Apple MacBook Pro & Camcorder help!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Apple MacBook Pro & Camcorder help!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Bogleheads -

We accumulated videos of the kids from years ago using a camcorder with the small asset tapes. The camcorder is a Panasonic PV-GS9.

We would like to transfer the videos from the camcorder to the MacBook Pro but are unsure how to do so. Has anyone done this? I thought I would have to use iMovie and a special type of cable.

The camcorder has the following ports:

1) small A/V Out
2) DV Port??
3) Small USB shape I believe

*** Any help or support from the Apple and Mac folks is very much appreciated!!!!!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Dottie57

Re: Apple MacBook Pro & Camcorder help!

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Look here from Apple

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22887?locale=en_US

There are lots of Google results for:

Transfer video from tapes to iMovie on macbook pro

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:15 pm

Old camcorders had software to do things. What software do you have that came with your camdcorder? Usually in those days, the software was on a CD in the box.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:22 pm

I had this camcorder but sold it.

As I recall the only way to get video from the tape to a Windows PC is via a Firewire port aka DV In aka IEEE1394.
I suspect that it will be the same for your Macbook Pro.

As I recall I could not important video from the tape to my Windows PC using the USB.
You'll need to read the user manual to verify.

Oh, there are USB-Firewire cables being sold.
Do not buy them. They will not work!

See if https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=Q15QjTTF8_I is helpful.

gnujoe2001

Post by gnujoe2001 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:33 pm

My quick search found that the PV-GS9 is a miniDV camcorder. It has a firewire port, which would be the way to go if your Macbook Pro is old enough to be equipped with a firewire port.

Otherwise, you'll likely need a USB capture device to capture from the A/V output. Maybe something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X42H9VZ/re ... B06XJKSJZ8

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:40 pm

gnujoe2001 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:33 pm
My quick search found that the PV-GS9 is a miniDV camcorder. It has a firewire port, which would be the way to go if your Macbook Pro is old enough to be equipped with a firewire port.

Otherwise, you'll likely need a USB capture device to capture from the A/V output. Maybe something like this?
I used similar to this.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:49 am

gnujoe2001 wrote:

I haven't done this myself, so double check with someone who has or make sure you can return purchases if they don't work.

I would expect the firewire solution would keep things digital and give you the best videos. You'd likely encounter more degradation using the A/V outputs and multiple conversions.

OP, what model/year is your Mac? If it has a firewire port, all you may need is the right cable. Otherwise, if it's newer and has thunderport, an adapter may be necessary along with right cable. Unfortunately, there are multiple versions of these ports, so be sure your solution is for the right versions.
Does what I need
I can't speak to the issue some have had with devices that require bus power. But, for my particular need, it does the trick. I use an old MiniDV camcorder whose tape drive has become unreliable. The camera has a 4-conductor FireWire 400 output, so I decided to try using it as a direct camera input for iMovie. I purchased a FireWire 400 cable (4-conductor at one end and 8-conductor at the other) and patched that through a FireWire 400-to-800 adaptor plug to connect to a MacBook. This worked, but my newer MacBook Air has no FireWire. This Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter—effectively the third adapter in my Franken-cable—successfully connects my camcorder to my MacBook Air. Interestingly, the camera will not work properly with the current iMovie, but functions just fine with iMovie 9.09 (thankfully available as a free download, and still compatible with El Capitan).

Written by Scott R from Edmonton May 15, 2016
49 of 50 people found this useful
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD46 ... re-adapter

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:10 am

inbox788 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:49 am

I would expect the firewire solution would keep things digital and give you the best videos. You'd likely encounter more degradation using the A/V outputs and multiple conversions.
Correct. The Firewire solution is best.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:22 pm

Bogleheads -

Thank you for some of these options. I am hoping this will do the trick!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:19 pm

I am in the process of looking online.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:23 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:15 pm
Old camcorders had software to do things. What software do you have that came with your camdcorder? Usually in those days, the software was on a CD in the box.
The camcorder did not come with any software.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:29 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:49 am
gnujoe2001 wrote:

I haven't done this myself, so double check with someone who has or make sure you can return purchases if they don't work.

OP, what model/year is your Mac? If it has a firewire port, all you may need is the right cable. Otherwise, if it's newer and has thunderport, an adapter may be necessary along with right cable. Unfortunately, there are multiple versions of these ports, so be sure your solution is for the right versions.
Does what I need
I can't speak to the issue some have had with devices that require bus power. But, for my particular need, it does the trick. I use an old MiniDV camcorder whose tape drive has become unreliable. The camera has a 4-conductor FireWire 400 output, so I decided to try using it as a direct camera input for iMovie. I purchased a FireWire 400 cable (4-conductor at one end and 8-conductor at the other) and patched that through a FireWire 400-to-800 adaptor plug to connect to a MacBook. This worked, but my newer MacBook Air has no FireWire. This Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter—effectively the third adapter in my Franken-cable—successfully connects my camcorder to my MacBook Air. Interestingly, the camera will not work properly with the current iMovie, but functions just fine with iMovie 9.09 (thankfully available as a free download, and still compatible with El Capitan).

