Did you really have something to retire to?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
flyingaway

Did you really have something to retire to?

Post by flyingaway » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:55 pm

We usually see comments here that "you need to have something to retire to"?
For those who are retired, did you really have something solid to retire to?
For those who plan to retire soon, do you have something in your mind that you will be retired to?
Or let's retire first, and find that something later?

KlangFool

Re: Did you really have something to retire to?

Post by KlangFool » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:01 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:55 pm
For those who plan to retire soon, do you have something in your mind that you will be retired to?
flyingaway,

The good thing about being unemployed for more than 1 year a few times is I have plenty of practices on non-working living. So, yes, I know what I would do when I am not working for a living. There is life beyond work.

KlangFool

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:09 pm

We bought a horse farm about 5 years ago, did significant remodeling to the house and are very much looking forward to being there full time in June. I figured out that I have about a years worth of projects that will be more cosmetic to the acreage than costly that we'll begin to tackle once we're back full time - not including the routine activity that will go on besides the projects. I have some costly projects as well, such as putting up a solar system that may or may not fall into the first year of activity. We have a lot of interests beyond the farm so that is a big plus as well. For us, we think this route is a very good way to live the rest of our productive lives. No doubt we will always have something to do...

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:11 pm

I retired in order to spend more time doing the things that I enjoy and less time doing the things that I don’t enjoy,

I am not sure what you mean by “solid.” If you mean a specific plan on how I was going to spend all the time that I previously spent working, then no.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:12 pm

flyingaway wrote:
I didn't. Not a clue. It has not been a problem. :happy

sport

Post by sport » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:14 pm

I retired to a life with less stress.

kacang

Post by kacang » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Retiring next year. Rough ideas are spend more time with loved ones, especially elderly in family and pursue some neglected interests. But exact plan? Not really, it's going to be an adventure and I'm excited to explore :happy

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:25 pm

20 years ago, my retirement plan was to retire and enjoy life. I can do anything I and my wife would like to do.....anything. Don't you think that was something great to retire to?
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:27 pm

We did. But events conspired against us. We adapted easily. I think it is ok to have plans and aspirations but I would urge you not to fixate too much on one thing and be prepared to adjust depending on how things go.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

baughpd

Post by baughpd » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:57 pm

We bought a vacation cottage that needed work to become our retirement home. So I have used my time to slowly add on and renovate. Sometimes as the general contractor sometimes doing work with my own hands. I sat behind a desk for 35 years, so I have really enjoyed the experience.

Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:08 pm

I knew I was going to play a lot of golf (see name), but I also knew I wanted to give back through volunteering. It took me about a year to find the right organizations for me to volunteer and get into the right golf group for me, but I am pretty booked Monday through Friday with volunteering and golf. The week ends are open which have been nice for my DW and myself to do whatever we want. Next steps are building our retirement home and having 2 big trips per year. I have been retired about 3 years and it has been great, I highly recommend it!

Also, it is important to not do what your DW does and follow her around. You need your own activities and things to do. That is a key part of keeping the peace..lol

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Golf maniac wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:08 pm
Also, it is important to not do what your DW does and follow her around. You need your own activities and things to do. That is a key part of keeping the peace..lol
Oh my goodness, yes! Nail. Head. And all that. :happy

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:01 pm

I volunteered a lot up, and enjoyed it, up to a little over 5 years ago.

Then work started consuming so much of my time that I had to scale back
greatly on those activities.

I plan to get back to those volunteer activities in retirement.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:08 pm

Something might happen in your family, i.e. there is a divorce of a child, daughter in law can not take care of a grandchild, and for many years thereafter you love to take care of that youngster and are proud and tired doing it.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:09 pm

I was a stay at home Dad, so when my kids went to college, they effectively “retired me.”

I then hoped to convince my wife to retire. Failed.

I then hoped to convince my wife to downsize. Failed.

