Ripped off by a locksmith

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
toofache32

Re: Ripped off by a locksmith

Post by toofache32 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:07 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:56 pm
Pacman wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:50 pm
Thegame14 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:10 pm
at our vacation home, we accidentally closed a locked door and left the house, the handle on the inside turns even though the outside is locked. It was around 10PM. Called a local locksmith, he said someone would be there within 25 minutes and price would be between $100-$150 depending on how long it takes to fix. I call an hour later and ask where the guy is, I am told he will call me back. I get a call 15 minutes later from the technition and he says he was sleeping and the dispatcher didn't wake him up. He finally shows up an hour and a half later then the original call, uses a piece or plastic, (I tried a credit card, but there is a border around the door so it needed something to bend around a corner), and within 10 second opens the door, asks me to sign on his app, I ask what is the fee he says $150. I said I was told $100 if it was quick and you have been here no more than 30 seconds, and he says it is what it is. I sign and then get an email saying the bill is $177.50 he added an additional 15% "tip" that I didn't know about. I contacted CC company and disputing the $77.5 but even debating if I should dispute more for showing up so late. He also had a bad attitude, I told him this was an issue being late since we have a 3 year old and wife is pregnant he said it isn't his fault he was sleeping and dispatch didn't wake him, well it is someone's fault.... not mine...

Should I call the company of just let the CC chargeback run its course?
If you dispute for more than 15% tip, then you are the one doing the ripping off. What if you had an incompetent locksmith that showed up who was learning on the job and took 3 hours to finish - would this person deserve a higher fee?
so then companies can lie about their prices over the phone and you think that is ok. Good to know...I would love to see you get a quote from a contractor for your house and when the bill is 50% more you will gladly pay it....
When does that NOT happen with a house contractor? Such a twisted industry.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:10 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:51 pm
they said $100-$150 depending on difficulty, he literally spent 5 seconds to run the piece of plastic up the crack in the door to open, and was at the house less then 2 minutes. so I think that would be the lower end of difficulty.
As someone in another procedure based business, I will say that difficulty has ZERO to do with how long it takes.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:11 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:12 pm
....he was literally there for 30 seconds including in and out of car and walking to door, so it should have bene $100, now why did I sign for it.
If it was so quick and easy then why didn't you do it yourself?

jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:14 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:56 pm
Pacman wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:50 pm
Thegame14 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:10 pm
at our vacation home, we accidentally closed a locked door and left the house, the handle on the inside turns even though the outside is locked. It was around 10PM. Called a local locksmith, he said someone would be there within 25 minutes and price would be between $100-$150 depending on how long it takes to fix. I call an hour later and ask where the guy is, I am told he will call me back. I get a call 15 minutes later from the technition and he says he was sleeping and the dispatcher didn't wake him up. He finally shows up an hour and a half later then the original call, uses a piece or plastic, (I tried a credit card, but there is a border around the door so it needed something to bend around a corner), and within 10 second opens the door, asks me to sign on his app, I ask what is the fee he says $150. I said I was told $100 if it was quick and you have been here no more than 30 seconds, and he says it is what it is. I sign and then get an email saying the bill is $177.50 he added an additional 15% "tip" that I didn't know about. I contacted CC company and disputing the $77.5 but even debating if I should dispute more for showing up so late. He also had a bad attitude, I told him this was an issue being late since we have a 3 year old and wife is pregnant he said it isn't his fault he was sleeping and dispatch didn't wake him, well it is someone's fault.... not mine...

Should I call the company of just let the CC chargeback run its course?
If you dispute for more than 15% tip, then you are the one doing the ripping off. What if you had an incompetent locksmith that showed up who was learning on the job and took 3 hours to finish - would this person deserve a higher fee?
so then companies can lie about their prices over the phone and you think that is ok. Good to know...I would love to see you get a quote from a contractor for your house and when the bill is 50% more you will gladly pay it....
After seeing this response, I won't be reading any more of this thread. You need to chillax.

whomever

Post by whomever » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:42 pm

"uses a piece or plastic ... and within 10 second opens the door, "

Your lock isn't installed correctly :-(. I'd add a deadbolt and for the existing lock adjust the strike plate so the little half round bar doesn't go down in the hole.

A burglar can get in just as easily.

(We buried a key in a baby food jar in a corner of the garden, over a foot down. It's deep enough a burglar won't find it by accident, but shallow enough I can dig it out with a stick faster than a locksmith will arrive :-) )

pennylane

Post by pennylane » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Shouldn’t it be $150 if he opens it fast, $100 if it takes him awhile?

You want to pay him less because he was fast and efficient?

