How to buy a mattress

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tc101

How to buy a mattress

Post by tc101 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:23 pm

I've slept comfortably on the same mattress for 15 years, but now it's time to buy another one. Any advice?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

livesoft

Re: How to buy a mattress

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Keep your mattress another 15 years and ask again then.

Our mattress is like new and it is 24 years old.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

tyrnup13

Post by tyrnup13 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:32 pm

Casper.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:39 pm

You will have lots of choices.

You do not need to spend $1,500 or $2,000 to get a quality bed.

There are numerous "bed in a box" manufacturers that allow you to try out a bed. Shipping and returns may not always be the easiest.

Brooklyn Bedding
Casper
Purple
Leesa
Saatva
Nectar
Tuft & Needle
etc.
etc.

Your biggest decision will be traditional, hybrid or full memory foam/latex.

Things seem to be swinging back to more hybrid (springs and memory foam/latex layers).

Some of the coolest designs have springs in the center and then layers of distinct memory foam and latex on each side so the mattress is flip-able.

Read reviews and browse sites and determine a price point and features. Many options. Too many.

Tempur-pedic and Sleep Number are over priced compared to other options these days. Although, they are being forced to be more competitive.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:51 pm

Negotiate negotiate negotiate!

Mattress profit margins are outrageous. If you decide to buy in the store, shamelessly ask for 30% off.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:58 pm

I (and many other family members) kept it simple (and cheap) and bought at Costco. You pick what size you want and that is it. We are all very happy with the comfort. If you are picky and want a real mushy or really firm mattress , then that probably isn't for you. It was a Sealy for around $600 with the boxspring.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:58 pm

I also vote "keep the old one." We had ours for about 25 years and only got rid of it since we moved. We'd flip it around about once a year.

As for the new one, I highly recommend Costco. Just find of the right size and take one from the top of the pile! We just bought a King size, $650. Feels great and didn't need to finance it, overthink it or go "mattress shopping."

Good grief, one would think you're buying a car or something..

bh7785

Post by bh7785 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:03 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:58 pm
I also vote "keep the old one." We had ours for about 25 years and only got rid of it since we moved. We'd flip it around about once a year.

As for the new one, I highly recommend Costco. Just find of the right size and take one from the top of the pile! We just bought a King size, $650. Feels great and didn't need to finance it, overthink it or go "mattress shopping."

To be fair though you do spend a 1/3rd of your life on it, so in many ways its more important than choosing a car. Many people are surprised how much better they can feel after getting a more suitable mattress - they just didn't know any different

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:03 pm

Buy online from a place with a 100 day trial. Easy as can be except for taking the old one to the dump or putting it out on the curb. No need to set foot in a store.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:04 pm

sunny_socal wrote:

Most people spend more time sleeping on their mattress than they do driving their car.
If you have trouble sleeping or back issues its worth spending time trying out various mattresses and finding the one that suits you.

mhc

Post by mhc » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:04 pm

I bought a new matress last year. I got it from Amazon. I read the reviews and found one that sounded reasonable. In a few days it showed up in a box on my front porch. DW and I like it. I don't have time to go to a store and lie around on different mattresses and then over pay.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:19 pm

Many of the online mattresses are designed to be laid directly on a platform bed without a box spring. If you have a bed frame that requires a box spring, or if you simply want the height provided by a box spring, you will often have to buy a “foundation” separately from the mattress.

Also, when you buy a mattress online, it will often be delivered by UPS, and you usually have to make your own arrangements for disposing of the old mattress and box spring.

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:22 pm

After a good amount of research, I developed a good way to buy a mattress earlier this year. It worked well for me and I recommend it, and I posted about it here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=249597

Buy a firm or very firm innerspring mattress. This does not have to be expensive, I got mine at IKEA for $300. Sleep on it a couple nights to find out if it is too firm for your tastes. Adding a 2 inch thick memory foam mattress topper can cost about $60 and will take your firmness to about medium. 3 inches would get you a very soft feel and would cost $100.

