My Very First Smartphone [Samsung Galaxy S9+] — Please Critique This Plan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Momus

Re: My Very First Smartphone — Please Critique This Plan

Post by Momus » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:07 am

Go with mint mobile $15/mo 2GB data, unlimited text and call. Buy Oneplus 6 $529.
Buy S9 for $499 if you go with Cricket $35/mo.

Both are excellent phone with the latest and greatest processor. I'd say skip the midrange phones $200-300 because you really want a great experience, nothing is more frustrating having your phone lag like there is no tomorrow. A Flagship phone will last you a good 3 years, 4 years if you push it. Snapdragon 845 is really snappy. What I don't want you to buy is a midrange crappy phone for $200, decide they suck (well duh!!!), and you turn buying $1000 iPhone, and declare iPhone is the best. This happened far too many times for many people. Get a flagship to get a great performance.

I'd go with Oneplus 6 + Mint mobile if I were you. Save $$$, oneplus has more RAM (6 GB, more future proof). Profit!

jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:33 am

inbox788 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:08 pm
iceport wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:08 pm
jerryk68 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:11 pm
A related question: my primary email account is with my landline/dsl isp provider. Could I continue to use that email address easily with the phone? Or would I be required to set up a gmail account for use with the android phone?
A couple of questions regarding your home service? Do you get your internet service thru you phone line? Do you have cable TV or wireless internet service?
Yes and yes. Both! What app are you talking about? A cell phone today is more handheld computer than telephone. And you will find e-mail less and less relevant. Still, you may want to stick to one email for simplicity. Now may be a good time to untether yourself from your ISP dependency in case you want to cancel some day.

You can use gmail app or any of dozens of other mail apps and use either or both email accounts. Your gmail account will be needed for the play store (where you get apps).

A few years ago, I had DSL service tied to my home phone and cable service in a bundle package. I don’t know if you can port your home phone number to your cell because your DSL service may need the phone or similar phone number to operate. The phone company can answer that issue.

Like you I am retired and revamped my media service when I got my smart phone. Smart phones will/can default to wifi rather than data usage to operate. To my knowledge and unless things have changed, DSL is not wireless so your computer using DSL and your smart phone are independent of each other to access the internet.

I dropped DSL and went with cable, wifi internet using a router and phone in a bundle package offered by Verizon. Over the years that bundle package ballooned to in excess of $250 a month. A few months ago I did another cost analysis and went with just wifi internet service thru Verizon for $59 a month for 2 years including fees and taxes. I get TV service thru Hulu (local sports package) for $42 a month (including fees & taxes) and my home phone is free thru google voice using an Obihai device. My cell phone internet usage defaults to wifi at home so that my total data usage on my smart phone is minimal. Likewise, some places that I go like the local supermarket and gym offer free wifi internet service.

Your mileage may and will vary. I rent nothing from Verizon or any other company so in the long run I save in fees. I would strongly suggest you get a 20 or 30 something millennial to help you in your analysis. My youngest daughter helped me and walked me thru the changes.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:49 am

jerryk68 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:33 am
Your mileage may and will vary. I rent nothing from Verizon or any other company so in the long run I save in fees. I would strongly suggest you get a 20 or 30 something millennial to help you in your analysis. My youngest daughter helped me and walked me thru the changes.
I think a lot of the posts here are missing how difficult it is for a non-smartphone-geek to manage data usage. Everyone I know without unlimited data runs out of data every month - and thankfully their plans entirely cut them off or they'd have already wiped out all their retirement savings buying data. So people may not need help just with analysis, they may need help with implementation. A lot of help. I have a limited plan and don't run out of data, but only because I virtually never have data enabled, I just use wifi. I have limited calling too and know to use wifi calling. The people who enable data but have the phone prefer wifi... all run out of data. Yes, everyone is going to say "well, don't enable <whatever> app", but to know that and to do it you have to be somewhat of a smartphone geek.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:19 am

A lot depends on how tight you are with money and how much time you want to spend on technology or sorting out problems. Another factor is how long you want to keep the phone. I'm reasonably savvy with technology but simply don't want to spend time hassling around with phones. This is why I like to have a physical store to have them set up the phone for me. I don't have a preference for Verizon, T-Mobile or AT&T.

