Out of warranty repair for a Braun toothbrush?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
knightrider

Out of warranty repair for a Braun toothbrush?

Post by knightrider » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:55 am

My 5+ year old Braun's toothbrush battery has died. It is not user-replaceable. There are youtube videos that say you can replace it, but the process is time consuming and complicated.

What are the odds that Braun will send me a new one if I mail them my broken one? I visited their website and they said "a quote will be sent to you for approval for out of warranty repair".. But are they really going to bother when they will likely have to send me a new one? And if they send me a new one, will it be free?

My experience is companies will send stuff like this for free even if it is out of warranty. But my experience is only based on a few data points ( binoculars and mp3 players )..

wrongfunds

Re: Out of warranty repair for a Braun toothbrush?

Post by wrongfunds » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:05 am

The cheapest new Sonicare costs $20; I will be surprised if Braun will fix a 5 year old toothbrush without costing you about that much money in shipping and handling even if they did it gratis.

riverguy

Post by riverguy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:13 am

knightrider wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:55 am
My 5+ year old Braun's toothbrush battery has died. It is not user-replaceable. There are youtube videos that say you can replace it, but the process is time consuming and complicated.

What are the odds that Braun will send me a new one if I mail them my broken one? I visited their website and they said "a quote will be sent to you for approval for out of warranty repair".. But are they really going to bother when they will likely have to send me a new one? And if they send me a new one, will it be free?

My experience is companies will send stuff like this for free even if it is out of warranty. But my experience is only based on a few data points ( binoculars and mp3 players )..
Why don't you buy a new one like any other person would? It's 5 years old...

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:15 am

knightrider wrote:
Braun is owned by P&G and they will bend over backwards to keep customers happy. Read some of their fine print - try it and if you don’t like, keep and we will refund 100%.

If it’s under warranty, I would...
- ask for a replacement with pre paid label and you will return old. (Can’t to weeks without a brush)
- buy the same model and return the old one claiming it doesn’t work.

Both cost the company the same, one happens in weeks, the other in a day.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:30 am

This is when I think a good old-fashioned phone call can't hurt. You could say you're surprised the battery only lasted 5 years, and see if they're willing to send you a new one. They will NOT ask for your old one back. Nobody wants your used toothbrush. If it's out of warranty, you can't really complain about bad customer service or bad products if they decline.

If they don't send you anything, go buy a new one. This isn't a life changing expense for you.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:31 am

Did you make sure your GFCI didn't randomly trip?

The only reason I ask is because my wife and I had our Oral B toothbrushes die within a few weeks of eachother after about 9 years. I figured the batteries must have gone bad and thought it was odd that they did so at such a similar time. When the new ones died after about a week or two it hit me that the GFCI which was in the guest bathroom must have tripped and sure enough it did.

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:36 am

riverguy wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:13 am
knightrider wrote:

Why don't you buy a new one like any other person would? It's 5 years old...
Agreed. Is there a need to coerce the manufacturer into replacing his old toothbrush?

knightrider

Post by knightrider » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:43 am

monkey_business wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:36 am
Agreed. Is there a need to coerce the manufacturer into replacing his old toothbrush?
Because it's annoying to spend $100+ to replace the toothbrush when it just needs a $10 battery.. The manufacturer should make batteries user replaceable..

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:05 am

The Braun warranty is for two years. If I was in this position, I would call the company, explain the situation, ask for a coupon if they didn't offer anything, and wait for Black Friday when the good models go on sale and usually have a mail in rebate. Make sure you can stack your coupon. Use a manual one in the mean time. I would not try to replace the battery because I wouldn't want to put something electrical that was no longer waterproof in my mouth. Nor would I buy a new one and try to return the old one. You might as well just grab it off the shelf and run out of the store.

MiddleOfTheRoad

Post by MiddleOfTheRoad » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:39 am

I like a good deal. I would even go out of my way to find deals. I think I am frugal. But this is pathologically frugal...

