DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
RickBoglehead

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by RickBoglehead »

Ring is $10 per month or $100 a year, if paid in advance.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

I have a few questions:

1) I assume these systems all have home/away modes so you can use an app (or maybe a keypad) to quickly change modes when you leave/return ?

2) If you have a monitoring service, I presume you can give custom instructions on what to do if you can't be contacted after an alarm ( say you're on a long plane flight, or in a foreign country without mobile access ) ? Will the service contact your local police station ?

3) Outdoor camera install -- it seems to me that this requires some work (mounting, power etc.) -- how hard is it for someone who's not great at DIY stuff ?
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

crg11 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:57 am I'm seriously considering going with Ring Alarm (I just picked up one of their doorbells).

$10/month monitoring vs. $42.99/month that I currently pay (Frontpoint) and that $10 includes video storage too for any of their doorbells/cameras. Even with the equipment purchase it looks I will break even just after a year, depending on how crazy I go with door/window sensors.

The only thing giving me pause is the lack of glass break sensors, but that hopefully is around the corner.
I am/was on fence between Simplisafe or ring. Leaning towards ring be because simplisafe camera is 720p instead of 1080p and more expensive monitoring.

I can see concern with no glass break. There are two scenarios to consider, security when home is empty and security when occupants are on premises. For the former, lack of glass break not a concern for me as I’m planning on motion activated cameras or motion detector.

As for the later, I agree it could be a pain if you arm those motion activated devices while you are at home as you can’t use that portion of the property. I’m leaning towards motion activated floodlight camera outside those windows (idea is to push the monitored perimeter away from the windows to lessen the dependence of needing a glass break).
BashDash wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:24 pm Makes sense.

I'm thinking then that RING still has the advantage withe cameras and the price. I have to imagine that they might come out with a panic button or glass break sensors eventually. Just as I would imagine that SS will eventually come out with a video doorbell?
Ring keypad does have panic option.
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:09 pm I have a few questions:

1) I assume these systems all have home/away modes so you can use an app (or maybe a keypad) to quickly change modes when you leave/return ?

2) If you have a monitoring service, I presume you can give custom instructions on what to do if you can't be contacted after an alarm ( say you're on a long plane flight, or in a foreign country without mobile access ) ? Will the service contact your local police station ?

3) Outdoor camera install -- it seems to me that this requires some work (mounting, power etc.) -- how hard is it for someone who's not great at DIY stuff ?
Ring has home/away/disarm modes which can be triggered by app or keypad.

Ring’s alarm response process. https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/artic ... cy-Process
SlowMovingInvestor

seawolf21 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:40 pm
Ring’s alarm response process. https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/artic ... cy-Process
Ring on Emergency contacts:

When choosing your emergency contact, make sure they are willing and able to do the following things:
They must be available to go to your address within 15-60 minutes (time varies depending on jurisdiction) if requested by the Police or Fire Department.
They must have a key or otherwise be able to give the Police or Fire Department access to your home.

My problem would be that when I'm out on for an extended period, my backup contact would likely be on vacation too and unable to respond within 15-60 minutes. I suppose this availability of the contact is a requirement for most local police departments otherwise they can't check inside. [It would be nice if the police department could at least do an external visual check, but I suppose that varies greatly depending on locality.]
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

I think I am going to go with Ring. Price seems significantly more reasonable with little change in the result. I'm sure they will be adding on other items that are missing too.
TxInjun

Post by TxInjun »

I've been a Simplisafe user since 2014, but have decided to move to Ring (I'll switch over this weekend). The Simplisafe base-station was simply unable to consistently connect to the network, and I'd just get weekly reminders to reboot the base-station or to move it to a different location. Thanks for that dynamite tip! I live in central San Jose, it made no sense that the system can't connect from almost any room in my house: and $25 / month was insult on top of injury.

