a low grade in a 9th-grade test

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
goru1

a low grade in a 9th-grade test

Post by goru1 »

I am asking this question for a young person.

- in 8th grade, got A in 5 core subjects
- recommended for honors in 5 core subjects for 9th grade
- took honors in 5 core subjects in 9th grade
- got D in the first test of subject s1

Which option make sense?

- continue in honors in 5 core subjects
- at the end of the first term, if the grade is low in subject s1, go one level down from honors
- consider moving to a less competitive high school

Thanks.
AllenSmith

Re: a low grade in a 9th-grade test

Post by AllenSmith »

Don't panic - one test is irrelevant in the long run. Keep the tough classes and work a little harder. You can definitely succeed.
corysold

Post by corysold »

I'd say it's one test and to see how it goes. Also of note, that the requirements for good grades in high school are likely different than that of 8th grade. Study/note taking habits need to progress with the difficulty of the courses.

That said, the quality of the teachers matter as well. Just because they are teaching honors doesn't mean they are a good teacher. It might be worthwhile to see how the subject matter is being taught and what the expectations are relative to those lessons.

I removed a son from an honors class because I didn't feel he was being taught anything and the teacher's response was, "he should already know it".
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

goru1 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:28 am I am asking this question for a young person.

Which option make sense?

- at the end of the first term, if the grade is low in subject s1, go one level down from honors

Thanks.
good reminder they are not hot s*.
this will be a grit building time.

talk about the times kids are living in.......move to a worse HS? yea, that will really help them in the future.
johnbarry

Post by johnbarry »

goru1 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:28 am I am asking this question for a young person.

Which option make sense?

Thanks.
Totally depends on the psychology of the young person. The usual thing is to be very encouraging at the start, to build confidence (even if it’s unrealistic) and then give tougher challenges/be more realistic as the person builds skills.

I’d say to the young person that a D in some classes is much better than an A in others and not to get discouraged but to keep trying.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Just an anecdote. I breezed through high school. College was a shock when I had to study. Didn’t do too well at first until I actually studied. Is the child in question studying?
Cartographer

Post by Cartographer »

Moving high schools is overkill at this point.

My first inclination is to not panic and see how things go. The occasional D on an exam will not prevent the student from doing very well overall in high school.

I do think this is potentially very class dependent though. I had some classes in high school where a D on an exam was guaranteed to sink your overall grade, and others where it was easy to recover from. How large of a component of the overall grade is it? Also, how did other students do on the test? How is the student doing otherwise in the class? Is this a subject where the student has usually done well (indicating it may be a fluke)?

If you are concerned, it may be worth it to talk to the teacher about these things.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

First thing I do is check the test and see what went wrong. My daughter go an F on her first test in an honors course two weeks ago. Turned out the teacher keyed in the number of problems wrong so when she actually got a perfect 20 out of 20, it was graded as a 20 out of 200. Other times, I have found that the answer the teacher graded from was incorrect and had my daughter show work to get credit. It is disturbing how often has happened over the years.

If the student legitimately missed the problems, I wouldn't panic on the first test. Help them understand where they went wrong and get them on course for the next test.
TIAX

Post by TIAX »

goru1 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:28 am - took honors in 5 core subjects in 9th grade
What was the subject and why did the student get the D? Was it lack of studying, poor teaching, or some other reason? Has the student considered tutoring for this one subject? I certainly wouldn't transfer high schools over one subject.
plantingourpennies

Post by plantingourpennies »

At some point in schooling your natural ability runs out, and you have to "learn how to learn."

This is a meta-skill that will help them the rest of their lives, and includes things like how to take notes, how to study, how to ask teachers for help, and how to form study groups. Other supporting skills like time prioritization and reading comprehension also improve.

It's way better to learn how to learn in 9th grade, rather than college.
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

First, kudos for having the foresight to consider all your options when you encounter a problem. That is FAR more valuable skill set then what you get in any one subject.

