$180 IPhone SE or $90 Iphone 5S

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

$180 IPhone SE or $90 Iphone 5S

Post by Caduceus »

I need to get a cellphone in the next day. I have narrowed it down to two options:

Option 1: $180 Brand New Factory Unlocked Iphone SE, 32 GB.

Option 2: $90 Manufacturer Refurbished Iphone 5S, 16GB.

Which one is a better value? I won't be using this phone much - it's going to be more like a backup phone and I will bring it with me when traveling so that I won't lose my primary phone with all its data. Will 16GB be enough? Is there any reason to get Option 1?
alfaspider

Re: $180 IPhone SE or $90 Iphone 5S

Post by alfaspider »

Caduceus wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:39 am I need to get a cellphone in the next day. I have narrowed it down to two options:

Which one is a better value? I won't be using this phone much - it's going to be more like a backup phone and I will bring it with me when traveling so that I won't lose my primary phone with all its data. Will 16GB be enough? Is there any reason to get Option 1?
My understanding is that the SE has the same guts as the 5S. If you don't have nay significant storage needs, go with the 5S- make sure it is unlocked though. If you really need a burner phone, you might also consider a $50 android unit.
ilisira

Post by ilisira »

alfaspider wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:44 am
Caduceus wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:39 am I need to get a cellphone in the next day. I have narrowed it down to two options:

My understanding is that the SE has the same guts as the 5S. If you don't have nay significant storage needs, go with the 5S- make sure it is unlocked though. If you really need a burner phone, you might also consider a $50 android unit.
If I remember correctly, SE has the same processor with the 6s, but has less memory. Compared to 5s, SE has NFC (apple pay), and has a processor that's much newer, with the same amount of memory. I'd expect the SE will be supported at least one iOS major release later than the 5S. I do recommend the SE.

http://micgadget.com/36753/iphone-se-vs ... re-models/
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

The SE is on par with the 6S. SE > 5s.

At this point, I would look at a refurb 7 if you intend to keep it for a couple years. The 5s and SE are moving into the 'old tech' zone.
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

ilisira wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:58 am

If I remember correctly, SE has the same processor with the 6s, but has less memory. Compared to 5s, SE has NFC (apple pay), and has a processor that's much newer, with the same amount of memory. I'd expect the SE will be supported at least one iOS major release later than the 5S. I do recommend the SE.

This is correct. SE is, for all intents and purposes, 2 generations ahead of the 5S. I have the SE and love it. Choosing between 5S and SE, for $90 difference, would be a no-brainer for the SE. If only because it will be two years longer (at least) on the iOS updates.
camillus

Post by camillus »

I would strongly consider moving to a 7.

The SEs do not have access to the full bands of cellular networks. If you want full LTE, they are more or less tied to the carrier they are designed for, and subsequent MNVOs. Buying an SE might be a cost saver, but over the long term you are stuck with a network - more or less. This can end up costing you.

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/G ... er-carrier
https://www.pcmag.com/news/343091/the-i ... r-agnostic

My story is this:

DW and I got iPhone SEs to take advantage of a year's free service with Virgin Mobile. A similar offer is available for Sprint right now. The deal was great, but now that it's over we'd like to switch around to find the best rate. Unfortunately, we are more or less stuck on the Sprint/Virgin network. I ended up downgrading our data and paying $30/mo per line, which is not too bad after a year of free service and two $280 iPhones.
51% US / 34% ex-US / 15% “bond”
MrBeaver

Post by MrBeaver »

Ditto on recommending the SE.

While the 5s will support iOS 12, the SE will be much faster, and I’d wager that the 5s, and 6 will drop off the supported devices list for iOS 13 next year.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209051

But selfishly, I just wish they would update the SE so I could get a faster non-huge not super expensive phone. ;)
b4nash

Post by b4nash »

If you plan on using it for more than a year, I'd go SE.
ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus »

I have an SE and am happy with it. I prefer the smaller iPhone to fit in my pocket. I wouldn’t buy a 5s. Too old.

That said, even the SE is a bit old now ( Apple stopped selling it last week). But for $180 it’s a good iPhone.

Btw, this post made on my SE.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

b4nash wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:18 am If you plan on using it for more than a year, I'd go SE.
That's a good point. The 5s will stop getting updates after ios12.
LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 »

Ditto on the SE, definitely an upgrade over the 5S.

Targeting that for my new phone when my existing 5S finally decides to not work.

I have noticed my 5S to finally show old age in terms of processing power and the demand apps put on the phone.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

camillus wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:12 am I would strongly consider moving to a 7.

The SEs do not have access to the full bands of cellular networks. If you want full LTE, they are more or less tied to the carrier they are designed for, and subsequent MNVOs. Buying an SE might be a cost saver, but over the long term you are stuck with a network - more or less. This can end up costing you.

