Another Wifi extender thread

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BashDash

Another Wifi extender thread

Post by BashDash » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Hi BH,
As usual I have used the search box but I get overwhelmed with the info and with the Amazon options out there. I have small two level house that I get wifi upstairs and downstairs but just have a problem with one bedroom. It's not like I need it to reach to a guest house or something.

Can anyone suggest something super simple to set up and reasonable? I read that Google wifi pods are great I just don't think that price point is necessary for my situation. 30$ or so would be great. Thanks in advance!

furwut

Re: Another Wifi extender thread

Post by furwut » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:01 pm

I got this to get WiFi into my neice’s back bedroom:
https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DAP-1520- ... B00PVCXB4Y

knowledge

Post by knowledge » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:36 pm

I had a similar problem in the past and tried to fix it cheaply with a repeater/better routers/different antennas. Ultimately, I ended up going the mesh route, and finally am pleased with the results. I got 3 pods from Plume for $180 IIRC, but it seems that they've changed their pricing to more of a subscription model. Eero, Google, there are tons of options.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Depending on what you need the wifi for in the bedroom, any reasonable extender will probably get the job done.

In addition to the one linked earlier, this is another option.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NR2VMNC?ta ... AAAAAAAR7q

If you have high bandwidth needs (e.g. streaming video), the extender may not get the job done. But for basic browsing, email etc. it may be more than enough.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

onthepath

Post by onthepath » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Can't recommend within the 30 dollar range, but can highly recommend the orbi mesh system. Expensive but simple to setup, reliable, streaming upwards of 7 or 8 devices, two computers and multiple wifi cameras. Getting download speeds > 100mbps in speed test.

This is the large orbi system with the large satellites rbk53!

DelcoEE

Post by DelcoEE » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:56 pm

BashDash wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:56 pm
just have a problem with one bedroom.
For less than $30 I would give this a try.
I had the same problem and this worked fine for me .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NR ... UTF8&psc=1

P-Link AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender (RE200)

TP-Link AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender, Repeater, Access Point w/Mini Housing Design, Extends WiFi to Smart Home & Alexa Devices (RE200)
Roll over image to zoom in
TP-Link AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender, Repeater, Access Point w/Mini Housing Design, Extends WiFi to Smart Home & Alexa Devices (RE200

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:28 pm

There are a couple of $30 extenders here. I don't have any personal experience with them.

https://www.monoprice.com/search/index? ... e+extender
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:33 pm

I tried using two extenders, but they basically didn't help at all, regardless of where I placed them. I've had them for a few years, and tried them several different times in different configurations.

I recently got a single Google WiFi unit, with the plan to get another one if necessary. Using it next to the cable modem/router did not help much, but moving it to a different location in the same room resolved all issues. I now get great signal to the furthest away upstairs bedroom, and even to the back yard (router is in front room of house). Location can make a huge difference!

The original location was on the fireplace mantel. I used a 25 foot LAN cable to relocate the Google WiFi unit to a couch-side table, which is at the very front of the house, but is in a location with clear line of sight to the back of the house and the back yard. That gives me 70 Mbps everywhere--the service I'm paying for is supposedly 60 Mbps.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

Post by 123 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:03 pm

What brand and model of wireless router are you currently using?

We recently replaced a single band router that we had for around 10 years with a dual band. It had many more features than the old router, cost under $100. The bands seem to have different features of speed versus distance so dual band is definitely better than single band in many cases.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:33 pm

onthepath wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:51 pm
Can't recommend within the 30 dollar range, but can highly recommend the orbi mesh system. Expensive but simple to setup, reliable, streaming upwards of 7 or 8 devices, two computers and multiple wifi cameras. Getting download speeds > 100mbps in speed test.

This is the large orbi system with the large satellites rbk53!
I would be careful with this recommendation.

I used to own an Orbi system. When it worked, it was fantastic.

Lots of complaints about the entire system borking when firmware updates are pushed to the routers and satellites. Netgear is notorious for not supporting their products either.

My Orbi system eventually ended up failing with no support. I now refuse to purchase ANY Netgear products.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:29 pm

For a dead spot in our house, I got this one last year on Amazon:

NETGEAR AC1200 WiFi Range Extender - Essentials Edition (EX6120-100NAS)

Works fine. Set up painless, as I recall. There are tons of reviews and a lot of chatter about setting it up but it was pretty simple.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:58 am

Op here. Thanks for all replies!