So, my retirement job is to get our new house in shape (repairs and remodeling). One goal I have is to get it to zero net carbon status, with geothermal, batteries, etc. That will keep me busy.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:35 pm

Nope. No plan. I just knew that my old job and company was not for me any longer so I took a early out package and retired. Then I looked around and decided that not working was good and that I had enough money to stay retired. I did house projects and lots of helping kid look for a college. Then I took up some old hobbies full time like skiing. It has been a ball.

Good luck.

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:35 pm

Nope. No plan. I just knew that my old job and company was not for me any longer so I took a early out package and retired. Then I looked around and decided that not working was good and that I had enough money to stay retired. I did house projects and lots of helping kid look for a college. Then I took up some old hobbies full time like skiing. It has been a ball.

Good luck.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:39 pm

flyingaway wrote:For those who are retired, did you really have something solid to retire to?
No. I'm a lazy bum. When I retired 12 years ago I expected to fill my time doing the same things I had done before only more-so. My expectations were realized. Other than the getting-old crap, it's been wonderful.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:58 pm

No clue, and I'm good with that :sharebeer

boglemania

Post by boglemania » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:00 pm

OMG- I need 3-4 of me to do all the things I'd like to during retirement. YES!

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:18 pm

I have a long list of hobbies or potential hobbies or things I want to do. It's so long that actually I wanted to put it in Excel because I will forget half of it by then.
It's full of things related to sea (sailing, surfing, windsurfing, kite surfing, diving, kayaking, some fishing), mountains (climbing, hiking, skiing, mountain biking), flying (ultralights, glider, hang glider, para glider etc), reading, travel - slow cheap travel, not hotels and all inclusive, motorbiking around the world, time with friends and many more.
I do some of these things now, but too few, too little.
Most of them require physical fitness or at least some enthusiasm. And as the time passes I lose both. This is why is important to me to retire early enough to enjoy at least some activities.
To me retiring is not about running from my job. I like my job. It could be better but it's still ok. It's about following other interests. It's about trying to crowd in the little active life I have left as many experiences as possible.
Last edited by Starfish on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Starfish wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:18 pm
I have a long list of hobbies or potential hobbies or things I want to do. Its so long that actually I wanted to put it in Excel because I will forget half of it by then.
It's full of things related to sea (sailing, surfing, windsurfing, kite surfing, diving, kayaking, some fishing), mountains (climbing, hiking, skiing, mountain biking), flying (ultralights, glider, hang glider, para glider etc), reading, travel - slow cheap travel, not hotels and all inclusive, motorbiking around the world, time with friends and many more.
Most of them require physical fitness or at least some enthusiasm. And as the time passes I lose both. This is why is important to me to retire early enough to enjoy at least some activities.
To me retiring is not about running from my job. I like my job. It could be better but it's still ok. It's about following other interests. It's about trying to crowd in the little active life I have left as many experiences as possible.
I also have a plan to slow travel the world, but I don't know if it will just be a one year thing.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Duckie wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:39 pm
flyingaway wrote:For those who are retired, did you really have something solid to retire to?
No. I'm a lazy bum. When I retired 12 years ago I expected to fill my time doing the same things I had done before only more-so. My expectations were realized. Other than the getting-old crap, it's been wonderful.
Good for you.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:29 pm

Sheepdog wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:25 pm
20 years ago, my retirement plan was to retire and enjoy life. I can do anything I and my wife would like to do.....anything. Don't you think that was something great to retire to?
No specific plan is the plan.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:30 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:12 pm
flyingaway wrote:
I didn’t either.

I ended up healing mind and body for 6 months. Sleep, vitamins, iron supplements, netflix overload, too many AppleTV purchasesof movies etc.

I am finally showing signs of life and it’s looking good. Classes/learning. Cleaning and restpring order to home. All knds of good things are starting. Looking forward to the next decade of life (hopefully).

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:30 pm

sport wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:14 pm
I am worried to a life with more stress if there is no specific plans.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:43 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:26 pm
Starfish wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:18 pm
I have a long list of hobbies or potential hobbies or things I want to do. Its so long that actually I wanted to put it in Excel because I will forget half of it by then.
I also have a plan to slow travel the world, but I don't know if it will just be a one year thing.
I did travel a bit in my life, lived in 2 very different countries etc so I kind of know that is what I want but even for me is uncertain how much it will last.
However I cannot say I have a home, no real place for me to come. I have a home in US but I barely know my neighbors and a handful of people around. My friends are from work and they live 45min-1h away, or many hour of flight.
So staying at home for me would mean to see nobody.

I could live in the country where I was born and lived until 25, friends, some relatives. but after 20 years or more that is not really my home.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:58 pm

I retired to spending more time with my family. My job was in a different state, so I had to choose. I suppose I could have found a job in my home state, but I don't have the energy I used to.

Apart from that, no plans. A bad day at home beats a good day in the office. :D
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:07 pm

In addition to not having something to "retire to", I also decided to have no expectations at all for the first year of retirement. Whatever happened would happen and be OK.

Expectations, or more accurately not meeting one's expectations, is the source of disappointment and discontent. I decided to have no expectations and just see what happened.

It worked for me.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:33 pm

We moved south because the Dear Wife's illness forced her to leave work. I had the good fortune to telecommute and integrated my work schedule with the retirement environment that we moved into.
Wife got better, we both play tennis, found a new set of close friends, wife spends the afternoon playing Mah Jongg or canasta or simply socializes (translation, shopping), I read, a lot.
Before my third and finally successful attempt to retire "full time" I would start the day swimming laps work with my clients remotely, play some tennis, get back on the phone, then start up the grill.
We travel, see the kids, cruise, hang out with friends, play, relax and read, a lot. Works for us.
Some folks manage to take several hours to play golf every couple of days, we never seem to find the time to do that. Like the joke goes, if you were not able to finish relaxing yesterday, add it to today's schedule. Good luck
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

mrgeeze

Post by mrgeeze » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:00 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:12 pm
flyingaway wrote:
+1

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Had a vague idea. Wanted to spend more time on fitness and travel and we did. After about 6 months we decided we wanted to move to the mountains and take up skiing and mountain biking. Did that too. About 5 years later we decided we wanted a snow bird place. Did that too. Lots of fun meeting new people and doing new things. Must admit we kind of played it by ear. Has been a “blast”.

jose

Post by jose » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:40 pm

Work provides more than a paycheck. It gives you:
  • a social environment (people to interact with)
  • an intellectual stimulation
  • an entertainment
  • a source of pride (helping others)
  • a time/place structure
Most people are immerse in a large or small family, so the family provides all of that. There might be another social environment or community where you are well integrated.
If you are alone, you must find a way to stay engaged, with people, stimulated. Otherwise, you risk becoming isolated and empty, or confused because of to much freedom. Mostly you need somebody to retire to. That is what "something to retire to" means to me. If you retire to isolation and boredom, you can end up missing your working days. Plus, financial uncertainty can be very stressful too.

So, you need somebody to retire to, and financial peace of mind.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:07 pm

No plan at all. But within a year or two I found it (actually several it's) and it's been great.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:32 pm

Reading this thread shows me that Bogleheads know how to retire well, beyond just the financial aspect. I’m not really surprised considering all of the other threads discussing everything interesting one could possibly do with their time.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:38 pm

I haven't retired because I haven't found something I want to do that I have to retire in order to do and I still enjoy both of my jobs.

But I've watched enough people retire poorly that I think it's a good idea to have something to retire too, and the earlier you retire the more important it is.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

J295

Post by J295 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:06 pm

I didn’t have anything specific in mind, but I knew that I was too busy working to know what that could possibly be. I was also highly confident that everything would fall into place, and it has. I would say of the top 10 meaningful things I’ve done in retirement so far, none of them would’ve been on my list of the top 50 things that I might have imagined as possibilities. It’s a wide open adventure for us.

Want to make God laugh, tell God your plans.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:10 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:30 pm
sport wrote:
Even without a plan, you get to do whatever you wish. You can pursue your hobbies. If you don't have any hobbies, you can always start a new one or two. Here is one that I have really enjoyed: www.acbl.org Duplicate bridge is a great way to meet interesting intelligent people. It also exercises to brain to help keep it functioning as we age.

beyou

Post by beyou » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:40 pm

So few people get to choose when to retire, but only on BH does this seem a common choice. Some must work, others can’t work.

I fully expect to leave due to company downsizing, company relocation, hope not to leave due to health, but you never know. Since I dont know when, not giving it too much thought, more concerned about cost of healthcare, only secondarily about filling my time. That said, don’t really have hobbies I dream about anymore, as I did when I was a kid. But I’ll be ok with retirement as long as I am healthy.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:52 pm

flyingaway wrote:
sport wrote:
Rather than having fixed plans at the beginning, I find mine are emerging. Exciting to see what next year will bring.

bluelight

Post by bluelight » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:09 pm

I will be retiring next year to a life where I am not required to sleep with my cellphone next to my bed in the event that work decides they need me in the middle of the night. I will be retiring to a life without 24/7 oncall rotation. I will be retiring to a life where I don't have to work nights and weekends in addition to my 40 hours during the week. I am retiring to a life where I don't have to spend 8 hours a day tied to my computer.

I am counting the days to retirement.

Zonian59

Post by Zonian59 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:12 am

I originally planned to retire to reading all the books and music CDs accumulated over the years, getting reacquainted with model railroading hobby that my father and I enjoyed when I was a young boy, and doing some travelling to state fairs and air shows around the country.

All that changed two years ago was laid off at 57 and noticed my 90 year old mother's dementia getting worse.
I decided to "retire" to take care of her. Not the kind of retirement I was looking forward to as it is proving to be harder work than the work I "retired" from. Read an online article that long term caregiving can shorten caregiver's life expectancy by as much as eight years.
Am now rethinking taking SS at 62 instead of waiting until 67.

Anybody else retired from caregiving and have something to look forward to, other than to a rest home?

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:44 am

Zonian59 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:12 am
I originally planned to retire to reading all the books and music CDs accumulated over the years, getting reacquainted with model railroading hobby that my father and I enjoyed when I was a young boy, and doing some travelling to state fairs and air shows around the country.

All that changed two years ago was laid off at 57 and noticed my 90 year old mother's dementia getting worse.
I decided to "retire" to take care of her. Not the kind of retirement I was looking forward to as it is proving to be harder work than the work I "retired" from. Read an online article that long term caregiving can shorten caregiver's life expectancy by as much as eight years.
Am now rethinking taking SS at 62 instead of waiting until 67.

Anybody else retired from caregiving and have something to look forward to, other than to a rest home?
I am actually seriously considering to take care of my parents.
My friends told me that we should hire some help for caregiving first, until there is nobody wanting to do that anymore even with money, i.e., the last phase of their care needs. It is the last phase of the caregiving that is the most challenging. If you start at the beginning, you might not be able to last that long (energy, patience, etc.)

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:53 am

White Coat Investor wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:38 pm
I haven't retired because I haven't found something I want to do that I have to retire in order to do and I still enjoy both of my jobs.

But I've watched enough people retire poorly that I think it's a good idea to have something to retire too, and the earlier you retire the more important it is.
I don’t know how to do this.

I will retire shortly and don’t have specific things to retire to. I’ve seen posts / opinions suggesting one should stay employed until plans are in place. I don’t want to work any longer.

I have hobbies and want to travel. I’m sure I’ll think of things to do. This thread has comforted me a bit as it appears I’m not the only one lacking a plan (I also know plenty of folks retiring with a ‘plan’ which was really a list of things to occupy themselves for 3-6 months).
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:28 am

I always liked the news story about the person who won the lottery and says that will not change their life. They plan to go back to pumping gas or manning a call center phone or staring at a computer the next day.
Me, had I won the lottery (pretty neat trick since I seldom to never bought a lottery ticket) I would have stopped mid sentence, not bothered cleaning out my desk or whatever.
Enjoyed my job yet worked so that I would enjoy the weekend even more. Whoops, Thursday is now a weekend day just like Tuesday and ...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:39 am

Kudos to those who have stuff to retire to.

Every vacation I have taken by end of the 5th day I miss work. That is why likely will work forever in some capacity. I run my own practice so don't have a boss so no issue with office politics to run away from either. I like seeing my patients and would have a hard time just retiring early and telling them, "Well I made my money so now go find someone else to take care of you". I'm in a more niche field where there are not many of us out there let alone good ones that I trust turning my patients over to forever.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:45 am

Grandkids...

I was a single parent that never had enough family time due to the demands of job, laundry, food shopping, food prep, home cleaning, etc., and other responsibilities. I am thoroughly enjoying my time with them.

Also, reading, baking, lots of discretionary spontaneous activities.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:51 am

I resisted, and sometimes still resist, getting back into R/E development and income properties. But, having gotten used to the "senior retirement lifestyle" on our mini ranch with DW's $$$$horses, my own building projects and helping others, and grandkids, and more -- for now, I'm glad that I got out of the "day to day work world".
But, it has taken me at least 6 years of uncomfortable retirement to arrive at this as I had not planned to ever "retire". I guess it's an "acquired taste".

OTOH, my doctor brother is over 70 and has always loved being a doctor, and still goes to work every day despite being able to retire.

I used to hear it said that folks were so busy in retirement that they wondered how they had time to work before they retired.
Seems to be true.
j :D

beachlover

Post by beachlover » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:00 am

flyingaway wrote:
sport wrote:
When I was working but planning for an early retirement (about 4 1/2 years ago), I had some concern about losing social and intellectual stimulation offered by longer-term projects and day-to-day interaction with co-workers, many of whom I had been with for years. It's since dawned on me that, if there is *one* thing I truly haven't missed about work, it has been "other peoples' agendas." Almost all work stressors that I can recall came from mismatches in interests, priorities, or unrealistic expectations; whether with my immediate boss, organizational leadership, the compliance folks, clients, colleagues, suppliers, or employees in my charge.

So now I do pretty much what I want, when I want, how I want; subject to the laws of physics and polite society. It's pretty much all on me. No one to blame or to carry on endless imaginary conversations with when things aren't going smoothly.

For the most part, I still don't have longer-term structured projects as work could offer. Sometimes I wonder if I should. But, as someone said on the early-retirement.org forum a while back, "There's a world of things to do and oceans of time to do them." If you have even a modicum of curiosity or motivation you will find useful things to occupy your time, mind and body, more than enough for any lifetime.

For those who love their work, or feel it's the best way to make a contribution, etc., by all means keep at it. But if you ask yourself, "What would I do with my life if I were free to do anything at all?", and what you're doing at work isn't high on that list, perhaps it's time to think about something else .

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:12 am

flyingaway wrote:
The main thing I retired to was freedom to do what my wife and I want, when my wife and I want, where my wife and I want. It is indescribable to not have to wake up to an alarm clock. I think a major key to a successful retirement for me and my wife is we are the type of persons who trusts our ability to always have something to occupy our time, in a generally productive (and hopefully contributing to others much of the time) way. The freedom to plan months or weeks or days or just minutes in advance of doing something is awesome. For example, I prefer a balance of a very few scheduled routine things (e.g. yard work, church activities, vacations) and a whole lot of spur of the moment things (reading, restaurants, day trips, house chores and vehicle preventative maintenance, etc.). Having said that, the main thing in my opinion, is to retire to something, not escape from something if at all possible. I have (almost) never been bored since I retired a number of years ago.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.