BlackFriday Shopping - what do you usually buy? (other than Christmas gifts)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
atlanta_dad

BlackFriday Shopping - what do you usually buy? (other than Christmas gifts)

Post by atlanta_dad » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:26 pm

I was preparing a list of items to purchase for this blackfriday and wanted to see what others are planning to.
What do you usually find cheaper and buy during this time?
I heard people plan buying things that they need for the next whole year. Here is my list so far -

- QLED/OLED TV
- MacBook laptop
- Mens Brooks brothers pants
- New midsize Car
- C2 class hours for highschool kid

Thanks for sharing!!

magicrat

Re: BlackFriday Shopping - what do you usually buy? (other than Christmas gifts)

Post by magicrat » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:54 pm

The only thing I"ll be buying on black friday is takeout so I can stay home.

Sasquatch

Re: BlackFriday Shopping - what do you usually buy? (other than Christmas gifts)

Post by Sasquatch » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:56 pm

magicrat wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:54 pm
Amen

badger42

Post by badger42 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:57 pm

We'll go for a hike or go to the beach. Might end up buying lunch and/or coffee but that's about it.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:58 pm

I am trying to hold my spending down. Only buy what is needed when it is needed.

So no list.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:00 pm

magicrat wrote:
Amazon, Best Buy, Sam's Club, Target and Costco online stores have Black Friday pricing for delivery or instore pick-up later.

Ralph

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:01 pm

atlanta_dad wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:26 pm
I was preparing a list of items to purchase for this blackfriday and wanted to see what others are planning to.
I heard people plan buying things that they need for the next whole year. Here is my list so far -

- QLED/OLED TV
- MacBook laptop
- New midsize Car

Thanks for sharing!!
BB doesn't really have good Black Friday sales. Their quarterly sales are generally better than the sales for post-Thanksgiving and post-Christmas

prudent

Post by prudent » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:03 pm

What I have heard in the last couple of years on BF sites like gottadeal.com is that the deals aren't what they once were. You have to know what is an actual deal vs. "must be a bargain, it's a BF deal." Retailers have learned that calling something a BF deal tends to work almost as well as an actual deal. The BF sites also have commented that many BF deals get extended or even get better after BF if retail sales have been slow.

I used that site to compare BF deals for the same item across multiple retailers, pretty handy.

If I was going to car-shop on BF, I would expect to spend most of the day there if the dealer made a big advertising push on BF deals. They will be swamped and things will take a while. I'd do all my test-drives before BF and have a car picked out in advance, and have financing arranged in advance if not paying cash. Last time we bought a car it was the last day of the month and they were swarmed with customers. We came an hour before they officially were open knowing there would be some salespeople getting ready for the day - a salesperson was happy to get going and that saved us a lot of time. By the time we had come to an agreement they were packed and there was a long wait for the finance guy, so we went home and came back later in the day to do the paperwork, having worked out that when we came back we would go to the head of the line for the finance guy.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:13 pm

Not a thing. Christmas shopping is usually done by that time as well.

Over the last two years, we have bought one thing, a Kindle Fire Stick.

mhc

Post by mhc » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Verizon has had really good deals on cell phones. I have purchased new phones 2 of the last 3 years.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:23 pm

Better deals on 11/11. Last year I bought a down parka.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

NewPhoneWhoDis

Post by NewPhoneWhoDis » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:29 pm

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

masteraleph

Post by masteraleph » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:53 pm

Previously decided against smart switches, but might go for it if good ones are on sale again. Considering building a new computer- I'll see if any of the components I might want are on sale at that point.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Nothing, I go play golf that day if the weather is decent. I have enough stuff and don’t buy gifts for anyone besides my significant other, which I can do online.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:59 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:23 pm
Better deals on 11/11. Last year I bought a down parka.
+1
Best deals recently seem to happen in the couple of weeks before Black Friday.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:00 pm

Buy before black friday, price match to black friday prices!

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:11 pm

Plan to eat subscription is 1/2 off.

BespokeBiker

Post by BespokeBiker » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:15 pm

not usual but last year we went a non-electronic route ==> new mattress set + protective cover. Got us an added bump below typical sale cost on a moderately pricey item.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:24 pm

I never have participated in Black Friday sales. I never shall. It would suit me just fine if stores opened at their regular hours on the day after Thanksgiving. I’m sure the retail employees who have to staff the stores at one minute past midnight (or, in many cases, on Thanksgiving night) would not mind not having their Thanksgiving holiday impeded.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:36 pm

A few years ago, we bought a much discounted week at Spacecamp for the kids for the following summer.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:00 pm

Our local animal shelter has designated it "Black Fur Day." All adoptions are free that day.

Black Friday will be interesting this year. I'm curious what the impact of the tariffs will be. A lot of the loss leader products are Chinese (or at least non-US) in origin.

The problem with Black Friday is that it is a popular shopping day. When a shopping day is popular, it means a lot of people are shopping. When there is high demand, pricing pressure is reduced. I've found a lot of the sales are smoke and mirrors. The loss leaders are often specially manufactured models that are of either lower quality or fewer features. The really popular stuff gets a minimal or no discount.

I let my wife have fun shopping, but I usually sit it out these days.

Edit: Starting to see news articles about Black Friday, the upcoming holiday season, and the impact of tariffs. Small and medium sized businesses in particular may be hard hit, and have little leeway for sales (which customers expect.) Even bigger retailers like Walmart may make some adjustments. It looks like the biggest retailers have the biggest pricing power (no surprise there), so stay with them for the best sales. Online shops like Amazon should still have good deals.

Last year I got MoviePass from Costco around Black Friday, but I'm not expecting that deal to be around this year. I'm not sure MoviePass themselves will be around.

esar

Post by esar » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:40 am

atlanta_dad wrote:

- QLED/OLED TV
- MacBook laptop
- New midsize Car

Thanks for sharing!!
Roku Ultra 4K.. If the price is slashed under $50

yohac

Post by yohac » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:08 pm

The last thing I bought on a Black Friday was a Windows phone, back when that was a thing. Online, of course, no deal could ever be good enough to pull me into the brick-and-mortar hordes.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:30 pm

atlanta_dad wrote:

- QLED/OLED TV
- MacBook laptop
- New midsize Car

Thanks for sharing!!
Don't shop on black Friday. You usually end up buying stuff you don't need, and really savings if any are not worth the hassle.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:36 pm

I keep a list of things in a shopping cart I might buy at the right price whether that is black friday or some other day. I bought most of my Christmas presents last summer when they were on a sale that is unlikely to be repeated.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:43 pm

I rarely buy anything other than consumables. I certainly wouldn't go out to stores on that Friday. Don't need the hassle. If there were something I needed I might look at the online sales to see if there were any bargains on the item. That's theoretical, as it hasn't come up yet.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:40 pm

Nothing. I was in Europe last black Friday and will be in Europe this black Friday (coincidence). Most of the items that are truly good deals are very limited in quantity and require a lot of work ( like camping out overnight). There are constant deals....check out the deal websites (I have two favorites: dealsofamerica and techbargains).

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:33 pm

magicrat wrote:
No leftovers to eat?

Some years I look at a few of the ads. Some years I don't.

The trend in recent years seems to be a 50/50 chance of good deal on product I am actually intending to buy. Usually, there are really good deals on a product or two in any given category, but only on specific models that don't match what I'd be interested in - usually entry level or basic quality products.

Most of the rest of the sales prices seem similar to those that already come up throughout the year (maybe a little bit better, maybe not), but there's just more of them at once.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:26 pm

I had been shopping BF for about 20 years. I haven't done much the past 3 years because it is all gimmicks now. I have noticed that prices are usually cheaper the Wednesday before BF and the week before Christmas. I do the majority of my shopping for the year during the Christmas season, just not on Black Friday.

bluelight

Post by bluelight » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:39 pm

I've gone to stores late in the evening on Black Friday to find non battery powered sale games, crafts and books for donation. For a number of years my workplace had a fill a basket charity event and I would get the kids items on BF. The stores are usually emptied of the hot toys, but the simpler ones are still available.

jimmac9

Post by jimmac9 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:43 am

I stick to my budget religiously, and save all year long to purchase all of my clothing on black Friday. I go to the outlets and get anything ill need for the year. Whatever I cant find, I get on Cyber Monday, or save until after Christmas sales.

This also condenses all of my shopping to 1 or 2 days, which is cool because I hate it!!!

student

Post by student » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:45 am

Usually electronic stuff. But some of the cheap stuff are not that good.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:08 pm

I bought a Chromebook a few years ago. I'm typing on it now. Can't think of anything else.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

loslebenrl483

Post by loslebenrl483 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Be careful because some of the items, like TV's, aren't actually good deals. They're cheaper/lower quality versions of items.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/bu ... good-deal/

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:00 pm

BF or Cyber Monday isn't attractive to me. I do my due diligence when I need something by doing research and finding the best value prior to making my purchase. The amount I save will more than make up for the energy I need to consume by participating in BF / CM.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:50 am

Back in the days of Computer City, CompUSA and Circuit City, I used to go out on BF. Many stores were big on free after rebate deals. I tracked and got all my rebates. I would buy hundreds of dollars in products and pay little if anything. I was an avid FatWallet user.

I remember the whole family one year doing it, we were in Staples buying software, monitors, etc. We used Motorola TalkAbouts to coordinate. Checkout line snaked through the store. And Delaware had no sales tax (we lived over the line in PA).

Haven't shopped in physical stores on BF in many years. Haven't shopped BF period in many years either, the deals are on other days. Use your Citi card to do PriceRewind, but look for the matching prices yourself, don't trust their site to find them.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:49 am

mhc wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:22 pm
Verizon has had really good deals on cell phones. I have purchased new phones 2 of the last 3 years.
+1

If you are in the market for a new phone, black friday is your day if you can wait. You don’t even need to leave the house; most deals are available online.