Nytimes.com subscription price testing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Nytimes.com subscription price testing?

Post by 123 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:33 am

Late last night as I was browsing the news at https://www.nytimes.com/ I happened to click on the subscribe link, as I often do, to see their current pricing. I was surpised to see a rate of $1 a week for a year for a basic online subscription ($4 every 4 weeks for a year, then up to the regular rate). I almost subscribed but deferred. Then some minutes later i went back and was offered an annual basic online subscripton for $30.00 which caused me to subscribe immediately.

Earlier in the evening I had poked around the https://www.washingtonpost.com/ and noticed that they offered a $100 one year subscription offer. That wasn't attractive enough to me to motivate me to subscribe.

I hope this is a good sign that more online newpaper sites will heavily discount for longer-term subscriptions. The once-a-year payment cycle is very attractive to me. There are local regional papers that I am also interested in but they charge $10 monthly online, just not competititve when i can get the NY Times onlne for $30. Paying $10 a month, every month, would just be annoying to me.

I don't have a link for the $30 offer, it just popped up for me.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Meg77

Re: Nytimes.com subscription price testing?

Post by Meg77 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:39 am

Hmm. I pay $15 (or maybe $15.99) monthly for my digital subscription. I've had it for several years, and it's the same price it was when I signed up. Might be time to cancel for a bit and see what other offers I can drum up.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:41 am

You can gain access to nytimes articles simply by clearing your browsing history after about 5 articles, or using a privacy mode on browser. It is a bit of a pain.

Post by 123 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:04 am

JBTX wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:41 am
You can gain access to nytimes articles simply by clearing your browsing history after about 5 articles, or using a privacy mode on browser. It is a bit of a pain.
+1 I do this on a number of sites and it often does the job very well. But there are some sites where I can enjoy spending a considerable amunt of time and a low subscription price just makes it all an easier experience.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Tallis

Post by Tallis » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:06 am

123 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:33 am
Earlier in the evening I had poked around the https://www.washingtonpost.com/ and noticed that they offered a $100 one year subscription offer. That wasn't attractive enough to me to motivate me to subscribe.
Lower prices are out there. I just got an offer of $39 per year from the Washington Post (with autorenewal at $100 a year after a year, of course).

bac

Post by bac » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:26 am

123 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:33 am
After a Washington Post promotion ran out (it was something like six months for $19.99), I found an offer on Amazon Prime for $3.99 a month. It helped justify keeping my Prime membership when the price increased.

I pay the standard $15 every four weeks for The New York Times, of which I used to be a longtime print subscriber. Totally worth it, and I feel good about supporting the journalism (though I wish I could do my supporting at more like the WaPo level).

goingup

Post by goingup » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:04 pm

Meg77 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:39 am
Hmm. I pay $15 (or maybe $15.99) monthly for my digital subscription. I've had it for several years, and it's the same price it was when I signed up. Might be time to cancel for a bit and see what other offers I can drum up.
Meg-
I had digital at that price and decided to cancel. To cancel you must call and talk to a live person. I was offered same subscription for $7.50/month with no contract. It took effect immediately. :D

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:06 pm

goingup wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:04 pm
Meg77 wrote:
Meg-
I had digital at that price and decided to cancel. To cancel you must call and talk to a live person. I was offered same subscription for $7.50/month with no contract. It took effect immediately. :D
I did the same. The agent got down to $7 or so a month. I declined. I got a $4/mo ($1/week) offer in my inbox and signed up again

I hate that you can sign up online but have to talk to an agent to cancel

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Scrapr wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:06 pm
goingup wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:04 pm
Meg77 wrote:
Meg-
I did the same. The agent got down to $7 or so a month. I declined. I got a $4/mo ($1/week) offer in my inbox and signed up again

I hate that you can sign up online but have to talk to an agent to cancel
Thanks for the info! I do not mind paying to support journalism, and I donate to my local NPR station as well as a couple of podcasts I like. I also subscribe to the Wall Street Journal and Money Magazine. But I don't want to pay too much more than I need to, and NYT is by far my most expensive membership. And their news stories and editorials are really starting to all blur together and sound the same week after week as well; I could use a few months of a breather to be honest (at least until the midterms are over).
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:21 pm

I pay $8 monthly for the NYT, and, I believe, $49 for the Washington Post with our Amazon Prime discount. Both digital versions.