overcast is eating up my data plan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Econberkeley

overcast is eating up my data plan

Post by Econberkeley » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:34 pm

My settings in overcast is defaulted to wifi only podcast downloads. however, I noticed that overcast is eating up my data plan when I am listening to it outside without an wifi access. My podcasts are downloaded already so why am I depleting my data plan when I am listening my podcast while I am driving?

OnceARunner

Re: overcast is eating up my data plan

Post by OnceARunner » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:15 pm

Not sure why that is happening, but if you never want it to use data nor stream, you can turn data off for overcast in the cellular settings of your phone itself. Don't give that app access to data at all and it will only be able to play what you've downloaded and will only download over wifi.

Could be a temporary fix if nothing else.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:33 pm

Are there ads? Video ads? That's probably what's consuming the data.

bankerbilo

Post by bankerbilo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:02 pm

OnceARunner wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:15 pm
Not sure why that is happening, but if you never want it to use data nor stream, you can turn data off for overcast in the cellular settings of your phone itself. Don't give that app access to data at all and it will only be able to play what you've downloaded and will only download over wifi.
I was thinking the same. This way, all cellular usage will be limited.

OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:54 am

inbox788 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:33 pm
Are there ads? Video ads? That's probably what's consuming the data.
That shouldn't be the case. Overcast is simply the medium that you are getting the podcasts through. The ads are built into the podcast itself and are downloaded with the podcast file.