DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Saving$
Posts: 1617
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:33 pm

DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by Saving$ » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:09 am

Is there a reliable website that evaluates the many options that now seem available for a DIY home security system?

SimpliSafe has been the default recommended on this board for a few years. However, their monthly monitoring seems expensive
- $180/year for their basic
- $302/year for the upgrade

Ooma, Nest, Ring and some others seem to have similar systems. Nest costs more to monitor than Simplisafe...Ring is $100/year for the most comprehensive plan....

Does anyone have some experience with the above or other systems, and pros and cons of the various systems?

RickBoglehead
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:40 am

Big difference between central station monitoring and self monitoring. Simplisafe is central station monitoring with no contract. Ooma appears to not be. Website has typos... Nest is 3 year contract or more expensive. Central station monitoring gets an insurance discount.

We have Simplisafe in our cottage and a traditional system at home. Our Simplisafe is gen 2, gen 3 came out earlier this year.

Batteries cost $2 each bought at Amazon in 12 pack and many sensors last a year. Because we leave it unoccupied for 5 or 6 months in a row, we replace all batteries each November. Annoying.
New system claims better battery life.

Response is lightning fast, beats our traditional system. Cellular wins over internet monitoring hands down. $24.99 a month is not $302... We use remote arm and disarm, boathouse is on system so we arm after pulling boat out and disarm as we approach.

Wireless sensors have issues from time to time and require batteries.

tyrnup13
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by tyrnup13 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:44 am

I've got no experience with any of the home security systems. I thought I'd add Wyze Cam to the list of researchable products though, recommended by a frugal friend who is in the tech industry.

Cheyenne
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:46 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by Cheyenne » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:42 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:40 am

(Simplisafe)

Wireless sensors have issues from time to time and require batteries.
Our Simplisafe motion sensor and smoke sensor both triggered false alarms. Unacceptable IMO.

dominque
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:45 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by dominque » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:45 am

I'm using Ooma and I like the simplicity of the system. All the devices are powered by Amazon purchased lithium-ion rechargeable batteries. I use door, window, motion detectors, and leak monitors. The system alerts me almost instantaneously if a door/window is open or leak detected. A 911 button appears on my smartphone app which rings local authorities. I really like the log feature as well.

I have about $500.00 invested in devices and pay $10.50 per month for Ooma premier which includes the monitoring as well as other features, such as home phone, a second number, call forwarding, conferencing, etc. I own all the equipment and it's very portable should I move.

Very pleased and I prefer passive monitoring versus contractual monitoring.

AussieDad
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:54 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by AussieDad » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:10 am

My house was pre wired in the late 90’s. I installed a Honeywell Vista 20p system myself with a combination of wired and wireless devices. I self monitor with an envisalink board. I also have 2 nest cameras, a blink camera and 2 wyze cameras. My nest cameras qualify me for a discount through my homeowners insurance which covers about half the yearly fee for the cameras.

pochax
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:40 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by pochax » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:09 pm

i have been using SimpliSafe for >1 year and find it is fine. i also use Arlo wireless cameras around my perimeter with no subscription service but still get several days of cloud storage for free for up to 5 cameras. i also use Nest Hello doorbell camera with the Nest Aware subscription for 24/7 recording available up to 5 days and familiar face ID.
total cost per year:
Simplisafe (upgraded): ~$300/year
Nest Aware: ~$50/year
Arlo: Free/ year

total cost: $350/yr (<$30/month)

cal_orchid
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:30 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by cal_orchid » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:03 pm

I have been using the Frontpoint system for 4 months now and pay about 30/month for their mid-tier monitoring service which includes remote control of the system via their app. I took advantage of a number of promotional discounts and negotiated a discounted monthly rate with the membership sales team. The downside is that I am locked into a 3 year commitment. The system is not cheap (especially compared to SimpliSafe and Ring) but the system does its job and the customer service has been excellent, which is important to me. I may supplement the system with additional cameras but I plan to look outside of Frontpoint for more frugal options.

ncbill
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by ncbill » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:23 pm

dominque wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:45 am
I'm using Ooma and I like the simplicity of the system. All the devices are powered by Amazon purchased lithium-ion rechargeable batteries. I use door, window, motion detectors, and leak monitors. The system alerts me almost instantaneously if a door/window is open or leak detected. A 911 button appears on my smartphone app which rings local authorities. I really like the log feature as well.

