monitor when credit freeze thaws

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SpideyIndexer

monitor when credit freeze thaws

Post by SpideyIndexer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:37 pm

Is there a simple way to monitor thawing and refreezing?

mhalley

Re: monitor when credit freeze thaws

Post by mhalley » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:02 pm

Question needs clarification. Generally, you thaw and put a time limit iron it I believe, say 2 days or 2 weeks or whatever (length of available freeze expends on co). Do you mean monitor to see if the freeze is back? I suppose calling the co to check would work to see if it is frozen again. Or going online.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance ... ur-credit/

beyou

Post by beyou » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:18 pm

The real issue here is if you freeze, what if somehow it is thawed without your knowledge.

The status does show on credit reports, so maybe if you have the credit monitoring services, maybe some of them would
report a "change" on the credit report if thawed. Definitely on the credit report but not sure what triggers an alert.
Maybe some monitoring services only report new lines of credit not freeze/thaw. I would contact a few of these credit monitoring
services and ask. Report back what you find !

student

Post by student » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:25 pm

blevine wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:18 pm
The real issue here is if you freeze, what if somehow it is thawed without your knowledge.

The status does show on credit reports, so maybe if you have the credit monitoring services, maybe some of them would
report a "change" on the credit report if thawed. Definitely on the credit report but not sure what triggers an alert.
Maybe some monitoring services only report new lines of credit not freeze/thaw. I would contact a few of these credit monitoring
services and ask. Report back what you find !
Where will it shows that the credit report is frozen? I froze my Experian report last week but I do not see anywhere on my report that I pulled a couple of days ago indicated that it is frozen?

beyou

Post by beyou » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:10 pm

Each credit bureau shows it in a different place but often in a summary near the top or bottom,
before or after all your details payment history for each credit card. Usually says something like
"locked by consumer" or "frozen by consumer".

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:37 pm

blevine wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:10 pm
Each credit bureau shows it in a different place but often in a summary near the top or bottom,
before or after all your details payment history for each credit card. Usually says something like
"locked by consumer" or "frozen by consumer".
I agree........EXP and EQ have it before all the details and TU has it after in a Message Section.
I wonder if there is a delay from when you freeze it to when it shows up on the report.

Topic Author
SpideyIndexer

Post by SpideyIndexer » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:34 pm

Equifax has changed their web system. It no longer accept my PIN, and prompted me to open an account (free) with a password. According to a third party, it seems thaws have not been taking place when I requested. I am trying to work through this myself.

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:35 pm

Equifax says it takes up to 48hrs to unfreeze credit report.
"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:48 pm

Some credit cards allow the cardholder to freeze activities. DW and I went out to dinner and I accidently left my credit card.

I immediately froze my card (Discover) until DW could retrieve it for me. Well, I was hit by a nefarious scammer, and received an email from Discover saying a charge was attempted, but refused because I had put the freeze on.

So, at least for Discover the freeze works.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain