is very useful and practical. I can choose to connect both HA's so that sound entering my right (better) ear is transmitted electronically to the left HA as well. So if I arrange to sit with the majority of the important conversation coming from my right, I can activate this feature either by either pressing a rocker switch on the HA or by selecting it on the iPhone app. It helps tremendously, but it takes a little preplanning. It's also useful when using a landline phone and holding the receiver over the microphone on the right ear rather than pressed against the ear. (the process can be reversed for those with a good left ear and bad right ear). A limited version of this feature has been available with the higher-end "telecoil" equipped HA's for many years when speaking on a landline, but with the newer HA's it has more versatility at MUCH lower expense.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18779
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by dm200 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:59 pm
dm200 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:30 am
If you have hearing loss in both ears, can it make sense to just get one (for simplicity) hearing aid?
Why would you do that? Binaural hearing greatly assists in location of the source as well as improved hearing.
Simplicity would be getting none. Cheaper and more convenient as well. But let's not get carried away with the BH's search for simplicity.
Thanks. No "need" yet -- and I hope that is the case for a long time.

ScottyDog
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by ScottyDog » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:11 pm

Another very happy Costco hearing aid customer...great caring service...top of the line products available at a fraction of the cost of all other sources I looked into.

User avatar
mrc
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:39 am

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by mrc » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:30 pm

mariezzz wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:07 am
bradinsky wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:23 pm
The reality of it is, is that the longer you go without hearing well, the harder it is to recognize some words, after you are fitted with hearing aids. You tend to forget what they sound like, and it takes a moment to process the sound. People with profound hearing loss that go an extended period of time without hearing normal, many times require hearing therapy, after being fitted for aids.
It's not so much you forget what they sound like - the relevant neural pathways start to be lost without the relevant input, and the longer you go without the input, the more you lose (use it or lose it ). You might selectively lose input - more in some frequencies than others. Pathways don't come back completely when you get hearing aid - a degree of functionality may be recovered over time, but it's not as good as if you hadn't lost the pathways to begin with.
My 90 year old mom has had hearing aids for about 10 years. She has profound age-related loss as evidenced by the audiogram. Her newest pair wasn't the in-the-ear models she had before, but was a behind-the-ear to provide more amplification. We all noticed a difference in her ability to communicate. Up until about two years ago, her word recognition score (WRS) tested 100% in one ear, and about 60% in her 'bad' ear.

Mom became more withdrawn and disengaged socially. After a (belated) visit to Costco, we discovered the devices were plugged with wax, and should have been cleaned much earlier. Second, one of them had failed completely. Once the units were cleaned and the dead one replaced, Costco gave her a test. I watched the test and was pleased to noticed the audiogram curves from the current and previous (1.5 years before) test lining up well. Frequency detection hadn't fallen off much at all.

However, her WRS fell precipitously to 12% and 18%. The audiologist was visibly disappointed and concerned. I learned that day that after the prolonged disuse (from the wax and the failed aid), the brain "forgets" how to interpret speech. This most often happens when people that could use an aid don't get one soon enough. Moreover, no amount of speech therapy can regain what was lost. As as result, my mom's quality of life has deteriorated considerably. I was surprised to learn of this phenomenon.

I took a note to self as I age, to remain engaged, listen to conversations, obtain aides when they are indicated, and keep the units cleaned and tuned.

I would go to Costco if I needed aids without any reservation.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18779
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by dm200 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:01 pm

A big challenge, it seems to me is that as we age, our need for more sophisticated hearing aids increases - all while our ability to use/program these things goes down.

spectec
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:00 am

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by spectec » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:44 am

dm200 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:01 pm
A big challenge, it seems to me is that as we age, our need for more sophisticated hearing aids increases - all while our ability to use/program these things goes down.
That's exactly why it's important to get good quality HA's as soon as they are needed and learn to care for them properly. Their basic functions aren't very complex, and care & maintenance is more a matter of routine. Once the user learns the routine, it becomes a habit.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

wrongfunds
Posts: 1890
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:55 pm

Do any fancy hearing aid (aka MiFi Bluetooth compatible) allow Windows desktop PC to stream directly i.e. without using any external dongle but only the built-in bluetooth hardware capability of that PC? Oticon ON 1 glossies suggest it does but I could not find how to set it up. I have tried hearingtracker.com but did not come across procedure.

brandy
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:45 pm

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by brandy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:50 pm

As a result of reading this thread, I made an appointment w/Costco, 2 weeks from now. I also made the home remedy for earwax, though I did not think that was a problem. I had my ears checked a few years ago, and I wasn't aware of much change in hearing since then, and wax was not a problem then. The thread caught my attention because I am still getting over a cold, and it seems my ability to hear has suddenly decreased in my right ear.

So I mixed the home remedy and put it in my left ear (the worst one over years), and it seems that my hearing has improved, as is evidenced by tv volume. :oops: For months or longer, to hear/understand all words on the tv, I had to have the volume at 100. After one application in my lower hearing left ear, suddenly the tv, even at volume 40 is too loud. After one application in the right ear, a lot of the tv just seems too loud, and I often have the volume about 30.

I did one of the online hearing tests, the one at http://onlinetonegenerator.com/ and I could hear the tones. According to it, my hearing is age appropriate. But I am not only going to keep my Costco appointment, I'll make one at another place, and I will apply the drops for a few more days.
I am grateful to the OP for starting this thread and all the responders.

Scrapr
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 9:19 am

Re: When do you need a hearing aid

Post by Scrapr » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:26 pm

brandy wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:50 pm
As a result of reading this thread, I made an appointment w/Costco, 2 weeks from now. I also made the home remedy for earwax, though I did not think that was a problem. I had my ears checked a few years ago, and I wasn't aware of much change in hearing since then, and wax was not a problem then. The thread caught my attention because I am still getting over a cold, and it seems my ability to hear has suddenly decreased in my right ear.

So I mixed the home remedy and put it in my left ear (the worst one over years), and it seems that my hearing has improved, as is evidenced by tv volume. :oops: For months or longer, to hear/understand all words on the tv, I had to have the volume at 100. After one application in my lower hearing left ear, suddenly the tv, even at volume 40 is too loud. After one application in the right ear, a lot of the tv just seems too loud, and I often have the volume about 30.

I did one of the online hearing tests, the one at http://onlinetonegenerator.com/ and I could hear the tones. According to it, my hearing is age appropriate. But I am not only going to keep my Costco appointment, I'll make one at another place, and I will apply the drops for a few more days.
I am grateful to the OP for starting this thread and all the responders.
Yep. Wax makes a big difference. Mine builds up and I tend to forget that is an issue. About a week of drops & irrigation & I'm GTG

Post Reply