Long term stays/vacations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
renue74

Long term stays/vacations

Post by renue74 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:13 pm

A few years ago, we vacationed in Italy for 2 weeks. The last few days, we took the train to Lake Como. A great way to end a long vacation. At some point, I would love to stay there long term and use that as a "base" for other exploring. Long term = less than 180 days, I know...but maybe 2 or 3 months.

Has anyone traveled like this....staying in a home base....spending time with the locals and occasionally traveling nearby for other sightseeing opportunities? Pros? Cons?

Freefun

Re: Long term stays/vacations

Post by Freefun » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:53 am

Haven’t done long term vacations but I will as I will retire soon. I have lived on 4 continents much of my career so being abroad won't be new to me.

A,friend showed me some places she found around Lake Como on Airbnb. Prices were fantastic $50-$100 night which of course can vary depending on what you're looking for.

Pros are having a great time and living a bit like a local. Cons might be being away from friends or family.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:49 am

I'm facing a similar issue. I'm not retired but my wife and I both can work remotely so we thought of doing the snowbird thing for a month early next year. It's really hard to find a house for a month at a reasonable rate.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:06 am

I'd put this in the "just do it category" if you have the time flexibility. Try it and see if you like it. If you aren't sure do it for a month. I would be particular about the location where I based myself. Close to good public transit or if I expected to need a rental car I'd want easy parking. Living like a local is fine but I would not want to take that to the extreme of leading the life of a local commuter so I would not stay an hour out of London or Manhattan and take the train into the city every day.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:33 am

We've both been fully retired since March 2017, and I suspect we've been away from home about a third of the time. It would have been more except we have 2 dogs that stay home with a live-in sitter when we travel. Trips vary from a 4 day weekend to a couple of 3 week stays. We discovered a web site that gets us a free home or condo, sometimes with a car thrown in, in exchange for taking care of pets while the owner is away.

The site we use usually has listings for 1-2 weeks, but occasionally will list a location for 1-6 months. Some have been very tempting, but we won't leave our dogs for more than 2-4 weeks at a time.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:09 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:33 am
We've both been fully retired since March 2017, and I suspect we've been away from home about a third of the time. It would have been more except we have 2 dogs that stay home with a live-in sitter when we travel. Trips vary from a 4 day weekend to a couple of 3 week stays. We discovered a web site that gets us a free home or condo, sometimes with a car thrown in, in exchange for taking care of pets while the owner is away.

The site we use usually has listings for 1-2 weeks, but occasionally will list a location for 1-6 months. Some have been very tempting, but we won't leave our dogs for more than 2-4 weeks at a time.
Great point. There's at least 50 sitting sites- some better than others. These may be of interest to OP

Some sites here (Google for more)

https://housesittingmagazine.com/house- ... -compared/
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Prokofiev

Post by Prokofiev » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:22 pm

Everyone is different. I thought I would travel for 3-6 months at a time when I retired years ago at age 47.
And I have done a tremendous amount of traveling. Just returned from Bulgaria last night.

But now all my trips are between 4-6 weeks maximum. That was certainly not the original plan. I find after a month or so, I am ready to get back to my regular routine. Simple things like your barber, dentist, massage therapist and doctors always call me back. Yes, these things can be done over-seas, but I prefer my health care and wellness here. Also my local gym and music clubs have formed a major part of my life. We have season tickets for the symphony, chamber music and ballet and I enjoy these events immensely. Along with our friends . . .

Now after returning home for 2-3 weeks, I'm ready to go again. But more than 35-40 days on the road, even in a long-term apartment starts to get tiring. Also when I travel has changed. I used to avoid the summer tourist season and travel spring and fall. But the local climate here in New Orleans has convinced me otherwise. May 10-Sept 15 is a great time to be somewhere else. We usually take 2 or 3 long trips over this period and stay closer to home over the arts and cultural season of late September thru 1st week in May. But your interests and personal situation will help determine where, when and for how long.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:48 pm

I have considered it. However, unless you need a huge amount of luggage that needs storing, it seems like you are just paying for a place you won't be at all the time. I guess what could tilt it in your favor is if the longer you rent it for the bigger the discount you get (which is often the case). Also, I guess if you had flexible plans and couldn't determine to rent in Lake Como specific dates because you would be in X,Y and Z on these dates it would be beneficial.

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:02 pm

Read the blog homefreeadventures.com. The authors travel 6 months or more per year and stay 4 weeks or so at each place. Lots of good stories and advice.

Good luck.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:24 pm

renue74 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:13 pm
Has anyone traveled like this....staying in a home base....spending time with the locals and occasionally traveling nearby for other sightseeing opportunities? Pros? Cons?
I spend six weeks this summer in Montana taking a class. I stayed in a VRBO studio apartment that I got a good rate on after contacting the owner and asking about cost for a long rental. The long rental discount was not available automatically through the VRBO website. A few points;

1) Make your reservation very early. Once someone else reserves the place for even one weekend it will no longer be available for an extended stay. Some other people taking the class had to move halfway through the class since they could not find a place that was available for the entire six seeks. For a stay of over 30 days there was a local hotel tax that was not charged which made it more affordable.

2) For an extended stay they may want a large deposit or for you to entirely prepay it since they will be in a bind if you want to cancel your reservation. Sending large deposits like that is a hot spot for scams so you need to be very careful.

3) While I was there I did lots of day trips and one overnight trip. Towards the end I had seen all the major things to see in the area. There were of course places worth going back to and I had by no means seen nearly everything but there were not really any "must see" things left on my list.

4) For an extended stay a car is very nice to have but that can be very expensive if you rent it for long periods of time. If you have a car you will also need a parking space which may not always be included.

5) Some home insurance policies have limitations on leaving a house vacant for more than 30 or 60 days. You may be able to get an inexpensive rider to cover a vacant house but you need to contact your insurance company to check on this. People that own more than one home or RV a lot frequently do this and it is not a big deal but you need to research this.

6) The post office will only hold your mail for 30 days. If I was to do that again I would probably get a large locking mailbox that someone could check once a week.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:13 pm

renue74 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:13 pm
A few years ago, we vacationed in Italy for 2 weeks. The last few days, we took the train to Lake Como. A great way to end a long vacation. At some point, I would love to stay there long term and use that as a "base" for other exploring. Long term = less than 180 days, I know...but maybe 2 or 3 months.

If I want to stay in a place for some time, I will not travel frequently out of that place with round trips. I will just enjoy that place for the entire period.

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:31 pm

For a stay longer than 90 days, you may want to get familiar with Schengen visa requirements.
With a valid U.S. passport, you can stay up to 90 days for tourism or business during any 180-day period. Do not overstay! You must wait an additional 90 days before applying to re-enter the Schengen area.

To stay longer than 90 days, you must have a visa. Apply for a visa through the embassy of the country where you will spend most of your time.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... engen.html