Recommend a To-do app please.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
kayanco
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:20 am

Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by kayanco » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:08 am

Hi,

I'm looking for a Todo list program that has these features:

1. Web based (in addition to phone app).
2. Possible to select multiple tasks (like Ctrl+Click folder selection in windows) and either delete or move them to a different project.
3. Sub-tasks option.
4. Keeps completed tasks (in a different view), so you can view them later or uncheck them to move them back.
5. Free :) (I'm okay with a one-time purchase, but definitely not those monthly/yearly subscriptions).

So far the closest I've found is Wunderlist. It has everything expect #2. You'd have to move/delete each task individually, can't select multiple tasks at once. Remember The Milk (RTM) does everything except that it's sub-task (#3) feature is paid (#5) :)

Do you use a Todo list that does all 5 above? If so, please share. I'd appreciate your suggestion.

Thank you.
Last edited by kayanco on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rolyatroba
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:14 pm

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by Rolyatroba » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:30 am

www.todoist.com On the Windows side they have both an App from the store and you can dig around and find their non-store app as well. But I just just the web version, using the Chrome web shortcut tool, which makes it feel like an app. Have on my Android phone as well.

I suppose if you use as a web app, it will work fine on any platform, Mac, IOS, Linux, etc.

Not sure it meets requirement 2 or 3 tho.

G3VALD1G
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by G3VALD1G » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:36 am

Clickup.com has all of the features you mentioned. I have been with it for about a year and I'm satisfied. The mobile app though is a little limited compared to the website.

rgs92
Posts: 2277
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by rgs92 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:36 am

thanks for this; great suggestions.

Jacobkg
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by Jacobkg » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:52 am

You should try www.workflowy.com. It is free or paid depending on your usage but hits the other items on your list very strongly.

Freefun
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by Freefun » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:31 am

My fav is todoist.
I also use workflowy and Trello but for different things and they don't do all you asked in your post (but each have unique strenghs)
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

User avatar
randomizer
Posts: 1540
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by randomizer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:33 am

Sounds like you want Todoist.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

camich27
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by camich27 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:18 am

Another vote for Todoist - it is great.

financeidiot
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:10 pm

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by financeidiot » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:29 am

I use Todoist for checklists and simple tasks, like groceries or cleaning the house, and Asana for projects and long-term goals. I haven't found an app that supports short and long-term planning well. Both will integrate with voice commands Amazon Echo or Google Home through IFTT or Zapier, which I particularly like for times when I don't have a keyboard handy.


stan1
Posts: 6081
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by stan1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:41 am

Can also try Things if you are on Apple platform. Free to try.

I no longer avoid paid products. Software is cheap these days and I find there's a noticeable quality difference in paid products if I need the premium features. I have several apps on my phone that I paid $3 to remove ads because I like the app and want it to stick around.

tev9876
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:12 am

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by tev9876 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:49 am

I have used Evernote and Google Keep in the past, but now find that Google Sheets works best for me.

For a project, like current backyard landscaping, I just create a new sheet. One tab is a to-do list. Another tab is a shopping list of materials. Another tab tracks concrete contractors I sent RFQs to. Yet another tab might be a cost summary. It is stored in the cloud so I can use a real keyboard to enter the bulk of it, but still pull up my shopping list on my cell phone at Home Depot.

For simple stuff like groceries I just yell at Alexa.

kayanco
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:20 am

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by kayanco » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:45 am

G3VALD1G wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:36 am
Clickup.com has all of the features you mentioned. I have been with it for about a year and I'm satisfied. The mobile app though is a little limited compared to the website.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try this. It did not come up in my initial search. Maybe because it appear similar to project management apps Asana?

kayanco
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:20 am

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by kayanco » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:52 am

Rolyatroba wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:30 am
www.todoist.com On the Windows side they have both an App from the store and you can dig around and find their non-store app as well. But I just just the web version, using the Chrome web shortcut tool, which makes it feel like an app. Have on my Android phone as well.

I suppose if you use as a web app, it will work fine on any platform, Mac, IOS, Linux, etc.

Not sure it meets requirement 2 or 3 tho.
randomizer wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:33 am
Sounds like you want Todoist.
camich27 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:18 am
Another vote for Todoist - it is great.

I was actually playing with Todoist and Wunderlist when I wrote the post. Todoist does hit my #2 feature request (unlike Wunderlist), but overall I'm liking Wunderlist more. Todoist tasks seem "weaker", because in Wunderlist I can easily click a task and a panel opens where I can:
Create sub-taks/checklist.
Add notes.
Attach files.

kayanco
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:20 am

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by kayanco » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:02 am

financeidiot wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:29 am
I use Todoist for checklists and simple tasks, like groceries or cleaning the house, and Asana for projects and long-term goals. I haven't found an app that supports short and long-term planning well. Both will integrate with voice commands Amazon Echo or Google Home through IFTT or Zapier, which I particularly like for times when I don't have a keyboard handy.
Hi,

Can you please elaborate more on how you use Asana differently than Todoist ?

kayanco
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:20 am

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by kayanco » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:03 am

Freefun wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:31 am
My fav is todoist.
I also use workflowy and Trello but for different things and they don't do all you asked in your post (but each have unique strenghs)
Can you please elaborate more on how you use Trello differently than Todoist?
I thought folks preferred one or the other. Trello for the Kanban style visual management.

User avatar
Cycle
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 7:57 pm
Location: USA

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by Cycle » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:16 am

I'm a former todoist user.

