Flu shot reaction? Getting flu shot this year?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Guy42

Flu shot reaction? Getting flu shot this year?

Post by Guy42 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:26 am

Two years ago I came down with PMR (Polymyalgia Rheumatica) 24 hours after receiving my flu shot. Lots of joint pain. Needed heavy dose of steroid (prednisone) for weeks. After the fact found several medical research papers and anecdotal evidence linking flu shot to PMR. Did not have flu shot last year, am debating whether to have one this year. Of course I don't want to get the flu. But PMR can potentially be a crippling disease that could last a lifetime.

I am curious:
(1) Have you ever had a reaction to the flu shot?
(2) Are you getting a flu shot this year? If not, why not?

Thank you.

Mingus

Re: Flu shot reaction? Getting flu shot this year?

Post by Mingus » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:52 am

Had reaction to nearly every flu shot I was forced to take while active duty.

In before the lock.

katnok

Post by katnok » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:55 am

Have received one EVERY year for 11 years, and never had any reaction.

Please talk to your doctor for recommendations.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:01 am

outside of a rare sore bicep for a few hours, never had a reaction to a flu shot. Been getting them for years, as has my family.

But some people do have a reaction. Definitely ask your doctor first.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:04 am

Big Dog wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:01 am
outside of a rare sore bicep for a few hours, never had a reaction to a flu shot. Been getting them for years, as has my family.

But some people do have a reaction. Definitely ask your doctor first.
+1

My experience as well.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:15 am

Been getting flu shots for as long as I remember.
Already had mine this year.
No reactions, ever.

I had the full blown down flu once in my mid 20's. I don't wish to repeat that experience, if it's preventable.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:21 am

Never had a reaction to the flu shot. I have gotten a flu shot for many years now including just a week ago.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:25 am

Never had any sort of reaction, but I always make sure I'm feeling healthy (and have been well over any sickness) before getting mine.

Yes, we are all getting the quadrivalent version because my wife is pregnant.
dcabler wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:15 am
I had the full blown down flu once in my mid 20's. I don't wish to repeat that experience, if it's preventable.
Agreed - would never wish that on anyone.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:29 am

Never had a reaction.

To make this actionable. I get it done at Target since they give you a $5 gift card. Yes, that's right Target paid me $5 to get a flu shot. Easy money.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:32 am

I would probably avoid the flu shot too if I had developed polymyalgia rheumatica in response to a shot in the past. But that makes herd immunity all the more important for you, doesn't it? You should be encouraging the rest of us to get our shots.

For what it's worth, my pharmacist said people have complained a bit about the side effects of the shot this year, although I had no reaction to it whatsoever -- not even a sore arm. I get it at a Publix grocery store that gives you a $10 gift card with each shot. Take that Target!.

Mr400meterdash

Post by Mr400meterdash » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:33 am

It may be coincidental but I don't get a flu shot anymore because every year I did get the shot, I came down with a mild form of the flu or something similar which still took me out a couple of days to recover from. Haven't had the flu any of the years I did not get the shot.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:36 am

livesoft wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:21 am
Never had a reaction to the flu shot. I have gotten a flu shot for many years now including just a week ago.
+1

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:37 am

I've never had a serious reaction though I've gotten the shot every year for decades. As a person with reduced lung function I rely upon both the shot and herd immunity to reduce my odds of dying from influenza or influenza-related pneumonia. I also lost a dear friend to complications of the flu. So I advise people to get it unless advised not to by their doctor, and, even if they cannot, to help ensure all of their friends and family do.

Since you are concerned about a very specific and rare risk, there's no substitute for talking to your doctor.

TheRightKost87

Post by TheRightKost87 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:44 am

I have never gotten a flu shot in the past.

However, this year my company is offering $100 to employees for getting the shot on site. So sure, I'll let them inject me with influenza for $100 :wink:
"The problem with diversification is that it works, whether or not we want it to"

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:45 am

I don't get it every year, but have to this year with baby#2 on the way, and I feel like I have a cold the next day or two.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:51 am

2 years ago I was sick for almost 2 months. Couldnt shake it. Not sure if it was the flu but it sucked.