My story is this:

DW and I got iPhone SEs to take advantage of a year's free service with Virgin Mobile. A similar offer is available for Sprint right now. The deal was great, but now that it's over we'd like to switch around to find the best rate. Unfortunately, we are more or less stuck on the Sprint/Virgin network. I ended up downgrading our data and paying $30/mo per line, which is not too bad after a year of free service and two $280 iPhones.
This is misleading. Most SE’s can be moved around from carrier to carrier, ie AT&T/T mobile/Verizon networks. The separate Sprint/global model which you have was the exception. With the 7’s and 8’s, you must be careful as the AT&T version can not be taken to a CDMA carrier like Verizon or Sprint. The new XR and XS will be the first one with just one US model that works on all US carriers in a long time.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

For a $90 difference there is no comparison. New vs used, 5s processor vs 6s in the SE. And what about the battery? A battery replacement can cost almost the same as the price difference in the phones. Additionally, the SE has double the storage space so you will not have to worry about it if you want to shoot video or download shows.

But, my other thought is this, do you need a separate phone to travel with? You said you are concerned about data loss. But, you can either use a local external hard drive or the iCloud to back up your current phone data as a precaution. What model is your primary phone?
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Other people also corrected this, but I think you had things reversed; the SE has the same footprint/externals/etc as the SE, with much better internals, touchid for unlock and so forth. So things like cases for the 5S fit the SE and like it ... good for those not wanting giant phones.
camillus

Post by camillus »

Katietsu wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:12 am
camillus wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:12 am I would strongly consider moving to a 7.

My story is this:

This is misleading. Most SE’s can be moved around from carrier to carrier, ie AT&T/T mobile/Verizon networks. The separate Sprint/global model which you have was the exception. With the 7’s and 8’s, you must be careful as the AT&T version can not be taken to a CDMA carrier like Verizon or Sprint. The new XR and XS will be the first one with just one US model that works on all US carriers in a long time.
Thanks for the clarification.
51% US / 34% ex-US / 15% “bond”
Beach

Post by Beach »

Happy SE owner here. Not looking forward to upgrading to a big faced phone, this is the perfect size.
Kevin8696

Post by Kevin8696 »

Who's selling the SE for $180 ?
Last edited by Kevin8696 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Thanks! I decided to go with the SE since I managed to find a new one for $150.
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

Beach wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:53 pm Happy SE owner here. Not looking forward to upgrading to a big faced phone, this is the perfect size.
Apparently I’m not the only one annoyed that the SE-sized iPhones are likely to be phased out. I find the size of the 7s and up to be both harder to use in my smallish hands and much less comfortable in front pant or shirt pocket.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Kevin8696 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:10 pm Who's selling the SE for $180 ?
I bought mine over the counter at Target.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

ccieemeritus wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:19 am I have an SE and am happy with it. I prefer the smaller iPhone to fit in my pocket.
Same here. I wanted a phone, not a "Phablet"
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

TN_Boy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:04 pm

Other people also corrected this, but I think you had things reversed; the SE has the same footprint/externals/etc as the 5s, with much better internals, touchid for unlock and so forth. So things like cases for the 5S fit the SE and like it ... good for those not wanting giant phones.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I bought an IPhone 7s after losing my 5. Of course my 5 was found 2 weeks after that. It still works well. I would still be using it if hadn’t been lost.

Either is fine.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Caduceus wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:31 am Thanks! I decided to go with the SE since I managed to find a new one for $150.
Congrats, it's a great phone! That's the price I was able to score mine at last September, and it felt like a steal. I would recommend upgrading to iOS 12, as it has given my already-good phone a NOTICEABLE performance improvement. :beer
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 »

donaldfair71 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:09 am
ilisira wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:58 am

This is correct. SE is, for all intents and purposes, 2 generations ahead of the 5S. I have the SE and love it. Choosing between 5S and SE, for $90 difference, would be a no-brainer for the SE. If only because it will be two years longer (at least) on the iOS updates.
+1 I am a former owner of the 5S and a current owner of an SE and agree 100% for the reasons stated.
Momus

Post by Momus »

None. I'd pick up a used LG G5 for $100 at ebay. It's a much more capable device than SE or 5S (can't even believe someone wants this version of iphone)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.gadgetsn ... E-vs-LG-G5

Better ram, better resolution, bigger, better camera front AND rear, better screen to body ratio, better processor, better battery life.

Not even a comparison.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

Bmac wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:55 amApparently I’m not the only one annoyed that the SE-sized iPhones are likely to be phased out. I find the size of the 7s and up to be both harder to use in my smallish hands and much less comfortable in front pant or shirt pocket.
SE, 6, 6S and the X were all discontinued as of last Wednesday, September 12th and are off the Apple website. Once the remaining inventory is sold for each of those models in stores - they are gone.