I think it was a year ago that I bought a Samsung Note 8 for around $1,000. The camera was important to me as I was taking a class in photography at a community college. I bought the unlocked phone at Best Buy, then took it to an AT&T store. I handed it to the Sales Rep and he put on a screen saver and case that I purchased from them. The Rep set up the phone, I made a call and walked out with a fully functional phone. I think I have AT&T prepaid with unlimited voice and messages and about 6GB for about $40 a month. Sometimes if I cannot figure out something fairly quickly, I go to the store, hand the Rep the phone and a few minutes later I have the solution, laugh at how stupid I was and go back to what I enjoy doing.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:26 am

Since you are using Consumer Cellular, go with one of the phones they offer. I would suggest the Moto G6. I use CC and have the Moto G5+. You can thank me later.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

student

Post by student » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:48 am

I agree with others that you probably do not need such a powerful phone to start. However, if you can afford it, then no issues.

iceport

Post by iceport » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:32 am

OP here again...

Thanks for all the continued comments. I am eagerly reading all of them and greatly appreciate your taking the time to help.

So far, the predominant comment is some version of saying that the Galaxy S9+ (or a competitor's flagship equivalent) costs more than I need to spend for my purposes and/or has more capability that I need. (It seems that dual, dsmclone, aristotelian, Jack FFR1846, squirm, neilpilot, Luke Duke, inbox788, BL, gtownsend, Saving$, michaeljc70, FrugalInvestor, dumbbunny and student have all offered some version of this.) This may be true, but I do want to try out the flagship experience at least once. :greedy Put this in the category of a late mid-life crisis — and this costs way less than a sports car. :wink:

The most persuasive argument is the durability/longevity issue touched on by Saving$ and Momus. If I can get 4 or 5 years out of a phone, then I'm not overly worried about the cost. This flagship price point has been roughly the same for many years now, and I've considered this move intermittently for at least 5 years. So the price doesn't shock me. The trouble is, it seems that my expectations might be unrealistic.

As all of the phones I've looked at do not have removable batteries, I'm thinking that the battery might be the weak link. Do they last for only ~2 years? How expensive is it to replace the batteries in such a phone? Could I extend the battery life by using a battery case or external power bank?

I'm already envisioning buying some form of external power source, anyway, for peace of mind on extended hikes or backpacking. But if the normal functionality of the phone begins to suffer from battery degradation after only a couple of years, then that might be a good reason to seek a lower price alternative.

To jerryk68 and inbox788 concerning landline phone number porting: I plan to keep my landline for the time being. That might preclude using the same number for a new cell phone, and I should call the phone company to find out. I have basic dsl internet service through the phone company and (basic) basic cable through the cable company. I use a wireless router so that I can use a laptop anywhere in the house, and I had assumed that the router could provide wifi data access for learning how to use the phone. (About the only change I've contemplated is upgrading my dsl service to a speed sufficient to drive streaming through a firestick, and then cutting cable.)

Again, thanks to ALL for your EXCELLENT comments and generating other ideas.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

student

Post by student » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:41 am

If you cable is through xfinity, consider viewtopic.php?t=220754

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:55 am

iceport wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:32 am

The most persuasive argument is the durability/longevity issue touched on by Saving$ and Momus. If I can get 4 or 5 years out of a phone, then I'm not overly worried about the cost. This flagship price point has been roughly the same for many years now, and I've considered this move intermittently for at least 5 years. So the price doesn't shock me. The trouble is, it seems that my expectations might be unrealistic.

As all of the phones I've looked at do not have removable batteries, I'm thinking that the battery might be the weak link. Do they last for only ~2 years? How expensive is it to replace the batteries in such a phone? Could I extend the battery life by using a battery case or external power bank?
Yes. I have found that after around 2 years, the battery lasts shorter and shorter periods between charges. That is the most common reason I've switched phones. I know people that use their phones less and they last longer. You can have the battery replaced, but it is usually pretty pricey for an internal battery. You can carry around a power bank or something, but that gets pretty clunky. Then you have the issue of if you really want a flagship phone now, are you really going to be able to pass up the next 4 or 5 versions that come out?

BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:27 am

iPhones are quite nice. Less security risk (as evaluated by megacorp IT). I would test out both to see how you like the experience. Apple does host classes to teach you how to use products. Screen size is important. Spend some time looking at it and putting it in your pocket.

If you go android, would also recommend google FI. Sometimes calls are a bit slow to connect but ‘you don’t call much’ so should be a bother. Network coverage is vital so that’s what you need to focus on.

