Uniters “worry no more” furniture warranty added to price without me knowing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DoctorPhysics

Uniters “worry no more” furniture warranty added to price without me knowing

Post by DoctorPhysics » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:23 am

Bought a new couch yesterday, the retailer slipped in a 500 dollar 5 year “worry no more” extended warrranty in there. I did not see this because they had rung up the sale so fast and didn’t show me or discuss it with me.

I looked up the warranty and the company, they have over 500 complaints on BBB website, many more on social media. They apparently do not honor the extended warranty.

I am quite peeved they slipped that in there.

I am going to visit the retailer later today to get this removed. I haven’t taken delivery of the couch, and won’t expect to do so for a month as it is back ordered.

Here is how I see it, I will ask to speak with a manager, ask to have the warranty refunded.

My game plan is to escalate it if they do not refund it.

1. Ask nicely
2. Get the credit card company involved and possibly cancel the order all together.
3. BBB for deceptive practices
4. Consumer fraud?
5. Anything else?

Have you guys experienced this before and how did you deal with it?

PFInterest

Re: Uniters “worry no more” furniture warranty added to price without me knowing

Post by PFInterest » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:45 am

DoctorPhysics wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:23 am
I did not see this because they had rung up the sale so fast and didn’t show me or discuss it with me.
you signed it, i think the CC company technically doesnt have to do anything. obvi ask anyways.

DoctorPhysics

Re: Uniters “worry no more” furniture warranty added to price without me knowing

Post by DoctorPhysics » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:59 am

I have the right to cancel the order no issues there.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:03 am

Cancel the entire order and resume shopping.

DoctorPhysics

Post by DoctorPhysics » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:21 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:03 am
This is definitely an option 🤔

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:18 pm

DoctorPhysics wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:21 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
I wouldn't even ask. I was notify them you want to cancel the order.

When they ask why...tell them they have deceptive business practices...

simply say you reviewed the order after they rushed you thru it and did not explain the details and you notice they charged you $500 for this and you never asked for or agreed to it.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:17 pm

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:18 pm
DoctorPhysics wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:21 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
I wouldn't even ask. I was notify them you want to cancel the order.

When they ask why...tell them they have deceptive business practices...

simply say you reviewed the order after they rushed you thru it and did not explain the details and you notice they charged you $500 for this and you never asked for or agreed to it.
This. Repurchase from some other store.

DoctorPhysics

Post by DoctorPhysics » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:18 pm

I asked nicely, they refunded it within 2 minutes :)

Laren

Post by Laren » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:20 pm

I'd want to cancel the order and shop elsewhere, but first make sure that the order isn't subject to some nonrefundable deposit, restocking fee or other penalty. Given their deceptive practices, I could see them trying to keep part of the money even though they say the order is cancelled.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:36 pm

The Chevy dealer tried to do something like this when I bought my Silverado some years ago. They slipped a bed liner into the order without telling me, but I caught it before I signed the contract. She said they always include the bed liner because she knew truck owners would need it. I told her I'd be getting a bed liner for about half their price when I get the cap. She took it off the order.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.