Entry level is now the 7. The XS, XS Max are available this Friday. XR on October 26th.

iPhone SE - 4.87 x 2.31 x .30 inches
iPhone 7 - 5.44 x 2.64 x .28 inches

The 7 is only 1/3rd of an inch wider, and 9/16th's of an inch longer than the SE.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

A few months ago, my 5S with 32 GB fell into a pool and went caput. A shame, cuz that 5S was a tank. Zero problems.

I replaced it with an SE 128 GB, and it is certainly a lot faster.

I used to fill up 32 GB pretty quickly, so my SE has 128 GB. I love the extra space.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

CyclingDuo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:00 pm
Bmac wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:55 amApparently I’m not the only one annoyed that the SE-sized iPhones are likely to be phased out. I find the size of the 7s and up to be both harder to use in my smallish hands and much less comfortable in front pant or shirt pocket.
SE, 6, 6S and the X were all discontinued as of last Wednesday, September 12th and are off the Apple website. Once the remaining inventory is sold for each of those models in stores - they are gone.

Entry level is now the 7. The XS, XS Max are available this Friday. XR on October 26th.

The 7 is only 1/3rd of an inch wider, and 9/16th's of an inch longer than the SE.
And the next size up is even a less difference:

iPhone XS - 143.6 x 70.9 x 7.7 mm (5.65 x 2.79 x 0.30 in) and 177g (6.24 oz)

Still, I find the SE to be the best size for fitting in the pocket, and I hope they make a full screen with notch version. Maybe call it the XXS. I still think they should have call it the XL vs XS Plus, but that might be a future model.

Anyway, at those prices, either is a good choice given current state. The 5S will work and even if they stop updates, will continue to work a couple more years. The SE is more future proof, but you never know how long into the future. Let your timing, usage and demands dictate the purchase.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

inbox788 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:17 pm

Still, I find the SE to be the best size for fitting in the pocket, and I hope they make a full screen with notch version. Maybe call it the XXS. I still think they should have call it the XL vs XS Plus, but that might be a future model.

Anyway, at those prices, either is a good choice given current state. The 5S will work and even if they stop updates, will continue to work a couple more years. The SE is more future proof, but you never know how long into the future. Let your timing, usage and demands dictate the purchase.
I wouldn't hold your breath on an iPhone SE update. I personally see no signs of one coming, and there has been ample time on Apple's part to release one. That being said, the SE as it stands is an excellent choice and I think it'll remain functional for 2-3 more years. :beer
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

inbox788 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:17 pm

Yes, smaller phones could easily fit in one's front pocket, but the 6, 7, 8, X all easily fit in back pockets, shirt pockets, coat pockets without any issue. XS Max is the name, rather than XS Plus.
inbox788 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:17 pmAnyway, at those prices, either is a good choice given current state. The 5S will work and even if they stop updates, will continue to work a couple more years. The SE is more future proof, but you never know how long into the future. Let your timing, usage and demands dictate the purchase.
There is always the iPhone upgrade program where you get a new phone every year to stay cutting edge. :beer

https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphon ... de-program

Apple has the GiveBack program where you can trade in an older phone for some value as long as it is working and in good shape.

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

CyclingDuo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:10 pmThere is always the iPhone upgrade program where you get a new phone every year to stay cutting edge. :beer

Apple has the GiveBack program where you can trade in an older phone for some value as long as it is working and in good shape.

Not the cheapest program by any means, and not suggested for OPs travel phone.

Yeah I noticed the Plus vs Max error when I was reading another article. Maybe the iPhone Min might be a good name for the new SE or would that be XS Min.

I don't get phones in back pockets, but I didn't like wallets there either and it's fairly common. Always afraid it will fall out, break when sat on, and it's uncomfortable as well. I've seen folks with their phones sticking out 2/3 of the way and wonder why they don't fall out and crack or break. I suspect sometimes they do.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

inbox788 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:19 pm
CyclingDuo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:10 pmThere is always the iPhone upgrade program where you get a new phone every year to stay cutting edge. :beer

Not the cheapest program by any means, and not suggested for OPs travel phone.

Yeah I noticed the Plus vs Max error when I was reading another article. Maybe the iPhone Min might be a good name for the new SE or would that be XS Min.

I don't get phones in back pockets, but I didn't like wallets there either and it's fairly common. Always afraid it will fall out, break when sat on, and it's uncomfortable as well. I've seen folks with their phones sticking out 2/3 of the way and wonder why they don't fall out and crack or break. I suspect sometimes they do.
Tight pants - the trend today - pretty much renders the front pockets useless. That and the bend between leg and hip making the front pocket anatomically difficult for anything larger than a flip phone to be stored there leads to the back pocket real estate as standard phone toting these days. Sit on your phone once and break it, one will quickly learn not to do that again. Shirt pockets are also a fashion trend of yesterday, so again - the back side real estate prevails.

I wouldn’t bank on anything the size of a 5 or SE returning to the line up simply because the evolution of the device (no matter what brand) has moved beyond the smaller platform of just being a phone.
cdu7

Post by cdu7 »

SE hands down, way better hardware.