Dark stain wood floors

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
crockpotinvesting

Dark stain wood floors

Post by crockpotinvesting » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:02 pm

DW wants to stain the floors dark, Ive heard from others this can be a mistake due to scratches. I was curious what the boggles had to say.

PS- no pets 😁

gclancer

Re: Dark stain wood floors

Post by gclancer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:05 pm

My dark stain wood floors have TONS of visible scratches. Waiting on the offending parties to move out before refinishing. Have no idea if the dark stain is to blame for the level of visabilty but it’s a data point for you.

smudge

Post by smudge » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:44 pm

My current dark stained oak shows all light colored lint, dirt ,and dust.
My previous floor was light stained white oak and never showed any dust or dirt.

SixAlpha

Post by SixAlpha » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:08 pm

We have dogs and their claws are making a mess of the dark stained floors. They’re not scratchers... just wear from normal doggie activities like jumping on/ off furniture. Might be a cheap stain job, but IMHO a lighter stain would have shown the scratches less.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Our dark stained floors look great. We have kids,no pets. I love medium to dark floors. We also have someone clean every other week which is often enough. I think it’s the people with pets who have the issue.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:43 pm

Very dark stain seems to be an "in" thing now.

There is a risk that it will look pretty dated in five or ten years.

At least she does not want gray which also seems to be trendy but I would think gray which would be shorter lived.

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:46 pm

Due to less reflectivity, a room with a dark floor may appear to be darker. Just something to consider.

FGal

Post by FGal » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:21 pm

I have a deep brown hickory floor matte finish (it's got a sheen to it, but definitely NOT glossy). Had it put in about 10 years ago. It is beautiful.

It is also a pain in the ass to keep looking beautiful.

Every speck of dust, cat hair, human hair, whatever... super easy to see. Scratches are not as bad, but I can see them when the light hits a certain way, and anything deep is REALLY obvious. I dropped a 10 pound dumbbell in my dining room, and despite trying every possible dent removal trick in the book, it's there, mocking me every time I walk by.

Seriously lovely to look at, but dark floors are the devil unless you love cleaning every day.

Next house is going to be polished/distressed concrete or wood look ceramic tile in a medium/light shade.

mrc

Post by mrc » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:59 am

OnTrack wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:46 pm
Due to less reflectivity, a room with a dark floor may appear to be darker. Just something to consider.
Dark surfaces make the room look smaller too.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:43 am

crockpotinvesting wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:02 pm
DW wants to stain the floors dark, Ive heard from others this can be a mistake due to scratches. I was curious what the boggles had to say.

PS- no pets 😁
We had ours redone about 2 years ago. Didn't have a dog at the time.

DW wanted dark. Refinishers (and I) lobbied hard against it. They said it would show scratches and they wouldn't warranty it. Even without a dog, they said kids and traffic would make it look poor after a short period of time. Instead we went basically clear/neutral on the floors and had all of our doors, stair railings, etc. stained a darker color and had all trim painted white. It looks amazing.

Now we have a 70 lb puppy. And he is doing a number on the floors. They don't look terrible unless you get up close. Had they been dark stained, they would look like trash.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:47 am

Our 1998 home is filled with "honey oak". Not the "in" color.

Not changing. Maybe in the next 10 years "honey oak" will be back in favor. :wink: :o I kind of doubt it though.

In my experience changing from a lighter to darker stain is tough as the light stain is still there and the wood never accepts the darker stain fully. Unless you can completely sand through the old stain.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:19 am

Our current home has very dark "engineered" hardwood floors and they show every imperfection, particularly all the marks from the dog's claws. I would not do dark again but maybe a light/grayish walnut color.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:28 am

It only took a few days for scratches to show up when we refinished with a darker stain. I can run the vacuum 23.45 hours a day and those 15 minutes not running will show a shocking amount of dust and pet fur. If I had to do it over (which I probably will sooner rather than later), I would go with a dark wood-look tile with a heating element underneath. I would rather be doing things other than filling and coloring scratches.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:44 am

My buddy and I got flooring installed about the same time. He went dark maple and I went gray wire brushed oak.

While his looks great, he had to run the roomba every single day. They go barefoot in the house and have responsible teenage girls.

I have a dog and 2 kids under 4. The common spaces are a mess 48 hours after the cleaners leave, with food particles, dog hair, and sand. None of this is visible over the gray oak. I personally like this finish a lot, but a few of my friends mentioned it looks unfinished.

But we have gray walls and it goes very well with the house. If you have beige walls it will not look good.

donall

Post by donall » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:02 am

Our house was originally built with the dark oak floors and loads of gorgeous woodwork. We have both polyurethane in an area of the house and traditional wax in another part. If noticeable scratches appear, we just clean the scratch with a solvent and then add stain and wipe. Let dry and then cover with wax and buff. We are not obsessive about the dust. A Roomba helps as well as having Dogs with dark hair. If I had a choice I would go with a light floor color and light colored pets as long as the house style allowed it.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:15 am

Watty wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:43 pm
Very dark stain seems to be an "in" thing now.

