How to tell when a Mango is ripe?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
zaplunken

How to tell when a Mango is ripe?

Post by zaplunken » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:23 am

I bought a Mango last Monday and it was hard as a rock. Today it is a bit softer when I press on it but how soft should it feel to be fully ripe? I want to use it for a hot sauce I am going to make and don't want to cut it until it is ripe and flavorful. I know how to tell on a peach, I seldom buy a Mango so I'm in the dark.

HueyLD

Re: How to tell when a Mango is ripe?

Post by HueyLD » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:32 am

First, don't buy any that is hard as a rock.

Second, trust your nose more than your hands. A ripe mango gives out nice aroma unless it is rotten. You have a higher chance of having a mango go bad while waiting if you start out with a very green one.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:51 am

Seems like this is somewhat of an art that comes w/ experience. There doesn't seem to be an objective quantifiable
test.........like if it gives xxxx mils if I apply yyyyy pressure it is 50% ripe. The consoling thing is that it may taste good even if you are somewhat off. Some mangos are even eaten green.

http://carlsbadcravings.com/how-to-cut-a-mango/

HOW TO TELL IF A MANGO IS RIPE
To check for ripeness, focus on FEEL not color because every variety is a different color when ripe. For example, red doesn’t necessarily mean ripe.
Squeeze gently to judge ripeness. A ripe mango will give slightly, indicating soft flesh inside.
Use your experience with produce such as peaches or avocados, which also become softer as they ripen.
Ripe mangos will sometimes have a fruity aroma at their stem ends.

HOW TO RIPEN MANGOS
Keep unripe mangos at room temperature. Mangos shouldn’t be refrigerated before they are ripe.
Mangos will continue to ripen at room temperature, becoming sweeter and softer over several days.
F
Once ripe, mangos can be moved to the refrigerator to slow down ripening for several days.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:53 am

Mangoes don't ripen well off the branch. The sweetness and texture of the mango depends on the variety, not so much on how ripe it is. Some varieties, no matter how ripe, just don't taste good. Look for the smaller yellow mangoes that look like a "comma".

As for your question, ripe mangoes will "give" slightly when you press the flesh with a finger. It shouldn't sink in completely. Nor should it be completely hard like a rock. It should be like pressing into soft muscle, some resistance, but also slightly yielding. Another telltale sign is that ripe mangoes will usually give off sap at the ends - that's usually a good sign. Smelling mangoes is slightly less useful but part of the overall process. The sweeter it smells, the more likely it is to be ripe.

You should try to buy ripe mangoes that you can eat soon rather than waiting for them to ripen on your kitchen table.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:05 am

This is a great thread. My mango tree made 2 mangoes this year and I thought one was ripe but inside was hard as a rock. I hope some creature doesn't eat the other one before it looks ripe enough for me to pick. I believe I have a Keitt Mango.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:25 am

I gave up trying to figure it out.

If I want some mango, I just buy dried mango slices.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:43 am

I just recalled what my mother used to do to speed up the ripening of mangoes.

She put green mangoes into a big bowl of uncooked rice and close the lid. I think mangoes released some kind of gas in a closed rice container and the gas may have expedited the ripening. It worked.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:04 pm

https://www.google.com/search?q=ethylen ... e&ie=UTF-8

ethylene.........the brown paper bag does the same

NYGiantsFan

Post by NYGiantsFan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:31 pm

It depends on type of the mango. Some types are meant to use as a vegetable (for cooking) and they tend not to ripen easily. Some mangoes will remain green and can be complete ripe inside (Google langdo mango).
Best way to figure out is to smell it. Many types coming from Mexico doesn't have much smell (not a good quality either). I have been lucky to pick up decent mango from Sam's club recently.

socaldude

Post by socaldude » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Good mangos are usually a nice red & yellow. Supermarkets can be shady with all the fruit they sell, no integrity anymore. Out of season is a constant, customer busy--customer grab.Or crap from the southern hemisphere (sometimes also out of season). Forgive the rant but I always return crappy produce and I think more people should, they are paying pennies for much of what they sell. When produce is out of season they get it very very cheap!

Mjar

Post by Mjar » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:14 pm

zaplunken wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:23 am
I bought a Mango last Monday and it was hard as a rock. Today it is a bit softer when I press on it but how soft should it feel to be fully ripe? I want to use it for a hot sauce I am going to make and don't want to cut it until it is ripe and flavorful. I know how to tell on a peach, I seldom buy a Mango so I'm in the dark.
touch your thumb with your pinky finger then with the other hand touch the bottom of your thumb about inch higher than your wrist, that will give you the firmness to buy, then by the time you eat it at home it will be ripe

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:16 pm

zaplunken wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:23 am
Smell. A ripe mango has a very distinctive smell, although I would be hard pressed to describe it in words.

Put a mango in a brown paperlunch bag, and leave it out of the fridge to get it to ripen.

Topic Author
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:43 pm

Thanks everyone.

I'd say based on the advice here the "give" when gently pressed indicates that is it ripe. It has no smell. Mangos here are now in season, I wouldn't buy them outside of September but from the link maybe they are OK at other times. It was reddish on one side and green on the other and hard as a rock in the store, that is how they come here. Today the green side has lightened and is slightly reddish. Like a winter or out of season tomato, I have no illusions that this Mango is equal to a tree ripened Mango but I'm not in a subtropical part of the country. I will cook it with Pineapple and Habanero Peppers for about 10 minutes and use an immersion blender to puree the mix to make a hot sauce. So while I wouldn't want to use it rock hard, being softer after 8 days I think I'm good to go. I need to buy the Habs so the Mango has another day or 2 to finish up. I knew how to cut them to avoid the pit and then to score them into chunks.

Thanks for your help!

seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:43 pm

If you foul up and they aren't ripe, do what my Wife does

http://foodviva.com/mango-recipes/green ... ey-recipe/

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:13 pm

We have mangos all over the ground outside my office. The ones on the ground seem ripe :happy

Pinotage

Post by Pinotage » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:17 pm

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Might be overkill for you............get them from Costco....6 or so in a container. Wife has been buying them
weekly this yr. All good. If you don't like them.......return them........you might even feel guilty because they'll
take them back w/ no questions and dump them w/o even looking at them for full refund.....just bring back at least half of what was there originally.

Topic Author
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:54 pm

Pinotage wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:17 pm
viewtopic.php?t=239222
That was interesting, no Asian stores around here. So many varieties, it must be awesome to get these when they are ripe off the tree vs being picked green and shipped.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:33 pm

By smell and touch. Ripe ones give an unmistaken aroma and are little softer.
Keep it in a jar of rice/wheat or a gunny bag at normal temperature to ripen in one/two days.
You may have bought one meant for pickling purpose.
Mangoes are great to eat, but difficult to digest/have lot of sugar content, especially if you are above 40.

Topic Author
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:53 am

I sliced it and removed the flesh this morning. It is soft and probably as ripe as I'd want, too much longer and it might be turning. Not outstanding flavor but sweet. Like I said I equate this to an out of season tomato which is why the only fresh tomatoes I ever eat are grown in my garden.