The reason I need is we recently cut the cable cord so we are switching out our tv stand that held cable box, vcr, modem, and router to put in an electric fireplace mantel with no storage space. The tv is being mounted and we will put Apple TV on top of mantel but don’t want to put the router and modem on top too. There is room “in” the fireplace by the insert for the modem/router but I’m not sure if this is a good idea and not sure how accessible it is once mantel is mounted to wall. This is a central location. I moved router/modem to other location downstairs which is only option and we lose WiFi in bedroom.

yohac

Post by yohac » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:04 am

If you have an old router laying around, you may be able to reconfigure it to work as a repeater. That's been working for me for years. Keep in mind though that data rates through a repeater are typically cut at least in half.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:21 am

I'm too lazy for all this and I'm a sucker for Google products, so if I were going to try to improve the wifi at my place (about 1,000 sq ft) I'd just get a couple of Google WiFi units and fuggedaboutit.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:34 am

Duplicate
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:37 am

DelcoEE wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:56 pm
BashDash wrote:
just have a problem with one bedroom.
For less than $30 I would give this a try.
I had the same problem and this worked fine for me .

P-Link AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender (RE200)

TP-Link AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender, Repeater, Access Point w/Mini Housing Design, Extends WiFi to Smart Home & Alexa Devices (RE200)
Roll over image to zoom in
TP-Link AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender, Repeater, Access Point w/Mini Housing Design, Extends WiFi to Smart Home & Alexa Devices (RE200

+1, I just literally bought this and installed it. I had a dead zone in one section of the house, with this unit - no more issues.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:41 am

Randomizer: I like how you think. Would that be a quick fix? Would I need only one for my smallish split level home? If I put one downstairs corner of house would it most likely be good for the whole house? Do I hook it up to existing router modem? 99$ on Amazon more than I want to spend if 30$ gets the job done but hey this board also preaches simplicity.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:42 am

Gr82boutdoors: easy to install? Do you put it near router or in the dead zone room?

donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:08 am

BashDash wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:58 am
Op here. Thanks for all replies!

The reason I need is we recently cut the cable cord so we are switching out our tv stand that held cable box, vcr, modem, and router to put in an electric fireplace mantel with no storage space. The tv is being mounted and we will put Apple TV on top of mantel but don’t want to put the router and modem on top too. There is room “in” the fireplace by the insert for the modem/router but I’m not sure if this is a good idea and not sure how accessible it is once mantel is mounted to wall. This is a central location. I moved router/modem to other location downstairs which is only option and we lose WiFi in bedroom.
Another thing to try that is almost sure to work is a Powerline, if your Apple TV has an ethernet cable hookup (I believe they all do, but I could be mistaken).

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerlin ... =Powerline

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:31 am

OP,

Have you tried moving the existing WiFI router to a different spot or close to the bedroom?

KlangFool

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:05 am

BashDash wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:42 am
Gr82boutdoors: easy to install? Do you put it near router or in the dead zone room?
I put it in my dead zone room. The issue for me was the signal from my router was too weak resulting in buffering and slowness when using wi-fi in that area. I had done an extension a few years back, my understanding is the wall construction in an extension is thicker than the rest of my home, blocking the transmission and creating the weak signal. The extender installation was so simple, my kid installed it. My child did mention that it works as a repeater, if you want the extender to work you have to download an app, with the app downloaded, it picks up the wifi signal and extends it clearly. It saved me from an alternative solution that required me shelling out $90 for another device.

I've also used their TP-Link AC1200 device, more costly, but it covers a wider area of my home.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:58 pm

Discussion of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law is totally unacceptable. I removed an off-topic post and several replies asking how to share wi-fi from someone's home with another (violates terms of service).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:41 pm

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:34 pm

OP here. Does anyone who has posted here have one "pod" of Google wifi and it has done the job for a small two story house? 99$ might be worth it. So I just connect it to my current modem and do a few steps to set up.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:49 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:58 pm
Discussion of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law is totally unacceptable. I removed an off-topic post and several replies asking how to share wi-fi from someone's home with another (violates terms of service).
Which terms of service or law? We have a commercial provider and sharing between 4 homes is explicitly permitted, which is why we pay a premium amount for the contract.

Note that the less expensive repeaters, repeat the same frames on the same channel. Think of two way traffic on a one way street. New traffic has to wait for old traffic to be repeated (and acknowledged), then the channel to be clear. So while your effective range is extended, your overall throughput suffers greatly. If high speed large volume of data is required, I recommend using multiple channels.

Improving the access point location or technology (e.g. 802.11ac), changing channels or bands, or adjusting antenna angle is always preferable to repeating—if it works. Repeating is a last resort.

Soon 802.11ax products will be widely available, rendering 802.11ac obsolete.....

