Fixing diamond ring

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
serbeer

Fixing diamond ring

Post by serbeer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:37 pm

Folks,
my wife noticed that 1ct diamond in her $5K engagement solitaire ring became loose a bit and slightly moving inside the prongs. I want to take it to a jeweler to tighten and clean but I don't think there are any that do it while I wait. When I took jewelry before for repair at local major malls, I'd always leave it and pick it up later the same or next day.

While that is fine for gold chains, etc that are quite distinctive and lower cost, I cannot help but wonder how do I know that I got back the same 1ct stone if I leave the ring. After all, I would not know zirconia from diamond on sight, and especially higher quality diamond from lower quality one or the one slightly smaller.

I do have certificate for the stone, and it has some kind of "impurities" map shown on it, but not sure how I can practically use it to set my mind at ease.

So my wife gave me the ring to fix in the meantime, so that the stone is not lost but not 100% sure how to move forward.
I'd appreciate your advice on the subject, perhaps you dealt with this issue before?

dm200

Re: Fixing diamond ring

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:39 pm

serbeer wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:37 pm
Folks,
my wife noticed that 1ct diamond in her $5K engagement solitaire ring became loose a bit and slightly moving inside the prongs. I want to take it to a jeweler to tighten and clean but I don't think there are any that do it while I wait. When I took jewelry before for repair at local major malls, I'd always leave it and pick it up later the same or next day.
While that is fine for gold chains, etc that are quite distinctive and lower cost, I cannot help but wonder how do I know that I got back the same 1ct stone if I leave the ring. After all, I would not know zirconia from diamond on sight, and especially higher quality diamond from lower quality one or the one slightly smaller.
I do have certificate for the stone, and it has some kind of "impurities" map shown on it, but not sure how I can practically use it to set my mind at ease.
So my wife gave me the ring to fix in the meantime, so that the stone is not lost but not 100% sure how to move forward.
I'd appreciate your advice on the subject, perhaps you dealt with this issue before?
No experience, but (depending on all the details) might it be best for your wife to be very involved in all the details?

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:43 pm

serbeer wrote:
Folks,

Double check about someone who can do it while you wait, and in front of you, without ever removing the ring from your sight.
Is it insured? If so, ask the insurer who they use (for repairs/replacements), and call them, mentioning the insurer's recommendation. Also mention precisely what you want, so you don't waste a trip.

If all you want is the setting tightened, and it isn't broken, etc., this should be possible.

Yes, it's a tricky situation. At least you are aware of the "situation".
Also, are there any imperfections that can be seen with a loupe? If so, ask the jeweler to help you see it at the start, and again at the end (IF it is removed from your sight).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:44 pm

I have waited/watched at independent jeweler while they fix similar issues. Wouldn’t go to the mall stores anyways. Can always tell them your concern and ask for help in identifying the diamond though a loop yourself for ‘ease of mind’ (even if they let you watch) just for future experience.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:53 pm

What about the place where it was originally purchased?

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Call the biggest and most established jewelers in your area and ask for appt for cleaning and inspection.
Don't tell them the stone is already loose in the setting, just that you want a professional cleaning while U wait. Make it clear no drop offs.

Let this be a lesson to you and wife. Diamond rings should be professionally inspected and cleaned at least once a year.
Dunking them in the stuff you buy at the drugstore is no substitute for a professional cleaning (they use a special type of ultrasonic machine)

Most of the ritzy places, if you have ever paid them to re-mount a stone into a diff. setting, will give you free lifetime cleanings and inspections of the setting.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:42 pm

I would just take it to a reputable "non-chain" local jeweler and have them fix it. It's what they do for a living. If they are stealing the stones they wouldn't be in business long. I think it is much less likely to be a problem at a local jeweler.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:54 pm

serbeer wrote:
After all, I would not know zirconia from diamond on sight, and especially higher quality diamond from lower quality one or the one slightly smaller.
I love this quote.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:04 am

drawpoker wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:28 pm
Let this be a lesson to you and wife. Diamond rings should be professionally inspected and cleaned at least once a year.
Dunking them in the stuff you buy at the drugstore is no substitute for a professional cleaning (they use a special type of ultrasonic machine)
These machines are not terribly expensive, the one I bought my wife 7 years ago is currently $50. I paid $99 at the time. She uses this cleaning solution in it and it does a fantastic job.
obgraham wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:42 pm
I would just take it to a reputable "non-chain" local jeweler and have them fix it. It's what they do for a living. If they are stealing the stones they wouldn't be in business long. I think it is much less likely to be a problem at a local jeweler.
Yep, we've been going to the same local jeweler for years. [OT comment removed by moderator prudent] They're honest, have fair prices and do good work.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:50 am

My wife's diamond ring has broken prong. We took to neighborhood jeweler and picked it up a week later. Her diamond was much smaller than yours. We have been a good customer of theirs and they are quite reputable. However, if the stone was 1ct high quality, I would probably insist on watching the entire time.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:59 am

Since the stone is wiggling, you will probably be needing to have the tips of the prongs redone or possibly a new head installed. It is also possible that a prong got knocked and moved a bit or even that a prong caught on a couple of threads in a sleeve and got pulled back a bit. Either way it is generally a very simple fix.