I have about $500.00 invested in devices and pay $10.50 per month for Ooma premier which includes the monitoring as well as other features, such as home phone, a second number, call forwarding, conferencing, etc. I own all the equipment and it's very portable should I move.

Very pleased and I prefer passive monitoring versus contractual monitoring.
Wait, so if I move my VOIP phone from the cable company over to Ooma & pay for Premiere I also get monitoring for their home security system for no extra charge?

dominque
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:45 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by dominque » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:59 am

I refer to it as "passive monitoring, in that I receive a notification via email, IM if any device has been triggered. I'm presented with a 911 dial button to contact authorities in my local area.

TheOscarGuy
Posts: 544
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Where I wanna be.

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by TheOscarGuy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:54 am

Saving$ wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:09 am
Is there a reliable website that evaluates the many options that now seem available for a DIY home security system?

SimpliSafe has been the default recommended on this board for a few years. However, their monthly monitoring seems expensive
- $180/year for their basic
- $302/year for the upgrade

Ooma, Nest, Ring and some others seem to have similar systems. Nest costs more to monitor than Simplisafe...Ring is $100/year for the most comprehensive plan....

Does anyone have some experience with the above or other systems, and pros and cons of the various systems?
I think ~$25 per month is a decent price (simplisafe) to pay for peace of mind. I think Nest is honestly quite overpriced. For additional video monitoring I would highly recommend wyze cameras -- much cheaper than simplisafe, and awesome app that supports the camera.

forgeblast
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:45 am
Location: PA
Contact:

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by forgeblast » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:42 am

We have the ring system. Doorbell and four plug in camera around our house and in our barn. 100 a year to store all the alerts we get in case we need them. They were very easy to install did them all in a day.
The doorbell is wireless/battery
the others are plug in and connect to our wifi.
Overall really happy with them.

jjface
Posts: 2566
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by jjface » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:08 am

Whilst researching myself a couple of points to note:

Ring is ATT and there are no glass break sensors. Very low fee. Especialy good value if you have their cameras/doorbell too.

Simplisafe is more expensive especially if you want the upgraded service with app support. It does work with tmobile/verizon though which may or may not be preferable. I liked the look of the equipment better and they have more options. Camera is supposed to be poor and you really need the more expensive monitoring pla
n to make full use of it.

Nest is expensive especially for monitoring but seems to be no better than the rest. The combined door and motion sensors look interesting. Need to lock into 3 yrs for the best price.

I have a wyze camera. Works well though I do get false readings from the motion detector which is annoying. Cheap and easy to set up.

User avatar
Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 6:17 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:10 am

Abode looks like a competitor to SimpliSafe. Slightly different pricing model and offers both self-monitoring via the Internet and app as well as UL centralized monitoring. I haven't heard any opinions from Abode customers yet. I've used and recommended SimpliSafe for others for the past few years.

armeliusc
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:40 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by armeliusc » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:32 am

We use SimpliSafe with basics monitoring. We have their entry sensors, glass break, and motion sensors. We had to disable the motion sensors because it keeps tripping due to the way our windows get sun light in the afternoon. We like SimpliSafe because it's no commitment, and basically DIY for the sensors. They are very easy to install and remove, so if we decide to move to something else the sunk cost would just be the sensor's.

We also use Nest cameras & protect (smoke + CO detector) for our own 'self monitoring' and peace of mind. Nest app and alerts seem to be better compared to other, IMO. Also, to have cameras that are plugged in to power was in my requirement.

cold_roses
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:28 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by cold_roses » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Had Simplisafe - was shipped a defective keypad, then after spending an hour with support found out the base station needed an update pushed out, and have had two false alarms from the smoke detectors leading to panicked trips home only to find nothing at all was wrong. Once the smoke detector was deemed faulty and a free replacement provided, but the second false alarm was the final straw.

Would not recommend.

Saving$
Posts: 1617
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by Saving$ » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:22 pm

The challenge with all of these seems to be the equipment is tied to the ongoing monitoring. Once they get enough market share (equipment sold) they can up the monthly cost to whatever they want - people will be stuck either paying it, having no monitoring, or buying new hardware.

Looks like there are some generic wireless systems, such as the Doberman sold by Home Depot, and Honeywell that you can assemble and install yourself, and get any UL certified center to monitor for alarms...

seawolf21
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:33 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by seawolf21 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:04 pm

Any known hacks for Ring? The prior generation of SimpliSafe appear to be vulnerable to replay attack.

BashDash
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by BashDash » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:08 am

I've seen some mention of WYZE cameras so I bought a couple. I have it looking outside a window at the front door however I am having trouble with it reflecting off of the window. Is there any way to fix this? It was super easy to set up and the app as well. I feel like this would be a cheaper way to accomplish what the RING system does...

User avatar
queso
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by queso » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:10 am

BashDash wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:08 am
I've seen some mention of WYZE cameras so I bought a couple. I have it looking outside a window at the front door however I am having trouble with it reflecting off of the window. Is there any way to fix this? It was super easy to set up and the app as well. I feel like this would be a cheaper way to accomplish what the RING system does...
I tried that with Cisco and Netgear cameras and the results were never good. The big problem is reflections at night. If there are any lights on in your home at all your camera will only show the reflection in the window. I was only able to get around it by installing cameras outside.

mogg
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by mogg » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:53 pm

I chose Abode over Simplisafe primarily because:

- It is cheaper: I can self monitor with smartphone/email alerts for free
- Integration with zwave and zigbee (I'm an engineer so that matters to me)
- Integration with google, amazon, nest
- Free 3 days of photo and timeline storage

The weaknesses of Abode are:

- The cameras suck. I supplement with yi home cameras
- Younger, less established company

OnTrack
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:16 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by OnTrack » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:13 am

A couple of comments on cameras:
- If you install cameras that take a power over Ethernet (PoE) connection, you won't have to worry about replacing batteries (but the installation will probably be more difficult/expensive). Some NVRs (network video recorders) can provide PoE to the cameras over cat 5e (or cat 6).
- If you want to be able to capture license plate numbers, you may need HD cameras which are more expensive than non-HD cameras.
- If you go with an NVR, you may want several Terabytes of hard disk depending on how many cameras you have, whether you record continuously, how many pixels each camera uses, and how many days of images you want saved.

Cheyenne
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:46 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by Cheyenne » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:19 am

cold_roses wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:00 pm
...Simplisafe... ...have had two false alarms...
Me too - unacceptable.

BashDash
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by BashDash » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Were your false alarms from entry sensors? I plan on avoiding the motion sensors because I feel they would lead to the most false alarms.

I'm stuck deciding between ring and simplisafe. Pros for ring would be that it is cheaper for the year and has cameras accessible to wifi. Pros for simplisafe would be the availability of the panic button.

I'm not really looking to protect the house when we aren't home but protect for when my family is home but I'm not.

regularguy455
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by regularguy455 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:49 pm

I use a monitored system through Abode and integrate it with external Blink XT cameras using IFTTT. Very happy with it. The Abode internal camera isn’t great but that’s OK with my external cams.

Cheyenne
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:46 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by Cheyenne » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Were your false alarms from entry sensors?
No false alarm with the motion sensors. However, on occasion when arming the system, it reports that a motion sensor is not ready. Then I remove and reinstall the batteries. That seems to work.

User avatar
serbeer
Posts: 1142
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by serbeer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:35 pm

Cheyenne wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:00 pm
Were your false alarms from entry sensors?
No false alarm with the motion sensors. However, on occasion when arming the system, it reports that a motion sensor is not ready. Then I remove and reinstall the batteries. That seems to work.
This is alarming. Is your Simplysafe system's hardware the new 2018 generation one, or older one?

Cheyenne
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:46 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by Cheyenne » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:38 am

My apologies. In my earlier post I wrote "No false alarms with MOTION SENSORS (my caps). "That was incorrect. What I meant to write was "No false alarms with ENTRY SENSORS." But, the entry sensors need to have their batteries removed and replaced occasionally in order to arm the system.

We have had false alarms with SimpliSafe's motion sensor and smoke sensor.

To answer your question, we have the old hardware. I purchased it about a year ago. Several weeks ago they offered to sell me new hardware at 40% off. I said no thanks. Last year's stuff was supposed to work too.

quantAndHold
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:51 am

Do you need an alarm system? Are you in a bad neighborhood? Away from home a lot?

pennylane
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:22 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by pennylane » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:21 am

We have arlo, nest and canary.

Nest IQ cameras have been the best so far.

$50 first camera, $30 for any additional. That’s what I’d go for if I was you.

User avatar
serbeer
Posts: 1142
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by serbeer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:16 am

pennylane wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:21 am
We have arlo, nest and canary.

Nest IQ cameras have been the best so far.

$50 first camera, $30 for any additional. That’s what I’d go for if I was you.
I am sorry, but how do you get Next IQ for $50????? I see it goes for $300 indoor / $350 outdoor each. Or is it monitoring price on top of equipment cost?

pennylane
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:22 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by pennylane » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:49 pm

serbeer wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:16 am
pennylane wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:21 am
We have arlo, nest and canary.

Nest IQ cameras have been the best so far.

$50 first camera, $30 for any additional. That’s what I’d go for if I was you.
I am sorry, but how do you get Next IQ for $50????? I see it goes for $300 indoor / $350 outdoor each. Or is it monitoring price on top of equipment cost?
$50 is the monitoring yearly fee. $30 is the additional charge.

total of $80 per year for 2 cameras with face detection, 5 days of video storage in the clouds. Very very accurate and a great way to keep en eye out on your home while you're away.

2015
Posts: 1992
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by 2015 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:05 pm

forgeblast wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:42 am
We have the ring system. Doorbell and four plug in camera around our house and in our barn. 100 a year to store all the alerts we get in case we need them. They were very easy to install did them all in a day.
The doorbell is wireless/battery
the others are plug in and connect to our wifi.
Overall really happy with them.
Thanks for this. It just so happens I'll be in the market for an alarm system quite soon. I swear I learn more in these types of personal finance threads than in all the noisy investing threads combined. I really like Ring's pricing as I'm not interested in monitoring and also like the ease of installation.

One question: I was reading Ring reviews, as well as the Q&A's with the Ring CSR, and it appears you don't have the ability to turn off the home alarm once it has started (either at home or remotely). In the Q&A, the CSR stated it is a functionality Ring is looking into adding in the future. This is my only concern because if I can't turn off the alarm until it runs through some pre-determined cycle. My concern is if it turns out to be a false alarm, my neighbors will be none too happy. Did I misread?

forgeblast
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:45 am
Location: PA
Contact:

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by forgeblast » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:15 am

Not sure, you can turn the alarm on yourself, the cameras themselves will not trigger the siren alarm. There are alerts for movement that you get and you can set your "zones". but as far as the alarm seeing movement and then triggering the siren that doesn't happen with the cameras we have.

User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 1455
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:03 am

We have been running a pretty robust Simplisafe system for about 18 months including entry, flood, glass break, and motion sensors with zero false alarms.

IN a sensor trip event the Simplisafe system calls the monitoring station via its inbuilt cell phone. It also runs its own (with battery back up) wireless network to all sensors so it has zero dependency on your network/wireless being up and running. Too many thieves are aware that cutting the cable and telephone line on the side of the house (takes 30 seconds and very easy to do) can disable many network and landline dependent alarm systems that do not use inbuilt cell calling and are home network dependent.

2015
Posts: 1992
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by 2015 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:04 am

forgeblast wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:15 am
Not sure, you can turn the alarm on yourself, the cameras themselves will not trigger the siren alarm. There are alerts for movement that you get and you can set your "zones". but as far as the alarm seeing movement and then triggering the siren that doesn't happen with the cameras we have.
Thank you. This is what I was referring to about a CSR in a Q&A session answering that Ring has no functionality for being able to turn the alarm off before it's preset 10 minute alarm cycle:
Q: I've seen opposing answers to the question regarding if the ring security siren can be turned off/silenced? One said No and one said it can be turned down using the Ring App. Can the siren be turned down so NO sound comes from the unit and keypad or not? (1 Answer)
By rgsBB 1 month ago

Answers
A: Hi RgsBB, Thanks for reaching out. The siren on your Ring Alarm will automatically shut itself off after 10 minutes of alarming. At this time, there is no way to manually turn the siren off, we do, however, look very forward to integrating this feature in the near future. Thanks, Kaitlyn R., Customer Satisfaction Specialist Kaitlyn.rosenthal@ring.com
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questions/ ... heme=alarm

forgeblast
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:45 am
Location: PA
Contact:

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by forgeblast » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:29 am

2015 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:04 am
forgeblast wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:15 am
Not sure, you can turn the alarm on yourself, the cameras themselves will not trigger the siren alarm. There are alerts for movement that you get and you can set your "zones". but as far as the alarm seeing movement and then triggering the siren that doesn't happen with the cameras we have.
Thank you. This is what I was referring to about a CSR in a Q&A session answering that Ring has no functionality for being able to turn the alarm off before it's preset 10 minute alarm cycle:
Q: I've seen opposing answers to the question regarding if the ring security siren can be turned off/silenced? One said No and one said it can be turned down using the Ring App. Can the siren be turned down so NO sound comes from the unit and keypad or not? (1 Answer)
By rgsBB 1 month ago

Answers
A: Hi RgsBB, Thanks for reaching out. The siren on your Ring Alarm will automatically shut itself off after 10 minutes of alarming. At this time, there is no way to manually turn the siren off, we do, however, look very forward to integrating this feature in the near future. Thanks, Kaitlyn R., Customer Satisfaction Specialist Kaitlyn.rosenthal@ring.com
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questions/ ... heme=alarm
That makes sense now. I was going to try it and there is a warning that it is loud and your neighbors will hear it. I didn't want certain neighbors to know we have it so I did not test out how loud it was. Good to know thanks for posting the info!!!

btw I do not have that system, I have the cameras and use the ring app to access them.

seawolf21
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:33 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by seawolf21 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 pm

2015 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:05 pm
forgeblast wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:42 am
We have the ring system. Doorbell and four plug in camera around our house and in our barn. 100 a year to store all the alerts we get in case we need them. They were very easy to install did them all in a day.
The doorbell is wireless/battery
the others are plug in and connect to our wifi.
Overall really happy with them.
Thanks for this. It just so happens I'll be in the market for an alarm system quite soon. I swear I learn more in these types of personal finance threads than in all the noisy investing threads combined. I really like Ring's pricing as I'm not interested in monitoring and also like the ease of installation.

One question: I was reading Ring reviews, as well as the Q&A's with the Ring CSR, and it appears you don't have the ability to turn off the home alarm once it has started (either at home or remotely). In the Q&A, the CSR stated it is a functionality Ring is looking into adding in the future. This is my only concern because if I can't turn off the alarm until it runs through some pre-determined cycle. My concern is if it turns out to be a false alarm, my neighbors will be none too happy. Did I misread?
There was a Q/A question on BestBuy which suggest you can disarm the system even when triggered.

According to the user guide, you can disarm the alarm after it is triggered. If it is disarmed within 30 seconds from when the alarm is triggered, the monitoring station does not call you.

2015
Posts: 1992
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by 2015 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:25 pm

seawolf21 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 pm
2015 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:05 pm
forgeblast wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:42 am
We have the ring system. Doorbell and four plug in camera around our house and in our barn. 100 a year to store all the alerts we get in case we need them. They were very easy to install did them all in a day.
The doorbell is wireless/battery
the others are plug in and connect to our wifi.
Overall really happy with them.
Thanks for this. It just so happens I'll be in the market for an alarm system quite soon. I swear I learn more in these types of personal finance threads than in all the noisy investing threads combined. I really like Ring's pricing as I'm not interested in monitoring and also like the ease of installation.

One question: I was reading Ring reviews, as well as the Q&A's with the Ring CSR, and it appears you don't have the ability to turn off the home alarm once it has started (either at home or remotely). In the Q&A, the CSR stated it is a functionality Ring is looking into adding in the future. This is my only concern because if I can't turn off the alarm until it runs through some pre-determined cycle. My concern is if it turns out to be a false alarm, my neighbors will be none too happy. Did I misread?
There was a Q/A question on BestBuy which suggest you can disarm the system even when triggered.

According to the user guide, you can disarm the alarm after it is triggered. If it is disarmed within 30 seconds from when the alarm is triggered, the monitoring station does not call you.
Much appreciated!

seawolf21
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:33 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by seawolf21 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:31 am

2015 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:25 pm
seawolf21 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 pm
2015 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:05 pm
forgeblast wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:42 am
We have the ring system. Doorbell and four plug in camera around our house and in our barn. 100 a year to store all the alerts we get in case we need them. They were very easy to install did them all in a day.
The doorbell is wireless/battery
the others are plug in and connect to our wifi.
Overall really happy with them.
Thanks for this. It just so happens I'll be in the market for an alarm system quite soon. I swear I learn more in these types of personal finance threads than in all the noisy investing threads combined. I really like Ring's pricing as I'm not interested in monitoring and also like the ease of installation.

One question: I was reading Ring reviews, as well as the Q&A's with the Ring CSR, and it appears you don't have the ability to turn off the home alarm once it has started (either at home or remotely). In the Q&A, the CSR stated it is a functionality Ring is looking into adding in the future. This is my only concern because if I can't turn off the alarm until it runs through some pre-determined cycle. My concern is if it turns out to be a false alarm, my neighbors will be none too happy. Did I misread?
There was a Q/A question on BestBuy which suggest you can disarm the system even when triggered.

According to the user guide, you can disarm the alarm after it is triggered. If it is disarmed within 30 seconds from when the alarm is triggered, the monitoring station does not call you.
Much appreciated!
Home Depot sells various ring equipment. I just picked one up yesterday (HD has 90 day return). App is pretty slick. Neighborhood watch is interesting if you choose to share your videos (videos of people sitting in a owner's backyard; porch pirate; people going around and testing out for unlocked vehicles etc).

You can definitely disarm the system while it is alarming either by app or keypad.

crg11
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:16 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by crg11 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:57 am

I'm seriously considering going with Ring Alarm (I just picked up one of their doorbells).

$10/month monitoring vs. $42.99/month that I currently pay (Frontpoint) and that $10 includes video storage too for any of their doorbells/cameras. Even with the equipment purchase it looks I will break even just after a year, depending on how crazy I go with door/window sensors.

The only thing giving me pause is the lack of glass break sensors, but that hopefully is around the corner.

2015
Posts: 1992
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by 2015 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:57 am

seawolf21 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:31 am
2015 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:25 pm
seawolf21 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 pm
2015 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:05 pm
forgeblast wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:42 am
We have the ring system. Doorbell and four plug in camera around our house and in our barn. 100 a year to store all the alerts we get in case we need them. They were very easy to install did them all in a day.
The doorbell is wireless/battery
the others are plug in and connect to our wifi.
Overall really happy with them.
Thanks for this. It just so happens I'll be in the market for an alarm system quite soon. I swear I learn more in these types of personal finance threads than in all the noisy investing threads combined. I really like Ring's pricing as I'm not interested in monitoring and also like the ease of installation.

One question: I was reading Ring reviews, as well as the Q&A's with the Ring CSR, and it appears you don't have the ability to turn off the home alarm once it has started (either at home or remotely). In the Q&A, the CSR stated it is a functionality Ring is looking into adding in the future. This is my only concern because if I can't turn off the alarm until it runs through some pre-determined cycle. My concern is if it turns out to be a false alarm, my neighbors will be none too happy. Did I misread?
There was a Q/A question on BestBuy which suggest you can disarm the system even when triggered.

According to the user guide, you can disarm the alarm after it is triggered. If it is disarmed within 30 seconds from when the alarm is triggered, the monitoring station does not call you.
Much appreciated!
Home Depot sells various ring equipment. I just picked one up yesterday (HD has 90 day return). App is pretty slick. Neighborhood watch is interesting if you choose to share your videos (videos of people sitting in a owner's backyard; porch pirate; people going around and testing out for unlocked vehicles etc).

You can definitely disarm the system while it is alarming either by app or keypad.
Thanks very much. Appreciate it. I like that idea of a 90 day return policy. I've definitely decided on the ring as I like it's ease of setup (per the reviews), lower cost (not interested in anything other than my own monitoring). Appreciate this thread.

BashDash
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by BashDash » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Thanks for all the updates to this thread.

I'm heavily leaning towards RING now. What do you think would be better for a homeowner that is not necessarily that concerned in protecting house when one is NOT home but more concerned with when we ARE home. I'm securing all the important things in a house like doors, making sure outside has light at night, and other things. The RING cameras would be effective in keeping an eye on anything while we are home. I wish they had some sort of panic button like Simplisafe as I do see that as a pro for Simplisafe and a con for RING.

Has anyone used a window alarm on any windows that are of concern? I looked into the Doberman Window sensors which I guess have the purpose of just scaring away an intruder while not being connected to a service.

As usual, I'm overwhelmed by all of these options.

pochax
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:40 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by pochax » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:22 pm

i would be skeptical of the full value of a system without central monitoring unless there are plenty of nearby homes within earshot of your residence to hear the alarm (but no guarantee they would hear it). if there is an intruder and you are home, what good does it do if he decides to stay and do evil? it will wake you up for sure and perhaps give you a chance to do something about it, but don't you want to know help is on the way?

BashDash
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by BashDash » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Makes sense.

I'm thinking then that RING still has the advantage withe cameras and the price. I have to imagine that they might come out with a panic button or glass break sensors eventually. Just as I would imagine that SS will eventually come out with a video doorbell?

pochax
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:40 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by pochax » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:26 pm

BashDash wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:24 pm
Makes sense.

I'm thinking then that RING still has the advantage withe cameras and the price. I have to imagine that they might come out with a panic button or glass break sensors eventually. Just as I would imagine that SS will eventually come out with a video doorbell?
ask and you shall receive. SS is releasing a video doorbell:
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... gle-camera

BashDash
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by BashDash » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:29 pm

Wow that was quick :).

What do you think of the pricing?

Camera recording is available on a subscription-based plan for $5 a month for a single camera or $10 a month for unlimited cameras.

forgeblast
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:45 am
Location: PA
Contact:

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by forgeblast » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:40 pm

Home security when your home, I would look at something that prevents the door from being kicked in like the strike master 2 series of door jams, and we also put anti break film on our windows. Our doodle is big, and will let out a nice bark if needed.

pochax
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:40 am

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by pochax » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:45 pm

BashDash wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:29 pm
Wow that was quick :).

What do you think of the pricing?

Camera recording is available on a subscription-based plan for $5 a month for a single camera or $10 a month for unlimited cameras.
well Ring would be $10/month without central monitoring (but cameras included, right?)

SS would be $10/month for all cameras but also $15/mo for base-level central monitoring ($25/mo for higher level functions with remote access/etc.)

seems comparable and you basically pay for what you want.

BashDash
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: DIY Home Security: SimpliSafe vs Ooma vs Nest vs Ring vs Other?

Post by BashDash » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:53 pm

I thought I read that Ring was 100$ for the year including monitoring. I need to check out website again I guess

Post Reply