Outside of a phone, get a car USB port (cigarette lighter plug in) and extra cables. Also get a good case and I would recommend a glass screen protector. Also consider earphones - everyone uses them at some point but unknown if you will use enough to warrant an upgrade over the free pair.

Batteries last 3-4 years but what I found is you can often sell your phone every couple years and upgrade at minimal cost. These ‘$800 every 2 years’ people always complain about used to be free (with discounted phone) and now maybe half that price.

1gb may be enough, maybe not. Try to use WiFi when possible and learn to download things to phone at home if you use stuff like Netflix for flights.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:28 am

OnTrack wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:18 am
The Wizard wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:25 pm
Fi also works internationally in a seamless manner if that matters to you...
Although not every country or territory is included in Project FI. Currently, there are 170 countries on the Project FI website and some of are not really independent countries such as Hong Kong. The UN has 193 member states and if areas under jurisdiction of other countries are counted (such as Aruba which is not on the Project FI list) there are (by at least one count) 247 countries.
It's almost easier (and instructive) to make a list of countries where Project Fi is NOT supported.

I note from their website that Belize is now supported; it was not when I was there in 2016.

While Bonaire is not explicitly listed, it has been part of the Caribbean Netherlands since 2010 and all of the Netherlands is certainly supported. (I'm off to Bonaire in November!)

Countries where Fi doesn't work include: Cuba, North Korea, Lebanon, Syria, Iran, Yemen, Somalia, Ethiopia, Sudan, and surprisingly, Vietnam.

Here's a more complete map/list:
https://amp.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/comm ... roject_fi/
Attempted new signature...

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:28 am

student wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:48 am
I agree with others that you probably do not need such a powerful phone to start. However, if you can afford it, then no issues.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWB5YY6YWe0

Sure, yesterday OP was using a flip phone, today, he needs 1TB memory, water carbon cooling, S pen with remote, Bixby, DEX dynamic PC, Knox security, etc.

Samsung’s Galaxy Note9: Too Much Phone for Most of Us
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/22/tech ... eview.html

iceport

Post by iceport » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:13 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:28 am

Sure, yesterday OP was using a flip phone, today, he needs 1TB memory, water carbon cooling, S pen with remote, Bixby, DEX dynamic PC, Knox security, etc.
Just to be clear, I'm not considering the Note 9. The S9+ was my initial interest. The smaller size, better durability (according to Consumer Reports) and lower cost of the S9 might be a better trade-off, and it's one of the cheaper, possibly more suitable options the article you linked mentions. It seems I could get one for $620 from B&H Photo, including a case and glass protector...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... xy_s9.html

Momus

Post by Momus » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:43 pm

Baterry replacement is not a problem, you can get one for about $10. They are dirt cheap and easy to replace, takes about 15-30 mins to do. I replace mine twice already (heavy mobile gamer). One of the phone I replace it with 10,000 mah battery, now it last 3x as long. I don't have to charge my phone for 3 days :-) Normal battery is 3000 mah.

You do have to buy a small heat gun $15 + small screw driver mobile tool kit $15 to do it tho...

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/OnePlus ... own/109826

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung ... own/104322

Glass protector is $1 at eBay.
Case is about $5-10 at Amazon/eBay.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:18 pm

I know you mentioned watching video and you tube and like stuff as uses for your new phone. You also said you were sticking to the Samsung S9 or S9+ as the size phone you wanted. But screen size (especially for video applications) is such a personal thing that you just have to use the various phones to see what you like. I am another old guy and I just do not like the normal or +++ sized phones for lots of applications. They are just too small for lots of things. A normal size phone is fine for talking and sending texts and taking some pictures but it is just bad for reading books or watching videos and other screen intense stuff. It is also not very good for reading maps. So in my case I use a small Samsung seven inch tablet for reading books and watching videos. My wife has a Apple 8 inch tablet for the same reason. The tablet bigger screen sizes are just a lot more in tune with our old eyes. We also use the voice feature of our phones for map and directions.

So think about and evaluate the various phones and phone sizes before you make your purchase decision.

Good Luck.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:29 pm

In my opinion you'll be just as happy with a 'lower' end phone as long as it's a good one. My wife and I have both been using smart phones for years and we both use Moto X4s on Project Fi. We came from iPhones but she is a much heavier user than I am. It took her a little while to adapt but she is now VERY happy with her Android on Fi especially for the price of both.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:15 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:28 am
OnTrack wrote:
The Wizard wrote:
Although not every country or territory is included in Project FI. Currently, there are 170 countries on the Project FI website and some of are not really independent countries such as Hong Kong. The UN has 193 member states and if areas under jurisdiction of other countries are counted (such as Aruba which is not on the Project FI list) there are (by at least one count) 247 countries.
It's almost easier (and instructive) to make a list of countries where Project Fi is NOT supported.