Now you have a mattress that won't hardly ever wear out- you can replace the topper as it wears- and was a good value and is easily adjustable in firmness depending on your preference. I also added a waterproof mattress protector sheet, this is probably overkill.
Be greedy and fearful. All the time.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:08 pm

mhc wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:04 pm
I bought a new matress last year. I got it from Amazon. I read the reviews and found one that sounded reasonable. In a few days it showed up in a box on my front porch. DW and I like it. I don't have time to go to a store and lie around on different mattresses and then over pay.
+1

jjface

Post by jjface » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:39 pm

My wife and I really like our saatva mattress. They are more expensive than mattresses in a box (caspar, tuft and needle etc) as they are traditional innerspring type mattresses combined with various foam layers. You buy online and they ship to you, set up and remove the old one. Definitely worth the extra expense. They have a 120 day comfort trial - if you don't like it you pay $99 and they pick it up.

If you didn't want to spend that much I'd go with costco or ikea or one of the mattresses in a box. Like someone else said if it is too firm get a topper to go on top.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:45 pm

jjface wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:39 pm
My wife and I really like our saatva mattress. They are more expensive than mattresses in a box (caspar, tuft and needle etc) as they are traditional innerspring type mattresses combined with various foam layers. You buy online and they ship to you, set up and remove the old one. Definitely worth the extra expense. They have a 120 day comfort trial - if you don't like it you pay $99 and they pick it up.

If you didn't want to spend that much I'd go with costco or ikea or one of the mattresses in a box. Like someone else said if it is too firm get a topper to go on top.
Does Saatva sell its own box spring as part of the mattress purchase?

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:52 pm

We purchased ours from Costco. Never saw it in person, never touched it in person...we just ordered and it arrived. Awesome bed, no complaints.

But then again we're not the type who pretend they know anything about a bed by laying on it for 5 minutes in the store then brag to our friends at starbucks about how awesome our bed is.

jjface

Post by jjface » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:07 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:45 pm
jjface wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:39 pm

Does Saatva sell its own box spring as part of the mattress purchase?
Yes you can buy their box spring (low profile or regular) as well as a frame or adjustable bases.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:37 pm

First - consider that you spend up to one third of your life sleeping (and maybe doing other activities) on your mattress.
I have traveled a lot on business in the last 30 years. The only reason I stay at nicer hotels is because they tend to have better mattresses.
Good mattress = good night sleep
Bad mattress = bad night sleep.
Maybe I'm just a snowflake.
But given my experience, when I want to buy a new mattress I'm not taking my chance on the warehouse store sale model. I want to try out what I'm going to be sleeping on. And yes - I can tell the difference within a few minutes of lying back on mattress.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:12 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:26 pm
Keep your mattress another 15 years and ask again then.

Our mattress is like new and it is 24 years old.
Yikes! I'm as cheap as they come and ours is only nine years but we've needed to put a 2" foam pad on top because how much the springs are felt through these days. Of course, it was only $299 for the mattress & boxspring at R.C. Willey. I can imagine springs literally poking out after 24 years.

OP, everyone is suggesting online, but I'd put a shout-out for the local big-box stores. Not only can you lay on it before you buy it, you can (possibly) haggle.

BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:12 pm

Purchased a mattress recently. I felt the best price I could negotiate on presidents day weekend was still high. I waited six weeks and called their 1-800 number. The same mattress was 30% less than the best price I could negotiate in February and they discounted it further. I evaluated a number of online beds but if visiting two different mattress showrooms taught me anything it that try before you buy. Mattresses I thought I would have liked online, I did not like once in the showroom. I would up going with a hybrid (half spring / half memory foam) and never though I would enjoy a hybrid. Best decision I made, very happy customer.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:39 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:12 pm
Yikes! I'm as cheap as they come and ours is only nine years but we've needed to put a 2" foam pad on top because how much the springs are felt through these days. Of course, it was only $299 for the mattress & boxspring at R.C. Willey. I can imagine springs literally poking out after 24 years.
All our mattresses are Sealy Posturepedic firm. We did buy a pillow top for one bedroom in 1994, but it was too soft and we exchanged it for a firm. The queen size mattresses were $300 delivered on sale. The mattress I've slept on since 1994 is just as good and as old as the identical mattress in the guest bedroom that rarely has anyone sleeping on it. I can't imagine a decent mattress with springs poking out of it.