Now I use Google keep for home and Microsoft To-Do for work. I like To-Do better than todoist.

kayanco
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:20 am

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by kayanco » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:19 am

Cycle wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:16 am
I'm a former todoist user.

Now I use Google keep for home and Microsoft To-Do for work. I like To-Do better than todoist.
I looked at Microsoft To-Do also, feels almost the same as Wunderlist. (Maybe because MS owns Wunderlist :))

Freefun
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by Freefun » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:12 pm

kayanco wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:03 am
Freefun wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:31 am
My fav is todoist.
I also use workflowy and Trello but for different things and they don't do all you asked in your post (but each have unique strenghs)
Can you please elaborate more on how you use Trello differently than Todoist?
I thought folks preferred one or the other. Trello for the Kanban style visual management.
I use Trello for visual things. For example I have workout / fitness boards. One board has about 10 lists, one for each day of the week and 3 more for routines I can do now, routines I'm working to do near term, and other routines (these are usually snapshots of gymnastic routines). I build each list from pictures which are screen shots I take from instagram or youtube or other sources. This is much easier for me to navigate since the images are easier for me to understand than just writing text descriptions. Each card also contains a link to the source e.g. youtube video or snapshot, so I can see the entire routine.

Another board I have in Trello are house things to fix -- each card is a snapshot -- this makes it easy for me to move things around and just print a list to give to someone (if I'm hiring someone to fix stuff). Again, I can just have a text list but the images make it easier, especially if I'm expecting someone else to understand what I was thinking (I can have many images for a card or list).

I have lots of other Trello boards but for the most part they're all image based which leverages the visual power of Trello.

I've also used Trello board with others - for example boards with photography project ideas where we'll have a group of people contribute images of ideas to (Trello makes it easy to collaborate on the board).


I use Todoist for my short term and medium term things to do.

I use Workflowy as a dumping ground for everything. I put anything I think of in that- my list contains 1000's of items. Since I tag many things I don't need to spend much time putting things in the correct outline level.

Hope this helps a bit.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

kayanco
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:20 am

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by kayanco » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:47 pm

Freefun wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:12 pm
kayanco wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:03 am
Freefun wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:31 am
My fav is todoist.
I also use workflowy and Trello but for different things and they don't do all you asked in your post (but each have unique strenghs)
Can you please elaborate more on how you use Trello differently than Todoist?
I thought folks preferred one or the other. Trello for the Kanban style visual management.
I use Trello for visual things. For example I have workout / fitness boards. One board has about 10 lists, one for each day of the week and 3 more for routines I can do now, routines I'm working to do near term, and other routines (these are usually snapshots of gymnastic routines). I build each list from pictures which are screen shots I take from instagram or youtube or other sources. This is much easier for me to navigate since the images are easier for me to understand than just writing text descriptions. Each card also contains a link to the source e.g. youtube video or snapshot, so I can see the entire routine.

Another board I have in Trello are house things to fix -- each card is a snapshot -- this makes it easy for me to move things around and just print a list to give to someone (if I'm hiring someone to fix stuff). Again, I can just have a text list but the images make it easier, especially if I'm expecting someone else to understand what I was thinking (I can have many images for a card or list).

I have lots of other Trello boards but for the most part they're all image based which leverages the visual power of Trello.

I've also used Trello board with others - for example boards with photography project ideas where we'll have a group of people contribute images of ideas to (Trello makes it easy to collaborate on the board).


I use Todoist for my short term and medium term things to do.

I use Workflowy as a dumping ground for everything. I put anything I think of in that- my list contains 1000's of items. Since I tag many things I don't need to spend much time putting things in the correct outline level.

Hope this helps a bit.

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 13054
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by Toons » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:43 pm

Let Alexa remind you.
Or Google.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

SMV
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Location: United States

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by SMV » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:27 pm

Another vote for Workflowy. It doesn't exactly have all the features in your list, but the flexibility makes up for it.

I use it for to-do lists, projects, all kinds of lists, etc. You can rearrange and work with items at the speed of thought. I was a user of Remember The Milk for many, many years, but am very happy now with Workflowy.

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 3554
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:32 pm

Don't know if it'll meet your needs, but Google Calendar has a pane that tracks tasks (and sub-tasks).
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

kayanco
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:20 am

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by kayanco » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:33 pm

SMV wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:27 pm
Another vote for Workflowy. It doesn't exactly have all the features in your list, but the flexibility makes up for it.

I use it for to-do lists, projects, all kinds of lists, etc. You can rearrange and work with items at the speed of thought. I was a user of Remember The Milk for many, many years, but am very happy now with Workflowy.
Thanks. I took a quick peek, it does not appear to have due date and reminders for tasks.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2463
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:51 pm

I use todoist (and pay for it). One important feature for me is cross platform compatibility. I use it on

- my Android phone
- my Apple iPad
- my personal Macbook Pro
- my work Win7 laptop

(and could use it on any other platform via the browser app)

ThePrince
Posts: 373
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:15 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by ThePrince » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:01 pm

OmniFocus for GTD adherents.

User avatar
camillus
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Re: Recommend a To-do app please.

Post by camillus » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:57 am

Paper journal.

Each list is indexed by a Table of Contents.

Each page can be a different breakout list for a new project. Different lists for work & home. You can take a photo or just rip out the page if you need a shopping list or to remember something for an errand. You can make simple spreadsheets with the help of a calculator. Importantly, you can draw and visualize things fairly easily. The tactile experience of writing something down, I find, helps me remember it.

Most apps come and go, but this one has staying power.

Post Reply