Written by Scott R from Edmonton May 15, 2016
49 of 50 people found this useful
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD46 ... re-adapter
My MacBook Pro is almost four years old. The posts only have USB and Thunderport (lightening bolt symbols on the side). I looked at a picture of a thunder port online and I do not appear to have this.

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:11 pm

My MacBook Pro is almost four years old. The posts only have USB and Thunderport (lightening bolt symbols on the side). I looked at a picture of a thunder port online and I do not appear to have this.
If you have a thunderbolt port (lightning bolt symbol) then you will need the thunderbolt to firewire adapter.

I have never used the cameras softwar for anything and import via iMovie (included in OSX).

I still have an old MacBook with a FireWire port, so haven’t used the adapter, but I wonder if you might need a FireWire 400 to 800 adapter too.

Anyway try the thunderbolt to FireWire adapter and if it doesn’t hook up to the FireWire cable from you camera, then you probably need the 400 to 800 adapter too.

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:37 am

abuss368 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:29 pm
The lightning bolt can be confusing (It could mean thunderbolt 1 or 3 which are entirely different). Anyway, this is how I connect to my macs.

Below is the DV port on my camcorder.

Below is the firewire connector. It goes into an old macbook pro. I can then import video via iMovie (included in OSX)

Below is the Thunderbolt connector. I need this middle connector to hook up to my newer macs with USB-C

Below is a USB-C connector. This goes into my iMac and newer macbook. I can import via via iMovie by turning my camera on as if I was going to watch it in the viewfinder screen. Then I select import in iMovie, choose the camera as the source, and press import. The camera turns on and plays on it's screen while the computer imports it and makes a file.

Below are all the connectors together. For the old macbook pro, I don’t need the two adapters as it takes FireWire directly.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:43 pm

abuss368 wrote:
What is the model of your Macbook? (begins with A followed by 4 digits)

Silly question, but did you look at both sides/edges? Check again next to the power port.

Are you sure it's a Pro and not an Air? (and I think even the Air has one on the right side)

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp703?locale=en_US

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:41 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:43 pm
abuss368 wrote:
What is the model of your Macbook? (begins with A followed by 4 digits)

Silly question, but did you look at both sides/edges? Check again next to the power port.

Are you sure it's a Pro and not an Air? (and I think even the Air has one on the right side)

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp703?locale=en_US
I definitely have a MacBook Pro and not a MacBook Air. I wanted a 15' screen as the Air (while I liked the product) did not offer that size. I did read a rumor a 15' Air was in the works.

I am unsure above when you mention "begins with A followed by 4 digits". Where is this located? Upper left corner, click on Apple symbol, and About This Mac?

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:31 pm

go_mets wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:22 pm
I had this camcorder but sold it.

As I recall the only way to get video from the tape to a Windows PC is via a Firewire port aka DV In aka IEEE1394.
I suspect that it will be the same for your Macbook Pro.

As I recall I could not important video from the tape to my Windows PC using the USB.
You'll need to read the user manual to verify.

Oh, there are USB-Firewire cables being sold.
Do not buy them. They will not work!

See if https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=Q15QjTTF8_I is helpful.
The Youtube clip helped form he standpoint of a MacBook Pro and using Quicktime Player. A simple USB to smaller USB port not he camcorder worked. I did not have any need to any adapters!

We have started to move the old movies over!

Thank you Bogleheads.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:28 am

Which cable did you use? Was it really as simple as a USB to mini USB? https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB ... B00NH11N5A

Glad you got it working. I'm very surprised USB to USB worked. Not so much on the mac side, but on the camcorder side for such an old device and with original manual documenting only photo transfer. Maybe they updated the drivers/firmware to transfer videos as well.
abuss368 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:41 pm
I definitely have a MacBook Pro and not a MacBook Air. I wanted a 15' screen as the Air (while I liked the product) did not offer that size. I did read a rumor a 15' Air was in the works.

I am unsure above when you mention "begins with A followed by 4 digits". Where is this located? Upper left corner, click on Apple symbol, and About This Mac?
The About Mac is one place, but looks like built to order ones may not have it listed there.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7099653

Try the bottom of the computer.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1355/ ... _large.jpg

In any case, if you ever need it, it looks like the 15" also has the 2 thunderbolt 2 ports next to the magsafe in the 2014 model listed here:
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP704?locale=en_US

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:37 am

inbox788 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:28 am
Which cable did you use? Was it really as simple as a USB to mini USB? https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB ... B00NH11N5A

Glad you got it working. I'm very surprised USB to USB worked. Not so much on the mac side, but on the camcorder side for such an old device and with original manual documenting only photo transfer. Maybe they updated the drivers/firmware to transfer videos as well.
abuss368 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:41 pm

The About Mac is one place, but looks like built to order ones may not have it listed there.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7099653

Try the bottom of the computer.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1355/ ... _large.jpg

In any case, if you ever need it, it looks like the 15" also has the 2 thunderbolt 2 ports next to the magsafe in the 2014 model listed here:
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP704?locale=en_US
I could not believe it - A simple USB in the Mac to a little USB in a 10 year old (at least) Camcorder using QuickTime did the job. I have already started converting.

Thank you for the tip on looking under the Mac. I will have to check that out.