To answer your question back to you is why did you get a D in the first place? Presumbably, it wasn't because you were a slacker. Is the course material too difficult? Is the other class work to much of a commitment that you aren't able to focus on this one? The answer to that question will give you more insight on the correct decision.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Which option make sense?
Thanks.
I suspect something is (or is not) going on here. Before making a decision or taking any actions, I would do my best to find out what is or is not going on.
TigerNest

Post by TigerNest »

A good life lesson.

Definitely do not give up on honors classes (let alone switch schools - yikes).

I’d suggest talking to the kid to find out what went wrong. Then I’d suggest he or she meet with the teacher to discuss what went wrong, and ask them to help make a plan to get back on the right track for the rest of the semester. Have a parent review the plan and check in periodically to see if they’re on track.

It’s healthy to start meeting some resistance in grading. It may mean they’re finally being challenged. It’ll teach them some resilience that will be essential for success in higher level classes. Or maybe it means they have a bad teacher that dislikes them. I had one or two of those. That too is an uncomfortable but necessary lesson. Learning how to deal with that is important in life as well, as most of us who have had bad bosses can attest.

I remember getting Ds and Cs on several important essays in 9th grade English, after sailing through honors classes in middle school. I ended up going to an Ivy League school and was valedictorian of my class in graduate school. If this your kid, don’t be too hard on them. View this as a way to help them develop resilience to overcome failures in an environment where the long run consequences are quite low.
Watty

Post by Watty »

The first thing to do would be to talk with your kid and to see why they think they got the D.

The next thing would be to contact the teacher to find out what is going on.

It could be something simple like the test was too hard and all the students did badly. Some teachers don't grade on a curve so getting a 65% on the test could actually be the best that anyone did.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Watty wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 am The first thing to do would be to talk with your kid and to see why they think they got the D.

The next thing would be to contact the teacher to find out what is going on.

It could be something simple like the test was too hard and all the students did badly. Some teachers don't grade on a curve so getting a 65% on the test could actually be the best that anyone did.
If this is just one subject AND the student was able to receive high grades in the past with very little effort - then it may be that, for this subject, a different approach may be needed. I speak from experience (going from High School to college).
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

plantingourpennies wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:51 am At some point in schooling your natural ability runs out, and you have to "learn how to learn."

This is a meta-skill that will help them the rest of their lives, and includes things like how to take notes, how to study, how to ask teachers for help, and how to form study groups. Other supporting skills like time prioritization and reading comprehension also improve.

+1.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew »

If it were my daughter, I would expect her to meet with the her teacher for additional coaching and tutoring.

This is the norm at her high school, and if your daughter’s teacher is willing to work with her one-on-one, that might help maximize your daughter’s learning and intellectual growth.

Andy.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Clearly, they hate the teacher. There is nothing one can do. I was that kid, except the course was a required one to graduate and the semester grade was an F.

They could also be rebelling against the parent.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
TIAX

Post by TIAX »

livesoft wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:38 am Clearly, they hate the teacher. There is nothing one can do. I was that kid, except the course was a required one to graduate and the semester grade was an F.

What was the class, why did you hate the teacher, and how did you manage to graduate?
dm200

Post by dm200 »

KlangFool wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:21 am
plantingourpennies wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:51 am At some point in schooling your natural ability runs out, and you have to "learn how to learn."
+1.
KlangFool
Yes! I wish I had done so...
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

There could be so many reasons one could get a D. I got an F on the first test of the year, the first week of the year in freshman English. Apparently when I showed up to a private high school they had actually expected us to read the assigned summer reading. Who knew?
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Study for one hour 7-8 PM every weekday. Tutoring as well if necessary. Good study habits prepare you for college. Although you don't really need AP courses to go to a top school. I think an A in general track might be better than a B in AP courses.
I've met a few doctors that admit they are of average intelligence but they made the time commitment to succeed. In contrast, smart kids that can get by without studying and are bored usually don't do as well.
celia

Post by celia »

The student should drop out of school and stay home playing video games all day.

Just kidding. :D But the other options you offered are just avoiding challenges.