SS's new gen 2 (or gen 3) equipment can connect over Wi=Fi and so should be an improvement, but Simplisafe needs you to upgrade all sensors at the same time, and don't give their loyal users any discount - their bundle is more expensive than Ring's. So I'm starting with a blank slate: and given that I recently installed the Ring doorbell (Pro version, powers off the line) and that works well, I decided to go with Ring for the whole system.
Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

TxInjun wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:15 pm I've been a Simplisafe user since 2014, but have decided to move to Ring (I'll switch over this weekend).
Please post back and let us know how it goes. Ring certainly has the best pricing for ongoing monitoring, although I wonder how long that will last. They also have middle of the road pricing for the equipment, except the exterior light/camera which at $250 is pricey. I'm not really interested in a camera, but the Ring exterior lights have built in sirens, so I gather they extend the base station siren to the exterior, which is a definite need and gives Ring a leg up on other systems - without an ancillary siren, the neighbors would never hear it. My hesitations specifically with the Ring system are:
1. Does the professional monitoring include the smoke/co sensor?
2. Lack of glassbreak detectors (this is a big one)
3. Does not seem possible to check the video on a regular browser - looks like you must download their windows app, or have their app on a phone, which imho introduces security concerns.

One thing I worry about with this wireless equipment is whether someone can drive up with equipment that jams all the wireless signals and just break into your house? Also, if it is on the same network as all the internet browsing it seems people could hack into it through household members browsing. I guess this would be a good reason to set up a separate wireless network and connect the Ring, and nothing else, to that?
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Saving$ wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:10 am One thing I worry about with this wireless equipment is whether someone can drive up with equipment that jams all the wireless signals and just break into your house? Also, if it is on the same network as all the internet browsing it seems people could hack into it through household members browsing. I guess this would be a good reason to set up a separate wireless network and connect the Ring, and nothing else, to that?
If someone is determined enough to target your property, they will find a way in; it’s just a matter of how much resources they want to spend in the effort. I think the point is really to make your property less attractive to burglarize than next door.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

seawolf21 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:52 pm
Saving$ wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:10 am One thing I worry about with this wireless equipment is whether someone can drive up with equipment that jams all the wireless signals and just break into your house? Also, if it is on the same network as all the internet browsing it seems people could hack into it through household members browsing. I guess this would be a good reason to set up a separate wireless network and connect the Ring, and nothing else, to that?
If someone is determined enough to target your property, they will find a way in; it’s just a matter of how much resources they want to spend in the effort. I think the point is really to make your property less attractive to burglarize than next door.
Wireless dependent alarm systems that rely on using outgoing internet connection instead of calling out alarm event via cell phone are at significant risk of being disabled manually. This is 100X more likely than your house being targeted by sophisticated thieves equipped with network sniffers and software and skill set to hack into your network. The real risk is that even the low end drug addled bumbling thieves know they can easily cut the outside telephone/cable/FIOS/etc. wires in 30 seconds right before they kick in the back door.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

jabberwockOG wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:25 pm
seawolf21 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:52 pm
Wireless dependent alarm systems that rely on using outgoing internet connection instead of calling out alarm event via cell phone are at significant risk of being disabled manually. This is 100X more likely than your house being targeted by sophisticated thieves equipped with network sniffers and software and skill set to hack into your network. The real risk is that even the low end drug addled bumbling thieves know they can easily cut the outside telephone/cable/FIOS/etc. wires in 30 seconds right before they kick in the back door.
Both ring and simplisafe have cellular backup. If one were to break the law is determined to break in, they would bring a cell jammer as well. As for a druggie, the key is make next door more of an attractive target than yours.
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Just purchased a video doorbell 2 from lowes.com. Used a 10% coupon purchased off of ebay and then used topcashback.com portal to get another 4% off. I had been really struggling with using RING or simplisafe but figured this would be a good starting point. Think I might add a floodlight camera for the side of house if I like the Doorbell. Thanks for all the insights on this thread.
TxInjun

Post by TxInjun »

Saving$ wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:10 am
TxInjun wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:15 pm I've been a Simplisafe user since 2014, but have decided to move to Ring (I'll switch over this weekend).
Please post back and let us know how it goes.
The install for the base-station was a little more complex than I was expecting, it took some time to get the base-station to talk properly to my Wi-Fi (kept asking to reset, for no reason). On like the 3rd try it clicked in. The sensors took time just to get the old sensors off, but generally it was easy. As others have noted the system automatically starts in Practice mode, so I was able to test out the features from my phone and DW's phone. I was all done in 2 hours - including removing the old sensors, set up the base station and install the new sensors. In my situation, I have 3 door sensors, 1 motion sensor, base station and keypad.

