Consumer Issue - Storage Unit Rental

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LuigiLikesPizza

Consumer Issue - Storage Unit Rental

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:40 am

I recently moved several pieces of furniture and several large boxes into a local storage unit with a major storage unit company.

On the day I rented the unit, I was led to believe by the agent of the company, that purchasing insurance on my personal property was a condition of renting. I was stressed and hurried, so I conceded. I have since looked at my personal policy and see that I already have this coverage, at a much more competitive rate.

I checked with my state's Attorney General office and learned that purchasing a policy from the same company (storage company) is not a legal requirement.

I now need to contact them to get this policy dropped and I am concerned that they may retaliate by raising my monthly rent by an exorbitant amount. This company, along with other storage companies, appear to only rent on a month to month basis, thus no price protection...again, appears this is an industry standard.

Any tips on how you would approach the company if faced with this situation? I realize it should be straightforward, but trust me, for them, this is a hard sell. Also, they know that after moving, most people don't want to turn around and repeat that experience anytime soon. thanks.

Jack FFR1846

Re: Consumer Issue - Storage Unit Rental

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:35 am

Honestly.....craigslist.....yard sale.....eBay. Unload the things that you need to store.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:42 am

If you tell them professionally, without a big back story, maybe they won't raise your rates. You don't know if you don't try. I would not go in sounding like a complainer and do not mention calling the attorney general. Just say "I wish to take the insurance coverage off my unit as I determined I have it through my homeowner's policy." If they raise your rates, then leave them a bad review on Yelp, and then take the stuff to Goodwill. You'll be much happier in the long run without this worry. Good luck.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:22 am

Do keep in mind that not a legal requirement might not pre-empt it from being a storage company requirement to protect them and their own insurer (at your expense) from liability claims for lost property if something happens.

I don't know a direct answer to your question. The lease and the insurance agreement for the policy from the rental company seem like the main places to start. Make sure your other coverage meets the lease requirements. Then find out if the policy the rental company sold you allows an early termination without a penalty, or at least with a small enough penalty the change is worthwhile. If so, I expect you can request the storage company update the policy information they have on file for you, then cancel the undesired policy.

I think that's how I handled it at an apartment I lived in when switching from renters insurance sold through the apartment management company to cheaper insurance from my auto insurer.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:43 am

Some random thoughts to think about.

1. Info gather: Call and politely inquire/clarify if the insurance was a requirement to rent, and if not, what would happen if you cancel it.
2. Consider if the extra cost of the insurance per month is still a competitive monthly rental rate compared to other options in the area.
3. If the rent is raised, what are you options as far as moving to other storage facilities, rates, convenience, etc?
4. What are you other options besides renting a storage unit?

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:58 am

Most major storage facilities have a website where you can access and modify your account and optional features. Have you checked if they have one?

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:13 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:35 am
Honestly.....craigslist.....yard sale.....eBay. Unload the things that you need to store.
+100

Why people need to store stuff is beyond me as well.

Material possessions only cost you time and money.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:16 am

runner3081 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:13 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
+100

So true. We made a huge clean out this past weekend. It's so re-freshing to get stuff out of the house. Some to the thriftstore, some to free listings on CL, and some for sale on Ebay. Getting down to the tough stuff though... old photo albums, family "heirlooms", etc.... The problem, in my opinion, is we have too much of it. However, I have found with other stuff that each time you go through it you find new crap... I mean stuff... to get rid of. I am sure the "special" stuff will be the same. Just need to start sifting!

denovo

Post by denovo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:39 pm

I bet if the family spends a weekend looking through what they have at home and in the storage you won't need the storage.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:18 pm

LarryAllen wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:16 am
runner3081 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:13 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
+100

So true. We made a huge clean out this past weekend. It's so re-freshing to get stuff out of the house. Some to the thriftstore, some to free listings on CL, and some for sale on Ebay. Getting down to the tough stuff though... old photo albums, family "heirlooms", etc.... The problem, in my opinion, is we have too much of it. However, I have found with other stuff that each time you go through it you find new crap... I mean stuff... to get rid of. I am sure the "special" stuff will be the same. Just need to start sifting!
Using storage isn’t terrible. I stored furniture and other household items that weren’t damaged by a flood while the house was gutted and reconstructed, which took a long time. I don’t know op’s situation but there are lots of reasons to store stuff, and do many other things in one’s life that exceeds the question topic.

To answer the original question, I would just bring a copy of a homeowner insurance’s declaration that indicates stored items are covered. No need to make it more complicated, and don’t escalate unless necessary.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:03 pm

How much are we talking about for the extra insurance?

I recently rented a storage unit for a couple months in conjunction with a move and the insurance was only $10/month.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:07 pm

Raising rents on storage units is a very common way for them to make a lot of money. Typically, they offer a very low rate for x months. They know you don't want to find/rent a truck and get people to help you move stuff and take advantage of that.

As to your particular situation, I would just drop (or not renew next month) the insurance and tell them you have a policy that covers it. I doubt the guy at the front desk is going to retaliate against you because of this.

I have a friend that has told a storage unit place that he would carry the stuff out on his back if he had to rather than pay the big increase they planned on charging him. They relented and gave him a deal. I think it is a situation where they have most of the leverage, but if you push back you might get somewhere.

As others have said, keep in mind the carrying costs of renting the storage unit and the movers (or your time) and get rid of what you can. I know people that have had multiple storage units for years and years. They probably paid more in rent than the stuff is worth.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:09 pm

When I rented a unit at Public Storage, I was able to remove the insurance on unit after one month. I cannot remember if they wanted to see any proof of insurance. At U-Haul, they wanted to see a copy of my homeowner policy at the time of rental.
Wiki

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:04 pm

I am still kicking myself for storing stuff for a year and a half. Could have sold the stuff, saved the money in storage rent and bought brand new stuff and still had cash in my pocket.

OAG

Post by OAG » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:31 pm

The insurance is a common "upsell". However, if your HOA already covers it (most do) they should cancel the additional cost for you. Probably going forward but if you had a significant prepaid period (3 moths or more) they should adjust back to the initial rental start date (Uncle Bob did it for me). Good luck.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979.