Ask the student why he/she got the grade they received.
They likely know if it was lack of studying, sleeping in class, peer pressure to do poorly (if hanging with the wrong crowd), being sick, etc. Regardless of what the student says, it is time for the student to see the teacher after class or after school. Many students are reluctant to take that initiative and it may be scary at first, but that is what students do who truly want to excel.

After all, it could be that the average score on the test was a D. (I once got a D on a college test but was the highest scorer on the test, so the instructor learned that she didn't convey the lesson(s) properly and went back over it again.) One of my kids also had an AP course teacher who gave every test as if it was the official AP exam, including the essay. Most students failed miserably on the first test, but got better during the year, only to excel on the official exam.

So there may be a few lessons here on learning how to learn, taking advantage of other resources, looking out/speaking out for oneself. Talk it over with the student and discuss all the options you both can come up with and have the student follow through with the best ones. If the student does miserably on the second test, then you (the parent) can intervene and talk to the teacher.

This will be a good lesson, since you won't be present when the student is in college and something similar happens there. And you won't be present at the student's first full-time job to intervene.
MiddleOfTheRoad

Post by MiddleOfTheRoad »

+1.

KlangFool
+1M

Got knocked down? Better learn to get back up. It will happen again and again later in your professional and personal life.

You don’t like the teacher? Unless they are vindictive or abusive, that is not a good reason to bail. Time to learn to put your personal feelings aside and focus on what needs to be done.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

dm200 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:05 am
+1.
KlangFool
Yes! I wish I had done so...
dm200,

3 essential major meta-skills that are not taught by the school:

A) How to think

B) How to learn

C) How to communicate

So, what actually are the schools good for?

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Discussions such as this make me sad. I saw a recent article reporting that the American Academy of Pediatrics is recommending that doctors advise parents to schedule more "play" into their child's busy lives.

I am grateful that my parents allowed me to follow my own path to maturity. They never forced me to study, and I was a B and C student through most of my academic career. Somehow I managed to get 3 bachelor's degrees and a doctorate, and have a successful career in health care.

My mother never forced me to practice my instrument, but I became a professional musician. My father never pushed me in sports, but at 71 I am now in far better physical condition than most of my peers.

9th grade is 9th grade.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
alec

Post by alec »

My son, now a junior, did this in 9th grade and 10th grade. We talked to him and then talked to the teachers at the quarterly parent/teacher conferences, to which we brought our son. :twisted:

He had to figure out how to study, even after rolling his eyes at all my suggestions, all of which he then implemented. :D
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Jazztonight wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:35 am Discussions such as this make me sad. I saw a recent article reporting that the American Academy of Pediatrics is recommending that doctors advise parents to schedule more "play" into their child's busy lives.

I am grateful that my parents allowed me to follow my own path to maturity. They never forced me to study, and I was a B and C student through most of my academic career. Somehow I managed to get 3 bachelor's degrees and a doctorate, and have a successful career in health care.

My mother never forced me to practice my instrument, but I became a professional musician. My father never pushed me in sports, but at 71 I am now in far better physical condition than most of my peers.

9th grade is 9th grade.
Great thoughts. 9th grade won’t determine the future.
adam1712

Post by adam1712 »

Is this a similar or much different peer group from 8th to 9th grade? Are the students all coming from similar 8th grade schools? If not, make sure the student is not behind in material that was covered in 7th/8th grade for the other students.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

TIAX wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:52 am
livesoft wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:38 am Clearly, they hate the teacher. There is nothing one can do. I was that kid, except the course was a required one to graduate and the semester grade was an F.

What was the class, why did you hate the teacher, and how did you manage to graduate?
11th grade English. First Semester A and Second Semester F averages to a C for the year.

I went on to be admitted to every college I applied to. I asked my Senior English teacher for a letter of recommendation for my applications. I graduated from a private elite college a few years later.
buccimane

Post by buccimane »

livesoft wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:01 pm 11th grade English. First Semester A and Second Semester F averages to a C for the year.