Last year I received the flu shot for the first time. I was lucky enough to avoid being sick. Ill be getting another one this year.

And yes...we get it. The flu shot only covers certain strains, they mutate and you can still get the flu, blah blah blah. If you do not think its a good idea to get the flu shot...dont get one. nuff said

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:56 am

Guy42 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:26 am
Two years ago I came down with PMR (Polymyalgia Rheumatica) 24 hours after receiving my flu shot. Lots of joint pain. Needed heavy dose of steroid (prednisone) for weeks. After the fact found several medical research papers and anecdotal evidence linking flu shot to PMR. Did not have flu shot last year, am debating whether to have one this year. Of course I don't want to get the flu. But PMR can potentially be a crippling disease that could last a lifetime.

I am curious:

Thank you.
I got mild Guillain-Barre from my first (and last) flu shot. My neurologist said to never get a whole list of vaccinations, and that if I did, each reaction would be worse.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:24 am

mmmodem wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:29 am
Never had a reaction.

To make this actionable. I get it done at Target since they give you a $5 gift card. Yes, that's right Target paid me $5 to get a flu shot. Easy money.
Even before it became mandatory at my (healthcare) workplace, my employer provided free flu vaccination.

Even before that, I started to seek out vaccination after a particularly nasty case of flu. Haven't had flu since, except something that hit me one July that I was assured wasn't flu (?!) but sure felt like it.

Have known people who had severe ongoing morbidity from the flu.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:31 am

DW and I get flu shots every year. No side effects experienced.

Last year, and this year, our Publix grocery store gives a $10 Publix gift card after shot is given. Our insurance pays all. And, if you have to pay, the shot is $25, but Publix gives you a free turkey up to 16 pounds (deal is thru 12/05/18). That should take some sting out of it.

I seem to recall hearing about another type flu shot, maybe more strains?

Having four elementary school age grandchildren who are at our house frequently, I am generally agreeable to vaccinations. There are a lot of nasty bugs out there! :shock:

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:35 am

Mr400meterdash wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:33 am
It may be coincidental but I don't get a flu shot anymore because every year I did get the shot, I came down with a mild form of the flu or something similar which still took me out a couple of days to recover from. Haven't had the flu any of the years I did not get the shot.
Unfortunately this happened to me too, and I just simply can not get them any more because I feel like I must psych myself into getting sick when I get the shot!
Local grocery store is giving away a gift card with flu shots , so spouse will get vaccinated there.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:39 am

I have a reaction about 3/4 of the time. Ranges from mild pain for a few days in the arm where the shot was recieved, to joint pain, "pins and needles" feelings, and sometimes numbness.

I still get it every year. I came down with a bad case while travelling on business once, and almost lost my job because of it!
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:40 am

Impossible to get the flu with the shot, you might have some side effects but it is not the flu.
Never reacted, get yearly.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:41 am

Never had a reaction. Never had the flu since getting the shot. I'll take my chances with a bad reaction rather than have the flu. YMMV.

JT

sciliz

Post by sciliz » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:46 am

Guy42 wrote:

I am curious:

Thank you.
Edited to fix calculation! Off by an embarrassing margin because of misreading a number, and also adjusted for inflation. General point remains.

*Searches pubmed.com for Polymyalgia Rheumatica*
Let's see, cost of flu in the US is 10 billion + 16 billion in lost wages = 26 billion , divided by 325.7 million people = $81/person
Cost of flu vaccine at Target is apparently $-5 (thanks mmmodem !)
Cost of polymyalgia rheumatica I can ballpark as $7,691 in 2002 dollars more for each patient = $10,950 * 711,000 patients in the US = 7.75 billion, divided by 325.7 million people = $28/person

Put another way, the treatment for severe PMR is steroids, which are cheap. The treatment for severe influenza is hospitalization, and antivirals, and often steroids as well, which costs more than just the steroids.

I think I'll get a flu vaccine!
Last edited by sciliz on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:46 am

mhalley wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:40 am
Impossible to get the flu with the shot, you might have some side effects but it is not the flu.
Incorrect.....the shot protects from strains selected based on past outbreaks. A strain not covered from the flu shot can occur. Just last year was a classic example, with the shot less than 40% effective.

I'm not advocating against getting a flu shot, just against bad information like you posted.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am

mouses wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:56 am

I got mild Guillain-Barre from my first (and last) flu shot. My neurologist said to never get a whole list of vaccinations, and that if I did, each reaction would be worse.
17 years ago I also had Guillain-Barre symptoms, with temporary paralysis on the shot side of my body (arm and leg). The neurologist couldn't find another cause, and I went for the next 12 years without getting a flu shot. I started annual shots again 5 years ago, with nothing more than mild soreness at the injection site.

dgm

Post by dgm » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:52 am

Rupert wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:32 am
But that makes herd immunity all the more important for you, doesn't it? You should be encouraging the rest of us to get our shots.
Great point! :D :D

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:54 am

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:46 am
mhalley wrote:
Incorrect.....the shot protects from strains selected based on past outbreaks. A strain not covered from the flu shot can occur. Just last year was a classic example, with the shot less than 40% effective.

I'm not advocating against getting a flu shot, just against bad information like you posted.
I think he meant it's impossible to catch the flu from the shot. I hear many people say they don't get the shot because the shot gave them the flu once, which is impossible. They either suffered side effects from the shot -- their immune system naturally reacted to it -- or they coincidentally caught some other virus, possibly even a strain of the flu not covered by the shot, around the same time.

LordB

Post by LordB » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:55 am

PMR isn't on the consent form for flu vaccine (at least the one I have seen). That said if you tell a nurse that you have had any bad reaction previously they will likely tell you to speak to your doctor before getting it.

My advice would be to talk to your doctor who should be more knowledgeable about the side effects and how likely they are to re-occur should you get the flu vaccine again. They can also give you an overview of what to look for and when to seek medical attention.

Anyways aside from a few aches I have never had any bad reactions.

Being a biologist I have to say getting the vaccine is a good idea. The risk/benefit analysis is done extensively for general vaccines such as the flu and come out well ahead. Getting the flu especially if you are older (~65+) is far riskier and deadlier than any of the very rare side effects the vaccine may have. You also help protect those that can't get the vaccine such as the very young and anyone with a bad immune system because you are less likely to get and pass it on to them.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:57 am

I don't take the vaccine because flu is a "real" disease to me. The downside from getting the flu is minor. The downside from vaccine, although rare, is major.
This ratio will probably change with age, in the next 20-30 years.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:59 am

bhsince87 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:39 am
I have a reaction about 3/4 of the time. Ranges from mild pain for a few days in the arm where the shot was recieved, to joint pain, "pins and needles" feelings, and sometimes numbness.

I still get it every year. EDIT TO CLARIFY: I still get the shot every year.

I came down with a bad case while travelling on business once, and almost lost my job because of it!
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Starfish wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:57 am
I don't take the vaccine because flu is a "real" disease to me. The downside from getting the flu is minor. The downside from vaccine, although rare, is major.
I am in the same camp. Got the flu once in the past 40 years and made it through OK.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:01 pm

neilpilot wrote:
mhalley wrote:

I think what he(?) was saying is that it is impossible for the actual HOT to give you the flu. Of course, you can still get the flu even with the shot.

I get it sometimes. Just forget to at times out of laziness. Never had a reaction.

My MD mentioned, and said this is purely anecdotal, that even those who get sick and have the shot, it seems like they have a much less likelihood of dying. Apparently they only measure such things with children, but with kids, roughly 60% of kids get flu shot, but 80% of kids who die don't get flu shot.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/u ... deaths.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/fluvaxview/cove ... imates.htm

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:01 pm

deleted
Last edited by bhsince87 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:02 pm

Always get the flu shot in the fall. Never any significant reaction or side effects. Have never gotten the flu. Same with my wife.

I read that last year, it was only 36% effective - but (to me) 36% is much, much better than zero.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:02 pm

deleted
Last edited by bhsince87 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:02 pm

We all get the flue shot - no one has had a reaction in 10+ years.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:02 pm

Starfish wrote:
The 10,000 to 50,000 who die from flu and related complications may disagree with your assessment.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:04 pm

neilpilot wrote:
mhalley wrote:

I guess I misread your post. It would have been clearer to me if you had posted "Impossible to get the flu from the shot".

head gamez

Post by head gamez » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:07 pm

I've never gotten a flu shot despite the company offering them for free and local stores offering gift cards to do it. Something about someone injecting me with a "virus" in the same conference room that I just had a particularly heated meeting the day before. Or even worse... the same place I shop for beer.

Have had the flu (or some variation of it) once though.... still not getting a shot in a conference room at work!

The wife and kids do every year....

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:08 pm

Guy42 wrote:

I am curious:

Thank you.
there have been case reports but nothing more than that.
up to you. please consider if you are around the elderly or small children.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:10 pm

JBTX wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:02 pm
Starfish wrote:
The 10,000 to 50,000 who die from flu and related complications may disagree with your assessment.
Yeah, also many people who lose money on credit cards or stock market would disagree with this forum, so it all makes sense.
Obviously I am talking about me, not the entire humanity.
I had flu several times in my life. Not pleasant but no biggie. I grew up my whole life without a vaccine (which was not available) and I have never heard of anybody dying from flu.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:12 pm

nvm.....

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:13 pm

Starfish wrote:
I think you have major and minor mixed up. I've gotten the flu before. That took me over a week to get over. And I mean a healthy mid 30 year old male could not get out of the bed sick. I thought it was a cold at first but when I had trouble breathing, that's when I got scared. A cold lasts a few days and it's uncomfortable breathing through a stuffy nose. The flu with its debilitating effects of weak muscles and difficulty breathing even through the mouth and lack of any appetite that subsists for a week or more. That's scary.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:17 pm

If you have that kind of reaction, get the vaccine by all means.
I think you got us mixed up :)

Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:17 pm

I get the shot every year, no side effects. I only wish my 32 y.o.daughter would get one every year as she came down with the flu and double pneumonia at the same time a few years ago. She spent 5 days in the hospital as she was extremely ill and could have died!
And she still doesn’t get the shot.... :(

MariaT

Post by MariaT » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:18 pm

Never had a strong reaction (knock on wood) except for a sore arm for a day or two after taking the flu shot for 24 years. I agree with others to get the shot when feeling healthy, no sniffles or lethargy.

I have a friend who took the flu shot and developed flu like symptoms and vowed never to take another one. My friend gets the flu every year but will rather suffer than meet with the flu needle.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:18 pm

There is a flu vaccine (quadrivalent vaccine) that offers more protection. It is costlier than the single vaccine flu shot. It was $75 at Publix, single vaccine was $25.

However, all the info I see says that it is a Medicare approved vaccine, and would be covered.

I contacted my insurance, and they said they follow Medicare guidelines, and our shots of the quadrivalent vaccine would be covered @ 100%.

Not sure if those UNDER age 65 are covered or not.

Anyone used the 4-1 (quadrivalent) vaccine yet? If so, any issues compared to the single flu shot?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:21 pm

Texgal17 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:17 pm

I get the shot every year, no side effects. I only wish my 32 y.o.daughter would get one every year as she came down with the flu and double pneumonia at the same time a few years ago. She spent 5 days in the hospital as she was extremely ill and could have died!
And she still doesn’t get the shot.... :(
darwin award winner right there.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:27 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:18 pm
There is a flu vaccine (quadrivalent vaccine) that offers more protection. It is costlier than the single vaccine flu shot. It was $75 at Publix, single vaccine was $25.

However, all the info I see says that it is a Medicare approved vaccine, and would be covered.

I contacted my insurance, and they said they follow Medicare guidelines, and our shots of the quadrivalent vaccine would be covered @ 100%.

Not sure if those UNDER age 65 are covered or not.

Anyone used the 4-1 (quadrivalent) vaccine yet? If so, any issues compared to the single flu shot?

Broken Man 1999
I got the quadrivalent at Publix. My insurance fully covered it even though I'm not over 65. No reaction to the shot at all.