There is a risk that it will look pretty dated in five or ten years.
I lived in a house with dark stained floors done in the 1920s. I liked them a lot. One cat household.

I could care less what someone thinks is dated.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:39 am

Let me pile on.

If you care about the appearance of cleanliness, do not get dark floors unless you really like pulling out the vacuum.

rainyday1

Post by rainyday1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:25 am

I HATE our dark floors. They look great the day they are finished and pretty much never again. Dust, crumbs, grass, scratches, dents, everything shows on them. About 20 seconds after I put the vacuum away, they look filthy.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:59 am

Got our entire house refinished with an Ebony stain - almost black. With dogs and kids, it shows every scratch and piece of dust like mentioned above.

I love them and will refinish with the same color in the future.

Cash

Post by Cash » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:28 am

SixAlpha wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:08 pm
We have dogs and their claws are making a mess of the dark stained floors. They’re not scratchers... just wear from normal doggie activities like jumping on/ off furniture. Might be a cheap stain job, but IMHO a lighter stain would have shown the scratches less.
+1, especially on the stair treads. Plus now my dog has started "digging" on the floor :oops:, so we have to keep a constant eye on her whenever she is in a room with wood floors...

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:34 am

We just bought a new house, has dark wood floors. It looked beautiful when we previewed the home.

Every time we take the dog out for a walk he gets excited and does a "shake" in the hallway. *Poof*, hundreds of hairs fly off. Our house is a mess!

Weill be buying lots of carpets to cover up the wood floor. :|

A medium shade of "wood" tile is probably a good way to go if you have kids/pets.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:52 am

If you go with a distressed look on dark oak engineered planks you can fill in any minor scratches and dings with a black marker pen (or other products you can buy that cost more). Of course with distressed you also can't refinish. Maple more often has a smooth finish. I'd avoid softer woods especially Acacia that take dark stain better. A family member has dark stained Acacia with two young kids and a dog. It looked horrible in less than a year.

We went with porcelain wood plank on our slab foundation. It's a medium grayish brown not too unlike the color of the oak floors my grandmother had in her 1915 beach house with a floor that was never refinished. Not too dark, not too light, not too brown, not too gray. No gold, orange, pink, red, or green. I think the color will adapt to different paint colors nicely over time.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:11 am

I don't think scratches show more unless they are deep scratches exposing the raw wood. My darker floors do show dust/dirt more than when I had the typical natural oak floors. I like the way they look though and wouldn't go back to natural oak again. Mine were actually natural oak and I had them stained a medium-dark brown (it was called dark walnut I think).

Edit: I have a matte finish.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FunnelCakeBob

Post by FunnelCakeBob » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:34 pm

Also consider the sheen of the clear top coat. A shiny coat such as semi-gloss or gloss will show imperfections and scratches easily. I wouldn't go for anything shinier than satin or eggshell finish.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:30 pm

We have white oak with close to clear finish on it. We love it and are happy that it hides the dust and scratches pretty well. It's currently about 25 years old and still looks pretty amazing. One of my relatives has a dark wood floor--it makes her huge house seem a bit smaller, but she likes it. My other sister just redid her floors and went from white oak laminate to a new white oak laminate floor. She and I both think the lighter wood makes the floor and area look larger and does a much better job of hiding dust and scratches.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:50 pm

OnTrack wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:46 pm
Our house built in 2008 (we are second owner) was built with very dark stained hardwood in all rooms except kitchen and bathrooms. The dark stained wood makes the house seem darker than it is but the good news is that the dark floor is fairly easy to clean and does not easily show dirt.

In terms of wear and tear the dark stain is easy to touch up as necessary - individual small scratches are easy to touch up and render relatively invisible with some same tone gel stain.

I personally would never install dark stained wood floor if I was building or remodeling. Very much prefer classic medium to slightly lighter brown tone (not blonde, red, or orange tone) stain on hardwood floors having lived with medium stained oak and hickory floors in previous houses and loving the color and look.

dadu007

Post by dadu007 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:27 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:47 am

Not changing. Maybe in the next 10 years "honey oak" will be back in favor. :wink: :o I kind of doubt it though.
Don't say that! :D Our 1988 house has tons of oak trim and cabinets. We put in red oak hardwood floors two years ago (polyurethane matte finish). Absolutely love them. I'm banking on natural oak coming back in style, haha! Our house feels very warm and homey. We'll never change it; we have no plans to move.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:32 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:47 am

In my experience changing from a lighter to darker stain is tough as the light stain is still there and the wood never accepts the darker stain fully. Unless you can completely sand through the old stain.
My folks have oak which was never stained. It has oxidized over the years and become a beautiful medium golden color.
Bestto buywhat you like and not follow trends.