I went on to be admitted to every college I applied to. I asked my Senior English teacher for a letter of recommendation for my applications. I graduated from a private elite college a few years later.
I am always amazed when BogleHeads remember specific grades they got, in a specific class, during a specific year. <10 year out of high school, and I could not name 95% of teachers, let alone grades from that time.

That said, this is the best advice in the thread IMO:
Jazztonight wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:35 am I am grateful that my parents allowed me to follow my own path to maturity. They never forced me to study, and I was a B and C student through most of my academic career. Somehow I managed to get 3 bachelor's degrees and a doctorate, and have a successful career in health care.

9th grade is 9th grade.
Biased opinion though; this is how I was raised..
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

buccimane wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:21 pm I am always amazed when BogleHeads remember specific grades they got, in a specific class, during a specific year. <10 year out of high school, and I could not name 95% of teachers, let alone grades from that time.
When I was a senior in high school we only had gym 6 times a quarter. Consequently if you forgot your uniform twice you auto failed. I failed first marking period gym--when I got the report card home I remember ever so slightly filling in the space of the F to make it a P (gym was Pass/Fail) when I had to show it to my parents...and then having to do it every marking period since a fresh new F appeared every quarter. I never asked if they knew, they may have and didn't care, but it was never spoken about. I'll never forget it.

I also remember getting 78 in freshman biology one marking period and instead of having my parents sign the report card I just went to detention for a month straight before finally showing it to them.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

+1

OP, the kid needs to figure out what to do; here, you need to be the guide, but not the person solving the problem. Start by asking what went wrong. Then the kid -- not you -- should meet with the teacher. Then you can see what's needed -- more studying, a tutor, etc. But the first step cannot be Janie didn't get an A so we need to switch schools. That teaches Janie that her fate is written by her grade on one exam and that she should quit whenever something is hard because "being competitive" is more important than actually learning anything.
downshiftme

Post by downshiftme »

There are lots of reasons this could happen. The most likely is that some assignment was missed or misunderstood, such as studying chapter one and getting tested on chapter two, or general lack of studying. Many "good" students have terrible study habits as they are never challenged by material or tests until they hit college.

Alternatively, this could be a ploy by a teacher. I was in several "honors" classes that made a deliberate effort to give shockingly low grades on the first few tests in order to shock otherwise complacent bright students into actually working on studying that semester.

Or, sadly, it could be just a terrible teacher. I have encountered a few of those personally and in my kids' classes.

This is unlikely to be a once in a lifetime incident. and your student will need to learn how to overcome obstacles like this on their own. By all means talk to your kid, explore and suggest alternate explanations and alternate response possibilities. Many situations are not clearly one reason or another, but some blended combination of reasons and often some approach with multiple prongs are best. Better attention to assigned reading, writing down assignments in a known location, actually studying, getting help from a teacher or tutor or parent for any concepts that are unclear, making an appointment with teacher (student, not the parent) to talk about what went wrong, trying practice tests or seeking alternate textbooks. There are lots of possibilities for the student to choose among.

In rare cases it really is a problem with the teacher or school, and the parent can help with escalating the issues, but this is rarely the root problem and rarely successful. Empowering the student to address the issues or at least find a way to cope and accommodate on their own is usually the best long term solution.
MJW

Post by MJW »

There must be something I've missed or overlooked here. Maybe it's because I don't have kids or perhaps I was oblivious to how I managed to make it through high school, college, and two graduate programs. The kid got off to a rough start by doing poorly on one test and one of the options being discussed is essentially to blow the whole thing up and start over? Obviously I would want to figure out what went wrong, but I'm not sure I would read much into it unless I knew the kid and there were other concerns that the OP didn't share. But again, perhaps I don't "get it" because I'm not a parent.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

buccimane wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:21 pmI am always amazed when BogleHeads remember specific grades they got, in a specific class, during a specific year. <10 year out of high school, and I could not name 95% of teachers, let alone grades from that time.
It's not hard to remember just the two grades you ever got in high school. :twisted:

It could be harder to remember the name of the teacher except when "Who is the teacher you hated the most in high school?" is one of your password restore questions.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

Dottie57 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:47 am Just an anecdote. I breezed through high school. College was a shock when I had to study. Didn’t do too well at first until I actually studied. Is the child in question studying?
This sounds like something I could have written!
TigerNest wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:07 am I’d suggest talking to the kid to find out what went wrong. Then I’d suggest he or she meet with the teacher to discuss what went wrong, and ask them to help make a plan to get back on the right track for the rest of the semester. Have a parent review the plan and check in periodically to see if they’re on track.
I agree with this plan of action. You may get some insight from either the teacher or the student to determine if honors is appropriate. If the child has natural talent, they may just need to actually study.