I note from their website that Belize is now supported; it was not when I was there in 2016.

While Bonaire is not explicitly listed, it has been part of the Caribbean Netherlands since 2010 and all of the Netherlands is certainly supported. (I'm off to Bonaire in November!)

Countries where Fi doesn't work include: Cuba, North Korea, Lebanon, Syria, Iran, Yemen, Somalia, Ethiopia, Sudan, and surprisingly, Vietnam.

Are you sure Bonaire is covered? I went to https://fi.google.com/about/coverage/ and typed in "Bonaire, Caribbean Netherlands". The result comes back as "None".
https://fi.google.com/coverage?q=Bonair ... etherlands

I also tried Aruba and the result comes back as "Covered", however the map of the island is entirely white and it is supposed to be some shade of green to indicate 2g, 3G or 4g service.
https://fi.google.com/coverage?q=Aruba

Note that neither Aruba nor Bonaire are explicitly in the list of covered countries.

Project FI looks like a good program, but it does appear that there are a few popular international destinations that aren't covered.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:48 pm

OnTrack wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:15 pm
The Wizard wrote:
OnTrack wrote:
The Wizard wrote:

Are you sure Bonaire is covered?
Yes.
Bonaire is officially PART of the Netherlands, same as Hawaii is part of the US...

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:09 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:48 pm
OnTrack wrote:
Yes.
Bonaire is officially PART of the Netherlands, same as Hawaii is part of the US...
The fact that Bonaire is part of the Netherlands does not necessarily imply coverage. Even parts of the contiguous 48 United States don't have coverage. Furthermore, as I said in my previous post, the Project Fi website specifically indicates that Bonaire does not have coverage. Do you have information that contradicts the Project Fi coverage map?

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:21 am

OnTrack wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:09 pm
The Wizard wrote:
OnTrack wrote:
Yes.
The fact that Bonaire is part of the Netherlands does not necessarily imply coverage. Even parts of the contiguous 48 United States don't have coverage. Furthermore, as I said in my previous post, the Project Fi website specifically indicates that Bonaire does not have coverage. Do you have information that contradicts the Project Fi coverage map?
I know first hand that Project Fi worked great on Bonaire this past December.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:26 am

Usage is clearly important, and driving most of the suggestions here. If you're going to stream video over a cell network, you'll need more data. You'll also want a larger display.

Probably 95%+ of DW and my data come over WiFi, and so doesn't count. When not on WiFi, I stream an hour or so of audio per week, we use GPS driving directions, use email, make the occasional internet search. I use my phone as an mp3 player, so memory is important. My office gets no cell reception, so WiFi calling is important. Coverage is especially important for my wife.

All this is to say that given our usage, cheap iPhone SEs and 2GB/month on Cricket for each of us is more than we need. I don't try to curb my data usage away from WiFi, but still I've never used a quarter of that allowance. I can't imagine having enough time away from WiFi to stream much video. I work at a college and see students waiting for class watching their phones, but that isn't me.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:51 am

I got my first smart phone a little over a year ago at a similar age. After 7 years the screen started failing on a flip phone that I had used with grandfathered paygo Boost plan, for which I had been paying $5 every 3 months.

After a year with a used $30 Moto E2, I recently upgraded to a factory unlocked used Moto E4 for $63. For my spouse we went with a factory unlocked used Moto G4 for $100, also about a year ago. All were in excellent condition and purchased from businesses that allowed returns for 30 days. But even new, these phones would've all been under $150, for factory unlocked versions.

We have used FreedomPop, but it is probably not worth the hassles for most people. Since we need limited data, text, and voice, were we to switch providers, would probably go with RedPocket Ebay plan at $5 per month (pay $60 for a year), with 100 minutes, 100 texts, and 500 MB.

Nokia seems to have recently come out with some well regarded budget smart phones, so you might look at those as well as Moto E and G series, should you decide to revise your phone choice.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:19 am

I think if you haven't had a smartphone before, you will be surprised in how much data can be used up quickly. Though there are things you can do to tweak and reduce it, a lot of apps use data in the background. I get 5GB a month, am mostly at home on Wifi, and use almost all of it. I don't really watch videos on my phone and use it for navigation, listening to usually pre-downloaded podcasts, a little Facebook, reading the news, etc.

