Sports fan trying to cut cable

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jimmac9

Sports fan trying to cut cable

Post by jimmac9 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:56 am

My cable costs are rising again, and I was considering kicking Comcast to the curb. I have the 150mbps internet through Comcast that I will probably keep. However, I like to watch the NASCAR races (FS1, and NBC SN) and I am a die-hard NY Giants fan but I live in Florida. Additionally I watch a little CNBC, and that's about it.

I've been looking at sling, and Hulu, but haven't been convinced either way. Any suggestions?

randomguy

Re: Sports fan trying to cut cable

Post by randomguy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:03 am

Try the free trials that most of the services have and see if they work for you. It is easy to look at channels. What is harder to figure out is how annoying you will find it to use the services.

Davidbsva

Post by Davidbsva » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:10 am

Got rid of Verizon FIOS a few months back and am completely glad I did. I was getting charged more for my set top boxes/DVR than my current rate. Check out YouTube TV - I've been very happy with it. I don't get 1000 stations - but never needed all of that. The sports stations are pretty covered. You should look into a Roku device to use to stream YouTube, and you'll need (for now) a separate HBO NOW app to get to HBO if you want that. ESPN, FOXSPORTS, etc. apps are all excellent for watching games and/or videos of recorded games... You can also get to SEC, BigTen and ACC games via these apps. Check out the lineup at YouTubeTV.com. Steaming is the ONLY way to go. Once you have a Roku (or similar device) you could potentially switch from YouTube TV to DirecTV Now, to Hulu, to Sling if they start to offer a better package/price - so switching aggravation is nil and should help to keep competition in check.

RagnarRahl

Post by RagnarRahl » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:13 am

I am happy with YouTube TV, but I don't watch the NFL and doubt I could see Giants games here in Arizona very often.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:17 am

We use Playstation Vue. The cheapest plan of $44.95 includes the channels you mention plus locals in most areas. You have the benefit of cloud DVR for as many programs as you choose. There maybe cheaper options but this is an option. We have a more costly plan just to get the Hallmark stations and am overall very pleased with the service.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/

Cheers

Davidbsva

Post by Davidbsva » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:17 am

A few other items. With YouTube TV - you can have up to 3 concurrent users (devices) viewing at any one time - so if you can possibly share an account to save money. For the NFL you should look at the NFL Season Ticket which allows you to watch your favorite team any time. College students can get this for $79 or so per season. DirectTV Now I think may either include Sunday Ticket or at least allow access. Sunday Ticket is another App you install on Roku and it includes RedZone.

jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:20 am

I have Verizon 50/50 which is more than enough with no buffering. When I had 25/15 I had buffering. I have Hulu's sports package and at 5PM last Saturday there were 15 college games on at the same time. OMG I was in Hulu's sports package DVR heaven. I suggest you test drive Hulu with their free week. You also might try Utube as they are also around $39 a month. I pay $39 plus tax for a total of just over $42. Also consider getting your phone free thru Google voice using a Obihai device plus 911 service for about $25 a year. Your milage will vary.

pindevil

Post by pindevil » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:47 am

NFL Sunday ticket is your best chance at watching giants at your location. You will need to check if you are eligible at nflsundayticket.tv. If you wait another year it should be available through DirecTV Now. It's available through DirecTV Now today but only in certain markets.

pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:01 am

The one area of sports coverage that will be hard to find are local games that aren't being broadcast nationally - MLB, NBA, and NHL come to mind.

If you live within a reasonable distance from an urban area, you can try a tv antenna. That would only cover games broadcast on over the air channels. NFL local games would be an ideal candidate.

In the future, teams will likely have their own internet subscription that you can subscribe to.

You can usually find extended highlights of completed games on league websites:
- mlb.tv offers this, although they don't make it clear that it is free for everybody. Go to here -
https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/ - click on the calendar widget to a game in the past, and then click on any Condensed Game link.
- The NFL publishes game highlights on youtube. (They are published by the NFL - this isn't pirating.) Its pretty easy to find via youtube search. Here is the link to this past Thursday game, 35 minutes in length: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYVCxXIJ1UE

If you are not eligible for NFL Sunday Ticket, the NFL also offers the NFL GAME PASS for $99. That will give you access to full broadcast replays after the fact.

And yes, there are always free online streams of dubious legality. I recommend using reddit to find them because the modding system will filter up the better links. Also recommend learning about Chrome Inspect (in Chrome, right click and select 'Inspect') to clean up overlays and other undesired page elements.
Last edited by pointyhairedboss on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:04 am

YouTube TV is local only plus many cable networks including NBC SN, ESPN and many others. It may or may not be what you are looking for. We like it, but network TV is local channels only.

I also have a livestream app on my Amazon Fire stick. It requires a mouse app interface on the Fire Stick remote. Generally, it is a pain, but I was able to watch the Packers and Vikings last week when it was blocked in central MI.

Cord cutting is not without some hassle. We pay 64.99 for Spectrum, 35 for YouTube TV, 10.99 for Netflix and 7.99 for HuluPlus. 119 total. After the Spectrum 12 month period ends, it ends up pretty close to cable, maybe a little less. A bonus is the library option in YouTube TV and the added benefit of Netflix and Hulu original programming and movie choices. For you - you'd still need NFL Network or whatever their subscription is.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:10 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:17 am
We use Playstation Vue. The cheapest plan of $44.95 includes the channels you mention plus locals in most areas. You have the benefit of cloud DVR for as many programs as you choose. There maybe cheaper options but this is an option. We have a more costly plan just to get the Hallmark stations and am overall very pleased with the service.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/

Cheers
+1 for Vue.

More sports than you can watch on the $49.99 package. We use Fire TV boxes on each TV.

I received an email yesterday that sales tax would now be charged. That is coming for all online purchases.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

gohuskys

Post by gohuskys » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:59 pm

Definitely look into Playstation Vue.

It is possibly the worst branding in history, whenever I explain it to people they are under the mistaken impression that you need a playstation. We do not have a playstation and stream it on a Roku Ultra which is fast and has a nice remote.

The picture quality is outstanding and the channel selection is just right for me and the Mrs. We are saving 70 dollars a month compared to the Dish Network and do not miss a thing!!!