Concrete sealers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bikechuck

Concrete sealers

Post by bikechuck »

I am closing on a new house next Friday and I will not have time to expoxy coat the garage floor between the closing date and before I have to move in. My understanding is that the epoxy process can take a full week between acid etching the surface and applying and allowing the epoxy to dry.

I would be interested in any suggestions for a less elaborate sealer that would give some protection that could be applied and dry within a one to two day time period. Bonus points if it does not have to come in a five gallon drum and is something I could apply myself.
adamthesmythe

Re: Concrete sealers

Post by adamthesmythe »

I suppose it's not a BAD thing...but...why do you NEED a sealer?

Other thoughts

Anything that will cover an area the size of a garage is going to come as 5 gallons or more.

You could just park in the driveway for a while.
Topic Author
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

adamthesmythe wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:18 pm I suppose it's not a BAD thing...but...why do you NEED a sealer?

Other thoughts

Anything that will cover an area the size of a garage is going to come as 5 gallons or more.

The cars are not the issue, this is a slab home and I will need to store tools, seasonal decorations, rakes, shovels, the all important corn hole game, bicycles etc in the garage. Once the movers have moved this stuff into the garage there is nowhere else to store it.

The reason that I wanted a sealer is that it is my understanding that it would help prevent pitting, flaking etc when the floor is exposed to road salt melting off our cars in the winter, any dripping of fluids from our well used but still serviceable cars etc.

I don't mind using five gallons of product but I would prefer five one gallon cans to one five gallon can which is far easier on a body my age to handle with the various upper body life injuries I have had and recovered from.
Scrapr

Post by Scrapr »

Be careful if you are going to epoxy the floor later. I'm pretty sure the sealer has to come up to apply the epoxy. Maybe take the pain right now & apply the epoxy because it's not going to get better later
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

Live in the midwest so we have the snow and ice and salted roadways. Built our home in 1996. Had our garage floor done with epoxy 2 years ago and it is fantastic. Don't think you need to be in a huge hurry to get this done. I would strongly suggest having it done professionally rather than trying to DYI with the kit from one of the BB stores. Yes, it takes about a week in total to have it cured enough to drive your vehicle inside. Unless you have a very bad concrete floor I see no reason to rush this project. Good luck
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

I sealed my driveway with 3 gallons of this last fall. Worked great but won't be able to paint over it after the fact. I did it to prevent chipping from mag chloride, etc. Rolled it on with a roller.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premiu ... /100179930
Topic Author
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

Thanks so much, I will likely give this a try. I do have a question for you. Was your concrete slippery after you treated it?
Trism

Post by Trism »

Put your stuff in one half of the garage and epoxy the other half. Switch/repeat.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I poured an entirely new concrete floor in my garage about four years ago. I put the contents of the garage in the dining room (which was closest to the inside garage door) and moved the dining room table into the living room. I had it like that for several weeks until I got everything moved back. If you can't fit the garage in your house for a week, minus the cars parked in the driveway, you might need to thin out the garage a bit.
daheld

Post by daheld »

bikechuck wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:35 pm
adamthesmythe wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:18 pm I suppose it's not a BAD thing...but...why do you NEED a sealer?

Other thoughts

The cars are not the issue, this is a slab home and I will need to store tools, seasonal decorations, rakes, shovels, the all important corn hole game, bicycles etc in the garage. Once the movers have moved this stuff into the garage there is nowhere else to store it.

The reason that I wanted a sealer is that it is my understanding that it would help prevent pitting, flaking etc when the floor is exposed to road salt melting off our cars in the winter, any dripping of fluids from our well used but still serviceable cars etc.

I don't mind using five gallons of product but I would prefer five one gallon cans to one five gallon can which is far easier on a body my age to handle with the various upper body life injuries I have had and recovered from.
I think this concern is overblown and if you want this done it's something you could do in the coming years.