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:42 am

knightrider wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:43 am
monkey_business wrote:
Because it's annoying to spend $100+ to replace the toothbrush when it just needs a $10 battery.. The manufacturer should make batteries user replaceable..
The batteries are not user replaceable. If this makes you upset, I suggest you use a manual toothbrush instead.

Also, a new electric Braun toothbrush should cost $30-70. The ones that are $100+ don't brush any better but are full of extra gimmicks like screens to show you smiley faces when you brush and bluetooth integration for your phone (seriously).

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:43 am

My good man, buy thyself a new toothbrush. Surely you deserve it!

knightrider

Post by knightrider » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:50 am

monkey_business wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:42 am

Also, a new electric Braun toothbrush should cost $30-70. The ones that are $100+ don't brush any better but are full of extra gimmicks like screens to show you smiley faces when you brush and bluetooth integration for your phone (seriously).
Cheapest Braun one I've seen is $80.. Maybe I am not searching enough... Still not chump change to throw away because of a measly $10 battery .. In this day and age companies should be making environmentally sustainable products , not throw away things..

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:55 am

knightrider wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:50 am
monkey_business wrote:

Cheapest Braun one I've seen is $80.. Maybe I am not searching enough... Still not chump change to throw away because of a measly $10 battery .. In this day and age companies should be making environmentally sustainable products , not throw away things..
Is this cheaper than $80?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oral-B-Pro-5 ... N1EALw_wcB

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:59 am

Yikes, all the bashing with an old toothbrush. :mrgreen:
I am using a 10 year old Sonic Care toothbrush. The battery is not user serviceable because it is contained in a hermetically sealed environment. If you open it then moisture will get in the compartment. The batteries are charged wirelessly.

My battery is on its last legs. A few years ago it died but like you I did not want to give up my 5 year old friend. I dutifully placed the brush in and out of its charger for over a week as I recall. Meanwhile, I used a regular brush. I didn't sit there and do it. I just made charging and uncharging a couple of times my morning routine. At the end of the week, it finally took a charge and here I am. Basically the battery doesn't want to be completely discharged. I had taken it on a trip without the charger and ran out the battery after the third day. No more road trips for trusty tooth brush. :wink:

bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:12 am

:oops:

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:14 am

knightrider wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:50 am
monkey_business wrote:

Here you go:

$30 - https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Recharg ... B01AKGRP92
$50 - https://www.amazon.com/Pro-1000-Recharg ... B01AKGRTUM
$70 - https://www.amazon.com/CrossAction-Elec ... B075CPK9RX

Also, consider:

$0.67/brush and no batteries - https://www.amazon.com/Smile-360-Clean- ... B078T1S317

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:06 pm

monkey_business wrote:
knightrider wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:43 am
monkey_business wrote:
The batteries are not user replaceable. If this makes you upset, I suggest you use a manual toothbrush instead.

I replaced the battery on my (circa 2011) Oral B/Braun/Gillette/Proctor&Gamble toothbrush. The battery cost about $6 on Amazon and I bought a larger capacity battery (longer) than the original one. I really like the particular model I have (no longer made). However its battery didn't last as long as my previous 1998 toothbrush which I used until 2011 (and was still working okay).

It is an involved process, simple if you are handy and know how to solder. If you don't have tools, it would not feasible to replace. Apparently the same model toothbrush uses either a shorter or longer battery. I bought the longer one, and ended up having to modify my unit to accept it (I appreciate the added capacity but had to shorten the spring), because as luck had it mine came with shorter one.

The NiMH battery has toxic materials and should NOT be thrown out in the trash with the toothbrush, whether your trash is burned in an incinerator or dumped in a landfill. Oral B/Braun provided an easy way to remove the old battery....just use the charging base as a tool to open the bottom of the toothbrush. Pull out the battery (no need to worry about breaking anything since you're throwing it away). Take the old battery to Lowes, Home Depot, or your favorite hazardous waste collection area.

The toothbrush handle bottom has a small icon of a trash can that is crossed out to symbolize it should not be thrown away. It is easy to miss this important detail. Manufacturers should clarify when their devices should not be thrown away and make battery access easier.