To give an example, in 2 weeks (that is where I am in my cycle) Google News used 652MB (57% of 1GB). After noticing this, I turned off the "Background data" setting for this app. It has used 110MB while I was using it and over 500MB in the background. I also turned off the "Autoplay videos" and enabled "Data Saver Mode".

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:35 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:21 am
OnTrack wrote:
The Wizard wrote:
OnTrack wrote:
Yes.
Ok, that's good; thanks for the first hand confirmation. Strange that Project Fi's own website says there is no coverage.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:59 am

OnTrack wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:35 am
neilpilot wrote:
OnTrack wrote:
The Wizard wrote:
OnTrack wrote:
Yes.
Ok, that's good; thanks for the first hand confirmation. Strange that Project Fi's own website says there is no coverage.
It is not a country or recognized region (because, as indicated it is a municipality of the Netherlands and has a population of under 20k). It doesn't say Bonaire has no coverage.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:12 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:19 am
I think if you haven't had a smartphone before, you will be surprised in how much data can be used up quickly. Though there are things you can do to tweak and reduce it, a lot of apps use data in the background. I get 5GB a month, am mostly at home on Wifi, and use almost all of it. I don't really watch videos on my phone and use it for navigation, listening to usually pre-downloaded podcasts, a little Facebook, reading the news, etc.

To give an example, in 2 weeks (that is where I am in my cycle) Google News used 652MB (57% of 1GB). After noticing this, I turned off the "Background data" setting for this app. It has used 110MB while I was using it and over 500MB in the background. I also turned off the "Autoplay videos" and enabled "Data Saver Mode".
Yes, you do have to take some steps to lock down data. Besides data saver, there is also a setting in chrome to limit data. Since we already had background data locked down, the only time we came close to using 700 mb in a month was due to chrome auto playing video, when intent was to read a news story, the chrome data restricting setting also turns autoplay off.

Since our free plans now have only 250 mb, I use Here We Go for offline navigation when I don't need traffic.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:12 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:59 am
OnTrack wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:35 am
neilpilot wrote:
OnTrack wrote:
The Wizard wrote:

Yes.
It is not a country or recognized region (because, as indicated it is a municipality of the Netherlands and has a population of under 20k). It doesn't say Bonaire has no coverage.
Huh? I disagree that it "doesn't say Bonaire has no coverage". Check the following 2 links, one for Bonaire, the other for Canada.
https://fi.google.com/coverage?q=Canada
For Bonaire it says "None" which I take to mean no coverage. For Canada it says "Covered" which I take to mean there is coverage. Is there any other way to interpret this?

Edit: By the way, I realized I should have used an example with coverage of a municipality so it is an apples to apples comparison. For example, for Toronto ON Canada, it says "2G" which I take to mean there is 2G coverage.
https://fi.google.com/coverage?q=Toront ... C%20Canada
In any case, my conclusion is the same.
Last edited by OnTrack on Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Momus wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:43 pm
Baterry replacement is not a problem, you can get one for about $10. They are dirt cheap and easy to replace, takes about 15-30 mins to do. I replace mine twice already (heavy mobile gamer). One of the phone I replace it with 10,000 mah battery, now it last 3x as long. I don't have to charge my phone for 3 days :-) Normal battery is 3000 mah.

You do have to buy a small heat gun $15 + small screw driver mobile tool kit $15 to do it tho...

Thank you for this reference!

The S9 teardown description doesn't make it seem easy, though, giving it only a 4/10 in "repairability." I own a no-frills heat gun that I use to burn the paint off the sides of houses. (It looks a lot like this one.) Would that work, or would it be too difficult to control and fry a phone?

The most notable omission was how to put it back together again so it will be solid and not leak. (Never mind... I found it here, and they say it will not be water resistant anymore: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Ga ... eo)/105583 )

Consumer Reports did not give the OnePlus 6 as high marks for its camera as the Galaxy 9 series cameras. I know, we have to take their ratings with a grain of salt; CR is far from perfect. Still, it's an assuredly objective data point.

It's becoming clear that no single phone does everything perfectly, and that there are numerous trade-offs to weigh — with price being a big one.

