Looking for best quality indoor security camera

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
newbie003

Looking for best quality indoor security camera

Post by newbie003 »

I currently have nest outdoor cameras, which I've tried indoors, but I find the quality lacking (doesn't really seem to be 1080). Maybe it just doesn't work as well indoors?

In any case, am thinking of getting an indoor nest cam or the Amazon cloud cam. I'm trying to stick with the bigger names but am open to other suggestions. I have Blink cameras as well, but also want something plugged in/always on.

Any thoughts (personal experience) on the quality of the nest indoor vs. amazon cloud?

Makes more sense for me to get the nest indoor as I already have the nest outdoor, and the reviews are slightly better (on Amazon) vs. the amazon cloud cam, but I'm a bit leery given the quality issue I'm having with the nest outdoor.

Thank you.
jehovasfitness

Re: Looking for best quality indoor security camera

Post by jehovasfitness »

I have a total of 7 indoor/outdoor Arlo Pros.

The Arlo Pro 2s are crisp indoors and out. Outside their night vision sucks from the Pro 1s.

Been quite happy with them.

Pro 2s when plugged in allow 24/7 CVR for about $10/mo.
Last edited by jehovasfitness on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bortky

Post by Bortky »

I recently got the Wzye camera's and have been happy with the resolution/picture quality.
jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness »

Let's see if this works.

This is a still picture of the Pro 2.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/l ... 690_201809
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

I have a Nest Camera outdoors, a Canary Camera indoors, and two weeks ago I bought a Wyze Camera.

The nest camera outdoors does a fine job of detecting movement but it's not going to pick up details like license plates unless the car is in my driveway and it's light out. I think this is pretty standard for outdoor cameras and the conditions it has to work with.

I have a Canary camera indoors and it does a great job. Unfortunately, the subscription is a ripoff and when I end my year, I will cancel.

I bought the Wyze camera mostly to monitor my basement. We were out of the country for two weeks and our water heater is 15 years old. I wanted to be alerted if something was happening. For $25 and no subscription costs it does an amazing job. Easy to hook up and very portable. Once the Canary subscription runs out I'm going to ditch it and replace it with another $25 Wyze camera.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

Thanks everyone. Is the Wyze camera safe (in terms of how secure it is, where it's sending my data...)? There seems to be some scary info online about what it does with data. Then again, can probably find similar info if you google any of these camera...
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

"The Best Indoor Security Camera"
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... ty-camera/
The Logitech Circle 2 (corded) has the best combination of features of the models we tested, including stellar 1080p video with a 180-degree field of view, continuous recording, 24 hours of free cloud storage (with the option to purchase more), smart geofencing, an easy-to-use app, and support for Alexa, HomeKit, and Google Assistant. It’s also the only model on our list that’s weatherproof, so it can double as an outdoor camera.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

We use the Amazon Cloud Cam. They claim it's 1080p but at best I would say it's 720p and that's only in the kitchen where there is plenty of light. In the living room and garage, fuggedda about it. However, it works just fine for my needs. The price is right and Alexa connectivity makes it easy enough that DW can use it to monitor the kids. Our previous cheapo $60 Chinese brand actually has better video quality than the Cloud Cam. I haven't used a Nest so I can't compare on quality. Been using them since Amazon Prime day, so about two months and no issues.
Beach

Post by Beach »

I bought a Yi Cloud Home Camera, 1080p recently off Amazon. It was cheap and had decent reviews. Well, I can't get it set up and they told me I need to do some kind of manual firmware update involving a mini sd card. No thanks, avoid the headache.