BTW the keypad doesn't have an alphanumeric display, so it can cause some confusion when the maid / petsitter etc. come in next. The old Simplisafe keypad had a text display so it helped guide any user.

Today as I was off at work, I saw a VERY strange phenomenon. The web app and the phone app said the base-station was offline. DW reported that the blue circle was on solid, which means "'connected". And the occasional update would show up on the history dashboard, which means the base-station is communicating over Wi-Fi. And then I come home, and the system is back online! Somehow feels like my phone presence in the house (Bluetooth I assume) is still needed. I'll check it out again tomorrow. May need to reset the base-station and reconnect Wi-Fi. But driving me up the wall.

Cheers

TxIn
SlowMovingInvestor

Somewhat related to this -- I see that SimpliSafe has it's own cameras, but they are around $99 or so.

I was thinking of gettiing a WyzeCam -- I see there are 2 models, one of which allows zoom/pan etc. If anyone has used these cameras, any comment on whether the zoom/pan version is significantly better in terms of functionality ? Also, is it sufficient to just rely on cloud storage (which is free), or should one get the SD card too ?

I also assume that most (all ?) monitoring cameras will become inaccessible if you lose power and your Wifi goes off. The video may still be stored on the SD card, but it will not be accessible. Is that correct ?
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:44 pm Somewhat related to this -- I see that SimpliSafe has it's own cameras, but they are around $99 or so.

I was thinking of gettiing a WyzeCam -- I see there are 2 models, one of which allows zoom/pan etc. If anyone has used these cameras, any comment on whether the zoom/pan version is significantly better in terms of functionality ? Also, is it sufficient to just rely on cloud storage (which is free), or should one get the SD card too ?

I also assume that most (all ?) monitoring cameras will become inaccessible if you lose power and your Wifi goes off. The video may still be stored on the SD card, but it will not be accessible. Is that correct ?
I bought the non zoom/pan version, along with SD card. I love it and don't know why I didn't buy it earlier! The speaker is a bit loud and isn't that clear sometimes, but camera is perfect and that is its main purpose. Plus I love the app -- I just wish it had more finer setting on when to turn on monitoring. Oh well, you can't have everything when you pay $25 for the camera.
I did not go with zoom/pan version as I didn't feel the need and some reviewers on amazon complained that it didn't work for them. Its relatively newer model, so maybe I will let others be initial adapters and buy when they have worked out the kinks.
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

I wish the wyZe had an outdoor camera. I bought a few indoor ones and pointed them out a window to no avail.
SlowMovingInvestor

TheOscarGuy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:18 am
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:44 pm Somewhat related to this -- I see that SimpliSafe has it's own cameras, but they are around $99 or so.

I bought the non zoom/pan version, along with SD card. I love it and don't know why I didn't buy it earlier! The speaker is a bit loud and isn't that clear sometimes, but camera is perfect and that is its main purpose. Plus I love the app -- I just wish it had more finer setting on when to turn on monitoring. Oh well, you can't have everything when you pay $25 for the camera.
I did not go with zoom/pan version as I didn't feel the need and some reviewers on amazon complained that it didn't work for them. Its relatively newer model, so maybe I will let others be initial adapters and buy when they have worked out the kinks.
Thanks -- what exactly does the SD give you extra ? It means you can view full motion video from your app ? But that is not uploaded to the cloud, so if an intruder steals the camera :(, you don't have anything extra with the SD card ?
SlowMovingInvestor

FYI -- I wandered by SimpliSafe's site, and I see they have a 48 hr sale with 15% off and a free camera thrown in.

Not sure if these sales are 'normal'.

I also saw they're selling 'old' SimpliSafe kits much cheaper -- but I gather they have a complicated security loophole. That by itself may not be much of an issue (I think if a burglar is savvy enough to exploit the loophole, then s/he could likely find some other way to break in. But I also read that old SS is not compatible with new SS, so it locks you.