Some alternatives that have been suggested so far:

iPhone (which I am resisting and which would definitely not be cheaper)
LG Phoenix
Moto E
Moto G5
Moto G6
Moto X4 Android One
OnePlus 6
Pixel 2
Pixel 3 (pending)

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:47 pm

iceport wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:13 pm
The S9+ was my initial interest. The smaller size, better durability (according to Consumer Reports) and lower cost of the S9 might be a better trade-off, and it's one of the cheaper, possibly more suitable options the article you linked mentions. It seems I could get one for $620 from B&H Photo, including a case and glass protector...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... xy_s9.html
Well that deal didn't last long. It's already back up to $720. :(

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:51 pm

Oh, and thanks for the several tips to be careful about data consumption. I will certainly be starting at the bottom of a steep learning curve...

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:52 pm

gtownsend wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:59 pm
A great Boglehead approach would be to get Google Fi phone service with a Moto X4 Android One phone ($250 from the Fi website). This is what I have, and it is a great phone with an excellent camera. I especially like the ability to get phone service over WiFi when I'm deep inside a building.
I have the same set up and it works beautifully. Cell service is very spotty where I live, but I make and receive calls seamlessly via wifi. No issues with data consumption either, since 99% of the time I'm running through wifi. I also love that it's pure Android. No bloatware and I get OS updates immediately after release.

Just $250 for the phone, $20/month for unlimited phone and text, and $10/month per gig of data.

https://fi.google.com/about/phones/#android-one-moto-x4

Momus

Post by Momus » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:15 pm

iceport wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:46 pm
Momus wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:43 pm

Thank you for this reference!

The S9 teardown description doesn't make it seem easy, though, giving it only a 4/10 in "repairability." I own a no-frills heat gun that I use to burn the paint off the sides of houses. (It looks a lot like this one.) Would that work, or would it be too difficult to control and fry a phone?

The most notable omission was how to put it back together again so it will be solid and not leak. (Never mind... I found it here, and they say it will not be water resistant anymore: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Ga ... eo)/105583 )

Consumer Reports did not give the OnePlus 6 as high marks for its camera as the Galaxy 9 series cameras. I know, we have to take their ratings with a grain of salt; CR is far from perfect. Still, it's an assuredly objective data point.

It's becoming clear that no single phone does everything perfectly, and that there are numerous trade-offs to weigh — with price being a big one.

Some alternatives that have been suggested so far:

iPhone (which I am resisting and which would definitely not be cheaper)
LG Phoenix
Moto E
Moto G5
Moto G6
Moto X4 Android One
OnePlus 6
Pixel 2
Pixel 3 (pending)
I can't remember when the last time I dunk my phone in water (literally never...). The repairability score is not a issue I care about; ask long as the phone has easy access to the battery after back plate opening. It's a simple battery swap.

I am only giving you the most economical option, which is oneplus 6 no contract phone unlocked with dxomark camera score 96. 1 point below iPhone X. For $500 phone flagship specs, that is TOUGH value to beat. https://www.dxomark.com/category/mobile-reviews

If you want the best of the best for camera a phone can do, Huawei P20 Pro (crazy good lowlight night mode photography, 150% bigger sensor size than iPhone X) will be it. But honestly, flagship camera is a toss up, it's hard to discern the difference unless you compare the picture side to side. You'd be happy with any phone mentioned S9, Oneplus 6, Huaweii P20 Pro, Pixel 2.

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:37 pm

Momus wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:15 pm
I can't remember when the last time I dunk my phone in water (literally never...). The repairability score is not a issue I care about; ask long as the phone has easy access to the battery after back plate opening. It's a simple battery swap.

I am only giving you the most economical option, which is oneplus 6 no contract phone unlocked with dxomark camera score 96. 1 point below iPhone X. For $500 phone flagship specs, that is TOUGH value to beat. https://www.dxomark.com/category/mobile-reviews

If you want the best of the best for camera a phone can do, Huawei P20 Pro (crazy good lowlight night mode photography, 150% bigger sensor size than iPhone X) will be it. But honestly, flagship camera is a toss up, it's hard to discern the difference unless you compare the picture side to side. You'd be happy with any phone mentioned S9, Oneplus 6, Huaweii P20 Pro, Pixel 2.
Thanks for the DxOMark reference!

A main reason for buying a smartphone is for navigational and other GPS capabilities on the trail. It will definitely see water at some point; total submergence would not be a black swan event. And I'm not getting any more dexterous as I age, so I'd like a rugged phone — which the Galaxy S9+ supposedly is NOT.

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:41 pm

CFM300 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:52 pm
gtownsend wrote:
A great Boglehead approach would be to get Google Fi phone service with a Moto X4 Android One phone ($250 from the Fi website). This is what I have, and it is a great phone with an excellent camera. I especially like the ability to get phone service over WiFi when I'm deep inside a building.
I have the same set up and it works beautifully. Cell service is very spotty where I live, but I make and receive calls seamlessly via wifi. No issues with data consumption either, since 99% of the time I'm running through wifi. I also love that it's pure Android. No bloatware and I get OS updates immediately after release.

Just $250 for the phone, $20/month for unlimited phone and text, and $10/month per gig of data.

Google Fi is intriguing, but it might prove a tad expensive. I still have no idea — whatsoever — how much data I'll consume, but a friend advised me that 3GB will not be enough for me.

Momus

Post by Momus » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:47 pm

iceport wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:41 pm
CFM300 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:52 pm
gtownsend wrote:

Google Fi is intriguing, but it might prove a tad expensive. I still have no idea — whatsoever — how much data I'll consume, but a friend advised me that 3GB will not be enough for me.
I use 2-3GB/mo. I browse on chrome a lot, use GPS every day to work, play mobile games, and check FB posts (not checking the videos). I don't go heavy on instagram, FB videos, youtube, netflix often. I do those at home on my WIFI. As long as you refrain from consuming tons of videos, you will be OK.

People who uses 10-20GB/mo, they do nothing but watch videos and look at tons of pictures on instagram.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:12 pm

iceport wrote:
What plan are you considering that would be cheaper? And will you endure throttling? And will you be paying for the data even if you don't actually use it?
Last edited by CFM300 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:13 pm

You do realize that you don't need to use any data to navigate via GPS. The only data required is if you need real time traffic updates, or if you are not disciplined to download the maps you need via wifi.

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:17 pm

CFM300 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:12 pm
iceport wrote:
So Fi would cost you $50/month. What plan are you considering that would be cheaper for 3GB of data? And will you endure throttling? And will you be paying for the data even if you don't actually use it?
Consumer Cellular would be $35/mo. for 3 GB. $45/mo. for 5 GB

https://www.consumercellular.com/Plans

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:20 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:13 pm
You do realize that you don't need to use any data to navigate via GPS. The only data required is if you need real time traffic updates, or if you are not disciplined to download the maps you need via wifi.
I don't realize much. :wink: But I am assuming that tracking (recording) horizontal and vertical trail positions will require a live data connection. (Traffic data would be critically important at infrequent times.)

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:26 pm

The DxOMark ratings have me seriously considering an HTC U12+ now...

https://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc- ... color=blue

This is turning out to be exactly the major shopping project I was hoping to avoid by just plucking the top-of-the-line option. :|

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:50 pm

iceport wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:20 pm
neilpilot wrote:
I don't realize much. :wink: But I am assuming that tracking (recording) horizontal and vertical trail positions will require a live data connection. (Traffic data would be critically important at infrequent times.)
I'm not sure what's involved in "tracking" H & V trail positions, but recording a GPS position on your smartphone, as well as navigation in general, does not require a data connection. The position "data" is generated by the GPS chip in your phone. You simply input the position into the navigation software you use, which requires almost a negligible amount of phone memory but no data connection.

I navigate all over roads and walkways in the USA, Canada and many EU locations with my $1 LC phone, with data turned off.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:55 pm

iceport wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:17 pm
Yeah okay. That's looks good. I don't know anything about their coverage or speeds, but Wirecutter gives them a positive review:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... s-carrier/

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:05 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:50 pm
iceport wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
I'm not sure what's involved in "tracking" H & V trail positions, but recording a GPS position on your smartphone, as well as navigation in general, does not require a data connection. The position "data" is generated by the GPS chip in your phone. You simply input the position into the navigation software you use, which requires almost a negligible amount of phone memory but no data connection.

I navigate all over roads and walkways in the USA, Canada and many EU locations with my $1 LC phone, with data turned off.
Great, thanks for the info.

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:08 pm

CFM300 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:55 pm
iceport wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:17 pm
Yeah okay. That's looks good. I don't know anything about their coverage or speeds, but Wirecutter gives them a positive review:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... s-carrier/
Thanks. I've been using Consumer Reports a lot, so it's great to get other trusted sources of information. The Wirecutter site also references Consumer Reports surveys.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:49 pm

iceport wrote:
You're using 0GB today, no? If 3GB isn't enough for you, you should have gotten a smartphone years go. Still, a few hours of videos, or constant streaming music will consume that much data.

iPhone 7 and beyond are waterproof to some extent. Have you eliminated iPhones? It's the simpler solution IMO, but that's a personal choice.