You signed and agreed to the charges, not much you really have to fight for

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:51 am

You agreed to $150 by signing it sounds like(?). Are you sure the tip wasn't on what you signed? Did you look carefully?
You shouldn't have signed if you didn't want to put the 150 - should have had him call the office for the quoted price. Sounds like you might be able to dispute the 27.50 but you are supposed to call them and ask for it back before disputing through your credit card. I bet the company will happily refund your tip if you call them (unless you signed for it).

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:36 am

If it makes you feel better, I got locked out of my house years ago because the power went out and I couldn't open my garage door. We took what we thought was a quick family walk. Called around to get the best locksmith price. Maybe power would come back on, but wife and baby wanted in the house soon. After agreeing on price, guy gets there. He tries my front door and back door. After maybe a half hour, he gives up and drills a hole through my back door deadbolt before I realize what he's doing. So he just brute forced my deadbolt off with a drill. He had the gall to say that because he had to drill through the deadbolt, it would cost me 50 more than the agreed price. I told him he could either take the agreed upon price in cash, or I would pay with a credit card and dispute the charge after calling his boss. He took the cash. Cost me time and money to get a new deadbolt and get it rekeyed though.

I did learn my lesson though. I got an electronic lock I can unlock with phone or keypad. It works on battery in case power goes out. Can it be hacked? Maybe. But apparently you can also just drill through the deadbolt anyway...

Atgard

Post by Atgard » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:00 am

I have learned the hard way, if a company gives a range of prices, expect the highest end of the range, always. Just visited an urgent care center, cost was supposed to be $89-$129. Was in and out, 12 minutes total. Of course bill was for $129, says "new customer" (I'm not) "extended visit" (it wasn't). Called and they said too bad so sad, we said it could be up to $129.

Looks like other industries are learning from the very lucrative health care pricing model!

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:04 am

Gadget wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:36 am
I did learn my lesson though. I got an electronic lock I can unlock with phone or keypad. It works on battery in case power goes out. Can it be hacked? Maybe. But apparently you can also just drill through the deadbolt anyway...
It takes more sophistication to hack a keypad than to drill a deadbolt. Unless you have the fanciest house on the block, someone who knows how to hack a keypad likely has more lucrative targets.

dowse

Post by dowse » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:16 am

Does anyone else believe that a tip for a locksmith (or any other type of service provider) is inappropriate regardless of the quality of service? It would never occur to me to tip.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:23 am

I'm betting the tip is because the guy that came out ran the OP's cc using Square plugged into an ipad/iphone to process the payment. Lots of small businesses are using Square these days, including restaurants. Since Square is a one size fits all device, there is an option to tip before you sign. It's likely that the guy simply touched the default tip percentage button before advancing to the next screen where the OP "signs" his name using his finger on the device. The tip is really a non issue since the owner has already agreed to waive it.

Me personally, I'd probably tip a guy that I had to wake up to come let me in my house, but I get that others wouldn't.

This whole thread is a big overreaction. $150 for a late night service call is not being ripped off and easily avoidable.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:04 am

OP,

What rip off? You had an emergency at 10 pm and the guy helped resolve it.

Just because it was a 30 second job does it mean it was easy? Thats a ridiculous conclusion.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:08 am

gotester2000 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:04 am
Just because it was a 30 second job does it mean it was easy? Thats a ridiculous conclusion.
I agree. My grandfather worked with his hands, and he once told me "People don't pay me to turn the screw, people pay me to know exactly which screw to turn."

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:10 am

Gadget wrote:
If it makes you feel better, I got locked out of my house years ago because the power went out and I couldn't open my garage door. We took what we thought was a quick family walk. Called around to get the best locksmith price. Maybe power would come back on, but wife and baby wanted in the house soon. After agreeing on price, guy gets there. He tries my front door and back door. After maybe a half hour, he gives up and drills a hole through my back door deadbolt before I realize what he's doing. So he just brute forced my deadbolt off with a drill. He had the gall to say that because he had to drill through the deadbolt, it would cost me 50 more than the agreed price. I told him he could either take the agreed upon price in cash, or I would pay with a credit card and dispute the charge after calling his boss. He took the cash. Cost me time and money to get a new deadbolt and get it rekeyed though.

We are still old school ... have an extra set of keys hidden in the back yard.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:55 am

Sad the OP doesnt recognize the fact they THEY screw up by locking themselves out. Lesson learned. Chalk it up as a loss. Take responsibility for your actions. This entitled society is going too far imo. This should have been a learning lesson but instead you put the blame on someone else.

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:59 am

ponyboy wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:55 am
Sad the OP doesnt recognize the fact they THEY screw up by locking themselves out. Lesson learned. Chalk it up as a loss. Take responsibility for your actions. This entitled society is going too far imo. This should have been a learning lesson but instead you put the blame on someone else.
And the locksmith doesn't have to take responsibility for promising a 25 minute wait time and then falling asleep and not showing up for almost 2 hours and a price or $100 if they job isn't difficult then charging $150 plus a 15% tip that was never mentioned and yes 10 seconds of using a piece of plastic isn't difficult.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:23 am

Thegame14 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:59 am
ponyboy wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:55 am
And the locksmith doesn't have to take responsibility for promising a 25 minute wait time and then falling asleep and not showing up for almost 2 hours and a price or $100 if they job isn't difficult then charging $150 plus a 15% tip that was never mentioned and yes 10 seconds of using a piece of plastic isn't difficult.
If you couldn't do it yourself, it required specialty knowledge and/or equipment.

The tip was waived, you signed off on the $150 charge at the time of service.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:41 pm

I was charged about the same (maybe 120$?), but at earlier hours, for unlocking the car after locking the keys in the trunk in the supermarket parking lot.
I get that is the price for an emergency (not repeated business) and driving 1h back and forth. It is the same with the shark tow trucks.
I bargained by having cash. It would have been more expensive with a credit card.
I knew exactly how to open the car and I knew it was easy. But I was 30 miles from home and in a hurry.

When I locked outside my house I just used the open window and a ladder from the yard. I had to know out the mosquito net. The window was small so I used my 5 year old.

The complaint that "it was quick" is what amazes me though. Why on some services you pay more to make it quick and on others you feel that you should pay less? Quick means better service, faster professional. I just don't get. Quick is what I want!

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:04 pm

Starfish wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:41 pm
I was charged about the same (maybe 120$?), but at earlier hours, for unlocking the car after locking the keys in the trunk in the supermarket parking lot.
I get that is the price for an emergency (not repeated business) and driving 1h back and forth. It is the same with the shark tow trucks.
I bargained by having cash. It would have been more expensive with a credit card.
I knew exactly how to open the car and I knew it was easy. But I was 30 miles from home and in a hurry.

When I locked outside my house I just used the open window and a ladder from the yard. I had to know out the mosquito net. The window was small so I used my 5 year old.

The complaint that "it was quick" is what amazes me though. Why on some services you pay more to make it quick and on others you feel that you should pay less? Quick means better service, faster professional. I just don't get. Quick is what I want!
how quick it is, is in relation to the quote of $100-$150 if it is a difficult job. I assume by difficultly level he meant, the more difficult it is, the more time the tech has to spent then the price is higher, ie if he is there for 5 minutes it is $100, if he is there for an hour $150. That is why I commented on how quickly he was there, is because the range of the quote was based on how much time he spent on the job, so the faster he was, the cheaper end of the range it should be.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:04 pm
I assume by difficultly level he meant, the more difficult it is, the more time the tech has to spent then the price is higher, ie if he is there for 5 minutes it is $100, if he is there for an hour $150.
You shouldn't assume.

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:27 pm

OP, you need to get past this.

Your phone call was an estimate not a quote, it isn't binding.. You should have obtained a written quote before the work was started. You agreed to a non binding estimate.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:55 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:10 am
Gadget wrote:

Did you ever watch that show "It takes a thief"? I don't think it's on anymore. A former thief turned good made a show where he would get willing people and tell them he'd break into their house sometime in the next few weeks or so. He'd bypass alarms, climb up to windows. It always amazed me at how fast he would find spare keys at most of these homes. Everyone thinks their spare key is hard to find. Yet he'd go in, look over the place in 30 seconds, and find it almost instantly. And he'd have the most valuable stuff taken before the cops ever came. It probably had to be partially staged so real cops didn't come to a fake TV show, but it was still eye opening.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:21 pm

Gadget wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:55 pm
GoldStar wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:10 am
Gadget wrote:

Did you ever watch that show "It takes a thief"? I don't think it's on anymore. A former thief turned good made a show where he would get willing people and tell them he'd break into their house sometime in the next few weeks or so. He'd bypass alarms, climb up to windows. It always amazed me at how fast he would find spare keys at most of these homes. Everyone thinks their spare key is hard to find. Yet he'd go in, look over the place in 30 seconds, and find it almost instantly. And he'd have the most valuable stuff taken before the cops ever came. It probably had to be partially staged so real cops didn't come to a fake TV show, but it was still eye opening.
I agree my keys would be relatively easy to find but I have no concerns with this. We live in a relatively crime free town. One year there was a string of robberies but finding keys or breaking in wasn't necessary - the thieves simply went around looking for open windows and unlocked doors - enough folks in town don't lock their doors it was easy pickings. They even stole a purse out of an unlocked car - woman would simply leave her purse in her unlocked car while it sat in the driveway overnight. The town brought in extra police surveillance teams and helicopters and caught the pair after a period of time but point is - thief wont waste time looking for my keys - they will go to my neighbors house since he leaves his front door unlocked.

nhdean

Post by nhdean » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:45 pm

well it is someone's fault.... not mine..

It is your fault, you got locked out.

Afty

Post by Afty » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:47 pm