MySocialSecurity and credit freeze block annoyance

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
texasdiver

MySocialSecurity and credit freeze block annoyance

Post by texasdiver » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:07 pm

Since we don't get the paper social security statements anymore my wife was going to obtain a mySocialSecurity online account so that she could view her earnings statements online and just verify that all was in order.

During the process of registering for a new account she came to a screen saying "we're sorry, we cannot open an account with that number. Please call 1-800...."

After calling and wading through various menus she got a human on the line who pulled up her account and asked if she had a credit freeze in place with Equifax. Yes in fact we do. She was told the only way that she could set up the account online was to lift the credit freeze so that they could process the verification questions and even then there was no guarantee because they have heard back from some people who lifted their credit freezes and still couldn't create a mysocialsecurity account. She was told the only sure way to do it was to go to a social security office in person (wait in line....) and then process it there.

Have any of the rest of you encountered this? Does anyone else find it completely ridiculous that the social security administration has to rely on outside credit rating agencies to do their work? Do they not have their own independent means to verity identity? They are the government after all.

I guess this is more of a rant than anything else. But I'm wondering if any of the rest of you have experienced this and if you have found a work-around other than dealing with Equifax to pay to lift the credit freeze and then pay again to put it back.

HueyLD

Re: MySocialSecurity and credit freeze block annoyance

Post by HueyLD » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:11 pm

I guess you missed the thread. Starting tomorrow, Sep. 21, 2018, all credit freeze and lifting will be free due to a new federal law.

dcdowden

Post by dcdowden » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:17 pm

Yes - I had this happen when we set our My Social Security accounts several years ago. As I recall, we got a very specific message as to which of the three agencies they used to verify on-line identity, so that we could go unfreeze that account temporarily. We did the unfreeze, and were able to set up the accounts with no problem. At least after this week, I believe the agencies have to let you freeze/unfreeze your accounts for free.

My Brother in-law had someone falsely apply and begin to receive his social security benefits, so I for one am grateful that Social Security has tried to make it harder for on-line identity thieves to operate.

HerbsKid

Post by HerbsKid » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:21 pm

I had this happen a year ago after freezing Equifax and then trying to create a mySSA account.

I went to the local Social Security office and showed them my driver's license and they gave me an authentication code, which I used to open my SSA.gov account. I did not find it to be that bad, I sat in the waiting area and read the newspaper for 20mins until they called my number. YMMV.

Lifting the Equifax freeze temporarily should work also, but I was able to create my account by leaving the freeze in place and using the authentication code the local office gave me.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:27 pm

I literally went through this a few days ago.

I lifted my Equifax freeze (temporarily), waited 24 hours, and was able to create my Social Security account online.

Lifting the freeze was free.

It is disturbing that the government is relying on an outside agency to verify identities. On the other hand, you don’t want anyone who knows your SS#, birthdate, and address to be able to set up an account.

If SSA was pulling tax data from the IRS to verify identities, people would be up-in-arms about that too.
Last edited by delamer on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Think about this: up until now (when freezing/thawing is free for everyone), we taxpayers have been paying Equifax to manage IDs for opening an SS account AND, as individuals, to thaw our freezes so we could open an account. They have/had us coming and going.