You also have to choose whether you want to buy extra data when you run out or get one of the free slow data after the limit has been reached plans. With slow data, you cripple along without streaming video, but email and texting usually works. Maps is probably usable with slow speed data. Browsing and social apps depend on what you're doing with them and how data intensive the activity. For the most part, I'd be able to live with just slow speed data most of the time, in-between wifi hot spots.

And it's gotten a lot easier controlling data usage, but you've still got to learn and use the features that are mostly built into the OS these days (as opposed to installing multiple apps in past). The 3GB could last me a year because I turn off data for most apps, and selective turn on those that I want using data (Safari, Maps), and so far haven't had problems with runaway data usage. Some games will download streaming videos and ads and that will often wipe out a months allocation in a few days, so be careful of those apps. The default is on, so I have to hunt down and turn off newly installed app data usage whenever I remember or find that my data is being consumed faster than expected.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:48 am

iceport wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
I checked my Fi usage and bills for the past 12 months. Only once did I use over 2 GB of cellular data in a month and I have data on all the time, but I seldom do much video on a cellular connection.

Monthly bills varied from $30 to $45 and that included trips to Spain, Morocco, and Italy.

The thing with data while using GPS with a mapping application is to allow choice of alternate route sometimes when traffic up ahead is a mess, which a good navigation app is always checking.

Additionally, with Google Maps, I can look for Burger Kings up ahead on or close to my planned route and then pick one to stop at...

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:59 am

I often use my smartphone to watch a TV show that I missed, using the NBC, CBS, or PBS app. Usually I'm on WiFi, with or without linking to a HDTV via Chromecast.

But once in a motel, I watched an hour-long show with WiFi turned off for some reason, meaning it used cellular data instead. So my bill was a bit higher that month. I've learned to Pay Attention better after that...

zero sum guy

Post by zero sum guy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:56 am

I am currently using Cricket, the budget division cellphone unit of AT&T.
For 35 dollars a month on autopay, I get unlimited talk and text and 5 GB of data per month. International call plans are additional.
I rarely use more than 2 GB a month, as I have a lot of free Wifi hot spots around NYC, but it is good to have.
Cricket is now running a promotion of 4 phone lines per 100 dollars per month.
You can get a low cost Samsung phone for 50 bucks from Cricket. The higher cost ones have a faster computer chip for faster internet surfing and a higher resolution camera but is not needed if you use the cellphone primarily for calls and texts.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:58 am

OnTrack wrote:
The Wizard wrote:
OnTrack wrote:
The Wizard wrote:

Are you sure Bonaire is covered? I went to https://fi.google.com/about/coverage/ and typed in "Bonaire, Caribbean Netherlands". The result comes back as "None".

I also tried Aruba and the result comes back as "Covered", however the map of the island is entirely white and it is supposed to be some shade of green to indicate 2g, 3G or 4g service.

Note that neither Aruba nor Bonaire are explicitly in the list of covered countries.

Project FI looks like a good program, but it does appear that there are a few popular international destinations that aren't covered.
I don't think that it not being found is the same as not having coverage. The search box says "countries/regions". Bonaire may fall under a different country or region. For example, if type Gibraltar or American Samoa in it finds nothing. Is that because there is no coverage or is it because they are territories? I don't know. A world map would be more useful in my opinion.

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:09 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:58 am
OnTrack wrote:
The Wizard wrote:
OnTrack wrote:
The Wizard wrote:

I don't think that it not being found is the same as not having coverage. The search box says "countries/regions". Bonaire may fall under a different country or region. For example, if type Gibraltar or American Samoa in it finds nothing. Is that because there is no coverage or is it because they are territories? I don't know. A world map would be more useful in my opinion.
??? It doesn't say "not being found". It very specifically says "Bonaire, Caribbean Netherlands" with an orange circle that says "None", whereas other locations with coverage have green circles that either say "Covered" or more specially the type of coverage such as "2G". I don't know how else it could be interpreted except to mean that Bonaire's coverage is "None". Of course, we know from neilpilot's first hand experience that Bonaire is covered. This being said, I will not comment any further, since apparently there are interpretations other than mine of this link:

I agree that a world map would be more useful.
Last edited by OnTrack on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.