Battery backup sump pump recommended?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
krappei

Battery backup sump pump recommended?

Post by krappei » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:31 pm

Hi,

If I have a backup generator, does it make sense to install a battery backup sump pump in case the main sump pump fails?

Thanks!

ResearchMed

Re: Battery backup sump pump recommended?

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:34 pm

krappei wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:31 pm
Hi,

If I have a backup generator, does it make sense to install a battery backup sump pump in case the main sump pump fails?

Thanks!
You may want to have a backup sump pump in case the main one fails (or the flow is too fast).

But if you have a backup generator, why would you need battery power?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

krappei

Post by krappei » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:08 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:34 pm
krappei wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!
You may want to have a backup sump pump in case the main one fails (or the flow is too fast).

RM
Good point on the power. Do I need the backup sump installed or just one ready to swap out (if that’s even an option)?

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:11 pm

krappei wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:08 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:34 pm
krappei wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

RM
Good point on the power. Do I need the backup sump installed or just one ready to swap out (if that’s even an option)?
We've got an automatic switch if the primary conks out, or if the water gets too high while the primary is running.

If you've ever seen what can happen when a sump pump is *needed* and isn't there or fails... a) you might not notice if the backup is needed, and b) you might not have much time, or might be working in water... and there is going to be electricity involved (unless you have a bunch of hamsters on treadmills on standby :happy ).

RM

graeme

Post by graeme » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:37 pm

For backup sump pumps, I like the ones powered by water pressure. Liberty Pumps makes some that are simple and can be installed to automatically operate if the main sump pump doesn't work for some reason.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:13 pm

krappei wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!
I would have redundant pumps... The Pump will cost you around $4-500 installed generally... you have back up power so you don't really need a battery.. but you can always add that back up battery for around $200.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:15 pm

graeme wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:37 pm
For backup sump pumps, I like the ones powered by water pressure. Liberty Pumps makes some that are simple and can be installed to automatically operate if the main sump pump doesn't work for some reason.
I read about these options. It was new to me but seemed pretty cool. I might eventually convert over that way.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:24 pm

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:13 pm
krappei wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!
I would have redundant pumps... The Pump will cost you around $4-500 installed generally... you have back up power so you don't really need a battery.. but you can always add that back up battery for around $200.
We put in the backup generator (most of the house is covered) in good part due to the sump pump, after Sandy. It didn't affect us, but we started thinking that in a long storm, such as a hurricane with lots of rain/water, battery power wouldn't last long if the pump was going full steam ahead.

And flood insurance doesn't cover much. It might be okay if one doesn't have fully finished/furnished space...
(We'd be expected to sling the treadmill over our shoulders :shock: and carry it out the back door, around the side, and back up the front steps, because it won't make the "turn" to get up the staircase from the lower level to first floor. Ditto the elliptical, sofa and small dining table, and trundle bed and dressers in the Guest bedroom, etc.)

RM

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:27 pm

Do you have a finished basement? If so, I'd want dual standard pumps and dual battery pumps if possible. We had a freak storm dump nearly ten inches of rain at once. It was an insane amount of water. More pumps = more flow. The cost of a good system is cheap insurance.

Pumps fail along with generators. Nothing is 100%, but the more redundancy the better.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:03 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:24 pm
tesuzuki2002 wrote:
krappei wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!
We put in the backup generator (most of the house is covered) in good part due to the sump pump, after Sandy. It didn't affect us, but we started thinking that in a long storm, such as a hurricane with lots of rain/water, battery power wouldn't last long if the pump was going full steam ahead.

And flood insurance doesn't cover much. It might be okay if one doesn't have fully finished/furnished space...
(We'd be expected to sling the treadmill over our shoulders :shock: and carry it out the back door, around the side, and back up the front steps, because it won't make the "turn" to get up the staircase from the lower level to first floor. Ditto the elliptical, sofa and small dining table, and trundle bed and dressers in the Guest bedroom, etc.)

RM
Considering extended periods of power outage along with higher than normal water... the whole house generator is the way to go for sure. Battery back up is usually go for 4-6 hours depending on how much battery you buy.

I would ad redundancy to the pump situation since you have a single point of failure there... or if the first pump simply can't keep up with the amount of water...

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:17 pm

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:03 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:24 pm
tesuzuki2002 wrote:
krappei wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

RM
Considering extended periods of power outage along with higher than normal water... the whole house generator is the way to go for sure. Battery back up is usually go for 4-6 hours depending on how much battery you buy.

I would ad redundancy to the pump situation since you have a single point of failure there... or if the first pump simply can't keep up with the amount of water...
Yup, as I mentioned above, but didn't mention just now, we've now got a secondary sump pump, in a different "hole" near the original.
It will kick in if the main one fails OR if it can't keep up.

We feel so much better now that it's redundant *and* powered by the generator if needed.
And it's very comforting each week when the generator does it's little self test and sends us a "hello I'm fine" text message no matter where we are. (The housesitter doesn't need a message. If she's "on duty", she'll hear it.)

RM

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Second pump powered by water pressure is the way to go.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.