I've slept in many fine hotel beds and still like my home mattress the best.

I wonder though if my comfort with firm mattresses is mostly a function of how much I weigh and how often I go sleeping outdoors in a tent.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:18 pm

Use Costco. Get a memory foam mattress.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:22 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
I (and many other family members) kept it simple (and cheap) and bought at Costco. You pick what size you want and that is it. We are all very happy with the comfort. If you are picky and want a real mushy or really firm mattress , then that probably isn't for you. It was a Sealy for around $600 with the boxspring.
+1.

Klangfool

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:42 pm

There is a ton of good information on the internet about various mattresses (at least the ones you buy online). Much of it is not objective, so I would focus less on what someone says is the "best" and more on understanding the properties of a particular mattress and whether it is a good fit for you.

I recently bought a Tuft & Needle and have been happy. Am sleeping much more soundly.

GuineaPig

Post by GuineaPig » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:48 pm

sunny_socal wrote:

Several years ago, I was deciding whether to get one of the memory foam mattresses at Costco. I couldn't find one on display, so I went to an employee and asked if there was one. I mentioned that I'd never had a memory foam mattress and didn't want to just buy a mattress in a box, sight unseen.

He looked at me and said that he himself had bought a mattress at Costco and returned it 18 months later. I was sold.

I bought the memory foam mattress... and returned it 9 months later. Way too soft for my taste. It's one of the only things I've ever returned there. I ended up getting another memory foam mattress at a yard sale, of all places, where I was able to confirm that the mattress was significantly stiffer.

The point of my story here is that Costco has a great return policy and it means you can take a chance on the mattress. I'm sure they build into their pricing the fact that some people will be dissatisfied, but that most people will be happy.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:57 pm

We used to always buy at Costco and before that Sam’s Club, but last time we needed one we bought a Leesa online and so far we are happy with it.
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:51 am

Far more important than the mattress is a good pillow. I get "back pain" if my head isn't aligned properly through the night but the mattress itself doesn't really matter. I sleep the same whether I'm in my bed, camping on a pad, camping in an RV, in a hotel, at someone's house.

I recommend the bamboo pillows from Costco, they come around a couple times a year. Or you can just google it and order online, price is about the same. It's firm without feeling like a brick (I'm a side sleeper.)

And a 'box spring' is a waste of space & money. What on earth is it for? We buy our beds at Ikea and they offer a couple variations for the frame. Never needed a box spring and I'd be sure to leave that particular item at the mattress store.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:51 am

In 1990 we bought a Sealy mattress at a large local furniture store for over $1000. We noticed that all stores we visited had different models of Sealy mattresses. We learned then that Sealy factories made to-order mattresses for furniture stores, so we could not compare between stores. That mattress then dented more than 1 inch after 1 year of use, we brought it back to the store, got it replaced with a new one, and that dented again giving me back pain. The store so it seemed maximized their profits, but not customer comfort. We did not go back to that store, wrote off that loss as learning experience.

We went to a store specializing in mattresses and bought a firm King size Englander mattress, and sleep well on it for about 25 years, except my wife likes it more plush and places blankets over her side.

NewPhoneWhoDis

Post by NewPhoneWhoDis » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:00 am

ponyboy wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:52 pm
But then again we're not the type who pretend they know anything about a bed by laying on it for 5 minutes in the store then brag to our friends at starbucks about how awesome our bed is.
wat?

squirm

Post by squirm » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:33 am

You need to go to the mattress stores and lie on the mattresses, that's what I do. I noticed most people just sit on it which isn't the best way imo. Last time mattress shopping my wife and I went, took our shoes off and laid down on many of the mattresses, then negotiated with the sales dude on the one we wanted.

noraz123

Post by noraz123 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:41 pm

I highly recommend checking out The Mattress Underground - https://www.themattressunderground.com/. It is a very good, independent mattress review website and forum. Think of it as the Bogleheads site for people looking to buy mattresses.

There is a wealth of information on Mattress Underground. Moreover, they don't recommend any mattresses for any one person, but they do compare the quality of the materials used by the various manufacturers. Their key point is to avoid the largest, national brands like Serta, Sealy, Simmons, Beautyrest, etc. They point out that for the same amount of money you can get a higher quality mattress from smaller manufacturers, or get the same quality mattress for less money.

As for other mattress review websites - beware. Many of the other mattress review websites are owned by mattress manufacturers (even if they started out as independent). The "battle of the internet mattress resellers" is a true battle - see here: https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/sle ... tress-wars

pennylane

Post by pennylane » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:51 pm

bh7785 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:03 pm
sunny_socal wrote:

To be fair though you do spend a 1/3rd of your life on it, so in many ways its more important than choosing a car. Many people are surprised how much better they can feel after getting a more suitable mattress - they just didn't know any different
+1

don't cheapen out on a mattress. Find one you like and Negotiate Negotiate Negotiate!

tc101

Post by tc101 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:24 pm

Several people have mentioned Costco. Can I get Costco to deliver the mattress, bring it in the house and set it up. If I have to return it, can I get them to come pick it up at my house?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:10 pm

It's been awhile since we've seen Warren Buffett sell a mattress:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF5LKpLPGrQ

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:40 pm

Highly recommend Saatva/Loom and Leaf.

teigers

Post by teigers » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:06 pm

All mattresses at the mattress store at marked up 100% (except for the lowest cost models). Buy yourself a good mattress, but don't buy unless you've haggled the price down to half.

elcassador

Post by elcassador » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:50 pm

I purchased a new mattress about a year ago after extensive research. I would firmly advise you to stay away from any online mattress from Casper, Purple, Lisa, Tuft and Needle, etc.

After hearing a number of great reviews about the ease and value of these new online, shipped-in-box mattress companies, I thought - why spend time haggling with a local salesman over an overpriced mattress? It was half the sticker price, memory foam, shipped to our door and a 100% money back guarantee. I thought it didn't make a lot of sense to purchase a mattress without laying on it, but figured I had nothing to lose.

The mattress came and after 30 seconds of laying on it I knew I would be returning it. First, it was rock hard. I wasn't looking for a pillow-top level softness, but it was very uncomfortable. While I understand this is a personal preference, it was labeled as plush yet felt like a park bench. I am 6'0" on the dot and I noticed that my feel were almost hanging off the bed. I measured the mattress and it was 2" short. I contacted the company and they said it is a mistake and and would send a replacement. I told them I would just prefer to get my money back. Two delivery guys came by to pick it up, which I appreciated. They commented that it was the fifth one this week they had picked up for a return. I must say customer service was excellent across the board, but the product was terrible.

I then went to mattress firm and haggled a nice, reasonable and infinitely more comfortable mattress. Was it more expensive? Yes. I tried to take a shortcut and it was a mistake. It was 100% worth spending time in the store to haggle and test out mattresses. "You get what you pay for" seems to be an applicable cliche.

rocket354

Post by rocket354 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:34 pm

I've tried a number of the bed-in-a-box companies. I thought all sold quality mattresses, although I'm a picky sleeper and so I did go through a few before settling on Purple. Note that memory foam always takes a little while to break in and soften. Purple and Casper were the softest out of the box, and the others took a couple weeks.

I did just buy a Zinus memory foam mattress for my guest room for under $200, shipped. I have no idea how long it will last, but it's actually pretty legitimately comfortable. So anyone looking for a budget option may try that. I do like their bed frames quite a bit.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:23 am

tc101 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:24 pm
Several people have mentioned Costco. Can I get Costco to deliver the mattress, bring it in the house and set it up. If I have to return it, can I get them to come pick it up at my house?
No, they don't deliver.

My parents bought one for my Grandma at Costco and had to return it. It was around 3 or 4 months old and they took it back. They had to bring it there themselves though. The mattress made her bed too high for her to get into comfortably since it was thicker than her old one, so that is something to consider.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:22 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:23 am
tc101 wrote:
No, they don't deliver.

My parents bought one for my Grandma at Costco and had to return it. It was around 3 or 4 months old and they took it back. They had to bring it there themselves though. The mattress made her bed too high for her to get into comfortably since it was thicker than her old one, so that is something to consider.
Sure they do. Their website is full of mattresses, the "free delivery" is just baked into the price. (Kind of like Amazon...) The same mattress is cheaper at the warehouse.

prudent

Post by prudent » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:43 am

A caution that no matter what one buys, be sure that what is delivered is the item you paid for. Just like the above poster who got the incorrect item delivered, I had a relative who bought in a chain store end up with a different mattress that what he bought (they delivered a much cheaper model).

Innocent mistake at the warehouse? Inattentive delivery person? Intentional deception? He'll never know but the store owner made it right after being called out on it, and blamed a careless delivery person for grabbing the wrong item off the truck... even though the delivered item had my relative's name attached to it. Maybe an innocent mistake, but I'm a bit more cynical. I think they sized up my elderly relative as a person who could be fooled.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:52 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:22 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
tc101 wrote:
No, they don't deliver.

Sure they do. Their website is full of mattresses, the "free delivery" is just baked into the price. (Kind of like Amazon...) The same mattress is cheaper at the warehouse.
That is Costco.com. And Costco doesn't deliver. They hire a third party carrier. When I ordered a large item from them it was delivered by Old Dominion.

head gamez

Post by head gamez » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:53 am

Our original mattress from when we got married lasted 14 years. It was a king size of whatever Sam's club sold at the time. We replaced it last year with another Sam's mattress. I couldn't stand the new one. We tried it for a month or so. We were in Costco one day and I saw a Reverie Road Show. Ordered on that day and it was delivered a few weeks later. It has been great! We are considering purchasing one for the beach as well.

We bought the bells and whistles... split top, adjustable base, etc. We are very happy with it, but it wasn't cheap!

https://www.costco.com/reverie-schedule.html

It came with "White Glove Delivery". We struggled for a week getting the delivery scheduled and them actually showing up, but once they did they were very professional.

Sam's took the other mattress back. They just required we wrap it in plastic (they provided the plastic) before taking it into the store.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:41 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:52 am
sunny_socal wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:22 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
tc101 wrote:
No, they don't deliver.

That is Costco.com. And Costco doesn't deliver. They hire a third party carrier. When I ordered a large item from them it was delivered by Old Dominion.
How is that different than any other big box store? All of them sub it out.

And if you have Lowes or HD "install" your appliances, that's also subbed out to someone else. (It's not someone employed by Lowes/HD.)

pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:12 pm

I purchased a mattress from Mattress Discounters, a brick and mortar retail franchise in my area. The price markups on the mattresses were outrageous. They would instantly take 15% off if you just said, "I am not sure if I want to buy today". Eventually we came to an agreement on a mattress for a price far lower than MSRP.

The mattress turned out to be sub par. I sought to return it. Mattress Discounters had a return policy where you could exchange it for another mattress if you weren't 100% satisfied. Before informing the sales person that I intended to do a mattress exchange, I first selected and negotiated a price on a new mattress. When I informed the sales person about my intent to do a mattress exchange, he rescinded the discount he offered on the mattress. On a mattress exchange, the price of the new mattress can not be negotiated, you have to pay the full, heavily marked up price.

So effectively, the customer doesn't receive full credit on a mattress exchange.

greenback

Post by greenback » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:25 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:51 pm
Negotiate negotiate negotiate!

Mattress profit margins are outrageous. If you decide to buy in the store, shamelessly ask for 30% off.
As HEDGEFUNDIE said, profit margins are outrages - this allows stores to offer no-credit financing! If you go in with cash, you can get a deep discount.
You shouldn’t retire until your money starts making more money than you made in your best year.