Inexpensive source for greeting cards?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
knightrider

Inexpensive source for greeting cards?

Post by knightrider » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 am

I'm tired of waltzing to the local CVS and spending $5+ each time I need to send someone a greeting card. It's just a piece of paper that should not cost more than $1-2.. Any suggestions for an online source to buy them? I tend to prefer witty/ironic type of messages with a touch of dark humor..

Or perhaps a card service that lets me craft my own message?!

greg24

Re: Inexpensive source for greeting cards?

Post by greg24 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:18 am

CVS has cards that cost $1 or $2. Basically anywhere that sells greeting cards has $1 versions. Buy those. If the message is lame, write your own witty/dark message.

Rondo

Post by Rondo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:27 am

Just go to your local Dollar store. The cards are actually 2 for a dollar at mine. I buy a handful just to keep on hand for different occasions.

Looking4Answers

Post by Looking4Answers » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:27 am

If you live near a Dollar Tree they have recently added a line of cute cards. I think some are 2 for $1. Others $1. Other discount stores like Big Lots also have cheaper cards.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:36 am

Just buy a gift card for $5 instead. They can get a cup of coffee, an ice cream cone, etc.
"La Bella Luna"

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:43 am

A couple of times a year my wife takes $50 and buys greeting cards at the local Family Dollar, otherwise known as the "Red dollar store". They tend to have pretty nice cards in the 1-2$ range. I also picked up a couple of nice ones at the "Green dollar store", actually Dollar Tree. She buys them for a variety of occasions and keeps them in an accordion file.

We always seem to be scrambling for cards, and that is a way of making it a bit easier.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:47 am

If you really want to save money on greeting cards, just use some blank stationery and write your own. A hand-written note is nicer than a printed card anyway and shows you took the time to think about the recipient. It adds a personal touch.

leeks

Post by leeks » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:49 am

You don't need a card service, just a piece of paper and a pen (or markers/colored pencils). Make your own and write whatever you want. You can buy blank cards with envelopes in bulk or just cut/fold paper (we use oversize paper from a sketch book but you can do it with plain printer paper) to make your own card and envelope (just check dimensions needed for USPS if you will be mailing the envelope). I do this with my kids for all occasions, but adults can do it too. A very simple sketch on the front is enough (stick figures can be charming enough, and you can draw them in "witty" activities). But if you aren't up for drawing at all, cut out and paste on an image or two from junk mail/food cartons/etc. Or dry a flower or leaf from your yard and glue it on. Or trace an interesting shape. Light a candle and drip some wax over the envelope closure to be super fancy. Handmade cards are quick, easy, cheap and sure to be appreciated by the recipient.

margered

Post by margered » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:43 am

Trader Joe's has cards for $1.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:48 am

Aldi's (new item), Trader Joes, Party City, Dollar Tree. Costco has a box of Hallmark cards once in a while for a variety of events that are really nice and cheap (but they don't have writing (sayings) inside). The cards have nice embellishments (for lack of a better word) and look expensive. They have the same box on Amazon, but it is much more expensive ($25 for 25 cards).

One thing I'll say is that if it is for a specific date oriented event like Father's Day, Mother's Day, etc. go very early as the pickings can get very thin (but that is true even on more expensive cards).

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:55 am

knightrider wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 am
I'm tired of waltzing to the local CVS and spending $5+ each time I need to send someone a greeting card.
Years ago my wife and I decided to exchange ice cream cones at the local ice cream store instead of a card. It costs about the same.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:11 am

I print my own at an on-line printer. I printed up a dozen each of a dozen different photos. Once I signed up, I get “deal” offers everyday in email. One of them was 50% off. That was when I placed the big order. After the dust settled, it was about a dollar a card.

Here is a description of the process and the photos I used on the cards.

I give them as sets for Christmas gifts. People love them. My wife and I use them, as well.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

peseta

Post by peseta » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:24 am

margered wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:43 am
Trader Joe's has cards for $1.
+1. The ones at Trader Joe's are actually of pretty high quality. My issue with the Dollar Tree, etc. ones is that you can see the difference between those cards and full-freight ones. For some purposes (e.g., kid's birthday), that might not matter, but I wouldn't want to give my wife a Dollar Tree anniversary card (others I'm sure feel differently!).

peseta

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:53 am

Various charities send me unsolicited greeting cards to entice donations. They aren't the greatest you could find for $5 in a store (and definitely not witty/ironic type of messages with a touch of dark humor, but you can't beat the price ;)

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:20 pm

I've found that the free printable ones online are the best -I customize them myself before printing.

People get a bigger kick out of these than any pre-made card I've ever purchased. Plus the price simply cannot be beat!

CABob

Post by CABob » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:58 pm

I have found that a nominal donation to the Veterans of Foreign Wars and many other charities keeps me over supplied with greeting cards, address labels, etc.
Bob

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:01 pm

We've found that Dollar Tree has nice greeting cards for $1.00

veggivet

Post by veggivet » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:05 pm

Local second hand store where I buy most of my clothing has cards for a dime apiece.

Post by 123 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:26 pm

As others have said the $1 cards are often at CVS and Walgreens. Perfectly fine to use. When you see them have a fresh supply stock up. Usually they are the first ones sold out for holidays like Easter etc. so look for them early. If you send cards to people who don't know/see each other you can stock up on a birthday card and use it for everyone for 2018 etc, otherwise you might want to keep a stickie with your card box to identify to whom you've already send a particular card. A little planning makes being nice easy.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:07 pm

knightrider wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 am
I'm tired of waltzing to the local CVS and spending $5+ each time I need to send someone a greeting card. It's just a piece of paper that should not cost more than $1-2.. Any suggestions for an online source to buy them? I tend to prefer witty/ironic type of messages with a touch of dark humor..

Or perhaps a card service that lets me craft my own message?!
These are more than you want to pay, but I think you might enjoy them. I order a bunch to keep on hand for those who share my twisted sense of humor. http://www.archelaus-cards.com/index.php

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:18 pm

I just don't get greeting cards. Never have, never will. Take a piece of paper and write the recipient a heart-felt message. If you need inspiration, check the internet. Having said that, if you are still compelled to buy a card, check your local dollar store. Mine sells Hallmark cards for 2/$1.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Dollar store best deal. 2 cards for $1. Buy my wife's Valentines day card and birthday card from there (they are just 2 months apart). Only surprise is she hasn't left me yet!

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

jdb

Post by jdb » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:30 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:18 pm
I just don't get greeting cards. Never have, never will. Take a piece of paper and write the recipient a heart-felt message. If you need inspiration, check the internet. Having said that, if you are still compelled to buy a card, check your local dollar store. Mine sells Hallmark cards for 2/$1.
+1. I donate to several environmental groups and they send me beautiful cards with pictures of animals and birds, these are great for sending notes to friends and family for various occasions, have not sent a commercial card in many years. Good luck.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:32 pm

I second Dollar Store. Nice selection of cards, two for $1.00.
Wal-Mart also have a choice of cards from .49-.97.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:06 pm

I agree with OP and cringe if I ever have to pay $5 for a card. We aim to buy ours at Dollar Tree, which has a great selection.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:45 pm

Dollar tree. Great cards at 50 cents / $ 1. Just bought 2 today.
All the Best, | Joe

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:51 pm

I have been sending them(free) email for years.
:happy

https://www.123greetings.com/
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

BL

Post by BL » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:54 am

Hallmark program to make your own cards using blank card paper with envelopes. Reasonable cost and always available. I think an earlier edition was easier to add photos or words.