The same issues were raised in the 90s, when I worked in the high end luxury side of jewelry, that have raised in this thread.

Take it to an independent jeweler who has a demonstrated good reputation. They may or may not do their own bench work Since you have a map of the inclusions, you would have not issue proving whether something was switched. The stone mappings sounds like may have been certified by AGI or GIA --look on the appraisal.

You can even go so far as to have a serial number laser etched, usually on the girdle.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:22 am

serbeer wrote:
I cannot help but wonder how do I know that I got back the same 1ct stone if I leave the ring. After all, I would not know zirconia from diamond on sight, and especially higher quality diamond from lower quality one or the one slightly smaller.

Any good jeweler including Shaneco (if you aren't too annoyed with their radio commercials) will let you look at the stone with a loupe for as long as you want until you can recognize the inclusions for yourself. If your eyesight is bad, take a friend with you. It is nearly impossible nor would it likely be profitable for them to sort through a bunch of stones to find one with similar inclusions but at a smaller size.

I don't know if this is possible but they might also have a scale with a whole bunch of numbers to the right of the decimal that you could weigh the ring before and after. It will probably weigh a little less, especially if they polish it but shouldn't be very much. If they have to replace the prongs then the weight might be more different. I'm not sure if they couldn't just tighten whats there though.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:39 am

Yooper16 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:59 am
Take it to an independent jeweler who has a demonstrated good reputation.
This. We have the same situation with my wife's ring right now and it is currently at the jewelers being repaired. The jeweler we use has been in business for many years and has a stellar reputation which he is very careful to protect. They are not a retail jewelry store, but do custom work and repairs. He does the repair work for many local retail jewelry stores in town.

Find a reputable place that does repair work in-house and dont worry about it.

ems2013

Post by ems2013 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:08 am

Wait and watch while it is repaired. My grandmother, who was blind, brought a diamond ring to a jeweler where she was a regular customer and they replaced her diamond with one much smaller. She noticed the size difference right away, but was a conflict-avoider and did not say anything. My mother now has my grandmother's ring and it rankles me each time I see it.

gohuskys

Post by gohuskys » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:07 pm

In southern California, Robbins Brothers repaired my wife's diamond ring while we waited. They allowed us to look at the GIA serial number inscribed on the diamond before and after the work was performed.

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Thank you for all the advice folks, I really appreciate it and will attemt the things suggested.

humble man

Post by humble man » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Hi Serbeer,

I made an account just to answer this question because of the relevance to my own situation. I just bought an engagement ring that is a 1 ct diamond, solitaire setting and cost roughly the same as yours, ~ 5600.

During the process the salesman showed me the impurities in the diamond and mapped them electronically in their system. I also have a copy they created. This was incase you dropped the ring off and wanted to make sure you got the same one back.

Anyways, he also showed me that my ring has a serial number engraved in it. You cannot see it without a microscope zoomed in Very far. (I forget the x amount). I would ask the folks you bought it from or a jeweler to look for it. I have the ring on my insurance and they have the impurities mapping and the serial number.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:20 pm

humble man wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:28 pm
Hi Serbeer,

I made an account just to answer this question because of the relevance to my own situation. I just bought an engagement ring that is a 1 ct diamond, solitaire setting and cost roughly the same as yours, ~ 5600.

During the process the salesman showed me the impurities in the diamond and mapped them electronically in their system. I also have a copy they created. This was incase you dropped the ring off and wanted to make sure you got the same one back.

Anyways, he also showed me that my ring has a serial number engraved in it. You cannot see it without a microscope zoomed in Very far. (I forget the x amount). I would ask the folks you bought it from or a jeweler to look for it. I have the ring on my insurance and they have the impurities mapping and the serial number.
+1. I actually know what my wife's diamond on her engagement ring looks like at a glance under magnification. At a minimum, I would become familiar with the impurities in general in her diamond just for peace of mind. This is also the reason, as I've stated in other threads, that I bought a diamond and not a ring as I became much more knowledgeable of diamonds, and the one I bought specifically in the process. Additionally, I also have a "map" of her diamond which came with the purchase, even 25 years ago.

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Thank you very much folks, I'll take a 50x magnification glass I have and will actually try to see if I see the impurities in my GIA certificate on the map or serial number (though I don't think the number was engraved).

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:34 pm

serbeer wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:58 pm
Thank you very much folks, I'll take a 50x magnification glass I have and will actually try to see if I see the impurities in my GIA certificate on the map or serial number (though I don't think the number was engraved).
It won’t be all that difficult to see the impurities, unless it is like a broken car windshield. If it is a decent stone, which I suspect, it will be obvious and somewhat interesting.