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:12 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:49 pm
Which terms of service or law? We have a commercial provider and sharing between 4 homes is explicitly permitted, which is why we pay a premium amount for the contract.
I sent you a PM with the details. Anyone else who has a question on this should PM me directly. Please don't continue the discussion here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:38 pm

BashDash wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:34 pm
OP here. Does anyone who has posted here have one "pod" of Google wifi and it has done the job for a small two story house? 99$ might be worth it. So I just connect it to my current modem and do a few steps to set up.
I posted upthread that it worked for me, and I have a medium-size 2-story house. However, a key step was relocating the pod to a different location than the cable modem/router combo unit. I believe you said you already tried relocating your router to the only other feasible location, and it didn't help, so what worked for me may not work for you.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:44 pm

BashDash wrote:
I have small two level house that I get wifi upstairs and downstairs but just have a problem with one bedroom. It's not like I need it to reach to a guest house or something. Can anyone suggest something super simple to set up and reasonable?
I had the exact same problem last year, OP - Just needed to get better access for a single bedroom upstairs. I also had the exact same concerns about:
(1) ease of set-up (directions translated from a foreign language aren't always helpful, and not every product has a YouTube video to show you how), and
(2) not buying a Maserati if the Honda Civic would get the job done.
After too much time and too many computer clicks doing my research, coincidentally I settled on the same product as the first response to your OP from furwut (below). <20 bucks at the time, 5-minute set-up, and it works great. Done and done.
furwut wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:01 pm
I got this to get WiFi into my neice’s back bedroom:
https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DAP-1520- ... B00PVCXB4Y
Last edited by SoAnyway on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Cheap range extenders are garbage. They either don’t work well or don’t work for long. Get Google Wifi. It is worth the money. I didn’t want to pay for it either. I gave in and bought it a month ago based on advice in a recent thread here and I’m glad I did.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

crumbone

Post by crumbone » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Good access points beat repeaters every time.

I use Ubiquiti access points and my Wifi range extends much further than I need it to.

Ged

Post by Ged » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:05 pm

Have you tried different locations for your router? Simply mounting it higher, say on the wall rather than on a table or worse on the floor can have a significant impact.

DelcoEE

Post by DelcoEE » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:04 pm

One more thing to think about. I have the Netgear WIFI Analytics app. It is free. The app will show the WIFI signal strength and how many networks are on a single channel (frequency). You might be able to solve some of your problems by just changing the channel..

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:19 pm

^^^ The reviews say that app only provides "basic" info.

Try this: Wifi Analyzer - Apps on Google Play. I've used it for quite some time. You'll get a ton of info to look at.

Update: The privacy settings require location permission. That's not gonna happen, it's gone. Instead, I installed Wifi Analyzer Classic.

DelcoEE

Post by DelcoEE » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:36 am

I installed Wifi Analyzer Classic.
Good research. I am going to give the Classic version a try.

Texflier

Post by Texflier » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:01 pm

I tried a couple of the extenders (offered at CostCo) - I was having a relatively new iPad keep dropping the WiFi connect - I ponied up the $250+ for the Google Mesh (3 pucks) and have been really impressed with the speed, app analysis tools on Upload/download speed with ISP, parental controls and the ability to prioritize one device to receive fastest connectivity. I tried to go cheap and ended up getting what I paid for...

miriamele

Post by miriamele » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:32 pm

Another vote for Google Mesh - three units. Some of the best money I ever spent and the easiest set up ever. After 3 or 4 months, smooth sailing so far with no drops and great speed and coverage. Good luck!

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:16 pm

OP here. Bought the first one mentioned on my thread for 22$. Works like a charm.

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:24 pm

i used to be cheap and never wanted to spend more than 50 on a router. Took the splurge on a Orbi and love it. Only regret is not purchasing something like this sooner.

Whew-Only10MoreYears

Post by Whew-Only10MoreYears » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:42 am

I'm struggling with a similar problem except I'm trying to beam WiFi out to a detached garage to run a golf simulator on an iPad. I found this free program which has been a big help analyzing signal strength and in identifying better router locations and which channel to use (there were no less than 6 of us on the same channel!)

https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/free/

I found I have "n" version router and it appears I'm now almost two generations out of date. I wonder if the op is in a similar situation and upgrading the router would help?

Thanks for all the replies - you saved me a million clicks!

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:00 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:29 pm
For a dead spot in our house, I got this one last year on Amazon:

NETGEAR AC1200 WiFi Range Extender - Essentials Edition (EX6120-100NAS)

Works fine. Set up painless, as I recall. There are tons of reviews and a lot of chatter about setting it up but it was pretty simple.
This one solved my problem, and it's even less expensive. Easy to set up. Return it if it doesn't work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R92CL5E