Heck, at that age it could just be as simple as an attractive classmate in that particular class distracting the student....
FireAway

Post by FireAway »

Were the previous A's "honest" A's?

At my children's high school, the norm for homework was for everybody to just copy the answers from whoever got them first. This is made easy by instagram, snapchat, text, facetime, etc. For tests, children were permitted to retake as many times as necessary to get a good grade. So a typical procedure (for many) was to not study at all, and take the first test 'blind'. Once you know what the questions are, and some of your friends know what the answers are, use this information to take the test again to boost your score. Repeat as necessary until your grade is 'good enough'. If your grade isn't as high as you want by the end of the semester, you can ask your teacher for 'extra credit' work, which will boost your grade by a few points, without really requiring you to know the material. As a result, one of my children can't recall virtually anything she has been taught.

If you child got his A's the easy way (and I'm not suggesting s/he did, just pointing at a possibility) then it wouldn't be surprising if he couldn't do well in subsequent courses.

On the other hand, if he did come about them honestly, then my advice mirrors that of others: He needs to figure out specifically why he did poorly, and work to address that issue. One bad grade shouldn't be a reason to give up.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

Wow, a single D on a test has you considering moving child to a less competitive school… 

What life lesson are you modeling for your child if you do that?

In 9th grade, kids are not missing a single beat from their parents.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

Let this situation play out. I wouldn't say a word until the next assessment. If the score improves, I would provide some positive reinforcement. If it doesn't improve on the next assessment, I would do what others are suggesting and ask the child what he/she thinks is happening and go from there. The adolescent period is a time when a child needs to develop a sense of independence.

Is the child getting a good grade for you or himself/herself? I've witnessed so many bright students with wonderful futures ahead of them have fragile mental health because of unnecessary parental pressure. Be supportive, not controlling.

Ultimately, it's just one test in the first few weeks of school. The teacher is probably just trying to set the bar high.
MtnTraveler

Post by MtnTraveler »

I'm completely guessing that you found out about this through an online parent portal and not through your daughter. One D isn't the end of the world but at the same time if that class isn't a fit for your daughter than it isn't a fit. I guess try to find out from her what she thinks happened and go from there.

As a side note my daughter informed me during the first week of her junior year that she was dropping honors history. She said she felt she was going to be spread too thin, etc with her other honors classes so I signed the form saying she could drop it. This summer (3 yrs later) she casually mentions that she dropped the class because she didn't want to write a 25 pg paper and that was a requirement of the class. I just had to laugh. That reasoning would not have gone over well 3 yrs ago but now I realize that it didn't matter. She enjoyed the regular history class and her grade reflected that.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

I am asking this question for a young person.

prob not what you want to hear but some middle schools (6th-8th) operate on social promotion and "all As" in middle school can have little meaning.

Maybe this 'young person' is finally being challenged and finally has to "work" to succeed. Welcome to reality.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Good question but a year too early, imo. Lots of teachers "re-set" expectations with a tough test, etc., at the outset -- especially with promotion to a new school. I don't agree wit that but I don't think it's uncommon. I recall a similar example in one of my schools.

I agree with others who suggest helping your child brainstorm what to improve for next time.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

Such great suggestions above.

If it were me I would investigate and make sure the child has what they need (tutoring).

I would NOT rescue them by pulling them out of the course or changing schools. We need to let our children fail from time to time. It is far healthier for them to learn to fail at a younger age than a later age.

Best of luck to you!
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

This relationship issue has run its course and is locked.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi