another chromebook or?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
silentfaith

another chromebook or?

Post by silentfaith » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:14 am

my chromebook laptop has been great but does not do printing and it is a big hassle.
wondering about the new chromebook and if they have solved that problem.
black friday deals bring these laptops down to $100 so waiting for that.

mmmodem

Re: another chromebook or?

Post by mmmodem » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:21 am

If the issue was solved, it would be solved on your current chromebook as well. Perhaps it's time to upgrade to a cloud ready printer?

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:22 am

To solve the printing problem, you need a printer that supports Google Cloud Print. Then the printer is attached to Google, and you can print from any Chrome browser or Chromebook device.

As an alternative, you need to attach the printer to a PC that is running Chrome, and have that host the printer on Google Cloud Print.

Google Cloud Print is their printing solution. That's how they keep the footprint down and the devices speedy despite their low power and small CPUs. They're not building a big multipurpose operating system with drivers for everything.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:40 am

mmmodem wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:21 am
If the issue was solved, it would be solved on your current chromebook as well. Perhaps it's time to upgrade to a cloud ready printer?
This was going to be my reply.

Keep your Chromebook, buy a new printer that support cloud printing. A Brother/Wi-Fi printer will be less than a new Chromebook.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/brother-wo ... Id=6239806
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:35 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:40 am
mmmodem wrote:

Keep your Chromebook, buy a new printer that support cloud printing. A Brother/Wi-Fi printer will be less than a new Chromebook.

I'm amazed that Brother and Google can't get this known problem fixed. It's been years.

I have 2 Brother lasers, one at our home, the other at our condo. Both are cloud printers; both less than a year old. The home one works fine, but as recommended, its also supported by a Windows laptop that does the updates. My chromebook prints fine on that one.

The one at our condo worked fine with the chromebook, after days of setup using all the online resources of Google, Brother and others with printer problems. Then our Association changed all our routers and ... no cloud printing. Rather than spend days again, I ordered a USB cable and connect the chromebook to the printer when I need to print. Not elegant, but better than wasting time.

Seriously, How is it that two major tech corporations can't solve this issue?

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:15 pm

I don't do much printing, when I do, I print to .PDF files and email them or put them on a USB thumb drive. Some printers can print directly from a thumb drive.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

krafty81

Post by krafty81 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:57 pm

Agreed. I love my Chromebook but I cannot print from it!

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:47 am

heartwood wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:35 pm

This is a real problem, and a real impediment to using a chromebook as your primary computer. One solution that was suggested here on this forum: Save your print job to a pdf on a thumb drive. Plug the thumb drive into your printer and print off that. (Not all printers will allow this, but many do.)

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:43 am

My HP Envy printer is several years old and cost no more than $50. It prints via Cloud Print.

Not too expensive to rectify this solution.

Wings5

Post by Wings5 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:55 am

We added a Chromebook 3 years ago. Initially I was frustrated that we couldn't print. But after a few months we went essentially paperless.

I think that may be a hidden goal for Google. The more paperless, the more data storage they can profit from.

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:52 am

My wife prints off her chromebook to a HP laser all the time. I remember about 3 years ago, there were problems but not anymore.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:42 am

I don't understand this known issue you're referring to. I've had a Google cloud print capable Brother printer for about a year or so now. It prints easily from all my chrome books or Android phones. From any location.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:17 pm

heartwood wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:
mmmodem wrote:

I'm amazed that Brother and Google can't get this known problem fixed. It's been years.

I have 2 Brother lasers, one at our home, the other at our condo. Both are cloud printers; both less than a year old. The home one works fine, but as recommended, its also supported by a Windows laptop that does the updates. My chromebook prints fine on that one.

The one at our condo worked fine with the chromebook, after days of setup using all the online resources of Google, Brother and others with printer problems. Then our Association changed all our routers and ... no cloud printing. Rather than spend days again, I ordered a USB cable and connect the chromebook to the printer when I need to print. Not elegant, but better than wasting time.

If it worked before but it stopped working when you changed the router, methinks the router's firewall is blocking ports required by Google Cloud Print. Should be relatively simple to find a walk-through via Google search.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:12 pm

tuningfork wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:17 pm
heartwood wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:
mmmodem wrote:

If it worked before but it stopped working when you changed the router, methinks the router's firewall is blocking ports required by Google Cloud Print. Should be relatively simple to find a walk-through via Google search.
I appreciate your suggestion and wanting to assist. This is a known problem, just google it. It's not everyone's problem. Your "relatively simple" is a relative term, at least to me. I purposely underlined "days" in my post. I got my home Brother to print by using an old Win7 laptop to run the setup DVD at home.

Getting cloud print to work at our condo earlier this year took me days. I did no changes to ports at the time. I'd be happy to share the several Google Print and Brother page links that explain how to do it. I'm more than a little tech savvy (if I say so myself). All of our other connected devices work just fine on the new router, just like before: smart switches and outlets, android tv, several google home minis, etc.

I'd saved all the links I used to get it to work earlier this year. I tried that approach again, one time, at least an hour. That's when I stopped and bought the USB cable. It works. It was a $5.49 solution v. several hours or days that might or not work.

As others note, HPs, Canons, Epsoms, and other cloud printers work with Google Cloud Print. For some it works for Brother lasers. For others it does not. I'll rephrase, can't Brother do a work around? Can't Google do a work around?

Another half hour shot on their poor integration. Get the $5.49 cable and use the saved time as you will. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NH ... UTF8&psc=1