Slip on loafer shoes for working guy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bighatnohorse

Slip on loafer shoes for working guy?

Post by bighatnohorse » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:13 am

I'm looking for a slip-on shoe that is comfortable and can get wet.
I'm constantly getting my shoes wet, taking them off before going in the house, slipping them back on when going outside again.
And I like to wear them when going places (not fancy places).
I tend to be hard on clothes and shoes - actually spilt motor oil on one shoe when changing oil on the Jeep.
So, low cost is important.
Any ideas?

livesoft

Re: Slip on loafer shoes for working guy?

Post by livesoft » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:16 am

$9 (on sale) croc-like shoes from Walmart. I like camo color. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Real-Tree-Me ... e/48709862
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:58 am

How about something like this? Waterproof membrane. Put some nikwax or snoseal on the uppers to help fend off stains

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS ... s?slotId=0

For changing oil and repair on the cars I bought a set of used coveralls from the local commercial laundry service. They have patches all over them but I don’t care as they were $5.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:06 pm

These aren't cheap

https://www.zappos.com/p/merrell-jungle ... /color/691

but Mrs found a similar pair at an outlet store near us for about $10. Went back a week later to get another pair and all gone. I am constantly in/out of new homes under construction and it's shoes off there. In the Fall/Winter/Spring it can be 10-15 times a day. After 3 or so years of use a tiny hole has opened at a seam so will be looking for similar

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:12 pm

bighatnohorse wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:13 am
I'm looking for a slip-on shoe that is comfortable and can get wet.
I'm constantly getting my shoes wet, taking them off before going in the house, slipping them back on when going outside again.
And I like to wear them when going places (not fancy places).
I tend to be hard on clothes and shoes - actually spilt motor oil on one shoe when changing oil on the Jeep.
So, low cost is important.
Any ideas?
My only comment is to be careful with your feet. I developed a pretty bad case of Plantar Fasciitis wearing shoes like that for too many years. Wish I had stuck with good lace up shoes with proper arch support and super feet insoles. It's a lot easier to prevent PF than to fix it.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:36 pm

Scrapr wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:06 pm
These aren't cheap

https://www.zappos.com/p/merrell-jungle ... /color/691
OP could consider these

https://www.amazon.com/Georgia-Boot-Rom ... th=1&psc=1

Sturdy shoe, steel shank

$10 is a massive score. Merril makes a quality shoe. Ive seen jungle mocs down in the $50 range. If your walking a lot on concrete like I did, cutting corners on quality footwear will get you foot and knee surgeries. Ive seen too many fellow employees on knee scooters after foot surgery after wearing $30 costco specials. I'm in $350 orthotics and $150 running shoes now cause I cut corners years ago. Its the only way I can walk now without pain.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:51 am

When you said slip on loafers, I was thinking working in an office type of situation.
I've been eyeing some solid Italian loafers (link) for myself. I would be wearing these shoes at least 40 hours per week. $500 is a tough pill.

I'm currently wearing ~$200 ecco loafers. They aren't bad, but they're not fantastic either, and they're due for a replacement.

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:54 pm

Okay, thanks. I'll check Walmart and Cabela's.
How a shoe "feels" is a real personal thing and I hate shoe shopping because it's so time consuming.

My favorite slip-on work shoe has been seasonally offered at Costco for $10.00 and is a Weatherproof Vintage 1948.
It's an easy off, easy on shoe, fairly waterproof, not too bad looking and acceptably comfortable.
HOWEVER, Costco hasn't carried it this season so far.

For me, a good shoe is one that I can wear all day long and it still doesn't bother me when evening wears around. Hard to find, that.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:46 pm